• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does City Defense Really Matter Anymore?

OutlawDon

I think I am on firm ground when I say that the most valuable commodity this game has is space. Yes, even moreso than Diamonds.

Everyone, sooner or later, has to make a decision as to what constitutes the best use of what limited space they have based on how they approach the game. In a very real sense, Inno is telling us how they want their game played by rendering what I would think was a major facet of their game- active city defense- to be, in most cases, utterly and completely worthless, as a defense of 500%- or more- is little more effective than 2 Spearfighters. Aside from aesthetics (I happen to thing both Deal and SBC are among the game's best-looking GBs), there's really no reason to build defensive GBs. You're better off devoting that space to practically anything else.
I admit to building SBC because I like the way it looks. Also I hide my Wishing Wells & Fishing Huts with trees because I dislike that saturated blue color. The thing about Deal is that it does things for your Guild, does it not?

Emberguard

The thing about Deal is that it does things for your Guild, does it not?
Only if your guild doesn’t have a bunch of Observatory GBs or more Guild Support then can already be used. You can have any amount of guild support sure, but there’s a cap on how much actually does anything because there’s a max boost % to the defences in GvG

While I accept attacks and plundering as part of the game, when the forums have active threads gloating about plundering and GB sniping which many people view with disdain and actually ruins the game for others to the point where INNO has to stop pvp for newbies, I cant help but feel the culture is on the vile side. It actually is comparable to gloating about what people have stolen from stores.
IT’S A GAME! Please stop comparing elements of a game and how players choose to play it within the parameters established by the game developers to the tragedies occurring in real life. When you begin making the argument that what players do in a game environment is mirrored by what people do in real life you are tragically underestimating the rationale with which people make decisions daily. Simply because, in your opinion, “many people view with disdain” plundering does not mean the game is ruined. If people who decide to play a game find an element of the game that they do not like and then choose to stop playing because of it, then so be it. INNO will only “need” to do something about it when they decide, as the developer of the game, that they want to do something about it...not before.

Iroh the Tea Maker

While I accept attacks and plundering as part of the game, when the forums have active threads gloating about plundering and GB sniping which many people view with disdain and actually ruins the game for others to the point where INNO has to stop pvp for newbies, I cant help but feel the culture is on the vile side. It actually is comparable to gloating about what people have stolen from stores.

I tend to mildly agree with this. Eg. I stopped aiding neighbours after the person I aided attacked me the same day and I couldn't attack back. Neighbours went from "potential friends" to "potential attackers/plunderers". But if this is necessary for the PvP mechanics to work, that's fine. I am just saying it can push our attitudes towards a negative side. But a total lack of plundering would let people get in to high ages with no real army whatsoever.

To stay on topic, most of the times I get attacked they either surrender or lose. Even if the attacker wins, they lose 4-7 units, so in my hoods (HMA or lower) I havent gotten attacked twice by the same person. So I think defense helps a lot in an aggressive hood.

But on the other hand I have only lost a total of 5FPs, 12 goods, and ~2k coins to plunderers in a span of 5 months of playing this game. So I am not sure if all that ritual flames and towers, the 3x3 monastery, etc. are stealing space from buildings that could potentially produce more that what I would have lost without a 110% defense bonus for defenders.

generalwoo

I tend to mildly agree with this. Eg. I stopped aiding neighbours after the person I aided attacked me the same day and I couldn't attack back. Neighbours went from "potential friends" to "potential attackers/plunderers". But if this is necessary for the PvP mechanics to work, that's fine. I am just saying it can push our attitudes towards a negative side. But a total lack of plundering would let people get in to high ages with no real army whatsoever.

To stay on topic, most of the times I get attacked they either surrender or lose. Even if the attacker wins, they lose 4-7 units, so in my hoods (HMA or lower) I havent gotten attacked twice by the same person. So I think defense helps a lot in an aggressive hood.

But on the other hand I have only lost a total of 5FPs, 12 goods, and ~2k coins to plunderers in a span of 5 months of playing this game. So I am not sure if all that ritual flames and towers, the 3x3 monastery, etc. are stealing space from buildings that could potentially produce more that what I would have lost without a 110% defense bonus for defenders.

I always aid neighbors the first day. Some might attack back, but it doesn't happen often.

But those who attack me are pretty persistent, though, regardless of whether or not they scale my defense. I've had neighbors with 200-300% attack hit me for points, and I've had even more with little or no boost and always lose, yet they still hit my city.

My defense boost is similar to yours, and I'd say it was worth it. I'd rather take the chance that the 5-10 neighbors capable of beating my defense can potentially plunder me, rather than all 70. I'm thinking the neighbors toward the bottom of the hood will need the resources more and be more adamant about checking back for scraps. And I don't think it's THAT much space - I fit the structures where I can't fit anything else.

Mustapha00

The highest DEF boost I have is something over 500%. There are some who have taken that score far higher than I have, but I think that mine is substantial and ought to be effective.

It is....and it isn't.

My score might- might- be somewhat of a deterrent, although you'd either have to attack me or take some serious time trying to calculate it, so I'd question even that. But if a player has taken the time and put in the effort to get a decent ATT boost and they use the 'Magical Strategery', then it might as well be 50% or even 5%. That, to me, is a poorly implemented game mechanic.

DeletedUser37210

I think Defense matters if it is a part of the game which you like, especially plunderers who are worried about retaliation. I had my defense over 600 and realized that even that much couldn't keep the best of the hood out. I took it all down, deleted Basil and Deal, took it down to the 100's replacing it with fp production and attack. As a result, I have been plundered 4 times this year, and produced thousands of FP's using the space I saved. On the other hand, I was able to immediately snipe the plunderers for a combined 200 FP or so in retaliation, which goes back to the point that everybody hates a plunderer, and none of the three were able to get some 1.9 friends.
I would rather use my shields for 30% attack to get a little farther in GBg.

DeletedUser25166

If we discount ego, having a dedicated defense is a waste of space compared to what could fill it. If you think it's fun to repel an attacker, more power to ya, but it makes your city weaker than what it could be. It doesn't really matter how much defense Inno tempts players with, a city that focuses on defense will almost always have less net production than one that doesn't, all things being equal.
Disagree. My play style dictates city defense. I dont need to add buildings where my city defense is. I plunder and get more than I would from those buildings

DeletedUser25166

The benefits of pvp are extremely questionable. You can make more medals from leveling one gb than you could doing all of the towers combined. You can get hundreds of fights in per day just being in a guild and doing GVG/GE/GBG and much better prizes for those fights.
Or, you do all that and pvp. And get more