• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Daily Challenge: Cost vs. Reward, or "That's Funny, Inno"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny B. Goode

Absolutely not complaining here. DCs are something I do when I feel like it, and ignore otherwise. Today I was bored, so I was checking some out in a few of my cities. Pretty standard stuff mostly. Some rewards worth getting, some requirements not too difficult/time consuming. Then this one.

Iron Age city. One reward chest was the one with either a Champ Retreat or varying number of Champions. I have no use for Champs, especially in lower ages, so...
The other rewards chest was "A Lot of Medals". How many is a lot, you may ask. Apparently 50 is a lot. Well, at least 50 medals would be better than Champs I would never use, so...
I click on the medals chest and up pop the requirements.
"Contribute 5 Forge Points to Great Buildings." No problem there, I was about to put my daily collection of FP on my Zeus anyway.
"Pay 5,200 Supplies." A little steep for medals, but I don't run goods buildings so what the heck.
And then the kicker.
"Solve this very complex negotiation." So I click on that. 4 turns to solve, 9 different goods to choose from, 9 of each good. What?!? For 50 medals?!?
Yeah, no. I'll pass. Thanks anyway, Inno. See ya tomorrow.

Johnny B. Goode

I just ignore those I find to be too costly. Do you buy every TV advert selling some stupid gizmo, then complain they were a bad deal? No you just ignore them. I suggest doing the same in the game. I just pass on the not very good deals. another one will come along soon.
Ummm...if you read my post to the end, that's exactly what I did. :rolleyes:

67Sage101

LOL. Today I got this one.....600 medals on one side....OR.......percent chance for more or less medals on the other side.

On the percent chance side it was a 5% chance for 3600 medals or risk it all for 20%@600. The ask was a complex negotiation AND donation of 130 goods to the guild treasury. LOL.

I think Id rather put FP on someone's ARC and get 7000 medals and 7 blueprints.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

As I complete the Daily Challenge daily, I've always viewed the tasks in the aggregate. Since it appears as advertised, no relation between the prize offered and the tasks given, I've never cared about the relationship between the two. Each day's completion is another day closer to the weekly Challenger's Chest, each prize valuable either for use or as high value AD fodder.

The only time I'll not complete a Daily is if there is an excessive amount of long productions. I only have 6 production buildings total. Sometimes the number of 4 hour or 8 hour productions is more than 6 can handle in a 24 hour period.

90% of the tasks can be completed through normal play, many can be controlled so you never see them. Other than the limitation on productions, no matter what they ask is not a big deal and likely something I'd do anyway. I view it as my city's daily health check.

Johnny B. Goode

Each day's completion is another day closer to the weekly Challenger's Chest,
The only time I'll not complete a Daily is if...
I used to think that way. Then I realized that I was playing the game for me and no one else. I play for relaxation and enjoyment. No need to chase virtual accomplishments or standards or whatever the competitive players are chasing. In many of my cities, I already have more of the weekly Challenger's Chest prizes than I'll ever use, so that's no incentive. So if the Daily Challenge prize is not worth anything to me or the Challenge requirements take too much time or energy to fulfill, I am perfectly happy to wait for another day. In fact, most days I don't even open the Daily Challenge in all of my cities to see if it's worth doing. And when I started not worrying about "doing it all", it is amazing how freeing that is. Now I have 27 cities, and I play them all as casually or as actively as I feel each day. Some weeks I even surprise myself and go to a city only to find that I haven't been there in a couple of days. And I chuckle at how that would have bothered me at one time. But after 6 years of playing, I realize that the only thing I'll ever take away from this game is the relaxation it gives me. So that's the only thing I chase.

RazorbackPirate

I also play for me, and I'd hardly consider myself anything close to what you describe. I have one city and a previously abandoned city I've turned into a diamond farm. When it's just two cities and 90% of the tasks will be completed with my normal routine, It's hardly anything like you describe to complete the extra tasks that might come up..

Zatrikon

Here's one I got today:

Pay 1.2 million supplies,
Spend 45 FP,
Activate 2 Tavern Boosts,
12 4-hour productions,
2 Guild Expedition encounters by fighting,

for a reward of 700 thousand coins.

RazorbackPirate

Could it be, possibly, that part of the strategy of FoE is determining whether or not a challenge is worth it? A bit like buildings. A city has a finite amount of space in which to erect buildings and decorations, the player has to choose which to use. Its all about making choices. Not about doing everything.
Anything not placed goes to the AD for something more valuable. There is no correlation between the tasks given, and the prize. No point in picking and choosing when the goal is to open the weekly chest.

But you do you.

DevaCat

Anything not placed goes to the AD for something more valuable. There is no correlation between the tasks given, and the prize. No point in picking and choosing when the goal is to open the weekly chest.

But you do you.
Correlation: task requiring 5 cmap sectors for pitiful reward means taking a pass that day for me, even with end goal is to open that weekly chest. To do otherwise might have mattered once back when there was a time limit to get it done.

RazorbackPirate

Correlation: task requiring 5 cmap sectors for pitiful reward means taking a pass that day for me, even with end goal is to open that weekly chest. To do otherwise might have mattered once back when there was a time limit to get it done.
Getting C-Map tasks is one thing that is 100% in your control. So to your point, that never happens to me. I don't get C-Map tasks in the Daily Challenge.

Nor do I get Buy Tavern Boosts, or Spend Tavern Silver. Two other tasks entirely under player control.

DevaCat

Getting C-Map tasks is one thing that is 100% in your control. So to your point, that never happens to me. I don't get C-Map tasks in the Daily Challenge.

Nor do I get Buy Tavern Boosts, or Spend Tavern Silver. Two other tasks entirely under player control.
I think you rather miss my point, which was that I have no issue with skipping a daily challenge having what I consider to be inadequate reward for the tasks required. This was in response to your statement that there is “No point in picking and choosing when the goal is to open the weekly chest,” and in response to the notion that there is no correlation between the tasks given and the prize.

The “weekly chest” is a construct dating back to the time when one actually had to complete all the dailies within the week or lose all progress toward opening that chest, and under that system your statement regarding not picking and choosing made sense. However, since there is at present no such time pressure there is no pressing need to complete each daily challenge without consideration of the costs and benefits involved - unless one feels compelled to complete each daily regardless. Now, you have your own goals so you’re quite welcome to “you do you.”

As for your response above regarding a player being able to control to an extent what tasks do or do not get presented, while interesting (and well known) it has nothing to do with my point.

But you do you.

I don't see the conflict. I agree with you. The prizes from the Daily Challenge in no way correspond to the demands, the two are totally random. When the rewards out weigh the demands, I skip the challenge. Similarly, acquired items of no interest to me I trade at the antique dealer for something of interest. Choices. I think we're on the same page?

Status
Not open for further replies.