• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Expected damage inaccurate?

MOAGLEE

In LMA when I deploy heavy knights (attack +100%) against cannons, it tells me an expected damage of 7-8, yet I almost always one-shot them after an infiltration, which implies a damage of 9.

What's going on?

Expletive Deleted

It's likely a terrain change. If your unit moves to new terrain the expected damage can change based on the boosts offered. The displayed 7-8 damage is what to expect while standing on the current tile.

MOAGLEE

It's likely a terrain change. If your unit moves to new terrain the expected damage can change based on the boosts offered. The displayed 7-8 damage is what to expect while standing on the current tile.

But heavy knights have no terrain bonuses. And it's not chivalry either, because I'm fighting with several transformed rogues.

Do you have a Artic Orangery?

No.

Expletive Deleted

But heavy knights have no terrain bonuses. And it's not chivalry either, because I'm fighting with several transformed rogues.

No.
Been a while since I was using units that far back. But I just looked.
Cannons have the Dug In bonus to defense if the attacker is more than 2 spaces away. So it's not terrain, but does have a change if the unit is closing a distance.
Next battle, move the unit to an adjacent tile before the attack and see if the expected damage changes.

wolfhoundtoo

Cannons have the Dug In bonus to defense if the attacker is more than 2 spaces away. So it's not terrain, but does have a change if the unit is closing a distance.
Next battle, move the unit to an adjacent tile before the attack and see if the expected damage changes.

Heavy knights have an attack range of 1 so the dug in bonus won't impact the battle as the knights need to be right there. Cannons have a very low defense so combined with a 100% attack boost that is likely what is causing the 1 hit kill. Cannons have a defense score of 4 while the Heavy Knights have an attack score of 22 (and with a 100% attack boost) that means it's now 44.

Expletive Deleted

Heavy knights have an attack range of 1 so the dug in bonus won't impact the battle as the knights need to be right there. Cannons have a very low defense so combined with a 100% attack boost that is likely what is causing the 1 hit kill. Cannons have a defense score of 4 while the Heavy Knights have an attack score of 22 (and with a 100% attack boost) that means it's now 44.

That's what I mean.
If your heavy knight is a few spaces away and you see an expected attack of 7-8 that value is for a theoretical attack from it's current location. From which the Dug in bonus is active.
If you direct it to attack a unit from there; because of the attack range of 1 it will automatically move to an adjacent tile and therefore disabling the Dug in bonus and reverting the defense values to their base levels.

MOAGLEE

I am confused. The game is working in your favor and you are concerned… why?
Just out of curiosity.

That makes sense, thanks.