• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Delete Observatory after getting Arc?

• Thread starter DeletedUser31771
  • Start date

DeletedUser31771

I've only been playing for about 18 months and not too seriously/strategically for the first year of that time, so I have a kind of newbie question. Would it be bad to delete my Obs after building Arc?

My only concern would be if I ever changed guilds and the new guild participated in GvG. Otherwise, the Arc's goods to treasury output would soon overshadow the Obs and I could us the 3x3 space for something else.

DeletedUser31771

Yeah, I am leaning towards keeping it -- just through this out there for feedback. Besides, prints have to come through an event or reward spots, and our guild has an Obs thread to help print hunters.

DeletedUser31308

Because I started in Y world knowing I was going to raise my Arc to lvl 80 as soon as possible, I never made an effort to get an Obs. Now, 102 days since that server started, I have a level 16 Arc and do not miss the Obs I've never built and never intend to build. There are some guilds that require both, but I doubt they would truly turn away someone who's Arc produces over 150 guild goods each day. When I get to level 80, and am producing 800 guild goods a day, there is no way any guild would turn me down for not having Obs.

For GvG guilds, the support pool does make a difference. However, as the level of the guild increases or the # of people in the guild with Obs increases, the difference one Obs makes becomes more negligible. From my experience, though, goods are more likely to hold back a GvG guild than support pool. Because of that, having a high level Arc should more than replace the need for an Obs.

Conclusion: If you want to be a really nice team player, keep both. If you need the room and don't really care that much about the support pool, drop the sucker.

DeletedUser26532

While goods do hold things back far more than support pool, any goods boost (fro the obs) is very valuable, and the support pool is completely unmatched.

For the support pool alone its worth it on such a small space.

DeletedUser31308

Which is the best argument for keeping both.
When your obs is the difference between 810 goods/day and 850 goods/day (at level 10), it is hardly making a difference (5%, to be exact). And that's after you invest 3180 FPs into the obs (minus whatever swap rewards). Hardly worth the investment, unless you really care about the support pool.

DeletedUser25166

When your obs is the difference between 810 goods/day and 850 goods/day (at level 10), it is hardly making a difference (5%, to be exact). And that's after you invest 3180 FPs into the obs (minus whatever swap rewards). Hardly worth the investment, unless you really care about the support pool.
Except with 55 members having an Obs, you just turned that into 249 Goods extra a day. And 550% support pool.
If everyone in your Guild had such a me first negative attitude like you, then your pathetic Guild would be getting stomped on GvG and languishing on Page 5.

DeletedUser31308

Except with 55 members having an Obs, you just turned that into 249 Goods extra a day. And 550% support pool.
If everyone in your Guild had such a me first negative attitude like you, then your pathetic Guild would be getting stomped on GvG and languishing on Page 5.
Except whether or not this person has an Obs is the difference between 55 Obs and 54 Obs, not the difference between 0 Obs and 55 Obs. Of course it would be a problem if everyone thought the same way I do. But they don't, and the question at hand is whether this one person wants to be selfish like me or not. It's not an arbitrary question or one with a single obvious answer, as most here are making it out to be. I'm just exposing the OP to the different ways to think about this question, which is important since they did ask if it is objectively bad to delete an Obs.

If I had a member with that attitude towards support pool, they'd be out the door. 3x3 investment to support GvG defence is too much for you? Then don't join a fighting guild, there are LOTS that just farm and never touch the GvG map.

I doubt I'd be out the door with 800 guild goods/day being provided. I'm sure you'd rather have those goods in your treasury than, say, your top competition or closest neighbor.

DeletedUser31308

The people above fail to realize that as the guild level increases and the number of people in your guild with Obs increases, the less useful your Obs becomes in comparison. The less difference it makes. Whether you want that 3x3 to make that small difference, or whether you'd rather use it for personal progression, is a choice you will have to make. I'm selfish, and make no effort to hide this, so I won't be building an Obs.

DeletedUser26532

... the question at hand is whether this one person wants to be selfish like me or not. ...

I doubt I'd be out the door with 800 guild goods/day being provided. I'm sure you'd rather have those goods in your treasury than, say, your top competition or closest neighbor.

I can't speak for every guild leader, but I only want players who contribute both empirically and to the culture of the guild. One who is as selfish as you proudly proclaim, even with 1000 goods per day from their (again predominantly self-serving) Arc or more would not be welcome. Period. End of story.

You're in it for yourself. That's a perfectly valid strategy for boosting your player points. But its not one that I welcome as part of the TEAM I'm building. And given how many GvG guilds require Obs, I don't thnik I'm alone in that.

DeletedUser31308

I can't speak for every guild leader, but I only want players who contribute both empirically and to the culture of the guild. One who is as selfish as you proudly proclaim, even with 1000 goods per day from their (again predominantly self-serving) Arc or more would not be welcome. Period. End of story.

You're in it for yourself. That's a perfectly valid strategy for boosting your player points. But its not one that I welcome as part of the TEAM I'm building. And given how many GvG guilds require Obs, I don't thnik I'm alone in that.

I'm actually a good team player, and have had a positive effect on every guild I've been in. I step up into leadership positions and always complete 64/64 as well as encouraging others to do so. I'm one of the most active on the GvG map, troops permitting. None of this was hurt by the fact I choose not to build an Obs.

So, to be more clear: I build my city as selfishly as possible. Never a Hall of Fame or anything like that. However, I am not selfish in terms of giving good advice to guild members, I even shout out every sniping-for-profit opportunity I see that I cannot take. I work as a team player, but build as a solo player. After all, the only thing that will improve my city is investment into the city itself. And the best way I can help any guild I join is by having a strong city in the first place.

DeletedUser

I doubt I'd be out the door with 800 guild goods/day being provided. I'm sure you'd rather have those goods in your treasury than, say, your top competition or closest neighbor
My guilds don't even do GvG, but with your attitude you would be out the door quicker than you could collect all those Arc goods.
Never a Hall of Fame or anything like that.
If you can make this statement as a guild member, then you are by definition not a good team player.

DeletedUser31308

My guilds don't even do GvG, but with your attitude you would be out the door quicker than you could collect all those Arc goods.

If you can make this statement as a guild member, then you are by definition not a good team player.

I'm not willing to hurt myself to help others. If I can help others in a way that's neutral or positive to myself, I do it (giving advice, helping people get FP profit opportunities, leading GvG battles or giving map updates). Where do you draw the line? If someone is willing to put 1 HoF in their OF city, but not 2, are they a team player? How much do they have to be willing to hurt themselves to be considered a team player?

DeletedUser

I'm not willing to hurt myself to help others. If I can help others in a way that's neutral or positive to myself, I do it (giving advice, helping people get FP profit opportunities, leading GvG battles or giving map updates). Where do you draw the line? If someone is willing to put 1 HoF in their OF city, but not 2, are they a team player? How much do they have to be willing to hurt themselves to be considered a team player?
It's not about hurting yourself, and it's not about numbers, it's about attitude. And the fact that you look at it from that perspective is proof positive of your non-guild attitude. Even if I somehow tolerated a player like you in one of my guilds (which I wouldn't), any kind of leadership or responsibility within the guild would be out of the question. To be a good leader, you have to put the group first much of the time. Unless you were in a guild where everyone had your attitude, but then I wouldn't consider that a guild at all.