• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Fair Trades" Explanation?

lemonwedgie

We generally trade 1 for 1 for adjacent Ages. But if a guildmate is in the Iron Age and wants a Arctic GB then yes, 100 Iron and ask for 100 Nanos would be picked up.

Our guild is not a group of players trying to take advantage of each other. We are a guild that does not want the need for a good to hamper progress.

Agreed - our guild works the same way, if a guildie needs it, no such thing as an unfair trade ... however to answer the OP, this is what I have on my guild forum
"FoE runs on a ‘free market’ … meaning there is no set trade rules other than the 2:1 ratio cap (regardless of age) however, it has become common place to use a "fair trade" system. But if there are no rules in place, how is it decided what is a fair trade? In a nutshell, Like Value for Like Value, trades that reflect the amount of coins, supplies and goods (from ME onwards) required for the production of resource. This ensures quick movement of goods, keeping a fluid market. Trades that do not reflect this tend to sit around clogging up the market. "

@sloppyjoe - yes, correct if we want to be literal but "Fair Trade" has become a turn of phrase in FoE ... as I tell my guildies, its whatever you deem acceptable but for open market we prefer to trade fairly ... i.e. not profit trade, not my cup of tea to give lesss and take more. But to each their own.

DeletedUser26965

but "Fair Trade" has become a turn of phrase in FoE
And that should change, really it should, people should just stop using it.

we prefer to trade fairly ... i.e. not profit trade
I agree everyone should set up whatever system they think is right for their guild and themselves but how does one determine a "profit trade"? Aren't all trades within 2:1 CA and above "profit"? What you're doing is the inverse here, instead of finding fairness you're trying to find "profit" and you then run into the same issues.

lemonwedgie

I agree everyone should set up whatever system they think is right for their guild and themselves but how does one determine a "profit trade"? Aren't all trades within 2:1 CA and above "profit"? What you're doing is the inverse here, instead of finding fairness you're trying to find "profit" and you then run into the same issues.

I think you are over thinking things and complicating things - that is exactly why some are overwhelmed with trading ... its not set in stone, there are no rules, but trading is easy and nobody should be intimidated by it ... be as fair as you can with a trade, use common sense. My guide above laid out perfectly well what is considered a fair trade within FoE and that is exactly what the OP needed to know.

DeletedUser26965

I think you are over thinking things and complicating things - that is exactly why some are overwhelmed with trading
Huh? This topic comes up often and somehow I'm "over thinking things and complicating things" and I'm overwhelming people in trade somehow? What? Why are you making this personal? I'm talking about trade not you, good grief. I said I agree "everyone should set up whatever system they think is right for their guild and themselves", I never said anything was set in stone. The fact is though clearly some do think it is set in stone or think it ought to be set in the "Fair" stone. You mentioned "i.e. not profit trade" and I was asking about that.

My guide above laid out perfectly well what is considered a fair trade within FoE and that is exactly what the OP needed to know.
The OP probably doesn't even play anymore and why do you think all he needs to know is only what you want to say?

lemonwedgie

Huh? This topic comes up often and somehow I'm "over thinking things and complicating things" and I'm overwhelming people in trade somehow? What? Why are you making this personal? I'm talking about trade not you, good grief. I said I agree "everyone should set up whatever system they think is right for their guild and themselves", I never said anything was set in stone. The fact is though clearly some do think it is set in stone or think it ought to be set in the "Fair" stone. You mentioned "i.e. not profit trade" and I was asking about that.

The OP probably doesn't even play anymore and why do you think all he needs to know is only what you want to say?

Oh wow ... I was NOT making it personal at all! Just making an observation. I think I shall step away from this one ... geez

DeletedUser26965

Oh wow ... I was NOT making it personal at all! Just making an observation. I think I shall step away from this one ... geez
Sry, maybe I misread you when you said
you are over thinking things and complicating things - that is exactly why some are overwhelmed with trading

I took that to mean I was over thinking things and complicating things when all I thought I was doing was discussing trade.

And I took "that is exactly why some are overwhelmed with trading" to mean my apparent "over thinking things and complicating things" was the cause.

Did you mean something else?

DeletedUser27096

And that should change, really it should, people should just stop using it.

Although, philosophically, if both people agree to a trade, no matter what the ratio or intent behind it, wouldn't it be fair (bc if the buyer didn't feel it was, he wouldn't take the trade)? Yes, there could be an emotional sense of unfairness but clearly it didn't prevent the buyer from taking the trade.

Now, let's all close our eyes and ponder the sound of one hand clapping. Namaste.

DeletedUser28129

"At the end of the day a fair trade is what you and the person you are trading with find acceptable."

Exactly! A fair trade is what ever you're willing to pay for something. If you take a trade then grumble about it, you have no one but yourself to blame. It's like the auction house on WoW. People always complaining about the price of things. Meh. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

I'm a true capitalist.

DeletedUser27096

"At the end of the day a fair trade is what you and the person you are trading with find acceptable."

Exactly! A fair trade is what ever you're willing to pay for something. If you take a trade then grumble about it, you have no one but yourself to blame. It's like the auction house on WoW. People always complaining about the price of things. Meh. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

I'm a true capitalist.
Me, too! Go economics!