• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Egypt Settlement Quick Start Guide

Tutankhamen

Started from a base guide from (deleteduser) on the EN server.
Have since updated and improved it.

Make sure to read the Fighting notes in the comments below the Guide.

TimeTaskDetails
0 HoursStart the settlement early morning, so that the daily Fights will recycle and be ready when you are.
0 HoursMove the Town Hall - 4 spaces away from the west border
0 HoursIn the West side:
- build 2 huts along North border.
- build 3-length road running alongside them
- build 4 huts on the other side that road
- build 2-length road next to the 4 huts
- build 5th hut next to Town Hall, touching south border
- build 6th hut at the end of the 2-length road
- build 2 potted plants (pots) in the remaining empty space in SW corner
- build 1 pot at the end of the 3-length road
0 HoursIn the East side:
- Build 2 farms in the NE and SE corners.
- Build two 3-length roads along N and S borders to reach them.
- Build 1 camp, touching the Town Hall and the North road you just built.
- Build 1 hut, touching the Town Hall and the South road you just built.
- Build 2 pots in the remaining 2*1 space east of the hut.
0 HoursComplete Quests 1, 2 and Quest 3 This will open the Seige Camp (fighting pyramid). Every day at this same time, the fights will recycle. Choose your time wisely when you complete Quest 3.
0 HoursSell the camp and replace it with a farm.You'll now have 3 farms, 1 hut and 2 pots in the East side
0 HoursDefeat the Easy army in the pyramid.Fight manually to avoid losses using the unattached troops received from the 3rd quest. Don't lose any troops! Make a note of whether you received under 300 loot; this will affect how soon you have to do the medium combat.
0 HoursComplete Quest 4 Finish one BattleAt this stage you'll have 3 farms, 7 huts, 5 pots, completed 4 quests, and around 600 loot (or 1100, if you got the bonus)
1 HourStart 3*4-hour barley productions as soon as the farms are complete in 1 hourAt this stage you'll have 3 farms, 7 huts, around 450 loot, and completed 4 quests
5 HoursCollect the 3*4-hour barley productions when they finish
5 HoursComplete Quest 5 Gather 5 Barley
5 HoursStart 3*4-hour barley productions
5 HoursBuy one expansion for 1 barley.Ideally choose an expansion touching your hall and one of the roads on the East side. But try to avoid expansions with an impediment right in the middle, where it isolates lots of squares. You get one impediment removal when you complete Quest 5 above.
5 HoursBuild 4 pots in the expansion (in addition to the 5 you had already) to reach 60 (63) diplomacy
5 HoursComplete Quest 6 Have 60 Diplomacy
5 HoursBuy the advancement for Divine Statues with the remaining 14 barley
5 HoursSell ALL pots. (Then, make sure to de-select Sell mode!).
5 HoursMove all roads into the expansionRoads are expensive at 200 deben per square, so always try to move them out of the way rather than sell them. You're going to run short on deben in the early stages.
5 HoursMove the farm closest the Town Hall so it touches the north or south border away from the new expansion.
5 HoursClose-pack the huts in the West side so that there is room for 2 more huts.
5 HoursMove the hut in the East side into the West side
5 HoursBuy a second expansion (5 barley from quest 7 reward); put it adjacent to the first one you purchased already on the farm sideThis is critical: you're going to need 10 huts, to have enough population for the archer ranges. So pick an expansion that will enable this; or plan to use an impediment removal here.
5 HoursBuild 3 more huts (you need the population for Divine Statues).
- Move one to the west side, making 8 huts there.
- Sell 3 roads and move the other two huts into the expansion.
At this stage you have 3 farms, and 10 huts, the majority of which are disconnected.
5 HoursStart building 2 Divine Statues. They don't need to be connected because you're going to immediately delete them.I had to remove the impediment from my new expansion (makes 2 more squares); then I sold 2-3 roads, making enough room to put Div #1 in the expansion, then build Div#2
5 HoursComplete Quest 7 Have 2 Divine Statues and gain 25 Barley.
5 HoursSell both divine statues.
5 HoursRearrange your base: make room for 2 Nubian Archer ranges (2x5) on West side
- move middle grain farm off of border and reconnect farms
- 1 hut is in the East side with the farms
- 7 huts are in the expansions you bought
- 2 huts in the West side, leave room for Archers
- LAST: buy two Nubian Archer camps on West side
Move EVERYTHING first, BEFORE you buy the archer ranges. You need that space for mobility.
5 HoursConnect as many huts as possible to roads
5 HoursBuy and place 2 Nubian Archer ranges. (They take 4hrs to build)At this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 3 farms, 2 nubian, 9-10 huts, 20 Barley, around 300 loot, and completed 7 quests
9 hoursCollect the 3*4-hour barley productions when they finish.
9 hoursStart 4hr production in 1 farm
9 hoursSell the other 2 farms
9 hoursBuy 23 pots until you have 160 diplomacy
9 hoursBuy the tech for Pottery for 30 barley
9 hourssell all the pots
9 hoursRearrange your base to make room for Pottery buildings
- put the grain farm in the expansions with 3+ huts
- make room for 2 pottery and ~5 huts in the East side; most huts won't be connected
- buy 2 pottery LAST
Buy the pottery buildings last, or you won't have room to move.
9 hoursStart building 2 Nubian Archers
9 hoursBuild extra huts if you can connect them to roadsI couldn't, no room.
9 hoursAt this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 1 farm, 2 pottery, 2 nubian, 10+ huts, 5 Barley, around 250 loot, and completed 7 quests
10 hoursStart 2*4-hour pottery production as soon as the buildings are complete in 1 hour.
10 hoursAt this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 1 farm, 2 pottery, 2 nubian, 10+ huts, 5 Barley, around 150 loot, and completed 7 quests
14 hoursCollect the 3*4-hour productions when they finish
14 hoursComplete Quest 8 Gather 10 Pottery
14 hoursStart building 2 Nubian Archers
14 hoursDefeat the Medium army in the pyramid.At this stage you'll just have 2 attached Nubian Archers; use them if it makes sense to do so.
The medium battle will yield 305-400 loot (I'll assume 350 for simplicity)
14 hoursStart 3*8-hour productions
14 hoursBuy 4 expansions for pottery (cost 1,1,1,5 pottery)
14 hoursBuild extra good farms and/or pottery if you can fuel themThis will require getting lucky with 4* bonus, or completing the hard battle.
Normally I don't try to fight the Hard battle until much later - when I have elephants. See notes below about that. DO NOT fight the Hard guy and lose ANY troops, because at this point the loss will be devastating to your timeline!
If you can't grow any goods overnight due to lack of Loot, don't worry, you'll still have plenty of time.
14 hoursEnd of first day. Sleep well!At this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 nubian, 14+ huts, 10 Barley, 2 Pottery, around 200 loot, and completed 8 quests
From this point on, the guide gets more variable. Follow the general concepts if you can.
22 hoursCollect the 3*8-hour productions when they finish
22 hoursStart 3*4-hour productions
22 hoursStart building 2 Nubian ArchersAt this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 archers, 14+ huts, 20 Barley, 22 Pottery, around 50 loot, and completed 8 quests
26 hoursDefeat the Easy army in the pyramid.
26 hoursCollect the 3*4-hour productions when they finish
26 hoursStart 3*4-hour productions
26 hoursStart building troops in all buildingsAt this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 nubian, 14+ huts, 25 Barley, 32 Pottery, around 200 loot, and completed 8 quests
30 hours and onRepeat the steps from 26 Hours.
What comes next depends on what mix of goods you need for advancements.
As soon as space allows, build a camel barn (if not sooner).
Grow 4 camels.
Defeating even the Medium army with only archers is hard, if he has camels.
When you have enough barley and pots, sell all goods building(s) and build 36 pots to so that you can buy the clay house tech.Requires 250 diplomacy = 36 pots
Then replace huts with clay houses as much as possible.
Complete Quest 9 Have Two Clay Houses
Sell all pots.
Build 3 of the goods buildings you need to get to flowers.Each time you do the Settlement, the total number of goods needed for each Quest will be the same; but the mix of goods required will change each time.
Continue to gather goods for advancements up through flower farms.Requires 610 diplomacy = 24 Palm Gardens
Once you have all the goods needed for flowers, sell ALL goods farms, and put pots everywhere.
Then a flurry of things happens at once:
Quest 10: "Have 360 diplomacy OR Gather 30 Pottery"If you're struggling to bank enough Deben, somewhere around this time, if you have space, build some Divine Statues. They have nearly as much happiness per sq as Palms, but they also produce coins, which helps stay ahead of rebuilding fighters and roads.
BUT... they also require 41 people each; so only do this if you're running out of Deben.
Unlock palms (360 diplomacy), then sell all the pots and build palms.
Unlock water gardens (480 diplomacy)
Quest 11: "Have 2 Water Gardens"
Sell the water gardens. (They take an hour to build; and they're no more efficient than Cultivated Palms)
Unlock Flower Farms (610 diplomacy)
Build 3 flower farms (takes an hour)
Quest 12: "Have 1 Flower Farm"
Cycle a few times, make enough flowers to unlock Residential BlocksBy this point, I deleted my Divine Statues to make room for Palm Gardens. I already have 9000+ coins, so I don't need more; and Palm Gardens are more efficient happiness per square.
Quest 13: "Have 3 Residential Blocks"1060 diplomacy = 20 Palm Gardens
Quest 14: "Have 1 Elephant Stable"Don't delete it! Start building 4 elephants.
Once you have elephants, you can fight the Hard warlord in the pyramid battles. Use 4x elephants and 4x archers. Focus the archers on attacking the enemy's elephants; and focus your elephants on attacking his camels.
Quest 15: "Have 1230 diplomacy OR Gather 40 Flowers"1230 diplomacy = 24 Palm Gardens
Quest 16: "Have 1 Place of Prayer"1230 diplomacy = 24 Palm Gardens
Quest 17: "Have 1 Procession"1420 diplomacy = 26 Palm Gardens
Now make enough Sacrifices to buy Estates/Oasis, but NOT finish pyramids (yet)
Quest 18: "Have 1,610 diplomacy"1610 diplomacy = 4 Processions or 30 Palm Gardens
Quest 19: "Have 2 Luxury Estates" and "Have 1 Oasis"
When you get near the end, be careful! Quest 20 requires you to gather 20 Sacrifices. Don't delete the Prayer Place before that, and don't go too fast on Advancements without finishing the quests in sync -- or you'll have to backtrack and rebuild/regrow Sacrifices before you can continue to finish the settlement.
ALSO don't delete all your diplomacy stuff before you finish quest 21.
Quest 20: "Gather 300 Loot" and "Gather 20 Sacrificial Offerings"
Quest 21: "Have 1,820 diplomacy"8.2 Oases
Last stagesQuest 22 Build Pyramid. Don't be hasty to delete it. You may want to keep it to collect deben for Quest 23.
At the end, when you have all the 30x4 goods, delete all the goods buildings/farms, and build as many Processions or Pyramids as possible.
Processions and Pyramids produce the most coin (deben), and you need 30k to complete final quest.
Pyramids are much more space-efficient for coin collection (see previous tab)
Procession: At 465 per hour for 12h you can reasonably get 5580 deben per day; plus 1859 per 8h overnight, for a total of 7439 deben per day per Procession.
With 3 Processions, you can complete 30k for the quest in 4 days.
Quest 23:
"Gather 30,000 Deben"
"Gather 30 Barley"
"Gather 30 Pottery"
"Gather 30 Flowers"
"Gather 30 Sacrificial Offerings"
I typically start this quest with one pyramid and 6 goods farms. When you see that you have enough Loot to finish quest 23, you can delete all your military buildings and use the space for more goods farms.
When you finish making all the goods, delete those and build more pyramids, and speed up producing Deben.

Last edited:

Drumlin

Thank you for your insights, and especially your time. I have some notes from my first few times through, but having it layed out like your chart is extremely helpful.

Tutankhamen

FIGHTING IN EGYPT

Boosts from your main world do not apply.

Camels defeat Nubian Archers (“archers”)
Elephants defeat Camels (even in one blow!)
Archers defeat Elephants and Chariots

Strategy
  1. NEVER auto-fight in Egypt. You’ll lose too many troops.
  2. Don’t lose troops. Especially in the early days. It takes too long to replace them, and you’ll run out of coins (deben), too.
  3. If an opponent has more than 3 camels, don’t fight him at all.
  4. You can reliably complete Egypt under the first deadline without ever fighting the third/hard enemy.
    1. However, on the rare occasion when the third/hard guy has zero camels, and if it’s later in the cycle where I have plenty of camels and archers and deben, then I will fight him. But only when he has zero camels.
  5. Elephants and Chariots are slow to build, and expensive. Kopesh Fighters are nifty in a swarm, but otherwise too easy for the enemy to kill. I never build any of these.

Tactics
  1. Initially, don’t move fast against the enemy!
    1. If you run ahead, your fast troops will get out in front, and they will only get one hit on the enemy before he gets 8 hits on you. One vs eight is suicide.
    2. Ranged units do less damage when they’re hurt. Getting the first strike on the enemy is critical.
    3. Stay out of his range and wait for him to come to you. This way, you get many hits (from all of your fighters) on the one or two troops he moves toward you.
  2. Camels always get a retaliation attack. Try to attack the enemy’s camels with your archers, outside of the camel’s attack range.
  3. If you use Kopesh fighters (once I get Archers, I never use the K fighters)
    1. Keep them in a group - they get attack and defense “swarm” bonus when they’re touching each other.
    2. Even consider moving them into a swarm position before you attack an enemy unit (if you have that many choices).
    3. Move them into a bush. They get a bonus for this too.
  4. Chariots
    1. Get a +30 attack bonus when touching an enemy. Stay away from them!
    2. Chariots are easily defeated by your Archers if you keep your distance.

My standard order of battle:
  • I only ever use Camels and Archers (except for using K Fighters the first day)
  • My base configuration is 2 camels and 6 archers.
  • If the enemy has a lot of camels then I might use 4 camels and 4 archers.
  • Deploy them in two groups of four, split evenly.
  • Move one group north-northeast, and the other group south-southeast. This forces the enemy to choose between splitting his forces, or running down the middle and being surrounded (which he does, more often).

Last edited by a moderator:

elnyry

Thanks for the post, very comprehensive and informative..

The only concern I have is (especially for repeats) around doing the 4hr productions which may cause significant "bonus" loss when the "x4" happens..

I did Egyptian so far three times with 10days left in #2 and #3 runs but on #1 was close to the timeline about 2days left.. would like to try this one out for one of my next tries..

Thanks again!

Tutankhamen

Hey elnyry,

If you do a 4-hour production and build 5 goods, and get the 4x, then you make 20 goods.
If you do an 8-hr production and build 10 goods, and get the 4x, then you make 40 goods.

BUT: if you do 4-hr productions twice (over 8 hours), you have the same % chance of hitting the bonus each time. So you really don't lose anything, statistically. Over time, with many tries, statistically you'll end up with the same total number of goods regardless of using 4-hr or 8-hr productions.

HOWEVER: Let's say you're at a point where you only need 20 goods, and you have two buildings. You're better off to choose 4-hr productions instead of 8-hr productions. Because if you're lucky, and you get the 4x bonus the first time, you've saved yourself 4 extra hours.

So, you're sometimes better off using 4-hr productions -- as long as you're going to be around to check them in 4 hrs when they're baked. And there's never an advantage to using 8-hr productions (except overnight when you won't be awake to collect and reset).

CommunistPotato

FIGHTING IN EGYPT

Boosts from your main world do not apply.

Camels defeat Nubian Archers (“archers”)
Elephants defeat Camels (even in one blow!)
Archers defeat Elephants and Chariots

Strategy
  1. NEVER auto-fight in Egypt. You’ll lose too many troops.
  2. Don’t lose troops. Especially in the early days. It takes too long to replace them, and you’ll run out of coins (deben), too.
  3. If an opponent has more than 3 camels, don’t fight him at all.
  4. You can reliably complete Egypt under the first deadline without ever fighting the third/hard enemy.
    1. However, on the rare occasion when the third/hard guy has zero camels, and if it’s later in the cycle where I have plenty of camels and archers and deben, then I will fight him. But only when he has zero camels.
  5. Elephants and Chariots are slow to build, and expensive. Kopesh Fighters are nifty in a swarm, but otherwise too easy for the enemy to kill. I never build any of these.

Tactics
  1. Initially, don’t move fast against the enemy!
    1. If you run ahead, your fast troops will get out in front, and they will only get one hit on the enemy before he gets 8 hits on you. One vs eight is suicide.
    2. Ranged units do less damage when they’re hurt. Getting the first strike on the enemy is critical.
    3. Stay out of his range and wait for him to come to you. This way, you get many hits (from all of your fighters) on the one or two troops he moves toward you.
  2. Camels always get a retaliation attack. Try to attack the enemy’s camels with your archers, outside of the camel’s attack range.
  3. If you use Kopesh fighters (once I get Archers, I never use the K fighters)
    1. Keep them in a group - they get attack and defense “swarm” bonus when they’re touching each other.
    2. Even consider moving them into a swarm position before you attack an enemy unit (if you have that many choices).
    3. Move them into a bush. They get a bonus for this too.
  4. Chariots
    1. Get a +30 attack bonus when touching an enemy. Stay away from them!
    2. Chariots are easily defeated by your Archers if you keep your distance.

My standard order of battle:
  • I only ever use Camels and Archers (except for using K Fighters the first day)
  • My base configuration is 2 camels and 6 archers.
  • If the enemy has a lot of camels then I might use 4 camels and 4 archers.
  • Deploy them in two groups of four, split evenly.
  • Move one group north-northeast, and the other group south-southeast. This forces the enemy to choose between splitting his forces, or running down the middle and being surrounded (which he does, more often).
ranged units do less damage when hurt? I never knew that.