• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Deleting Friends - What Happens?

vimesfan

I keep seeing references to an impact on my tavern or ability to visit taverns if I delete too many friends. I have multiple cities and large friend lists. With the advent of the tavern, I'm starting to see that some of these friends are obviously not active in the game since they sent me a friend request. Their score is unchanged, and the same 3 people are sitting in the same 3 chairs in the basic tavern. I want to get rid of the "deadwood", but I don't want to invoke some penalty onto myself at the same time.

What exactly is the restriction here? And what is the penalty if I exceed the restriction? I have not been able to find a spelled out explanation of what it is, just references to it here and there.

Thanks.

DeletedUser8152

If you have deleted 20+ friends, then when you add a new friend you have to wait 24 hours before you can visit their tavern. That's all.

Algona

Is there a restriction that you can't invite new friends if you have more than 80 on your Friend's list?

DeletedUser14197

If you have deleted 20+ friends, then when you add a new friend you have to wait 24 hours before you can visit their tavern. That's all.

It sounds simple enough, but for some reason I am still not clear. Yesterday I deleted friends who didn't appear to be playing anymore and forgot to keep count and must have deleted at least 20. Of course I realized this when I added a couple people and had a 24 hour wait time. No problem. However, just now I added someone and still have a 24 hour wait time. Seems to me it should be maybe 12 hours left. So here is the question. Will I have a 24 hour wait time till 24 hours is completed? Or will I have a 24 hour wait time forever? It wouldn't make sense that once 24 hours is over, that if I add friends I would be able to visit them immediately since I would still have to wait more hours to visit the one I just added.

Also, is the deleting friend cumulative? Like if I delete 10 today and wait to delete 10 more next week, would I than have to wait 24 hours forever to visit new friends?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8152

The deleting count is cumulative, and even counts friends deleted before the tavern began.

Once you have deleted 20+ friends, then from that time on, every time you add a new friend you'll have to wait 24 hours to visit their tavern. The clock starts at the time you add them.

vimesfan

Is this per world, per server, per player? And does it ever reset? I understand the purpose of it overall, and since I have probably deleted less than 10 friends total in all my worlds combined, I don't have this penalty. But why impose it if I remove an friend now and then who is inactive and hit the 20 removal mark over a period of months? Thanks.

DeletedUser8152

Is this per world, per server, per player? And does it ever reset? I understand the purpose of it overall, and since I have probably deleted less than 10 friends total in all my worlds combined, I don't have this penalty. But why impose it if I remove an friend now and then who is inactive and hit the 20 removal mark over a period of months? Thanks.
Per world. It does not reset; the purpose is to help out new players by letting them play with the tavern right away.

DeletedUser14197

Per world. It does not reset; the purpose is to help out new players by letting them play with the tavern right away.

I thought the purpose was to keep people from adding friends, sitting in their taverns, deleting friends and adding more friends, etc.... and filling the chat with asking for friends. It doesn't make sense at all, what Inno has done. Like the rails, they appear not to be able to solve a problem with a simple effective solution.

DeletedUser8152

I thought the purpose was to keep people from adding friends, sitting in their taverns, deleting friends and adding more friends, etc.... and filling the chat with asking for friends.
That is the purpose of the 24 hour delay, which applies to most people.

New players are given an exception so they can enjoy the tavern right away. The way that exception is implemented was by using number of deleted friends as a measure of how long you've been playing the game.

DeletedUser14197

That is the purpose of the 24 hour delay, which applies to most people.

New players are given an exception so they can enjoy the tavern right away. The way that exception is implemented was by using number of deleted friends as a measure of how long you've been playing the game.

This totally does not make any sense to me at all. So some people, when the tavern first came out, must have had to wait 24 hours before sitting at their table if it is cumulative from the beginning of time. So, we want to make it harder for people who have been playing a long time, but easier for newbies, but only harder on older players if they decide to clear out non players from their friends list. If there is any logic here at all, it is over my head.

DeletedUser8152

TSo some people, when the tavern first came out, must have had to wait 24 hours before sitting at their table if it is cumulative from the beginning of time.
No, the 24 hour delay only happens when you add a new friend. So any friends you had when the tavern started were immediately available.

So, we want to make it harder for people who have been playing a long time
I would not say "harder." I would just say, how the tavern works is that you have to wait 24 hours before visiting a new friend. Is that a big hardship?

, but easier for newbies,
I guess maybe you can say that, but it makes sense to me that it would be confusing for new players to start with a tavern thing in their city that they can't use.
but only harder on older players if they decide to clear out non players from their friends list. If there is any logic here at all, it is over my head.
I think the assumption is that essentially all older players will have cleared out their friends list at some point. And if they haven't, then they must have a bunch of inactive friends on it, which doesn't seem like an advantage to me.

DeletedUser14197

I have a lot of inactive friends in probably all of my cities. I think people quit. It doesn't matter. I am just annoyed at this game right now. I probably ought to take a break. It seems like nothing they do makes any sense to me. This still doesn't, but you are right, I didn't have to wait a day with the friends I already had. I don't even know why I care if I have to wait a day. I still do not have any use for the tavern other than to click a thousand times to upgrade it and upgrade it and upgrade it some more. I haven't used one of the things you can buy with silver and not sure I have any reason to.

vimesfan

I think the assumption is that essentially all older players will have cleared out their friends list at some point. And if they haven't, then they must have a bunch of inactive friends on it, which doesn't seem like an advantage to me.

That is exactly where I am right now. Until the tavern came along, I just went down the list and hit the Aid button on everyone. I was still getting my 20 coin and my chance at a BP. It didn't affect me if they were inactive. In other words, if I had 50 friends, and only 40 were active, removing the 10 that were inactive did not change the number of people who might have aided me in return, but it reduced my chances at a BP and my 20 coin. I also like to give others the benefit of the doubt about inactivity, since this is, after all, just a game. Real life does impose its priorities, and sometimes someone is just away for a while. I hate to cut someone off from my friends list just because their priorities are focused on real people in their lives.

Now with the tavern, it is more obvious to me that some players are inactive long term. I can't visit the taverns because they are not clearing out the taverns. That is even more annoying outside of Beta, and I'm looking forward to the changes they have put in there to identify whose taverns I can visit right now. But another thing that is different is that the tavern is getting people more eager to expand their friends list. I get at least one friend request daily in each of my worlds now, and my list is growing steadily. It is nearly full in some worlds, and removing the inactive players from my list now makes a difference. Until I do remove them, I will not be able to receive any more friend requests soon. So it is only now that I'm wanting to clear out those absent friends.

One of the goodwill things I have always done is aid someone as soon as I accept a friend request. I can still aid right away, but as soon as I hit my 20 deletes, I won't be able to help them with a tavern visit at the same time.

That's just the perspective from where I sit. Eventually I will need to clean out some obviously inactive players, and I will hit and pass the 20 removals mark. And life will go on. But it is not the way I would have set it up had I been asked. I think a "you can remove this many a ___ [fill in time period]" limit would have been the way to go to account for situations like mine.

Thanks.

BADMOON69

How do you remove friends that have been inactive so long that they are not on your news feed so that you can remove them?

DeletedUser28711

How do you remove friends that have been inactive so long that they are not on your news feed so that you can remove them?

Via the web, click on their name & you'll see the option. In the apps, click on their picture.