• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Events and jumping an Age

Bitter Lily

I have an Iron Age city that is ready to jump to EMA. I'm itching to jump, moreover. Normally, I'd time my jump for a Thursday, to get the best advantage in GE & GBg. But Spring is about to be sprung upon us, and I'm wondering if I should spend tomorrow upgrading everything in readiness for the Event. Put it another way: When a quest comes up that references your "Current Age" in some fashion (such as setting a variable), is the "Current Age" set at the beginning of the event, or at the moment that the quest shows up?

RazorbackPirate

The moment the quest shows up. Keep in mind that upgrades to buildings also update the building to the current age, so there's really no need from an event building standpoint to age up before an event.

Also keep in mind that aging up increases the requirements of all the quests, amount of coins, supplies, goods, paid and gathered, a higher number of productions needed, your battles get harder, and current age units will be needed, units you may not yet have unlocked the tech for.

Personally, I'd wait until after the event, but you do you.

Bitter Lily

The moment the quest shows up. Keep in mind that upgrades to buildings also update the building to the current age, so there's really no need from an event building standpoint to age up before an event.

Also keep in mind that aging up increases the requirements of all the quests, amount of coins, supplies, goods, paid and gathered, a higher number of productions needed, your battles get harder, and current age units will be needed, units you may not yet have unlocked the tech for.

Personally, I'd wait until after the event, but you do you.
Thank you! While it's true that the quest requirements will get harder, the quest prizes will get better. And I can't wait till April 21st for this; I've been prepping for a month now. So if I'm going to jump, your answer says: do it today. Get the most complicated part done before the event starts. Thank you for your answer.

DevaCat

I fall into the "wait" camp too, but having said that... I have had the Iron Age Itch myself. Been there so long prepping for a move up that I could not stand one minute longer. Tired of the military, of goats and butchers, cramped for room, yikes all of it! So tired in fact that I would have resisted any rational argument against moving up regardless of the timing.

Good luck, and please post later and let us know how it went.

Bitter Lily

I fall into the "wait" camp too, but having said that... I have had the Iron Age Itch myself. Been there so long prepping for a move up that I could not stand one minute longer. Tired of the military, of goats and butchers, cramped for room, yikes all of it! So tired in fact that I would have resisted any rational argument against moving up regardless of the timing.

Good luck, and please post later and let us know how it went.
So far, it's going fine. I really was prepped, so I could jump in less than 6 hours on the day before the event started, including building construction time. (That is, during most of that I could go do other things.) It helps, of course, that I was only jumping to Early Medieval; for many later ages, I assume, building construction takes a lot longer! And I negotiate rather than fight, so it was good enough to get early tech that permits the goods plants I have a boost for, plus of course Multi-Story Houses & Economics. And while I couldn't get to the tech expansions on this plan, the diamond expansions & tearing down some of my earlier goods factories have given me plenty of room for EMA plants. I have to admit, I haven't put in the base Bridge yet, so as to have real estate for Event Quest buildings.

Fighters, I can see, would have to gobble a lot more real estate on the tech tree to feel comfortable! However, as a negotiator, I could prep by buying high-Age goods and trading them down in preparation for my jump. I currently still have a stash of Late Medieval goods that I've been turning into EMA & IA goods as I've needed them while the event progresses. So yes, I cheated! LOL, it may take that to feel comfortable jumping the day before the event -- but then, I told you all I was prepared!

DevaCat

So far, it's going fine. I really was prepped, so I could jump in less than 6 hours on the day before the event started, including building construction time. (That is, during most of that I could go do other things.) It helps, of course, that I was only jumping to Early Medieval; for many later ages, I assume, building construction takes a lot longer! And I negotiate rather than fight, so it was good enough to get early tech that permits the goods plants I have a boost for, plus of course Multi-Story Houses & Economics. And while I couldn't get to the tech expansions on this plan, the diamond expansions & tearing down some of my earlier goods factories have given me plenty of room for EMA plants. I have to admit, I haven't put in the base Bridge yet, so as to have real estate for Event Quest buildings.

Fighters, I can see, would have to gobble a lot more real estate on the tech tree to feel comfortable! However, as a negotiator, I could prep by buying high-Age goods and trading them down in preparation for my jump. I currently still have a stash of Late Medieval goods that I've been turning into EMA & IA goods as I've needed them while the event progresses. So yes, I cheated! LOL, it may take that to feel comfortable jumping the day before the event -- but then, I told you all I was prepared!
Doesn't sound like cheating, sounds like good prep!

Good point about building times, it does take longer in each following age. A higher leveled guild can reduce that a bit but it's still a factor for sure. Smart as well to have had that stash of LMA goods to help bridge the gap until your production kicked in for the event. Sweet.

I both fight and negotiate, so when I've done it I rushed to get at least the Light and Heavy units built. With existing rogues I was comfortable fighting with those and got the others built later. Like you, I didn't worry about rushing to get to the tech tree expansions. I usually don't place a grand prize building until I have all the upgrades for it, or at least enough to make it worth placing. By then the expansion is there, or I could use a store item to make room.

Sounds great, good luck with the bridge!