• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Fair Trades" Explanation?

planetofthehumans2

Obviously I get where 2 SA goods takes the same amount of coin/supply as 1 IA goods. But I'm in the upper ages now and things are starting to become more grey. Hell I'd argue that Modern and up are far worth 2 previous age goods just because modern uses an extra good to create it (CA). But the fair trade is more equivalent than that I believe, almost 1:1 something about coin/supply not mattering anymore. And actually I've never run into any problems with anyone calling me out on a 1:2 difference in age of goods before even with PME goods until today.

Does someone have a link to a more detailed post about why those exchanges were made the way they were? Or able to explain/quote it for me?

DeletedUser2145

A lot of folks are creating their higher-age trades based on the coin+supplies cost for the goods production.
BAIAEMAHMALMACAINAPEME
(2400+CA)
PME
(2800+INA)
CE
(3200 + PE)
Cost1002004008001600240032004000480060007200
BA value124816243240486072
So eventually instead of 2:1 folks go 1.5:1 , etc.

But if you ask me that's all nonsense since the only thing that decides if an offer is good or bad is whether or not someone takes it eventually. If you're in a guild, then you likely need to follow a certain trade ratio (decided by the guild, doesn't have to the ratios mentioned here) but that's just for the guild. With anyone else you decide how you want to trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

planetofthehumans2

My guild is free trade, so I was never really counciled on what most of the community considers "fair" between the ages. Even with the top players on our server they always took my 2:1 trades.

Mostly it just seems some of the numbering to the "official" fair trade numbers are a little arbitrary that I wanted some explanation on.

DeletedUser6172

The motive for like value trades is so that the local market will function more smoothly, with no need to worry about getting screwed every time you accept a trade. Trading like value for like value does NOT change the total value of your inventory.
http://www.wildgunner.co.uk/FoE/TradeCalc.php is an excellent tool for determining Like Value trades.

As the fixed building costs are pretty much linear with the per cycle cost of goods, and as the fixed costs become less and less of a factor once a building in producing goods, simply using coins (including the coins buried in the unrefined goods) is an appropriate and sufficient basis for establishing like value trades.

The important issue in NOT the actual ratios, but rather that everybody in the market uses the same ratios, for both trading up and trading down, so that you can prevent market manipulation. To the point, like value trades DO NOT change the overall value of your inventory.

We have a very small market with bottlenecks that are entirely predictable, so it's all too easy for a slick operator to buy up all of the local Coffee, for example, and then charge whatever the market will bear because he's the only supplier.
* Brass 32 gets him Coffee 16 (unfair 2:1 ratio) rather than
* Brass 24 gets him Coffee 16 (like value 3:2 ratio)

The essential notion is that fixed ratios PREVENT a slick operator from cornering the market and then jacking up the prices for everybody else in the market. Or - from screwing everybody other than his buddies, because he's the only local source of Coffee.

DeletedUser8420

http://www.wildgunner.co.uk/FoE/TradeCalc.php is an excellent tool for determining Like Value trades.

That trade calculator is crap
...especially for upper age goods. You not only have to use coin and supplies for production also another good which it self takes coins and goods in order for production to occur. The trades as given on that calculator does not take that into consideration therefore if you use the calculator you are being cheated in your trades.

DeletedUser6172

The coins for the unrefined goods are reflected in the prices.
If you review your 5th grade math, you'll then be able to understand the ratios.

DeletedUser3556

very basic math
... 2800 PME
+ 3200 Industrial
= 6000 coin/supp total for PME goods per 4 hours.

Which is exactly what the chart in the #2 post say's. Your math is also 800 coins/supplies off and the Row of Ages in the above chart is clearly too far to the left, something you also missed.

Just because you can trade at equal cost for goods between Post Modern and Industrial doesn't mean that your guild members or neighbors will do so. If your a player that always try's to trade up for goods in higher ages then yea your stuff might sit on trade block forever. If you don't like that make your own age appropriate goods and trade 1:1, or offer better rates than the calculator gives. Concept is not Hard

This post would make more sense if Cassaundrea post didnt get deleted.

DeletedUser8420

Well, not sure where you got your numbers but

for me to produce semi conductors Post modern era PME listed above is 4800

2800 coins/supplies
+3200 for 5 rubber (industrial age)
6000 coins/supplies

not 4800

Progressive age goods are 4000 coins/supplies for 5 which would mean the common era amounts on the calculator is off too

DeletedUser3556

Your math is bad, the calculator is fine. Edit / Delete your posts more to cover your mistakes.

DeletedUser8420

I tried to correct the first post but it wouldn't let me then I had to post and then delete which you read before I could correct it.
Anyhow.

As stated the cost in materials for combined production in PME is 6000 not 4800.

- - - Updated - - -

you wont admit your mistake in calculations.

- - - Updated - - -

calculator is bad for upper age goods

- - - Updated - - -

AS you stated again...PME is 6000 not 4800

DeletedUser3556

1. You don't know how to read the chart.
2. There is no mistake in my calculation, otherwise prove it.
3. Prove the calculator is bad for upper age goods.

DeletedUser8420

WHERE does the 4800 come from when cost of goods is 6000 in PME?
the chart says cost of PME IS 4800 IT IS NOT cost is 6000

DeletedUser3556

No the chart says 6000, your just not quick enough to realize that just because 4800 is below PME, doesn't mean 4800 is the cost of PME goods. Like I said You cant read the chart.

DeletedUser8420

agreed a person should pay attention to where things are when they put them up

DeletedUser2145

I apologize for how much trouble a small computer error has given you, I didn't go back and check it because the world usually doesn't depend on the work I do.

1. Everyone realized the error because if you just look at the table it's obvious BA needs to start one column to the right;
2. I quoted the table from elsewhere where it's just fine so the quote is what messed up the table;
3. This help was offered to another player so if you don't like it you can just walk by it or point out there's an error instead of putting it to the torch because you've read it wrong;
4. You claimed the calculator was wrong as well which is not correct, you based everything over a formatting error;
5. No need to be rude to the work others have done because you don't feel it's correct --- and you know, some of us can still read the posts you delete.

Do have a nice day, enjoy the game, and happy holidays!

DeletedUser2382

I've never liked the trade calculator and personally dislike set "fair trades" myself. I think its called a market for a reason and at some point supply & demand kicks in. Some stuff requires more real estate than others and so-called fair trade calculators make no account for this, nor the fact that such goods tend to be less attractive to produce thus more scarce as well.

The so called fair trade that takes only into account the coin/supply cost I've never liked. By these standards a packaging building is worth only 2x a paper mill.

The packaging building 3 ages above the paper mill and takes 7x4 grid space + a 2 lane road (basically 30 squares)

The paper mill is 3 ages lower, requires no road, is a good that's generally overproduced, and takes up only a 2x3 space. Basically you can fit 5-6 of these in the same real estate that one packaging takes up.

That the former is only worth 2x the latter doesn't seem "fair trade" to me. That's admittingly far more information than anyone asked for, but there are two simpler solutions:

1) Let the market decide. If people put up a crap trade, nobody takes it. Simple.

2) As always everyone always looks for the deal. Its no surprise players like trading 2-1 when trading down, but want it the other way around when they're trading up. Want a simple solution?
Ya know what I do and I think is fair? I just trade 1.5-1 when trading up and 1-1.5 trading down. One age, every age. I get an equal amount of complaints when I trade up as when I trade down. Haha. Which more than any stats & figures I put here leads me to believe that's the "fairest" approach.

DeletedUser9433

I apologize for how much trouble a small computer error has given you, I didn't go back and check it because the world usually doesn't depend on the work I do.

Do have a nice day, enjoy the game, and happy holidays!

That made me LOL. Thanks for perhaps my best chuckle of the year.
Jenny

DeletedUser2892

Any fair trade calculation is the Bogus.

There are limited expansions.
Building sizes are different.
As one moves through the Ages - their Houses produce more coins with the higher ages.

and this is the easy stuff to understand.

But what do I know - I am just a mathematician.

DeletedUser8861

I would agree, have never seen a "fair trade" calculator for this game yet that makes sense...:) There are too many other factors like two lane roads that are not factored into the equation...