• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Delete Observatory after getting Arc?

• Thread starter DeletedUser31771
  • Start date

DeletedUser29726

first of all and last of all you are not a leader and you will never will be with that atitute... Good leader is someone who cares about the people that are below him (guild members) and will do anything to help them even hurt his/her own progress to make it so... all of the leaders know this and i don't think i need to elaborate on it.... check out the definition of leader in dictionary please before you call that yourself!
you are "me" player and lets be frank about it.... you wont build obs that helps the guild, you wont build hof, but you give advice... well hello, we all do it!!! but do you give your goods for a lesser player in your guild without fp compasations? I wouldnt think so because you are "me" player, but guess what, most of us do that, and it might hurt us in the short term but if you look at the long therm (as a real leader should) then you just gain a lot more then what you think you lost.... For players to fallow a leader that leader must be about the guild, and you are only about yourself... sorry, but you are not a leader!

In an ideal world where you can fill your guild with 80 selfless and yet good players you'd of course want to do so. But I've only met a couple of those total in years of play - nevermind managing to recruit them to you. Plenty of selfless underachievers though - highly questionable whether a selfish player that occasionally does good things for the guild or a selfless player that doesn't seem to be progressing themself to a position where they could do things the guild actually needs is of more use.

So now you come to the question, given that you can't have 80 ideal guildmates just what do you want in a guild - and there can be multiple right answers. Personally I like to be with a group of people that for the most part can take care of themself. I'm ok if they're a little selfish as long as they're also fair - my first thoughts go there too although I often wind up bending over backwards keeping people happy after that thought. I'm not ok if they're needy. After the 'takes care of themself' requirement, the next question that comes up: 'is this player of more value to the guild than an empty slot?' - you still don't need an observatory or hall of fames or any of that nonsense to pass this criteria. And it would take an awful lot of (high age) hall of fames to make up for most of the reasons I'd prefer an empty slot (drama, ignoring rules and not communicating, not covering GE expenses in an age where the guild is tight on goods).

Personally I do still run observatory on my worlds where I have arcs (except my iron age camp world where i never had an observatory to begin with) - they aren't taking up that much space and it's hard to bulldoze a building you once put effort into levelling. Objectively I should bulldoze the one on my VF world probably because 103 support pool is less than 10% boost on one sector in the upper ages - hardly of consequence - but i won't.

One final selfish reason why you might keep an observatory: points. The goods donated to treasury count as goods spent. If you're a non-combat point !@#$ the treasury GBs provide a nice source of daily points - a level 60 observatory produces 540 goods a day - in VF that's 17820 points, or about half a million a month. After you're done with the important buildings it'd be worth considering running one if your objective is strictly rankings.

DeletedUser36281

In an ideal world where you can fill your guild with 80 selfless and yet good players you'd of course want to do so. But I've only met a couple of those total in years of play - nevermind managing to recruit them to you. Plenty of selfless underachievers though - highly questionable whether a selfish player that occasionally does good things for the guild or a selfless player that doesn't seem to be progressing themself to a position where they could do things the guild actually needs is of more use.

So now you come to the question, given that you can't have 80 ideal guildmates just what do you want in a guild - and there can be multiple right answers. Personally I like to be with a group of people that for the most part can take care of themself. I'm ok if they're a little selfish as long as they're also fair - my first thoughts go there too although I often wind up bending over backwards keeping people happy after that thought. I'm not ok if they're needy. After the 'takes care of themself' requirement, the next question that comes up: 'is this player of more value to the guild than an empty slot?' - you still don't need an observatory or hall of fames or any of that nonsense to pass this criteria. And it would take an awful lot of (high age) hall of fames to make up for most of the reasons I'd prefer an empty slot (drama, ignoring rules and not communicating, not covering GE expenses in an age where the guild is tight on goods).

Personally I do still run observatory on my worlds where I have arcs (except my iron age camp world where i never had an observatory to begin with) - they aren't taking up that much space and it's hard to bulldoze a building you once put effort into levelling. Objectively I should bulldoze the one on my VF world probably because 103 support pool is less than 10% boost on one sector in the upper ages - hardly of consequence - but i won't.

One final selfish reason why you might keep an observatory: points. The goods donated to treasury count as goods spent. If you're a non-combat point !@#$ the treasury GBs provide a nice source of daily points - a level 60 observatory produces 540 goods a day - in VF that's 17820 points, or about half a million a month. After you're done with the important buildings it'd be worth considering running one if your objective is strictly rankings.
what i wanted to say is that a good leader is not selfish, good leader do everything he/she can to help the guild rise and to help the players.... and all players benefit if guild rises.... so if you have a guild where most of the players are "me" players i don't think that kind of guild will rise far in the game but since im not a leader just a council member or diplomat (depends on a guild) i may be wrong but so far all the leaders of my guilds are dedicated to helping rise the guild and helping the players... but here we have a player that is "me" player and calling himself a leader.... Only way to become a truly leader is if the people trust you and know they can depend on you if they are in the crisis.... only them will people truly accept you as a leader .... you have to be able and secure to trust the leader otherwise.... you just change guilds in search of that kind of leader. So from my point of view a "me" player cant ever be a true leader (he can lead a guild but it wont be a good guild or maybe if he has all the members that are "me" players)... but like i said... i may be wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29726

what i wanted to say is that a good leader is not selfish, good leader do everything he/she can to help the guild rise and to help the players.... and all players benefit if guild rises.... so if you have a guild where most of the players are "me" players i don't think that kind of guild will rise far in the game but since im not a leader just a council member or diplomat (depends on a guild) i may be wrong but so far all the leaders of my guilds are dedicated to helping rise the guild and helping the players... but here we have a player that is "me" player and calling himself a leader.... Only way to become a truly leader is if the people trust you and know they can depend on you if they are in the crisis.... only them will people truly accept you as a leader .... you have to be able and secure to trust the leader otherwise.... you just change guilds in search of that kind of leader. So from my point of view a "me" player cant ever be a true leader (he can lead a guild but it wont be a good guild or maybe if he has all the members that are "me" players)... but like i said... i may be wrong :)

At some point the thing you can do to best help the guild is to help yourself. If you don't pay attention to your own development you'll lose the ability to provide the help needed and the players who are most capable of helping the guild drift elsewhere where there are people far enough ahead to assist them. Meanwhile the underachievers will still be with you and accustomed to your help while not being terribly useful themself.

It should also be noted that having a guild be 'ahead' is of no great benefit to individuals anymore. This opens the door for many guilds that are not in it to level the guild, or gvg, or even GE. The important thing is to be clear about the purpose of a guild and the expectations of the members. This allows everyone to find groups where they fit in and can accomplish what they want to accomplish. Small guilds, big guilds, GvG guilds, GE guilds, GB guilds, trade guilds, idle guilds, social guilds - there's room for them all, and they'll all like different kinds of players :)

DeletedUser31308

first of all and last of all you are not a leader and you will never will be with that atitute... Good leader is someone who cares about the people that are below him (guild members) and will do anything to help them even hurt his/her own progress to make it so... all of the leaders know this and i don't think i need to elaborate on it.... check out the definition of leader in dictionary please before you call that yourself!
you are "me" player and lets be frank about it.... you wont build obs that helps the guild, you wont build hof, basically you won't build anything that helps the guild as a whole but you give advice... yeah a realy big deal!!! well hello, we all do it!!! but do you give your goods for a lesser player in your guild without fp compasations? I wouldnt think so because you are "me" player, but guess what, most of us do that, and it might hurt us in the short term but if you look at the long therm (as a real leader should) then you just gain a lot more then what you think you lost.... For players to fallow a leader that leader must be about the guild, and you are only about yourself... sorry, but you are not a leader!

Actually, my current advancement strategy is centered around making sure to stock up on all goods PE+, enough to be able to provide Traz/CF/Inno/Arc/AO/Kraken/CC goods for free to loyal, active members of my future rogue guild. See, by setting up my city to maximize production, I can create an extreme surplus, which I can then siphon to those that could benefit from it much more than I.

DeletedUser26120

I've been considering taking my observatory past 10. The gains are decent compared to what you get at level 4 onwards. Certainly a much cheaper way to add +2/day to the treasury than a high level arc (80+).

I will be one of the only TE players in my guild so it'll be useful to be making more.

So I would say keep it. It can continue to benefit you even late game.

DeletedUser32973

Actually, my current advancement strategy is centered around making sure to stock up on all goods PE+, enough to be able to provide Traz/CF/Inno/Arc/AO/Kraken/CC goods for free to loyal, active members of my future rogue guild. See, by setting up my city to maximize production, I can create an extreme surplus, which I can then siphon to those that could benefit from it much more than I.

There isn't really a point into responding to those posts ThruThehead. Your words are wasted on what is essentially mindless bashing. Any perspective other than theirs might as well be trash, no matter how sound what you're saying might be. The world isn't black and white folks, I shouldn't need to tell you that.

- KQ -

My two cents worth is that if you're not in a GvG guild and you've got an Arc, you're wasting space with an Observatory. I blew up a level 16 Observatory and put in another Hall of Fame. Different things help different situations. There is no single right answer.

DeletedUser26120

On the other hand, if you're in the first year on a world and you're in an era where your guild seriously lacks - I mean lacks in the way of having 7 times less than the era before, or the era after - then I think you're getting good mileage out of pushing obs up.

Someone asked me about building atom and I pointed out obs gets +2 after level 10 just like atom would and far less waste of space+fps. Takes less fps to get obs from 10 to 11 than it does getting atom from 8 to 9.

Of course as KungQu has pointed out - at some stage in the game, the obs won't be as useful to you, especially if you go past future. It depends what you want and what you're doing.

I want prestige, and more tiles in this low-treasury-goods era so gonna take mine up.

Keep your Observatory. The benefits (covered in previous posts) far outweigh any negative impact caused by such a small footprint. Also, as a guild leader, one of the first things I do is look to see if a new or potential guild member has an Observatory. It is an indicator of the personality/character of the player...a willingness to selflessly help. I would actually rather see an Observatory than an Arc. Don't get me wrong...Arc donations are great for the guild treasury. But there is just something innately selfish about The Arc....