• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fair Trading

• Thread starter DeletedUser10364
  • Start date

DeletedUser10364

So, I wonder, What is the purpose of fair trading? It seems rather like a player restraint more than anything. A way to keep a player in the mud at the beginning of the game where it is hard to trade the several items you have in your inventory. Isn't the purpose of free trade the idealism of an individual seller who has something that a buyer wants and therefore trades the item? If the player buying feels it is fair then you have fair trading. Why is it so important to the extent that a guild would even kick a player who feels that free trade is more important than (game fair trade). It is not forced on a buyer to buy any item in the game so why do guilds kick members that trade in the world market and not just a guild trade. If another player not in the guild wants to buy an item, what right does a guild have to regulate that player? I would dare anyone try to reason against the idea of a free market and free trade system that is fair to the buyer and seller.

DeletedUser10266

In a guild structure you use a fair trade system because you are in a guild to help each other. As such trading should be mutually beneficial and equal. Most fair trade guilds even state somewhere that if your trades are against guild rules they will kick you. If you want to make "unfair" trades outside of guild you should discuss that with the leaders of your guild so they do not kick you out. At the end of the day it is a game and guilds can pick and chose what rules they set and who they keep and get rid of.

DeletedUser10364

Why would guilds "want" to limit their players ability? It would seem a better system for a guild to have their players level as quickly as possible to be able to defend themselves against attackers. If the attacker from a neighborhood is always attacking lowbies, why would a guild want them to remain a lowbie?

DeletedUser

There are different ways to define "fair trade", some guilds define it differently than others. Because there can be so many definitions on "fair trade" (seen at least 3 different ones so far myself), whether it limits trading or not is impossible to say. Some definitions limit it more than the others.

DeletedUser10364

The limit is, if I need 10 more iron to advance to the next level of research, and no one is selling, so I offer a trade of ebony which I have abundance in, then someone who needs ebony but they have an abundance of iron, then we both win regardless of the amounts. He can advance and so can I. We both don't waste forge points where otherwise they would be spent on the next round of research.

The merchant is definitely not fair buying in a 10:1 ratio. If that type of thinking is being condoned by the devs, then it would be fair to buy and sell in any fashion, and a guild that promotes the idea of regulating trade is a guild no one should belong to.

DeletedUser6172

So, I wonder, What is the purpose of fair trading? ... I would dare anyone try to reason against the idea of a free market and free trade system that is fair to the buyer and seller.
The reason is nice and simple. If folks post Like Value for Like Value trades, then everybody can allocate workers as needed to adjust for any overages and shortages, and thereby balance the overall inventory, regardless of age.

The folks who are oblivious to Like Value for Like Value trades, or who can't handle 5th grade math, just gum up the Market and slow everybody down.

So long as everybody posts trades that reflect the number of coins that are required for the production of the goods, then the market remains quick and fluid, and individual inventories gain value based strictly on how many coins each individual is investing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10364

That is your opinion, but my opinion is more valid and a heck of a lot less time in the mud and more time above ground for defensive purposes as well as research & revenue advancement.

Again if the buyer and seller are happy, who is left to satisfy, a guild leader who enjoys watching his sheep struggling against the wolves?

DeletedUser11006

Most guilds insist on fair trading dont they. must be a reason for that. seems to work. Discipline and structure. Dont have to spend all your time checking to see if your losing out on a trade.

DeletedUser6172

Again if the buyer and seller are happy, who is left to satisfy, a guild leader who enjoys watching his sheep struggling against the wolves?
Nah - the main consideration is that you're gumming things up for all of your other friends and neighbors, who have to put up with all of the trash trades that just sit there and rot for several days, because clearing them would be a loss. So 80 + 80 +80 +140 = more than 300 people are effected, just because you're sloppy.

On the other hand, if you're sloppy in both directions, which is normally the case, then you're crippling your own progress because you're giving away the store.

DeletedUser10364

Most guilds insist on fair trading dont they. must be a reason for that. seems to work. Discipline and structure. Dont have to spend all your time checking to see if your losing out on a trade.

Well I see that there would be a competition of sorts for others who want to buy or sell if that is what you mean. But if you really look hard at your buying and selling market, there is not always the goods available to buy or sell when you need it. So in the end, you waste forgepoints until the proper time comes, and all the stars are in alignment, and the leaves blew west instead of east.

Now, if all the worlds were buying and selling in one market, there would be plenty for all in all areas and fair trade may make more sense.

Usually by the time a fair trade comes along, some evil dude has already come along with his buddies and have raided you several times, and your forge points have stayed at 10 all waiting until a fair trade of the good you need comes along. Sounds unreasonable to me. I would say your last sentence is far worst and as far as structure, well no structure can stand against some of these wolves. Discipline? Please...

- - - Updated - - -

...just because you're sloppy.

On the other hand, if you're sloppy in both directions, which is normally the case, then you're crippling your own progress because you're giving away the store.

You are crippling your own progress waiting. You see you have no idea what the next research materials are required until you open it, then you find out that the jewelry shop you just sold is needed again and you sold it for alot less than you have to purchase a new one again and the only goods you have left have to be sold at the so called "unfair" trade level. Now I am sure that someone has made a page that tells you what materials are needed for each research, but my house walls need more food shelves, than maps, compasses, and books of "Forge of Empires" Volumes 1 through 10,000 by Katwijk.

DeletedUser8428

Unless I'm missing something, you can always tell what research materials are required - mouse hover will tell you, you don't have to wait to open it. I know exactly what I'm going to need for the rest of the era I'm in and beyond ..... But what I don't understand is - if you've checked the guild profile and they're fair trade, why would you join them if you don't want to follow their rules? And if, for some reason, you didn't know they were fair trade and you don't like their rules, what's stopping you from quitting? "Yes, I want to join the Garden club but I'm not growing anything ". Why not look for a group that operates to your liking? Or start your own, for heaven's sake?

DeletedUser10364

Yeah I was invited by a guildmate in another guild who started another character. Apparently he wasn't the only voice in the guild, but I wasn't told that prior to joining that guild about fair trading or told to agree to their charter yadayada.
It's not about quitting btw, its about why would anyone hold a member down to the point of booting them from the guild? I was told in a letter from the fair trade god of their guild fair trade rules but I was not reading posts for 3 days and was booted and never read the post. Kinda like getting a tire fixed and on the way home from the shop your engine, transmission and other 3 tires fail mysteriously before you leave the lot.
Anyhow, my next 2 levels of research is dark until I actually reach it. How can you read yours? It gets lighter when it is available for research, not before. Am I missing something?

DeletedUser8428

Yes, they're dark but if you mouse hover over the ghost-busters symbol (circle with a slash) in each item, it will tell you exactly what goods are required to unlock. You can see everything all the way through post-modern. So even thought I'm in the first third of PE, I have a plan for completing because I know what I'm going to need. Good luck

DeletedUser6172

The negotiation requirements and defenders on the Provinces map ARE concealed, however, until you scout each province.

Beginning with the Modern Era, 4 of your 6 resources are defined by earlier eras, so it's feasible to wait until you've developed your military for that era, and THEN attack the provinces as pretty much the last thing that you do in that age, so that you can tune your combat skills for GvG.

The greater portion of your global rank comes from combat, so you're well advised to use Attack to clear your province sectors for the rank points in any case, and thereby get the medals that you'll need for affordable expansions, and simply for practicing your PvP skills.

DeletedUser

I have made two trades. Why does what I offered go down and what I was suppose to get not go up? How can someone steal in this game like that?

DeletedUser4074

I have made two trades. Why does what I offered go down and what I was suppose to get not go up? How can someone steal in this game like that?

If you are offering the trade, someone has to take it before what you're asking for goes up.

If you are taking the trade and not getting what you're supposed to, please contact support (right click on the game and select "Contact Support" and someone can help you figure out what's wrong.

DeletedUser6172

You've POSTED a trade, but nobody has taken it yet.
* When you post, your available quantity is reduced. If you delete the trade, you get it back.
* When somebody accepts your offer, then your offer quantity will be gone and your need quantity will be in your inventory.

DeletedUser

Also, in regards to "slowing yourself down".... why not trade excess in your guild for even amounts to help everyone? Even when you may not need that particular item.

Say you have 180 textiles and 0 whale oil. But have no need for oil atm.

Post up 20 textiles up for 20 whale oil a few times.... a someone needs it, they will take the trade, and you will have the supplies when you need them. Although this only really helps if you are in a active trading guild.... that usually have these types of rules.