• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Do you delete old military buildings?

DeletedUser34910

When you advance to a new age, do you delete the old military buildings and replace or do you just add? If you delete the old, how do you participate in the tournaments from previous ages?

Ta 152H

When you advance to a new age, do you delete the old military buildings and replace or do you just add? If you delete the old, how do you participate in the tournaments from previous ages?

Assuming you actually need barracks, which I almost never do, I'd always delete them. Well, except for Rogue Hideouts. Just do GE, and get all those unattached troops.

Certainly, if you do build barracks, you don't want to keep them too long unless you're doing GvG and need them. You have to measure the cost of having the barracks versus the relatively low reward for winning a tower once a week. Considering that tower is not even your current age, I would guess it's not worth the space. Also, if you do GE, you should have a good amount of unattached units if you really want to win a degenerate tower.

DeletedUser26965

You can delete them or not, up to you and how you play. Typically if you want to fight in ages below yours you'll want to have unattached units from that age in your stock.

oh yeah, and you can get Alcatraz too [wink wink]

Now in order to use units of lower ages to fight with you're of course going to want to only fight the units they can beat so PvP look for defenses that are appropriate or utilize GvG.

and here's a link for tower rewards
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Bronze_to_Colonial_Age

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10720

It's not a bad idea to hold into a few from the previous age. But don't get so attached to them you're not willing to cut them. Unless you're in GvG you don't have much need to build or keep more than your current and previous age troops. The farther you advance the less important previous tower competition is relevant.

DeletedUser34910

It's not a bad idea to hold into a few from the previous age. But don't get so attached to them you're not willing to cut them. Unless you're in GvG you don't have much need to build or keep more than your current and previous age troops. The farther you advance the less important previous tower competition is relevant.
I haven't done GvG yet but I'm interested. I've never played a game like this and am just starting out...I am very overwhelmed by all of the new information regarding military tactics and just don't really know what direction to go in.

DeletedUser34910

Assuming you actually need barracks, which I almost never do, I'd always delete them. Well, except for Rogue Hideouts. Just do GE, and get all those unattached troops.

Certainly, if you do build barracks, you don't want to keep them too long unless you're doing GvG and need them. You have to measure the cost of having the barracks versus the relatively low reward for winning a tower once a week. Considering that tower is not even your current age, I would guess it's not worth the space. Also, if you do GE, you should have a good amount of unattached units if you really want to win a degenerate tower.
Yeah that's a good point about the tower being in a different age...hmm..

DeletedUser26965

I haven't done GvG yet but I'm interested. I've never played a game like this and am just starting out...I am very overwhelmed by all of the new information regarding military tactics and just don't really know what direction to go in.
Just take your time, it'll all come to you, read the wiki, forum, keep asking questions and ignore silliness, get in a good GvG guild that's willing to train.

DeletedUser34910

Just take your time, it'll all come to you, read the wiki, forum, keep asking questions and ignore silliness, get in a good GvG guild that's willing to train.
I guess I need to stop thinking in terms in what's right or wrong...I'm a bit of a perfectionist and have low tolerance for not being good at things personally, so it's difficult! Thanks for the advice and encouragement :)

DeletedUser26965

I guess I need to stop thinking in terms in what's right or wrong...I'm a bit of a perfectionist and have low tolerance for not being good at things personally, so it's difficult! Thanks for the advice and encouragement :)
np and yeah, there's flexibility to play style here, not necessarily a right/wrong way. You can choose to GvG or not, PvP or not, GE or not, whatever suits ya, just remember many guilds, especially higher ones, typically have requirements so you'll want to familiarize yourself with them by looking at their guild description before joining, or you can just play solo for a while too, and also you can start a new city on any of the worlds to try out different things.

DeletedUser33297

I dont have any barracks what so ever. I fight in the GE with the unattached units I win in GE. I am still camped im ema, so doing 64 encountes each week builds up my supply of units. I have only fought the first 16 encounters so far, but have completed 64 encounters since I started. The rogues make all the difference, IMO
Best advice ever given to me with regards to this game, do whats best for YOUR style of gameplay. ;)

DeletedUser30312

Yes, you should get rid of old military buildings. The older units will be outclassed by current ones, and military barracks are big population sinks as well, so you don't want ones you don't need.

The key to fighting on multiple towers is to acquire lots of unattached units. You can get a decent number of them from the GE. If you're going to do any amount of GvG or PvP, then the Traz will provide large numbers of them. In addition you want to have the attack boosting GBs so you can do much more damage while taking less yourself. It's also important to build up a decent supply of rogues as well for heavy combat. Once you build the Traz, you can build older military buildings to build up a supply of units for your needs, then delete the buildings when you;re done with them.

Very active GvG players should be able to score on all towers available to them except for BA. If you want the BA tower, you'll need to use BA units in PvP. It helps to know who isn't defending in your neighborhood for this too. Without a Traz, you can just build a crappy Spearfighter barracks, recruit one and use him with 7 Rogues to score on the tower, and demolish the building when you're done. It takes less than a minute to make 1 Spearfighter. Then demolish the building. Once you get the Traz, make a bunch of Slingers and maybe Stone Throwers to hit the people without defense.

DeletedUser34910

Yes, you should get rid of old military buildings. The older units will be outclassed by current ones, and military barracks are big population sinks as well, so you don't want ones you don't need.

The key to fighting on multiple towers is to acquire lots of unattached units. You can get a decent number of them from the GE. If you're going to do any amount of GvG or PvP, then the Traz will provide large numbers of them. In addition you want to have the attack boosting GBs so you can do much more damage while taking less yourself. It's also important to build up a decent supply of rogues as well for heavy combat. Once you build the Traz, you can build older military buildings to build up a supply of units for your needs, then delete the buildings when you;re done with them.

Very active GvG players should be able to score on all towers available to them except for BA. If you want the BA tower, you'll need to use BA units in PvP. It helps to know who isn't defending in your neighborhood for this too. Without a Traz, you can just build a crappy Spearfighter barracks, recruit one and use him with 7 Rogues to score on the tower, and demolish the building when you're done. It takes less than a minute to make 1 Spearfighter. Then demolish the building. Once you get the Traz, make a bunch of Slingers and maybe Stone Throwers to hit the people without defense.

Wow thanks that's some great info!

I will work on gaining the unattached units through GE and focus on the attack GBs. Right now I have Zeus and am working with my guild to level it up. (I have Oracle at level 2 and ToB in sticks but I'm not focusing on leveling those too much yet). I've been donating to someone's Deal Castle for military and LoA for goods/supplies to hopefully score those BPs...and I'll try for Traz too...hopefully I'm on the right track? I just moved into IA yesterday and haven't researched "military tactics" so I can't do PvP yet.

This might be a dumb question but are rogues the same thing as unattached?

DeletedUser32348

IMO, if u're jumping to a new age and wanna start fighting in the new age PvP towers and also wanna win lower age PvP towers.
U shud get a TRAZ first before u sell that old military buildings and level it to above 5
so that u can spawn 5+ old age military units per day

2dgw740.jpg

for more info

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Alcatraz#Lvl 8

and then use them with Rogues in fighting lower age PvP towers.
latest
latest

Woody*

Space is one of the most valuable resources in the game. Therefore, you may be tempted to try to win medals from the Tower Tournaments so you can purchase expansions. In the early stages of the game - when medal expansions are cheap - the rewards are worth it. But as the price goes up, the tournaments become progressively less valuable, and therefore a waste of time and space (if you're keeping older age barracks for that purpose).

IMO, a lot of players waste time on Tower tournaments (unless they're having fun while doing it). And they waste precious space by placing SoAs & VTs when the rewards don't justify the space. An even more in-efficient source of medals are GBs (Colosseum, Gaea Statue)

If you want to win medals, by far the most efficient way is to hunt for GB prizes that give FP profit and/or break-even FP locks in your hood, guild and friends list. The higher level and the higher Aged GBs provide the best rewards. And you probably will be surprised how many of your neighbors self-level their GBs, which sets them up to be locked at break-even or profit.

DeletedUser30312

This might be a dumb question but are rogues the same thing as unattached?

No. Unattached units are units that are not produced by barracks, but rather gained as quest rewards, prizes, or through the Traz. Unattached units cannot be replaced when killed unless you use diamonds to revive them, but you can have an unlimited number of them, unlike the units that are attached to a building.

Use unattached units to make up your defense first. You don't lose defending units, so start with that. Once you've got at least 4-6 unattached units of the normal types, you can start using the extras to fight. Where special units are concerned, you only need to keep 1 current age Champion, Military Drummer and Color Guard on defense reserve, since you only really need one of each of those at a time. Even then, the Drummer and Color Guard are useless for defense past HMA or LMA. You don't need to worry about keeping unattached Rogues in reserve since they're not good defense units at all.

PvP towers aren't really a good source of medals, but they make a nice supplement. I do the towers for the prestige more than than the actual rewards. SoA and VT aren't too bad, but I see them as placeholders for the SoK and Watchfires. VTs at any rate are pretty easy to get and replace these days anyway. GBs really suck for medals, but a farmer might get some limited use from the Blue Galaxy. GB sniping does require a player to build a decent FP gain though, you're not going to get far sniping on 1 FP/hour.

If lower age towers aren't being contested in your hood, then you just need to send in some ranged and/or artillery of the matching age against someone with Spearfighters. In some cases, you only need to do it once a week and you're done. The Drummer and Color Guard is useful here to pump up your attack, though hardly necessary.

DeletedUser34910

I dont have any barracks what so ever. I fight in the GE with the unattached units I win in GE. I am still camped im ema, so doing 64 encountes each week builds up my supply of units. I have only fought the first 16 encounters so far, but have completed 64 encounters since I started. The rogues make all the difference, IMO
Best advice ever given to me with regards to this game, do whats best for YOUR style of gameplay. ;)

So right now I'm in IA and just started my first week of GE. I have 3 Soldier barracks (11 soldiers). I've fought 6 encounters and earned a rogue and an unattached spearfighter.

So basically you use rogues to duplicate your units, preferably unattached units. I don't have a rogue hideout yet and I know it will be some time before I have a Traz. I think earning the unattached units will take a while as the Soldiers take so long to train after they die..should i be using BA instead since the defending armies are BA? Or am I going about this wrong?

Woody*

..should i be using BA instead since the defending armies are BA? Or am I going about this wrong?
One thing to try is to use 8 x spearfighters to get as far as you can in GE at the beginning of the week. They only take 20 seconds to rebuild and are really cheap. I like to have 4-5 barracks for them and get through GE1 and a few more fights in GE2 with them. Then when I can go no further (around Thursday for me), I tear down the spearfighter barracks (if I need the room) and put up Soldiers, Archers and/or Warriors.

DeletedUser34910

One thing to try is to use 8 x spearfighters to get as far as you can in GE at the beginning of the week. They only take 20 seconds to rebuild and are really cheap. I like to have 4-5 barracks for them and get through GE1 and a few more fights in GE2 with them. Then when I can go no further (around Thursday for me), I tear down the spearfighter barracks (if I need the room) and put up Soldiers, Archers and/or Warriors.

Thank you! I definitely felt like I was making it harder on myself with the IA units o_O Maybe I should follow my instincts next time!

Ta 152H

Why would you ever need more than two barracks of Spearfighters? They build/repair so quickly, you'll have 8 so fast even with two, I don't think it's worth using extra space for the very minor amount of time you'll save. 9 spots in a small city x two or three is a lot to give up for removing a very minor inconvenience.