• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Equity???

Algona

Understand that comes at the cost of never progressing beyond Iron Age. Why even play?

Too bad you spoiled the surprise, would have been funny to see them back here in a few weeks asking the inevitable followup. To which the answer will be:

E is for Every
L is for Learning
V is for aVerse*
E is for pEacemonger*
N is for Needs
A is for Another
R is for Realm

* OK, so I had to stretch here. Sue me.

Nashtah

It appears to me that the emphasis is less on "playing the game" than it is "feeding the egos of those who are willing to buy diamonds" If you want to make the game competitive and not monetary, restrict the conflicts to members of the same age.

Yes the game does reward spending diamonds but being at the top of an age and being able to attack the hood while in a higher age has nothing to do with diamonds.

I spent two weeks attacking my hood when I move up to Colonial when in the Late middle ages hoods. But in order to do that I had to be already at the top of the hood and able to research the whole level in one day and have the age up kits to move some of my buildings up an age. I don't spend money on diamonds in the age instead I stay at an age until I am in the top2-10, I set goal on city growth I want to hit before leaving and I age up slowly as that is one of the few things in the game you can't undo. I attack and win a lot on people that are the age higher than me in my hood but ranked in the hood 40-80, because they A don't reset the defense on their towns and B are flying up in age but have a very basic/weak city. Current goals for my city are getting al GB's to about level 60 and have attack bonuses of 350/350 so I plan to stay in Colonial Age for about 9 more months.

Johnny B. Goode

Well said. When seeking advice I recommend that you vet the responder as best you can. There are many false prophets on the Forum that confuse experience with expertise.
Spreading your nonsense here, too? How about false prophets who somehow think experience and expertise are mutually exclusive? Or don't exhibit either? By the way, your use of the acronym "imho" is highly ironic.

The Lady Redneck

Experience much beyond 2 years is, imho, mostly irrelevant.
That answers something that has puzzled me for a good while in the game now. I am seeing a BIG increase of players who are in guilds where the Founders obviously have no in depth knowledge of the mechanics of the game. They have no idea how to teach their new member anything. other than get an Arc and use nothing but 1,9 to level your GBs. So these members are relying on much of the miss information fed to them by trolls in global chat for the world they play in. If guild has a founder and leaders that reject the basic concept of the game it is no wonder there are so many players sitting in all these dead or dying guilds not knowing what to do or where to go to find the help they need.

And I have played for 9 years so have a head full of 7years of useless knowledge it seems. And I am getting enough diamonds from the game itself not to need to spend cash to get them. But how to do that was explained to me by other long term players who heads are also filled with Irrelevent game experiences.

Last edited:

Agent327

The game changed in November 2019 when GBG was introduced. The "how to's", up to that point, regarding earning diamonds and fps pretty much went out the window. Before that, ARC had its impact on how to earn fps. Traz eliminated the need for most military buildings. Inno eliminated houses. CF/Arc eliminated goods buildings. The game is ever-changing and that makes it enjoyable. As far as I am concerned, knowledge is of little value unless it can be put to use and the best measure of utilization is demonstrated expertise in building a city - which is the goal of the game.

Game did not change with the introduction of GBG. Game is changing all the time since the start in 2012. There have been many "game changers" and if you think there was just one, you are mistaken.

Emberguard

The "how to's", up to that point, regarding earning diamonds and fps pretty much went out the window.
Except it didn’t go out the window. Not in the slightest. It was those how to’s that allowed players to succeed at GBG in the first place. GBG is a big earner yes. No one’s denying that. That didn’t remove diamond farms as a side earner. That didn’t remove questing for goods production. That didn’t remove the need to have the most efficient city layout possible in order to fit as much in as you possibly can. That didn’t remove plundering. That didn’t remove sniping. It certainly didn’t remove events

Go crazy with GBG by all means. I agree that’s a great earner of resources. Doesn’t make the other stuff redundant. Especially as not everyone will have access to a open province to attack every time they come online to check GBG

Funny thing is it also didn’t remove goods buildings. Those came back into some guilds purely because of GBG and treasury needs. If you don’t have game knowledge, you can’t utilise it when something is added or changes. Which also means you’re less able to adapt to any future changes that could have utilised that knowledge

knowledge is of little value unless it can be put to use and the best measure of utilization is demonstrated expertise in building a city
“Best measure of utilization is demonstrated expertise in building a city.”

I agree with that statement. That would mean a player who can adapt under any circumstances, not just the easiest path available. 1.9 + GBG doesn’t prove you can build a city. It proves you can do one particular path

Johnny B. Goode

The game changed in November 2019 when GBG was introduced. The "how to's", up to that point, regarding earning diamonds and fps pretty much went out the window. Before that, ARC had its impact on how to earn fps. Traz eliminated the need for most military buildings. Inno eliminated houses. CF/Arc eliminated goods buildings. The game is ever-changing and that makes it enjoyable. As far as I am concerned, knowledge is of little value unless it can be put to use and the best measure of utilization is demonstrated expertise in building a city - which is the goal of the game.
The game changed in 2014 when GvG was introduced (two years after the game's launch).
The game changed again in 2014 when the mobile apps were introduced (sans GvG).
The game changed every time a new age opened up. Originally it only went to Colonial Age, I believe.
The game changed when the lead game designer passed away.
The game changed when the ranking formula was revamped. (Oh, the howls of outrage.)
The game changed when new GBs were introduced with each new age.
The game changed when the 10 level limit on GBs was done away with.
The game changed when unrefined goods were introduced with Modern Era.
The game changed when two lane roads were introduced.
The game changed when Special Goods were introduced in Arctic Future.
The game changed when eras were introduced in stages instead of all at once. And now it seems that the game has changed back in that regard.
The game changed when Treasure Hunt was dropped in favor of the new Daily Challenge.
The game changed when Guild Expedition was introduced.
The game changed when Historical Questlines were dropped. Boy, I miss those.
The game changed when the Antiques Dealer was introduced.
The game changed when the Friends Tavern was introduced.
The game changed when Guild BattleGrounds was introduced.
The game changes every few weeks when an update takes effect, sometimes in minor ways, sometimes in major ones.

This is far from a comprehensive list, but you can see how us long-time players might find your "GBG changed the world" statements to be rather humorous and naive.

RazorbackPirate

One of the items is "The game changed when the Friend's Tavern was introduced". Allow me this question. Can you please explain to me how knowledge of game mechanics pre-Tavern can help be build my city in this post-Tavern world. I'm sorry but I have little use for a library of arcane knowledge. Instead, describing the tactics you use now and the results they generate would be helpful.
Can you cite any pre-Tavern knowledge that is no longer relevant to game play today? What functionality changed so dramatically, or was removed upon the introduction of the Tavern that knowledge of it is so arcane it no longer applies?

We'll wait.

Johnny B. Goode

Can you please explain to me how knowledge of game mechanics pre-Tavern can help be build my city in this post-Tavern world.
Except for event/DC quests, you can basically ignore the Friends Tavern if you wish. When it was introduced, the attack boost was a major help to some. Not so much now with event buildings giving tons of attack boost. That's one of the things we have adapted to over the years. Tavern Silver just piles up unneeded except to fulfill quests in most experienced players' cities. If your city is so weak that you need to negotiate in GE, then the extra turn boost can come in handy, but that's a minor convenience, not a game changer.

RazorbackPirate

I don't have a clue how the mechanics of the game changed with the advent of the Tavern nor do I care. It's "back in the day" and it's not remotely relevant to my game now.
It changed nothing. Whatever players did pre-Tavern, they continued to do post-Tavern and continue to do today.

In other words, the straws you're grasping for don't exist. Sorry if this hurts your feelings.

Algona

you can see how us long-time players might find your "GBG changed the world" statements to be rather humorous and naive.

Agreed for the most part. But there is a glimpse of something in Pericles thoughts that ties in strongly with Lt.Stark;s excellent post.

I am seeing a BIG increase of players who are in guilds where the Founders obviously have no in depth knowledge of the mechanics of the game.

Next to Arc, the advent of GBG has prolly had the biggest impact on the game of any fundamental aspect of the game introduced since the start.

I agree with Lt.Stark, all a player needs to learn is join a Guild with 1.9, get lvl 80 Arc, do GBG.

Which accounts for a lot of posters popping up in the last year whose only claim to competence is having followed that system.

As always, i'm slow on the uptake but i get there. Between Pericles, Lt.Stark, and JBG I finally got there. I'm happy it took only 9 months or so.

JBG, you already figured it out? Lt.Stark were you active then?

Remember a few years back when there was another dominant strategy that after a while produced a lot of disciples who shared the common traits of zealous fervor for the cause and the dismissive belief that if you didn't follow the true path that you didn't know jack about the game and that if it didn't have to do with HQS it wasn't important?

Same song, different verse.

I got the revisiting HQS posters blues! Give me a strong blues line!

bah da da da bump. bah da da da bump.

Yeah, that's what I need.

A long time ago, CR spread the word

about the power of them old RQs,

he told us how to do it, how to make it work,

cause HQS kicked ass like nothing before

What no one said, was that while it worked best

some of us found it boring, when put to the test

we found other ways to play the game

but the HQS zealots, kept saying we were lame

years have gone by, fatming RQs has it's place

thank God the game advancing put the zealots to sleep.

but then along came GBG and new zealots are born,

we gonna have to put up with another dooky storm

ignorant players who don't understand the game,

can build powerful cities, i'm back to being lame.

I got the 'because I don't like the current best strategy I must not understand the game. Again. ' bahhhhluuuuuesss.

Thanks. Been trying to figure out the deja vu I've been feeling for about 9 months.

Disclaimer: Just as the last time the majority of folk doing Arc+GBG are fine players.

On the other hand there are gonna be a lot of ignorant players who think because they can follow this system they understand the game.

I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be going through this again.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

With all my years of irrelevant knowledge clogging up my head. To me one of the first of the major changes in the game (After GvG) was the now humble (and despised by some) little OBS. Before that everyone had to pay their guild dues into the guild treasury out of their own stock. Once everyone got an OBS and leveled it to 10. It meant a huge boost to guild income and allowed each player to keep all the goods they produced and enabled them to trade much more effectively and so boost their own capability. Then when Arc came along so many got rid of the OBS as it was one of those old (and therefore irrelevant) things in the game. But again despite high level Arcs and event building giving goods. clear thinking guilds using irrelevant knowledge are again placing the little OBS on the must have list. But Modern guild founders that are fixated on Arc being the only GB to go for have all their members bogged down trying to get it first and are ignoring the importance of the OBS for enabling early age players to help their guild and themselves at a time when resources are harder to come by.

Agent327

Perhaps you should have read my entire post before reacting to its first sentence . I wrote "the game is ever-changing and that makes it enjoyable".

Perhaps you should not have posted one specific example with a date to add to it when there are so many and way before the date you mentioned.

The Lady Redneck

I agree with Lt.Stark, all a player needs to learn is join a Guild with 1.9, get lvl 80 Arc, do GBG.
I was using that as an example of the modernist guild mentality. Not mine (see my signature) I love my level 80 Arc and 1.9 threads. But I do not believe they are the be all and end all in the game. I will still encourage low age members of a guild to form 5 person swap threads with fellow guildies to raise their GBs to a level where they make 1.9 viable. as low level GBs swallow up a lot of FPs which could be put to better use earning their owners a place on other GBs they are going to need BPs for. (OK I know that thinking is irrelevant )
I would also tell them that GBG is a necessary mind numbing grind OK they will get goodies to help themselves and the guild BUT it MUST be done even if it does bore the socks off them. But if they want to have actual fun and laughter and a high old time with their guild mates then get a laptop and get into a guild that can teach them the even more irrelevant GvG. THEN and only then should they contemplate starting their own guild and spend time building it so they can take on the big guys. How is that for irrelevant thinking????

The Lady Redneck

@ Algona yes I remember CR. He was in N world I think it was. And was on my FL. So I followed his teaching :)) And I still do a fair amount of RQing. especially moreso now my CF is getting on up there. BUT At first I played in the UK and game was still in its Beta phase I remember having a question about something and being told to ask this other player about it. He had his own spikey shouldered avatar. And also used the Henry the VIII looking one. To say my jaw hit my laptop keyboard hard when I realized who he was is an understatement. Was scared stiff to say anything at all to him for a while after that LOL.

Agent327

No. My post spoke to the changes brought about by the introduction of GBG. The fact that there were prior changes, and subsequent ones, was not relevant to my point (although I did refer to them) and even described the game as "ever-changing". Look, this has become a huge waste of my time. The cartel of "Well Known Members" pounce on every new poster if that poster has a viewpoint that runs contrary to theirs. This strangles th opportunity to learn and simply drives people away. I'm checking out of the Forum. There are many other drama-free sources of information available. Y'all deserve each other.

Your post starts with " The game changed in November 2019 when GBG was introduced " as if that was the only and biggest change. To me that really does not look like a viewpoint, but more as a fact that everybody should accept. This is how it is and you better accept that.

I think the problem is not that your viewpoint is contrary to that of others, but that you are just not willing to accept or admit that you can be wrong.