• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Daily Challenge: Cost vs. Reward, or "That's Funny, Inno"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorbackPirate

I think you rather miss my point, which was that I have no issue with skipping a daily challenge having what I consider to be inadequate reward for the tasks required. This was in response to your statement that there is “No point in picking and choosing when the goal is to open the weekly chest,” and in response to the notion that there is no correlation between the tasks given and the prize.

The “weekly chest” is a construct dating back to the time when one actually had to complete all the dailies within the week or lose all progress toward opening that chest, and under that system your statement regarding not picking and choosing made sense. However, since there is at present no such time pressure there is no pressing need to complete each daily challenge without consideration of the costs and benefits involved - unless one feels compelled to complete each daily regardless. Now, you have your own goals so you’re quite welcome to “you do you.”

As for your response above regarding a player being able to control to an extent what tasks do or do not get presented, while interesting (and well known) it has nothing to do with my point.
Which then means your point has nothing to do with mine. You like to skip some, I complete them since no task I get is so onerous it's worth skipping. As I said earlier, the only time I won't complete a Daily is if the number of long term productions are such that they can't be completed within 24 hours.

You gave what for you, is the most onerous task, one you won't complete unless the reward is stellar. Okay, I don't get those. Maybe if I got them, I'd feel differently, but I control the Daily Challenge system so I never get them. No reason not to complete it in that case.

And it's the Challenger's Chest. Sorry for using incorrect terminology leading you down a rabbit hole of how thing used to be, for what, not even three months? I was playing, I remember. Which has no bearing on the conversation anyway. My goal is to earn the Challenger's Chest every seven days. I'll let you do the math, but I'm pretty sure the player who opens 50 a year gets more stuff then the player who opens 35.

When there is no correlation between the task and the prize, when each completion gets you closer to the Challenger's Chest, when you can control the tasks to eliminate the most onerous of them, leaving tasks that can then be completed in the normal course of daily gameplay, I see no reason not to complete the Daily Challenge daily.

You also think it's a notion that there is no correlation between the tasks given and the prize selected. It's not a notion, it's a fact. My choice is based on that fact and understanding the law of averages.

Which takes us back to your example of when you won't complete the Daily. To which my response is, "that never happens to me." No need to skip for that reason, "that never happens to me." Control your game and it would never happen to you either.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

Yeah, but at some point you're just doing that for AD fodder, because the need for Reno Kits, Store Buildings, and most of the rest is past.
Absolutely. Why leave money on the table? 5 of 7 days they nearly complete themselves, the few tasks that don't take nothing to complete. It would be completely different if I had 20+ cities, but I don't. I have two. One I play, the other, a previously abandoned city turned diamond farm. If anything, it adds a bit of variety to my daily city routine.

DevaCat

Which then means your point has nothing to do with mine. You like to skip some, I complete them since no task I get is so onerous it's worth skipping. As I said earlier, the only time I won't complete a Daily is if the number of long term productions are such that they can't be completed within 24 hours.

You gave what for you, is the most onerous task, one you won't complete unless the reward is stellar. Okay, I don't get those. Maybe if I got them, I'd feel differently, but I control the Daily Challenge system so I never get them. No reason not to complete it in that case.

And it's the Challenger's Chest. Sorry for using incorrect terminology leading you down a rabbit hole of how thing used to be, for what, not even three months? I was playing, I remember. Which has no bearing on the conversation anyway. My goal is to earn the Challenger's Chest every seven days. I'll let you do the math, but I'm pretty sure the player who opens 50 a year gets more stuff then the player who opens 35.

When there is no correlation between the task and the prize, when each completion gets you closer to the Challenger's Chest, when you can control the tasks to eliminate the most onerous of them, leaving tasks that can then be completed in the normal course of daily gameplay, I see no reason not to complete the Daily Challenge daily.

You also think it's a notion that there is no correlation between the tasks given and the prize selected. It's not a notion, it's a fact. My choice is based on that fact and understanding the law of averages.

Which takes us back to your example of when you won't complete the Daily. To which my response is, "that never happens to me." No need to skip for that reason, "that never happens to me." Control your game and it would never happen to you either.
One last attempt at clarity then I’ll let this go. The example I gave of skipping a daily challenge requiring taking multiple cmap sectors was to illustrate what I considered too much required for a paltry reward, much as the example JBG gave of trading a lot of goods for a few medals. You know, the OP?

Nowhere did I state that I find the take sectors task onerous - you read that into what I wrote. Nowhere did I state I had problems with or could not complete such tasks, nor did I state that I was in fact seeing such tasks at present. You are making assumptions. Just as I would be making assumptions if I was to suggest that if you were to redesign your city you too could complete those lengthy production tasks you find onerous and skip - I certainly have no difficulty completing those myself so why should you?

As far as you completing a chest a week over the course of a year and ending up with more toys over time than someone who skips some (I never stated that I was skipping any dailies now did I?) who cares but you? Want a gold sticker with that?

And to repeat the implication that I do not understand how to control the tasks I am presented or that I am not in control of my own game is purely arrogant condescension.

RazorbackPirate

As far as you completing a chest a week over the course of a year and ending up with more toys over time than someone who skips some (I never stated that I was skipping any dailies now did I?) who cares but you?
Yes you did. Stop playing like you don't. I'm old enough to remember when you wrote this,
Correlation: task requiring 5 cmap sectors for pitiful reward means taking a pass that day for me, even with end goal is to open that weekly chest. To do otherwise might have mattered once back when there was a time limit to get it done.
Taking a pass is not the same as skipping? I don't care that you skip.

And if it's all so easy and doesn't matter, why is this the one that gets skipped? 5 C-map sectors in 24 hours too onerous much for you? Why else would you 'take a pass' skip it?
And to repeat the implication that I do not understand how to control the tasks I am presented or that I am not in control of my own game is purely arrogant condescension.
I don't care if you control your DC or not. You gave your best example of the tasks you skip. My answer? I never get tasks like that, I have no need to skip them. Somehow that got you really activated. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.