• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fair Play in Attacking or a World for Planning and Negotiation?

Mightylor

I did some searching to see if an idea or ideas have been proposed and did not see any. I wanted to ask if there has been any discussion regarding this I may have missed. I am not creating a thread for opinions, but rather wanting to know if there are existing threads so I can follow them.

My husband and I recently started playing and are really enjoying the game. We realize attacking and plundering are part of the game, but he has experienced some attacks where attackers have upwards of 600% boosts and high defense boosts and are much more advanced in age. He has kept his military current and designated defenders, but this level of attack from more advanced players leaves no way to defend.

We're wondering if there has been any discussions about:
  1. Limitation on attacks to be a bit more equal, such as only being able to attack cities that are in the same age and at a relatively equal military and attack/defend boost status, similar to the equality (or close) level of the military one faces while attacking to control sectors with boosts being limited and more fair.
  2. Creation of world(s) designed for players who enjoy dedicating time (and purchase of diamonds and such) to the fun of growth planning and trading without the attack aspect, or where attacks are kept in PVP or against the game while conquering sectors.
  3. Options to commit space and creation of types of buildings (or participate in some effort) which makes a player exempt from attack if choosing to commit to the endeavor, giving players who enjoy the building, expanding, trading and comraderie a more feasible way to put a more definitive type of defending military in place.
Thanks!

Agent327

To start with, your husband is wrong. Attackers being much more advanced in age is not very likely. Hoods are based on players in the same age and change every 14 days. It can happen that a player moves on in age, while in the hood, but it is not something that happens all the time as your husband seems to suggest. He can be attacked by players using units from later ages, but that is available to all players, so nothing wrong there.

Discussions about:

1. Cities are basically in the same age and military differences have been discussed multiple times.
2. Also discussed and as an idea on the Do Not Suggest List, so not going to happen.
3. Again, discussed multiple times and most of the time met with the suggestion to start playing Sim City. You have plenty of tools to prevent plundering. Multiple threads on the subject available.

Sorry to sound harsh, not my intention to, but it beats me how you can not find any discussions on this when it is the most discussed subject on the forum

wolfhoundtoo

There have been various discussions of at least some of what you propose (although it's been a long time since I've seen one):

1) Numerous threads but from quite a long time ago from before the current version of the neighborhoods came about. You used to have a much broader range possibility than you do now. I'm sure there have been various threads started complaining about the imbalance (I remember a few but no names of threads that are slightly more current but ultimately they just discuss the advantages of camping or sitting in an age. If you want try and find a few try searching camping or something similar).

2) There was at least one thread where separate worlds were discussed but I was years ago (not sure it would still be kicking around the forum but if so it's a dead thread not likely to show up in the forum search or at least not in any of the early search results). The basic flaw as I recall was that all worlds use the same code across FOE and that it wouldn't be economically viable to have worlds with different code.

3) I don't recall any such discussion.

Algona

Two unsolicited recommendations:

Ask for advice on mitigating plundering if you don't find any threads on such.

Forget the word unfair. As you learn this game you'll come to the realization that what appears unfair is actually you not understanding some aspects of the game. Any time you do come across something you consider unfair, impossible, INNO cheating, ask about it because it will be you not understanding that aspect of this complex game.

Sure, you will run into players better then you, but that's because they've been playing longer then you.

With reasonable steps on your part, those players have almost no impact on your game play.

Good luck and when in doubt ask.

Johnny B. Goode

My husband and I recently started playing and are really enjoying the game. We realize attacking and plundering are part of the game, but he has experienced some attacks where attackers have upwards of 600% boosts and high defense boosts and are much more advanced in age. He has kept his military current and designated defenders, but this level of attack from more advanced players leaves no way to defend.
The short answer to this problem, repeated in many, many threads on this subject is this:
A) If the attacker does not plunder, there is absolutely no adverse effect on your city. Your defenders are healed/resurrected after each attack to full health.
B) If the attacker does plunder there are ways to mitigate or prevent it:
a) Set production times to when you know you will be online to collect immediately
b) Use buildings that cannot be plundered. Regular goods buildings can always be plundered. Buildings that are motivated (aided) by friends, neighbors, guild mates, or by you using a Self Aid Kit cannot be plundered. This includes residential, supply and various event/special buildings. Many advanced players rely on event/special buildings for goods. Great Buildings are also an excellent way to procure resources that cannot be plundered.
c) City Shield from the Friends Tavern can prevent attacks completely for as long as you can afford to use them. (Note that if a player attacks before you put up the City Shield, they can still plunder once within 24 hours.)
C) Bottom line is that unless you're in a neighborhood with a lot of attackers, this is more of an annoyance than a real stumbling block for your city. Find a good guild and they should be able to advise you on development steps to make your city successful despite any attackers. Or, ask specific questions here on the Forum. There are plenty of experienced players here ready, willing and able to answer pretty much anything you can ask about the game. Best of luck to you!

MJ Artisan of War

As one who attacks & plunders hoodies daily with great joy I can tell You that I would attack even if plundering were made impossible.
I attack for the pure fun of crushing Your puny defending/defenseless army.
The free goodies are merely a bonus and a way to goad You into whining...

Just An Observer

As one who attacks & plunders hoodies daily with great joy I can tell You that I would attack even if plundering were made impossible.
I attack for the pure fun of crushing Your puny defending/defenseless army.
The free goodies are merely a bonus and a way to goad You into whining...

Anyone is welcome to attack me! My city is plunderproof. Since I have rewards GB's meant to give me goodies for Aiding, I never do take the revenge route.

Dominator - X

I did some searching to see if an idea or ideas have been proposed and did not see any. I wanted to ask if there has been any discussion regarding this I may have missed. I am not creating a thread for opinions, but rather wanting to know if there are existing threads so I can follow them.

We're wondering if there has been any discussions about:
  1. Limitation on attacks to be a bit more equal, such as only being able to attack cities that are in the same age and at a relatively equal military and attack/defend boost status, similar to the equality (or close) level of the military one faces while attacking to control sectors with boosts being limited and more fair.
  2. Creation of world(s) designed for players who enjoy dedicating time (and purchase of diamonds and such) to the fun of growth planning and trading without the attack aspect, or where attacks are kept in PVP or against the game while conquering sectors.
  3. Options to commit space and creation of types of buildings (or participate in some effort) which makes a player exempt from attack if choosing to commit to the endeavor, giving players who enjoy the building, expanding, trading and comraderie a more feasible way to put a more definitive type of defending military in place.
Thanks!
Most of us have been in your husbands shoes, where we had to endure being bullied by more advanced players. The key is endurance. If he sticks with it long enough and builds his boosts high enough, and stays in an age long enough, he will be the bully. If fighting is not his thing, he will at least be able to repel most PvP attacks, in time. Not a fan of a separate world and I doubt it goes anywhere.

Once you figure out all aspects of the game, including defense of your cities, you will appreciate this game more.
I wish you and your husband well.

I think that almost all players that participate in FoE have experienced this, and I have experienced this a lot, especially in the iron age. But the key is to wait until you can progress to another age, then you become the plunderer.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Don't forget the Galata Tower great building. It works great for reducing plunders (and maybe ticking off your attacker when it repels a plunder attempt), and has a great goods production bonus which is the real reason people most build it, with plunder repel being a nice side benefit.

I, and many players, don't bother building any defense buildings or great buildings specifically for that purpose, because a dedicated attacker is almost always going to succeed in beating your defense, and putting up buildings for defense just takes away space that could be better used otherwise (usually for building up your attack bonuses or for making forge points). Some buildings give defense bonus as a side benefit, but I don't include that in my decision whether or not to build something.

If you do get plundered, what are you really losing? Maybe a couple of fp or some goods? In the grand scheme it doesn't make much difference, so I just don't worry about it on those occasions when it happens. In my case it is usually a Magnum Opus that gets plundered, and since that is set on an 8 hour timer, I almost never collect it right on time. Even if it gets plundered, it'll still provide me 2 more fp that day.

Mightylor

To start with, your husband is wrong. Attackers being much more advanced in age is not very likely. Hoods are based on players in the same age and change every 14 days. It can happen that a player moves on in age, while in the hood, but it is not something that happens all the time as your husband seems to suggest. He can be attacked by players using units from later ages, but that is available to all players, so nothing wrong there.

Discussions about:

1. Cities are basically in the same age and military differences have been discussed multiple times.
2. Also discussed and as an idea on the Do Not Suggest List, so not going to happen.
3. Again, discussed multiple times and most of the time met with the suggestion to start playing Sim City. You have plenty of tools to prevent plundering. Multiple threads on the subject available.

Sorry to sound harsh, not my intention to, but it beats me how you can not find any discussions on this when it is the most discussed subject on the forum

I would appreciate direction on where those discussions are. I'm new to this game and forum as of only a couple of months ago. In my cursory search, I was unable to locate them.

Mightylor

Most of us have been in your husbands shoes, where we had to endure being bullied by more advanced players. The key is endurance. If he sticks with it long enough and builds his boosts high enough, and stays in an age long enough, he will be the bully. If fighting is not his thing, he will at least be able to repel most PvP attacks, in time. Not a fan of a separate world and I doubt it goes anywhere.

Once you figure out all aspects of the game, including defense of your cities, you will appreciate this game more.
I wish you and your husband well.

Thanks for the kind reply, and bullied is the right term for sure. We still appreciate and enjoy the game, but since we're both new, just wondered if there were more options we didn't know about yet.

Mightylor

I think that almost all players that participate in FoE have experienced this, and I have experienced this a lot, especially in the iron age. But the key is to wait until you can progress to another age, then you become the plunderer.

Thanks! He just moved into the Colonial Age, and we're both hanging in there. :)

Mightylor

Don't forget the Galata Tower great building. It works great for reducing plunders (and maybe ticking off your attacker when it repels a plunder attempt), and has a great goods production bonus which is the real reason people most build it, with plunder repel being a nice side benefit.

I, and many players, don't bother building any defense buildings or great buildings specifically for that purpose, because a dedicated attacker is almost always going to succeed in beating your defense, and putting up buildings for defense just takes away space that could be better used otherwise (usually for building up your attack bonuses or for making forge points). Some buildings give defense bonus as a side benefit, but I don't include that in my decision whether or not to build something.

If you do get plundered, what are you really losing? Maybe a couple of fp or some goods? In the grand scheme it doesn't make much difference, so I just don't worry about it on those occasions when it happens. In my case it is usually a Magnum Opus that gets plundered, and since that is set on an 8 hour timer, I almost never collect it right on time. Even if it gets plundered, it'll still provide me 2 more fp that day.

I hadn't heard about the Galata Tower. Thanks for that.

I view it like your last paragraph, that it's not much to lose if it happens. This is all very helpful!

Agent327

I would appreciate direction on where those discussions are. I'm new to this game and forum as of only a couple of months ago. In my cursory search, I was unable to locate them.

Can only give direction if you tell how you search, cause I am hitting them in no time

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/why-does-inno-allow-unfair-pvp.40935/

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/is-city-defense-at-all-possible.38182/

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/how-to-stop-plunderers-from-takin’-yer-stuff.27267/

Thanks! He just moved into the Colonial Age, and we're both hanging in there. :)

You started playing recently and he is already in Colonial? You are making the mistake most new players do. You are rushing. This is not a game to rush.

RazorbackPirate

Thanks for the kind reply, and bullied is the right term for sure. We still appreciate and enjoy the game, but since we're both new, just wondered if there were more options we didn't know about yet.
To say you're being bullied is to imply you are being specifically targeted in some way. You're not being targeted, you've simply made yourself a target.

My city was over 2 years old by the time I got to Colonial Age. That put me #1 in my hood. When I need to attack the hood, I'd start at the bottom and work my way up until I fulfill the requirements of the quest. I suspect most players do the same thing. I have no idea who I'm attacking, I start at the bottom and work my way up.

If you're at the bottom of the hood, expect to be attacked simply because you're at the bottom of the hood. If you are at the bottom of the hood, who's fault is that? Who has the power to fix it?

Sounds like you're on your way, but will suffer a bit more until you work your way up the rankings in your hood. You've rushed the Tech Tree and are now paying the price. Don't age up until you've got a better ranking.

Kranyar the Mysterious

bullied is the right term for sure.
No, it isn't. Using that term is the problem.

Think of this comparison... If you were in a battlefield in CoD and people shoot you, would you call them bullies? This is actually a closer comparison than you might think at first glance, since this game was designed around a pvp core.

I agree with what Agent said, you are rushing the ages way too fast. The higher you go, the more established the players you will face will be, and the worse the situation for you. Stop aging up, and start building up your strength. The game will get much easier for you.

1 month 10 days to Colonial, only great building a level 9 Tower of Babel, and a total of 18 battles and 87k ranking points doesn't have you prepared for where you are. By your era you should have a decently leveled Statue of Zeus, Castel del Monte, and Cathedral of Aachen, as well as a few other great buildings like an Arc, Chateau Frontenac, Lighthouse of Alexandria, etc.

As a loose rule of thumb, you probably shouldn't be aging up unless you are consistently in the top 10 in your neighborhood week after week.

You are also sitting in a dead guild, since 26 out of 33 members haven't logged in in at least a week, most much longer. I'd consider leaving your guild and looking at a guild in the top 100 that has open joining enabled. You never want to stay in a guild that doesn't open up all 4 levels of GE every week.

If I were in your position, I'd consider abandoning your current world and starting a new city on another world. Then you could start over and learn from your mistakes, and you wouldn't lose much time or effort. Something to think about.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

If I were in your position, I'd consider abandoning your current world and starting a new city on another world. Then you could start over and learn from your mistakes, and you wouldn't lose much time or effort. Something to think about.
I think this is a very good suggestion. Given the details of your city, the amount of time it will take you sitting in Colonial Age to catch up with everything about Colonial Age is about the same time it should take you to start over and progress properly to Colonial Age. If you choose to stay with your existing cities, everything will be a long hard grind for a long time. It will be hard to dig yourself out of the hole you now find yourself in.

Starting over on the other hand will give you a much more enjoyable experience having a strong city as you progress through each age. It won't be such a grind. Give it some thought.