• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Experimental City Ideas

Rhyyss

I think the issue with only building from your menu will be population. Residence buidings will consume much of your landscape. If you allowed special event buildings you could control this. Without them you will need a lot of expansions...good luck getting those without an Arc.
Yep, running into this issue already in the Middle Ages. Soooo much of my town is just housing.

Nicholas002

spacecarrierinbronzeage update:
having trouble finding a goods seller.
nobody take you seriously when your city looks like this. lol

EDIT: I have now found a goods seller!

Last edited:

Aggressor

spacecarrierinbronzeage update:
having trouble finding a goods seller.
nobody take you seriously when your city looks like this. lol
Well, first of all with your city FP output, it will take forever to buy goods haha.
Also, do you have all of your prints already!!! That's fast!

Nicholas002

Well, first of all with your city FP output, it will take forever to buy goods haha.
Also, do you have all of your prints already!!! That's fast!
yes, it will take forever. I have 1 print, and with the next batch of free beta diamonds, i will be buying the rest:cool:

Rhyyss

Building only from the build menu is the most appealing 'challenge' type to me. It's kind of funny to think that would be considered a 'challenge' in today's version of FoE...shows how times have changed. I think the main appeal for me is based on a longing for seeing cities that reflect the age they're in beyond just the appearance of the Town Hall.
I'm doing the same on C-World. It's aesthetically pleasing, to have it age consistent.

Just An Observer

For me it would be building a Japanese themed city. Himeji would take some serious Diamonds but getting the sets plus the Feudal Japan settlement buildings would not be so onerous it seems. Second theme choice: Iron Age. I like the golden color of the buildings and the Roman Empire setting. Zeus can become Jupiter.

What about something where you would have to have things usually needed in a city? You would keep the school forever but add a library and academy in EMA. Religious people could have a stone circle or church, non religious would have this as extra space. Having different types of farms from different ages would be needed for a varied diet. The tavern could be replaced by a saloon in IA, houses and military would be improved whenever. Goods buildings could be replaced since trade is a thing. Pick a GB, can be any one, can have it as well as Obs since that is somewhat generic. Event buildings would be allowed but probably only one of each. To make it harder, group similar buildings together and have them in realistic locations, farms on the outskirts, schools near the housing district, factories in the industrial district, etc.

dA tRUE nOOB

how far along are you? And how is it effecting your choice of buildings given many events have boosts?
I'm in iron age, and I started after the most recent event, so yeah I don't have any event buildings right now. Fighting's a big no no for now until I can get HMA bucket heads
At least i'm in a good guild with the challenge city

A city that you can only build a GB when you reach that age. The GBs you build must be at level 10 before moving on to the next age.
I'm a noob on my first city. I started this strategy a little over a month ago, when I realized by reading the forum that I was moving up ages waaay too fast. Getting stuck because of a lack of goods was another hint, lol. So far, I like the feeling of having goods stacked and my GBs moving up and me taking my time so I can go comfortably into LMA. I do wonder, though, if it would still suit me if I were in a more active guild...

Rhyyss

RE: Doing a city from just the build menu -
This. So much this. It's why I like Cultural Settlements so much; when you finish and reach that prize, you little village looks consistent and really does have the appearance of the culture they represent, unlike the main city.

I think you just nailed the explanation as to why it's a challenge. Thank you. :)

So it's aesthetically pleasing, and works if you are going to camp in an age, but as a game, I'm finding it hella boring. I have a city in Cisgard I have been building this way, and cutting out so many of the interesting aspects of this amazing game, has not been super fun. I'm in the Late Middle Ages and may just close this one up.