• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fast Era Leveling Discussion

DeletedUser26965

note: if you don't like this sort of play style that's okay but please be civil.

Purpose of thread
: To discuss various approaches, strategies, tips etc. to advancing through the ages as quickly as possible. Only exclusion being purchasing diamonds/packs and cheating of course.

Starting off simple for now, not looking to write a book here. I was thinking of this approach and wonder if anyone's tried it.

Goods focused, start with Dynamic Tower to trade down goods.
Then The Arc of course.
Obviously this will be highly dependent on a good variety of friends and guild-mates from different eras AF on down.

DeletedUser26965

Tip: Don't just accept any friend requests or invite just any ol' Joe. You want active traders, tavern sitters, and p/m'ers. Have either 140 friends or keep just under 80 to invite global traders.

DeletedUser26154

To discuss various approaches, strategies, tips etc. to advancing through the ages as quickly as possible. Only exclusion being purchasing diamonds/packs and cheating of course.

Starting off simple for now, not looking to write a book here. I was thinking of this approach and wonder if anyone's tried it.

Then The Arc of course.
You forgot Arctic Orangery and Seed Vault.

DeletedUser26965

You forgot Arctic Orangery and Seed Vault.
well, in a sense I "forgot" a lot of things as this is not an exhaustive guide to leveling. But I'm not sure where AO fits into a goods focused fast leveling approach. And SV % is just so low as to hardly justify the gains, imo anyway.

DeletedUser13838

And SV % is just so low as to hardly justify the gains, imo anyway.
If you aid 200 people per day (out of max of 300) then the SV at level 1 (2%) gives you on average 4 procs with about 20 refined goods about 1 time out of 3. So in that sense it gives more goods than any other level 1 gb. Plus other stuff.

DeletedUser26965

If you aid 200 people per day (out of max of 300) then the SV at level 1 (2%) gives you on average 4 procs with about 20 refined goods about 1 time out of 3. So in that sense it gives more goods than any other level 1 gb. Plus other stuff.
Okay but I'm not sure how any of that plays into a fast leveling discussion.

DeletedUser13838

Well some GBs are complementary (eg LOA/RAH) and I'd suugest that any GBs that give you goods when you aid are complementary and that includes DT and SV, both of which give you refined goods. SV over time gives more refined goods than any other GB up to reasonable levels, assuming you use it optimally (200+ aids/day) and IMO the key to fast leveling in higher ages (ME+) is to maximize your refined goods production without using goods buildings.

DeletedUser26579

Does this strategy rely on a guild pushing you up, or is there another way? Otherwise, it seems difficult to amass enough TOM/FUT goods to build those GBs. While it is theoretically possible to do so with only fair value or 2:1 trades, it would take a lot of low age resources to do so without getting favorable trades from your guild.

DeletedUser8152

As to the DT vs SV question: The SV generally gives you more goods of your age then you get from the DT. But the DT gives you high age goods, which is worth a lot more when you are low age yourself.

Of course, you need a lot of high age goods to get the DT in the first place. :)

DeletedUser26579

Does this strategy rely on a guild pushing you up, or is there another way? Otherwise, it seems difficult to amass enough TOM/FUT goods to build those GBs. While it is theoretically possible to do so with only fair value or 2:1 trades, it would take a lot of low age resources to do so without getting favorable trades from your guild.
(or friends giving you good trades or taking bad trades or anything else equivalent)

DeletedUser26154

Then The Arc of course.
Getting the goods and blue prints together for those two Magnificent Whoppers will take months, years, maybe decades of time. The lower your Era or Age, the harder this is to do. Many would-be Kings and Pretenders to the Thron burnt their mortal coils in failed but not feeble attempts at swimming the Ocean of 450 Purified Water, at outlasting the seemingly unending struggle for 500 Preservatives, at finding Hemp for the required 350 Packaging Deluxe Papercrete? While it's true it's best to aim for the stars, let us draw our bows and target ones in our system. To propose one in the Early Middle Age try to plant those quarter-of-a-floor-plan devouring gargantuan designs would require six months before their owners proudly declare "In the sticks!"

I recommend instead getting Zeus, Lighthouse of Alexandria, St. Marks Basilica, and Castel del Monte.

All seven of the timeless bonuses seen below are used early and forever. They never get old.

Statue of Zeus.png

Lighthouse of Alexandria.png

St. Mark's Basilica.png

cdm.png

Let's look at the benefits.
All are greatly needed.

Two Military boost.
Supply boost.
Coins boost.
Two goods production are important, and become more important for unrefined goods.
Tiny amount of daily Forge Points.

Tower of Babel is a nice 'extra' GB to put in that group, but I don't feel it's essential.

Tower of Babel.png

Start with these essential four, and if you have room for the fifth, go for it.

Simple goods requirements that can be gathered in a reasonable amount of time.
You don't want to go through personal ages and eras putting your city together.
You don't want to grow whiskers and grey hairs doing this stuff.
Once you reach advanced Eras, then you can start shopping for fantastic Great Buildings.
For the early times, best to stick with the basics.

For a simple explanation on unrefined goods:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/explaining-unrefined-goods.16176/#post-127288

DeletedUser26965

Presumably you would be selling FPs for them.
Both, actually. I'll ask for pity trades from the guild for one reason, because I know it's going back to the guild in some form or fashion and they know that. There's no shame in asking for help to get goods,fp's etc if in the end you're ultimately a good guildmate/friend. That being said, yes DT would be difficult to get the goods for if you just got into BA, have no fiends/guild etc. but no, it would not take months to get once you're in a guild, have your friends list and have Architecture complete. The harder part is in not actually getting the goods so much but balancing out the fp'd needed to get the prints vs. buying the goods.

Getting the goods and blue prints together for those two Magnificent Whoppers will take months, years, maybe decades of time. The lower your Era or Age, the harder this is to do.
While there may be a bit of facetiousness in that, it's simply not true. And while I agree those GB's you mention are nice again I fail to see how they play into the spirit of the thread. This is not a guide on GB's or how to play FoE, what a beginner should do or any of that. It's a discussion on fast leveling tips, strategies etc. The theoretical strat I started out with here for fast leveling is just that, theoretical, not is it better than Zeus, lol.

DeletedUser26965

Tip: In order to get the goods needed for an age above the age you are in, buy them from someone with your forge points, this is a critical strat for many playstyles but most important for fast leveling. If you are new to that concept follow the steps below.

1. Once you are able, immediately begin to build a friends list. (see tip)
2. Go directly for Smithery (tech) and join a large established guild with a large variety of different aged players from AF (or the most current highest age depending on when you're reading this) on down.
3. Go directly for Architecture (tech) so you can contribute to Great Buildings.
4. If you have done step one and have friends, neighbors or guildmates willing to sell goods then strike the best deal you can with them. Get the highest age goods you can for as little fp's as you can. (Though currently I wouldn't ask for anything higher than FE goods)
5. Now you have some high age goods. You can use them to trade down to get goods you need for tech, GB's, GE, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITown

The optimal approach depends on the age of the world you're playing in. If you join a new world like Xyr, and want to advance rapidly, do the following:
1. In bronze age, complete the BA/IA map ASAP. This can be done with spears and singers.
2. Once done, set up your city for maximum sustainable recurring questing. Your best option depends on your RL time commitments.
3. Fill every tech in BA and prefill the first 3 in IA before advancing. Once your FP bar fills up, advance to IA. Hopefully you have Zeus/Babel by then.
4. Advance to EMA immediately, spending coins and FP packs as needed. Research tanneries first.
5. Replace your city with tanneries and cottages, adding military as appropriate.
6. Do recurring quests with coins and tanneries, and advance to HMA as quickly as possible. Replace tanneries with alchemists, cottages with clapboards, then town houses. You should have Lighthouse by around the start of HMA.

That's about as far as I've gotten figured out.

I recommend every goods great building except V1.

DeletedUser26579

The optimal approach depends on the age of the world you're playing in. If you join a new world like Xyr, and want to advance rapidly, do the following:
1. In bronze age, complete the BA/IA map ASAP. This can be done with spears and singers.
2. Once done, set up your city for maximum sustainable recurring questing. Your best option depends on your RL time commitments.
3. Fill every tech in BA and prefill the first 3 in IA before advancing. Once your FP bar fills up, advance to IA. Hopefully you have Zeus/Babel by then.
4. Advance to EMA immediately, spending coins and FP packs as needed. Research tanneries first.
5. Replace your city with tanneries and cottages, adding military as appropriate.
6. Do recurring quests with coins and tanneries, and advance to HMA as quickly as possible. Replace tanneries with alchemists, cottages with clapboards, then town houses. You should have Lighthouse by around the start of HMA.

That's about as far as I've gotten figured out.

I recommend every goods great building except V1.
Why prefill without advancing? I was recently thinking about how there's not really any reason to do that anymore. The only negative of advancing an age once you have the bar filled is that GE is harder, and even that doesn't matter until you unlock GE.

The other negative was that you might be put in a tougher neighborhood, but now it's by FP spent in the tech tree, so clicking advance or not shouldn't matter to that -- you should be in the same split neighborhood either way. (Aside: It might technically make a small difference if a lot of people are doing the same thing, but it doesn't seem likely to matter.)

DeletedUser27889

Well I think it's important to state I don't agree with rushing through the levels, I think you leave a lot of the game behind, risk putting yourself or your game at a great disadvantage later and just having a harder time overall. I'm only pointing that out should any new comer to the game come upon this thread and think rushing is the most optimal thing to do. That being said if I was absolutely going to do it I would:

1. Guild hop immediately, possibly for hours or days collecting every BP I could. Also the added coin that early in the game makes a big difference.
2. Spend as much time as I could collecting 5 -15 min supplies to get a stockpile. When you have to delay because you need supplies not only is it annoying it's a delay.
3.Breeze through the optional quests, aborting ones that either make take too much time or force you to slow down. Get to the repeatable quests quickly and use them to your advantage during the era.
4. Build only the highest pop house available to you in that era. The others will just need to be replaced sooner and you will need to slow down.
5. If I had to do it fast I would focus on goods and good building well over military. I would build as many goods buildings as I could and army only so much to defend myself. I would negotiate my way through GE, if I played at all when my goal was to go fast. The reason being even if you unlocked all slots in a barracks you still have to wait for a troop to die before that barrack becomes usefull again. With goods you are constantly producing goods, no down time.
6. In events focus on good producing buildings and watchfires since I'm leaving military bare.
7. Skip over all the things in the tech tree you don't need at the moment, leave any expansions you don't need unresearched until you need them and I would skip over most of the military to focus on goods.
8. When you get a GB do swaps as always but use some of the coin you picked up guild hopping to buy FPs so you can continue to put FPs on your tech tree.
9. Rush through the continent map as quick as I could to unlock expansion and good deposits. I would either use my limited military while spending some of that guild hopping coin to infiltrate or negotiate.

If I was going to rush for whatever reason personally I would only rush up until Colonial Age and then stop, or at least slow down. CA is the first good you will need to refine later ( I made this mistake stopping in LMA to stockpile thinking I'd use them to refine later but that isn't the case) so collecting even more CA goods than just your tech tree/negotiation/GB needs would work out better for you later.
If you have done step one and have friends, neighbors or guildmates willing to sell goods then strike the best deal you can with them. Get the highest age goods you can for as little fp's as you can.
This part confuses me but maybe I'm just not understanding. I don't see how you would be able to have enough FP to use them to buy goods and level your own buildings in swaps without stopping on the tech tree? I think if you're trying to go fast stopping to buy goods would be counterintuitive to your goal.

Getting the goods and blue prints together for those two Magnificent Whoppers will take months, years, maybe decades of time. The lower your Era or Age, the harder this is to do. Many would-be Kings and Pretenders to the Thron burnt their mortal coils in failed but not feeble attempts at swimming the Ocean of 450 Purified Water, at outlasting the seemingly unending struggle for 500 Preservatives, at finding Hemp for the required 350 Packaging Deluxe Papercrete? While it's true it's best to aim for the stars, let us draw our bows and target ones in our system. To propose one in the Early Middle Age try to plant those quarter-of-a-floor-plan devouring gargantuan designs would require six months before their owners proudly declare "In the sticks!"
Haha well maybe I'm a bit biased here, I have DT & Inno and am about to start trading for arc. I'm LMA. I can tell you it doesn't take that long IF you find a good trading partner. My first, DT I didn't want to delete my entire friends list in order to add one person who is known for selling so I just messaged everyone in the guild and on my list who was Tomorrow or up and offered them a deal. Most were happy to sell me what they had but I was cobbling it together from bits and pieces instead of just driving straight through. It took me about 2 months. In the time I was waiting to find a new trade partner or waiting for a few of them who were making more to sell to me I focused on leveling other GBs. For inno I used DT to get about a third the goods in about 2 and a half weeks but was growing impatient and with the new hoods needed to delete people for trade anyway. I added one of my worlds better know sellers and I had it up about a week after. So it's certainly possible but I don't think it is if you're focusing on getting through tech as quick as possible.

I also lucked out and my current trading partner is allowing me to trade with my dailys instead of insisting I put all 550 or so on right away with packs. If I had to save up that many packs each time I wanted a new GB it would take much much longer. From buildings to the game clock I make about 50 FP a day, give or take taverns and WW luck, I have a regular GB swap partner I use between 5-15 points per day with, the rest all go to buying goods. So I really couldn't see fitting tech in there.