• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does This make YOU sick? (Drone footage)

DeletedUser32389

I've been experimenting with some new flying and editing techniques, and I'm looking for some eyes that are outside of my field. Frankly, I'm curious if this footage makes you motion sick :)

It's all set to music
Comments and Criticisms welcome

DeletedUser32389

It's basically a racing quadcopter that's custom designed to keep a better center of gravity with a Gopro on it. About 65 MPH top speed in a straight line, but I can hit much faster speeds in a dive. Truth is, that's already too fast, and now I'm working to tone my footage back and making it more "cinematic" It's a two camera system. The small camera sends a picture in real time to the goggles on the left, while the Gopro captures HD onboard. These are a few that I've built
2NYpdRK.jpg

DeletedUser36624

First off, I get motion sick playing first person shooters. So I don't play them.

I first watched it in the little window on the forum. No problem. Then I expanded to full screen. I expected I would have problems with it. But going to full screen caused a lot of pixellation, especially in the fastest moving parts that would have been the most problematic, and I expect this broke the "immersive" quality needed to fake my brain into thinking I'm moving.

DeletedUser32389

First off, I get motion sick playing first person shooters. So I don't play them.
I first watched it in the little window on the forum. No problem. Then I expanded to full screen. I expected I would have problems with it. But going to full screen caused a lot of pixellation, especially in the fastest moving parts that would have been the most problematic, and I expect this broke the "immersive" quality needed to fake my brain into thinking I'm moving.
The issue of quality is a constant for streaming, especially when we're pulling it from one site to another. If you're interested, it may work better from youtube directly.

DeletedUser32389

a little bit,yes.i get a headache.
If you don't mid me asking, how far did you get? Do you recall visually the moment you were off board?
I'm realizing a better experiment would be to ramp footage up instead of syncing it with music...

DeletedUser32389

i watched the wohle video now.it was like i was somewhere else for a few seonds...it was really wiedrd:)
Sometimes i wake up at sunrise and fly. It's extra mind bending when you're just waking up.

This one is more traditional, you know, with time moving forward :) It's actually super addictive once you get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominator - X

Cool video, but no, it didn't make me sick. I was dizzy and vomited for about an hour after watching it, but I don't think those reactions were related. I am sure they were coincidental.

Where was it filmed?

Dominator - X

The two above were filmed in South Florida, but I just finished a cut that covers Vermont and Costa Rica as well

Awesome. Anything with snow and large bodies of water, and I just melt.

Real Estate companies, especially high end commercial and Resort type properties are employing drone operators with this kind of experience. Does this interest you, or are you already contracting to do such? I mean, if you are just keeping it a hobby and not wanting to take it further, I get that.

DeletedUser32389

Real Estate companies, especially high end commercial and Resort type properties are employing drone operators with this kind of experience. Does this interest you, or are you already contracting to do such? I mean, if you are just keeping it a hobby and not wanting to take it further, I get that.

I started building these to do nature footage. Flying low through densely wooded areas is a sure way to crash a drone, but mine can be fixed in a few hours. Often after a bad crash all I need to do is change the propellers and that only takes a few minutes. I travel a lot, and I plan on doing short docuseries on some of the locations. I also work with the local arm of a national ocean conservation non-profit, and I try to provide dynamic footage for their various projects.

Commercial flying is often really boring, but I shoot real estate more like a music video, and put it to music much like my fun edits. The music and dramatic editing can add to the wow factor of the property if it's done correctly.

Anything with snow and large bodies of water, and I just melt.

More snow and rivers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominator - X

I started building these to do nature footage. Flying low through densely wooded areas is a sure way to crash a drone, but mine can be fixed in a few hours. Often after a bad crash all I need to do is change the propellers and that only takes a few minutes. I travel a lot, and I plan on doing short docuseries on some of the locations. I also work with the local arm of a national ocean conservation non-profit, and I try to provide dynamic footage for their various projects.

Commercial flying is often really boring, but I shoot real estate more like a music video, and put it to music much like my fun edits. The music and dramatic editing can add to the wow factor of the property if it's done correctly.

More snow and rivers:
That... Was... Awesome...
Reminds me of the "salad days", as they call them.
A group of my friends and I travelled all over the NW and parts of Colorado in our 20s and rented condos and homes to ski at various resorts. Good memories.
Cool footage too. Thank you.

DeletedUser32389

That... Was... Awesome...
Then I have one more if you care to see it. Mostly the same locations, but this more more of a B sides cut. This is when I was first trying my hand at time remapping, and it also has my single longest flight in a snowstorm.

DeletedUser31440

Not sure if you've heard of them, but I think you might like the sound. Check out the band? arist? Dirtwire. I think it might jive well with your videos.