• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for our Announcements

Sharmon the Impaler

An icon on a comment that was passed up the chain for Inno’s attention. Many here feel that the comments are all but ignored and this would give the forum users feedback so they don’t think they are wasting their time giving you feedback. Where multiple comments state the same thing just flag the first instance of the comment.

Agent327

An icon on a comment that was passed up the chain for Inno’s attention. Many here feel that the comments are all but ignored and this would give the forum users feedback so they don’t think they are wasting their time giving you feedback. Where multiple comments state the same thing just flag the first instance of the comment.

That isn't part of the announcement, but part of the feedback and all those comments get passed up. Bit useless to mark them all..

UBERhelp1

For specifically update announcements, I would like to see a more transparent list of what is actually being updated. Several times we've gotten tweaks or fixes that never get mentioned. I can't remember off the top of my head an example, but it is pretty annoying.
----------------------------------------------
For event announcements, I think they are pretty well put together. However.... they aren't very consistent. It seems like the style of and what information is included changes constantly. For example, in the Wildlife Event announcement, it goes intro > mechanic > prize (with specs) > new daily specials > event hub addition > conclusion. And the whole thing is in [table] tags, which makes the background a different color but that's another story. But in the Fall Event announcement, it goes intro > mechanic (brief overview) > prize (without specs) > conclusion. Why don't we learn about the event hub addition for this event, or the specs for the grand prize? I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like for it to be more consistent stylistically and information-wise.

For example, maybe go introduction > mechanic > prize (with specs, since we like to see that) > new daily specials > event hub addition > conclusion, and keep the formatting of each one the same. The same kind of images and layout, the same awesome graphics. Give the players a reason to be excited for the new stuff coming out! This is where the devs and artists get to show us what they've been working on recently. Show it off a bit!
For features announcements, they are done the best out of all of them imo. They have cool graphics, they give us the info we need, and they show off new stuff. More of these please :)
And finally just general thoughts. I know a thing or two about formatting on this forum. I've been doing it for the past two+ years. The number one thing you can do to make everything cohesive is keep the formatting the same across everything. You want to put a table in an announcement with info? Try to put a similar table in similar announcements. Don't make players have to search for what they are looking for, lay it out as plainly as possible. However, don't dumb it down! We like to see specs, especially for event buildings. Give them to us!

Announcements are where you can cultivate interest and actual excitement in the game. A new update? Cool! Tell us what makes it special. A new event? Awesome! Show us why we should care. I'd like to point to the PvP Arena announcement. At the end, tell us what those rewards are! Hype us up for why we should want to play and literally invest in it.

But idk. At heart, I'm just a player, and those are my thoughts. Hope it helps :p

Kranyar the Mysterious

How about a list of bug fixes that the Developers have identified and are in the process of working on or plan to work on. No need for estimated dates or anything, it would just be nice to see if something is going to be worked on.

A list of player identified issues that it has been determined won't be worked on would also be equally nice.

Having those added to an announcement would add a ton of transparency.

Emberguard

Timezones. They can be confusing when what’s in the announcement is listing something that is not the server timezone.

This usually happens when announcing a anniversary thing or a day with specials. An example would be the announcement here: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/we-are-nine-years-old.41466/

What I would like for those instances where CEST is being used instead of server time, is a countdown timer inserted into the announcement for how long until it begins. This would take out the guess work

UBERhelp1

For specifically update announcements, I would like to see a more transparent list of what is actually being updated. Several times we've gotten tweaks or fixes that never get mentioned. I can't remember off the top of my head an example, but it is pretty annoying.
To build more off of this. Just for the most recent update, here's what I've noticed.
  • In Guild Battlegrounds, the symbol for "attack" has also been improved.
  • On the Browser version, global chat has been updated to look more similar to the Message Center
  • Fix a bug when negotiating where the "select resources" button would disappear when a successful attempt was made
There's 3 changes not mentioned that were noticed within literally one day of the update going live. Would it really hurt to give the players the info for what you're fixing? We want to be able to trust that when we look at an update log, we see everything that has been fixed. Obviously it doesn't have to be a crazy in-depth changelog, but when something changes, tell us?

Xenosaur

Yes, here's that word again - transparency.

We're your partners. This is a virtual symbiosis.

I'll echo (and add): A number of people are getting jaded about doing FoE client upgrades. I've never experienced that before here, and always previously looked forward to them much like Christmas morning: 1) to fix errors, and 2) improve the product. I always read the release notes to see what's new.

But for a while now when there is nothing I need or the fixes are unrelated to me, graphical or otherwise "fluffy", I've been holding out to update to the last minute - until my current client scolds me: You must upgrade to play FoE". That's not really where I or others are used to being with this game.

Why do I do that? Because I've learned that being an early upgrade adopter for RTM code here is painful, and shouldn't be. You guys change thngs and don't tell us. I don't like surprises. So I limit my risk. Second mouse gets the cheese, as they say.

That also means confidence is low that something I need is fixed, and something new that used to work, is newly broken or some new "what are they thinking" feature add has been slipped in as if this was a skunk-works project. Yes - even modal dialog boxes hiding game features to play... Way to many of them.

There seems to be a LOT of tinkering going on here ALL THE TIME, both in your client AND service. It's not transparent...

The service"disconnects us" too, to fix things, outside of the stated time for upgrades.

So yes, I'm all for working with you on giving you more feedback, if you become more open about what you're doing to move the game in a direction, or fix it.

Last edited: