• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Farming GvG for Medals: When Will The Silliness End?

DeletedUser26965

Thanks but no. They are farming for points, they even state in their guild descriptions they are, I fight them every single day and have for months with them doing the same thing multiple times a day, inno is aware they are and said it is "a completely acceptable practice".

DeletedUser26965

Maybe despite what you think because YOUR the one being attacked and can't stop it (as everyone who owns GVG sectors learns sooner or later) that you want it to be some kind of abuse
Good grief man, do you believe in square circles too? Okay, look if inno never went out of their way to call point farming abuse in the first place I wouldn't be here complaining about this crap. That's inno's word not mine "'farm' lots of ranking points..abused by players..." See? They said that not me. Then they go on and fix that GvG point farming, what they call abuse, and leave the other point farming I'm talking about and call it "a completely acceptable practice". That's a square circle. That's what I have an issue with. You can't in one instance tell me something is abuse then turn around and call it "a completely acceptable practice" and expect me to buy that.

DeletedUser26965

we just put 80 spearman. Tons of points for the attacker :p sooner or later they go and find someone else.
I'm quite aware of that as a viable strat, though it leaves you very weak defenses, but really not the point. Really, it's not even the attackers that are the issue here.

BruteForceAttack

I'm quite aware of that as a viable strat, though it leaves you very weak defenses, but really not the point. Really, it's not even the attackers that are the issue here.

Key is "Unintended Consequences", it all sounded ok when AA map was released and using of medals instead of goods...but as game progressed medals have hardly any value for higher age players. So AA map has become free for all use spearman for attack and farm all the LZ.

In anycase, Inno has given up on GVG, so it doesn't matter what players think, I guess they have numbers which probably indicates that they wont get much ROI on improving GVG.

Oh will it ever end.. NO

BruteForceAttack

One last thing...Point farming on other maps has for sure gone down..AA it remains due to medals and maybe spearman.

and to be fair, Inno said "Some" so maybe AA is not part of that "some"

ITown

Idk, I'm not finding the 8 unit siege cost too much of a hindrance. But I also only siege sectors with 5+ defending armies if I'm farming points on FE.

I also generally only do one siege per day max - which is plenty of time to sink into GvG

DeletedUser28263

GVG needs an overhaul and qualifying and/or become juried so only similar competitors compete which opens up GVG to more players whether they be "farmers" or not.

DeletedUser15855

I'm well aware of how annoying people hitting your guild sectors are to the owing guild (I've done it and had it done to my guild). That doesn't change the fact that the behavior you describe could be for some other reason that you describe:

1) Maybe you guys just kill them off so often they grab the power that they can.
2) Maybe they want to harass you. :)
3) Maybe they want to grab what power they can as cheaply as they can.
4) Maybe they are doing as you suggested: looking for battle points. of course that describes pretty much ALL of GVG.
5) Maybe they think they can run you out of medals.
6) Maybe despite what you think because YOUR the one being attacked and can't stop it (as everyone who owns GVG sectors learns sooner or later) that you want it to be some kind of abuse because quite frankly it costs you far more resources than it does your attacker. Welcome to GVG.

What specifically do you have a problem with? That they attack you every day? How is that abuse? Isn't that the point of GVG (to fight other guilds)? Are you complaining that landing should cost a lot more medals? Sure but then by that standard the rest of the medal cost would go higher as a result and you'd be spending a lot more than 40,000 medals to retake the sector. Are you complaining about the spear fighters? Make a proposal to change that then.....although I've seen posts about that before that went no where. What solution would you suggest? Banning players that attack too much? Complex rules that state you can only attack every 2 days (would that no longer be 'abuse')?

Let me summarize my post to one line: The behavior you describe mimics the normal actions of GVG and to modify that impacts the basic functions of GVG.

P.S. They can't point farm you if you drop the sectors. If you really want you can put spear fighters in for defense and they'll get few points. so if you are correct that it is only the points that they want they'll go elsewhere now won't they?)

Now, stop being intelligent and using logic to counter his original complaint. That's just not fair! ;)

DeletedUser26965

Now, stop being intelligent and using logic to counter his original complaint. That's just not fair! ;)
Too bad none of that had anything to do with my original complaint. People somehow can't comprehend the post is not about the guy point farming, but about inno and with their conflicting position on the matter.

wolfhoundtoo

Too bad none of that had anything to do with my original complaint. People somehow can't comprehend the post is not about the guy point farming, but about inno and with their conflicting position on the matter.

Oh I 'comprehended' your 1st post quite well. It's not a conflicting position as my post pointed out about how the behavior you want them to object to is the SAME BEHAVIOR of someone that actually participates in GVG normally.

DeletedUser26965

Oh I 'comprehended' your 1st post quite well. It's not a conflicting position as my post pointed out about how the behavior you want them to object to is the SAME BEHAVIOR of someone that actually participates in GVG normally.
Funny, I always thought the goal of GvG was "to expand your guild's territory and hold on to it, to level up your guild and gain bonuses and glory for all its members." And not "loopholes...to 'farm' lots of ranking points" but hey, I guess I just imagined all that huh?

ADM2010vet

So, I feel compelled to respond, as I am probably one of those people you complain about. I will OCCASIONALLY attack GvG simply to claim 1 hex, and then leave. Why? Several reasons:
1) I enjoy GvG, but I simply do not have the time to sit and watch the map to defend sectors.
2) I play in smaller guilds, so the number of members available to participate in sieges is limited.
3) I am trying to claim a few extra points for the guild.
What you see as a "farming" effort may be nothing more than a small guild trying to gain a toehold on the map. Or it may be a guild trying to get a few extra points that week. Finding the time to watch/defend/protect GvG territories is challenging, particularly for smaller guilds. I assume one of the reasons Inno permits this "Farming" (your phrase) is that they know that SOME of the players in SOME of the guilds will become hooked on GvG and expand their involvement (and investment) in the game.
I don't see this as a double standard or a loophole as you do. To prevent this activity closes GvG to most of the smaller guilds, reduces competition and reduces player interest/investment in the game...kind of counter productive if Inno wants to continue to build their business, right?

DeletedUser26965

I don't see this as a double standard or a loophole as you do.
First, I'm not complaining about a person farming points in GvG, I'm complaining about innos position on point framing in GvG.

So when they say they shut down one way to stop point farming in GvG and call it a loophole and call the other GvG point farming method perfectly acceptable you can't see a double standard there? Is point farming perfectly acceptable? If you answer yes then why did they stop it with changelog 1.79?

DeletedUser8152

It seems to me the official position must be that point farming is acceptable behavior, but they felt it was too easy previously. So they raised the cost (by reinstating the siege army cost) and they made it less convenient (by preventing release and recapture).

Even on the AA map, where the siege army cost is negligible, it is less convenient than it used to be. You used to be able to set a siege army of 8 champs, take the sector, and then battle the champs for points that you didn't have to pay for. Rinse and repeat as desired. Now you can siege a sector with spears, but if you want to get points after you have to put some champs in.

So of course now people "farm" other guilds' troops. But that's a different thing. For one it is under your (the target's) control: you can fight them off, you can avoid having LZ sectors, or you can garrison your LZ sectors with spears. For another, there is, as folks have pointed out, no operational difference between this type of farming and ordinary GvG play.

To address your question then, I don't think there was ever the intention that point farming was unacceptable per se. The loophole they wanted to close was that point farming was too easy and inexpensive.

DeletedUser26965

To address your question then, I don't think there was ever the intention that point farming was unacceptable per se. The loophole they wanted to close was that point farming was too easy and inexpensive.

Sheesh, well that's like saying a little rape is okay as long as we make it a little more difficult to do lol.

I read the intended purpose of things, here again is the stated purpose of GvG "to expand your guild's territory and hold on to it, to level up your guild and gain bonuses and glory for all its members." I don't see anything in their about it's also intended to be used for point farming. It's rather obvious to me the intent of GvG was just that, GvG, not can I find a way to exploit this system to boost my tower points. And that's just what they addressed in the changelog, "loopholes...to 'farm' lots of ranking points" people pumping up their battle point numbers which makes it an unfair system to those playing the game as intended and not getting those same battle points in a system never intended to do so. It's not the method that's the issue but the intent that matters.

but thank you for arguing the actual issue here.

DeletedUser8152

Sheesh, well that's like saying a little rape is okay as long as we make it a little more difficult to do lol.
Not really... we already have a notion that rape is a crime. Point farming is on it's face morally neutral. Whether and how it should be acceptable in the game is up to Inno.

Point farming gains bonuses (and glory, I guess) for participating members. And it does gain some power points for the guild overall.
I don't see anything in their about it's also intended to be used for point farming. It's rather obvious to me the intent of GvG was just that, GvG, not can I find a way to exploit this system to boost my tower points. And that's just what they addressed in the changelog, "loopholes...to 'farm' lots of ranking points" people pumping up their battle point numbers which makes it an unfair system to those playing the game as intended and not getting those same battle points in a system never intended to do so. It's not the method that's the issue but the intent that matters.
But at any rate, it seems pretty clear that your actual argument here is not so much that Inno is being inconsistent, as that you think point farming shouldn't be allowed at all. Which is an opinion you're welcome to have. But the only practical way I could see to achieve that goal is to disallow battle points from GvG to count for towers. Would you consider that an improvement?

DeletedUser26965

it seems pretty clear that your actual argument here is not so much that Inno is being inconsistent

Quite the contrary. Again why bother disrupting point farming in GvG at all if it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do? Why say point farming is "loopholes that were abused by players"? If you tell me something is a loophole and abuse then turn around and say it's perfectly acceptable that is nothing but inconsistent. If you say one method is perfectly acceptable but the other is not then you're saying rape is not okay but drugging the person then raping them is perfectly acceptable. The method by which I achieve the same end matters not. If inno had came out instead and said something like "We've heard your concerns on players using GvG solely for point farming to get ahead in the Towers, however this practice is a perfectly acceptable part of the game." I would never be here talking about it.

DeletedUser8152

Quite the contrary. Again why bother disrupting point farming in GvG at all if it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do? Why say point farming is "loopholes that were abused by players"? If you tell me something is a loophole and abuse then turn around and say it's perfectly acceptable that is nothing but inconsistent.
The loopholes were things that made it too easy. We're playing a game, the point of a game is to provide a challenge. Point farming was too easy, so they made it harder. That doesn't mean that point farming is a moral abomination, it means that it was too easy a way to get too many points.

If you say one method is perfectly acceptable but the other is not then you're saying rape is not okay but drugging the person then raping them is perfectly acceptable.
No I'm not, in any way.

The method by which I achieve the same end matters not.
That's untrue, both in the context of a game and of life in general.

If inno had came out instead and said something like "We've heard your concerns on players using GvG solely for point farming to get ahead in the Towers, however this practice is a perfectly acceptable part of the game." I would never be here talking about it.
Well, that is what they said, no?

DeletedUser26965

Well, that is what they said, no?
Sure, they called point farming GvG a "completely acceptable practice" after they called the purpose of GvG something else then went on to shut down methods to point farm.

I wasn't doing GvG pre 1.79 so I wonder what effect on the points it truly had. If I hazard to guess, a person seeking to point farm now would not see so much of a loss from losing one method since they still have the other. If that is true then really what was the point 1.79.