• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Donating to GBs outside of swap threads

DeletedUser29623

Most of my GB donations have either been through guild swap threads or sniping GBs around the hood for bps (often at a loss) or rewards. I approached a friend, not in my guild, about swapping on his DT so that I could get prints. He wasn’t into that, but said “slap some fps on it and I’ll try to lock you in 1st and level it in the next couple of days.”

He obviously produces a lot more FP per day than I do, and I wasn’t sure how much to donate to the GB would be considerate. It seems that many advanced players arrange GB donations with others in a way I don’t totally understand, a way that involves them putting down most of the FPs on their own buildings, something I’ve been avoiding. How exactly do most of you do it?

DeletedUser31592

This is a pretty personal situation. So I can only answer as me.

Since they are doing you a favor, I would at minimum put on the equivalent of the 1st place reward (plus Arc bonus if you have one in that city). Above that, it would depend on what level the GB is. So somewhere between my minimum and half. Personally, I'd be willing to spend more if the DT is at a level that pays multiple BPs for 1st. If it is a low level, where you only get 1 or 2 BPs, I try to keep it as close to the minimum as possible.

Yesterday, I sent some feelers out for PE goods in one of my cities. Someone said they'd help (not a friend or guildmate!) I asked their rate and they told me whatever I could afford. I gave them the number I paid in another world- they accepted. I got about 1/3 back from the reward spot on their GB. I assume they would have accepted less, but I didn't want to take advantage. I paid way less than a former guildmate had offered, so I was happy.

DeletedUser29623

Since they are doing you a favor, I would at minimum put on the equivalent of the 1st place reward (plus Arc bonus if you have one in that city). Above that, it would depend on what level the GB is. So somewhere between my minimum and half. Personally, I'd be willing to spend more if the DT is at a level that pays multiple BPs for 1st. If it is a low level, where you only get 1 or 2 BPs, I try to keep it as close to the minimum as possible.

This would be the case even if they aren't selling you goods? I'm basically giving this guy 100+ FP in exchange for nothing, so it feels like the favor is mutual, assuming that he'd only accept if he wants to level the GB?

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

I have nor used a swap thread in a year. I've been in a 5/10 reverse triangle daily swap for pver 2 yeas. Up until 2 weeks ago I had not been in any regular swap for over 5 months.

About 90% my bar FPs go to what I call 'sneaking' Incremental unsolicited unmatched donations.

The psychology and techniques are surprisingly similar to self leveling. The results can be spectacular.

Works well with or without Arc. No obliggations, No schedule, No looking for partners. No worries about being sniped, coordinating, assuring folks get their Rewards.

DeletedUser27889

This would be the case even if they aren't selling you goods? I'm basically giving this guy 100+ FP in exchange for nothing, so it feels like the favor is mutual, assuming that he'd only accept if he wants to level the GB?
I disagree.

Arc players get most of their points (depending on the level of the building) for free. Through contributions of other arcs locking their top spots at their full value or close to it. By him turning his attention to this building it is going to A) Cost him more than it will cost you and B) take his attention and FP away from what he actually wants to work on.

Please keep in mind that what I'm saying, I'm not saying for you to take personally in any way or is any observation of you in particular what so ever. If you think about it from his perspective such a request could almost seem, self serving and selfish. You have something he needs, you have nothing he needs. To trade with you would end up costing him twice the points. The points put on yours then the extra points put on his to make it profitable for an arc snipe. He's agreeing to help you to get you the BPs you need but in a way that while it doesn't benefit him much (assuming he had no plans to bring his DT up another level) it's not going to cost him as much as trading you would.

If he does the method I do, put your own points on till a arc can come in and break even then you putting points on actually does not lower the cost for an arc to come in and take a spot. That arc needs to account for your points when figuring the lock amount. It will cost him less by the time he's ready to flip but he will still need to front all the points to allow an arc to lock.

There is no real way of knowing what he means other than asking him, which is exactly what I would do if I were you and phrase it like 'How many points would you like me to put on and what position are you aiming for me to end up in?"

You may be under the assumption you'd be putting points on for first place, he may be under the assumption you know your only getting 5th for BPs. There will be no way to know what way he's going to level the building unless you ask. I wouldn't want to see you disappointed for you to put a lot on only for him to call in his arc friends for a lock once he can.

Realistically if someone is looking for BPs they would need to spend well over the typical 90% + base of that position to secure it. Even then unless it is locked it is not secured. He could, with no mal intentions, offer to pay back the difference and then some to someone to come in and lock over that amount to keep costs of the building down. That would be the cost for him as well as your BPs.

Again not trying to come off as rude just trying to explain how leveling buildings trading arc swaps are vastly different than regular swaps and anyone contributing to a GB looking for BPs either needs to go big or go home or they aren't really helping the owner out much. If all you end up giving him is the reward x .9 for a spot he's still spending the exact same amount he would be having arc friends lock than if you hadn't contributed anything.

DeletedUser31592

When hunting for BPs, I have paid much more than the reward payout. He is doing you a favor. When someone does me a favor, I make sure they come out ahead, not me.

Example:
I'll use level 10 for the DT as an example.
Level 10 costs 930FPs to unlock.
1st rewards 105 FPs, 2nd 55 FPs, 3rd 20 FPs, and 4th 5 FPs. 1st pays 3 BPs and 2-4th pays 2 BPs, and 5th pays 1 BP.
By self leveling, he could get a few level 80 Arc friends to drop break-even FPs on it- so 200 for 1st, 105 for 2nd, 38 for 3rd, and 10 for 4th. Total of 353 FPs from Arc friends (who are not out anything). The remaining 577 for self leveling.

In my example, I'd honestly try to work it out with him to go after a lower spot because 4th is only 1 BP less. I would probably try to work out to get 3rd or 4th for the 25-50 FP range. If I wanted 1st, I'd be prepared to spend at least 200 FPs for it.

ETA: I see Manda posted while I was typing. Our views are exactly the same. She explained it well. I tend to be more mathematical than verbose ;)

DeletedUser29623

No offense taken! But I think you're both assuming the guy is more advanced than he is. His DT was only at level 1 and we are currently working on the next level, and we are the only people putting points on it, beyond a coupla one-pointers. He does have a level 7 Arc (lower than mine), but doesn't seem to be working on it. I don't have the impression he's got a lot of Level 80 Arc friends, as the other building he's leveling is a Cape and the biggest donator has only put on 23 pts -- I think this might be from a swap thread.

On consideration, I don't think that my original question was well-considered, as I just assumed he was more advanced than he actually is and he seems to have his own way of doing things. He doesn't seem to mind leveling the DT largely on his own with me kicking in 100 pts. for Bps (which is indeed more than 1.9 of the reward).

However, I do really appreciate the explanations above, as that is basically the sort of thing I wanted to know, even if it doesn't apply in this case.

DeletedUser31592

Ok. Level 1? Yeah, that changes things.
Don't go above 50% of the cost of the level. I would try to keep it as low as possible. Which I did address in my first post (quoted below)

Honestly? I'd try to find someone with a more advanced DT so you get multiple BPs out of your investment.

... Personally, I'd be willing to spend more if the DT is at a level that pays multiple BPs for 1st. If it is a low level, where you only get 1 or 2 BPs, I try to keep it as close to the minimum as possible....

DeletedUser29623

I do have points out on another, bigger DT, but there just aren't that many in my friends list and/or hood. None in my guild. I'm not sure I want it enough to hassle with the GB list on the browser version, the way I did with the Chateau. I want it, but not that bad!

DeletedUser32232

Lauramiller, you are in a situation where there are very few DT around but you have 1 owner ready to help you get what you want. I would start contributing what you could afford and see where it takes you. Maybe a pm to coordinate with him. I don't think you can pass this opportunity up. You have an
Arc and are familiar with sniping so you know how to keep the situation from being attractive to other Arc owners. You have wonderful advice from others in this thread. I think you're going to have to get in there and try to make it work. If the two of you can't get together here how long might it be before you see your DT?

DeletedUser29623

Thank you, Banat, but I got my DT! I help take that guy's DT up a couple of levels-- we did coordinate on it and it was fine. And I sniped @Stephen Longshanks DT! Then I bought the last BP and it's up and running. I don't know how useful it will be and it's ugly af, but it's fun to get all those surprise goods.

DeletedUser32232

Thank you, Banat, but I got my DT! I help take that guy's DT up a couple of levels-- we did coordinate on it and it was fine. And I sniped @Stephen Longshanks DT! Then I bought the last BP and it's up and running. I don't know how useful it will be and it's ugly af, but it's fun to get all those surprise goods.
I'll bet it was fun sniping @Stephen Longshanks GB. He probably deserved it.

DeletedUser

I'll bet it was fun sniping @Stephen Longshanks GB. He probably deserved it.
Que? I deserved for her to take the top spot on my DT? Why would that be a bad thing for me? Unless you're one of those that thinks "sniping" means to level someone else's GB. It doesn't. Just means she locked in a reward spot over other donators, in this case 1st position.

*Arturis*

If he put more than 2x the prize, that mean he is serious, as the owner you should lock him in if possible, it is the right thing to do:)

DeletedUser32232

Que? I deserved for her to take the top spot on my DT? Why would that be a bad thing for me? Unless you're one of those that thinks "sniping" means to level someone else's GB. It doesn't. Just means she locked in a reward spot over other donators, in this case 1st position.
Was meant good natured. Sorry you read it as a slur against you.

DeletedUser

If he put more than 2x the prize, that mean he is serious, as the owner you should lock him in if possible, it is the right thing to do:)
You're assuming I pay that close attention to my GB contribution levels. I don't. I play the game, I don't work it. :D