• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the Mobile Video Ads

Johnny B. Goode

A couple of observations that are a bit annoying with the Aid-all feature.

When I click the aid all button for a group and it goes through the counter, it stops 1 short of the max, say 79/80 and just sits there. I have to close the box and open it again to get the collect box.

Also, whenever a blueprint is found, it doesn't indicate what building it was for.

I hope this helps if this is a bug or something overlooked.

Maia
You need to open a ticket with support in-game.

Ary Time Shifter

Ads should be A) visible enough that players know they exist as an option and B) subtle and nonintrusive enough that the players doesn't feel like they are having the advertising shoved down their throat. This rollout here in FoE has done a petty good job with this balance; it's clear some thought was put into the implementation ahead of time, which I appreciate. I do have a few comments in feedback, however. I've had the ads since they were first introduced for some players, so I've had some time to play with the feature.

Aid All. This is great. It adds a really nice feature option, it's easy enough to locate, and it doesn't pop up in your face demanding attention. No criticisms here, only a potential bug: I have noticed that the aid all doesn't play well with quests requiring mo/po, the quest counter goes all screwy while the aiding is occurring, jumping up and down randomly.

Tavern Boost. This is a nice little feature too. I think it will be especially useful to newer players who have their taverns less built up, but more developed players also might appreciate the little extra buff at times. However, unlike the aid all, this one DOES pop up in your face demanding attention. The tavern should default to the table screen as it always has, with the ad buff screen another tab you can click when you wants boosts, same as the main boosts tab. It is unnecessary and frustrating to have to click away from this screen every time you open your tavern. It's easy enough to find and use without it coming up by default; anyone who uses their tavern boosts normally will see it right away and know it is an option.

Treasure Incidents. This is the one I have a serious complaint with. The basic feature is nice, especially for newer players who could use the little extra rewards from these. BUT, these little purple treasure chests are so UGLY cluttering up the landscape all the time. They ruin the aesthetic of the cityscape. At the moment there are only two ways for a mobile player to get rid of them. A) watch all the ads or B) log into a computer and click them in the browser version. You want your players watching the ads because they are given positive motivation to do so (the tavern boosts, the treasure chest rewards, the time saved with the aid all button), not because they feel like they are being punished if they don't (with an eyesore, in this case), which leads to frustration and people eventually moving to other games. There are two simple ways that immediately come to mind to fix this problem.
1) Add a "No Thanks!" button next to the "Watch Ad" button that dismisses the incident. That way if you don't have time to watch the ads or don't want that reward you can get rid of the incident and have a clean landscape until your next round of incidents.
2) Make the "treasure" ads like the carriage for FoE plus or the winter event reindeer sleigh: a single treasure chest in a fixed location that you can click on and watch the ads available for you that round to get the rewards. When you've watched them all, clicking the the chest will give a message saying "no ads available at the moment, check back later" or something of this sort until the nest round of ads becomes available. This is my preferred solution, since it is far less intrusive aesthetically than the current batch of chests scattered across the landscape, and it fits with the existing system of fixed locations outside your city you can visit (such as the castle, tavern, settlement docks, and even the FoE plus carriage). However if you are determined to keep the treasure ads specifically as "incidents", solution 1 would still be an acceptable fix.

Medicine Lady

I absolutely hate the ads. I play forge with my kids and some of the ads are inappropriate for them. The ads are hard to ignore, take over the visual space. I like the graphic design of this game without those little purple trunks. I like the challenge of playing without purchasing diamonds but would be happy to pay a fee to not have ads.

Medicine Lady

Ads should be A) visible enough that players know they exist as an option and B) subtle and nonintrusive enough that the players doesn't feel like they are having the advertising shoved down their throat. This rollout here in FoE has done a petty good job with this balance; it's clear some thought was put into the implementation ahead of time, which I appreciate. I do have a few comments in feedback, however. I've had the ads since they were first introduced for some players, so I've had some time to play with the feature.

Aid All. This is great. It adds a really nice feature option, it's easy enough to locate, and it doesn't pop up in your face demanding attention. No criticisms here, only a potential bug: I have noticed that the aid all doesn't play well with quests requiring mo/po, the quest counter goes all screwy while the aiding is occurring, jumping up and down randomly.

Tavern Boost. This is a nice little feature too. I think it will be especially useful to newer players who have their taverns less built up, but more developed players also might appreciate the little extra buff at times. However, unlike the aid all, this one DOES pop up in your face demanding attention. The tavern should default to the table screen as it always has, with the ad buff screen another tab you can click when you wants boosts, same as the main boosts tab. It is unnecessary and frustrating to have to click away from this screen every time you open your tavern. It's easy enough to find and use without it coming up by default; anyone who uses their tavern boosts normally will see it right away and know it is an option.

Treasure Incidents. This is the one I have a serious complaint with. The basic feature is nice, especially for newer players who could use the little extra rewards from these. BUT, these little purple treasure chests are so UGLY cluttering up the landscape all the time. They ruin the aesthetic of the cityscape. At the moment there are only two ways for a mobile player to get rid of them. A) watch all the ads or B) log into a computer and click them in the browser version. You want your players watching the ads because they are given positive motivation to do so (the tavern boosts, the treasure chest rewards, the time saved with the aid all button), not because they feel like they are being punished if they don't (with an eyesore, in this case), which leads to frustration and people eventually moving to other games. There are two simple ways that immediately come to mind to fix this problem.
1) Add a "No Thanks!" button next to the "Watch Ad" button that dismisses the incident. That way if you don't have time to watch the ads or don't want that reward you can get rid of the incident and have a clean landscape until your next round of incidents.
2) Make the "treasure" ads like the carriage for FoE plus or the winter event reindeer sleigh: a single treasure chest in a fixed location that you can click on and watch the ads available for you that round to get the rewards. When you've watched them all, clicking the the chest will give a message saying "no ads available at the moment, check back later" or something of this sort until the nest round of ads becomes available. This is my preferred solution, since it is far less intrusive aesthetically than the current batch of chests scattered across the landscape, and it fits with the existing system of fixed locations outside your city you can visit (such as the castle, tavern, settlement docks, and even the FoE plus carriage). However if you are determined to keep the treasure ads specifically as "incidents", solution 1 would still be an acceptable fix.
that treasure incidents ruin the visual landscape

Right now I play on browser so I'm not seeing ads, but just how long is that going to last before you decide to take over the browsers as well? I assure you that there are many thousands of excellent ad-free games on the internet, and the first time that I see an ad on FoE will be the last time I see FoE. FoE is a cash cow -- it's obvious that you are already making $millions with it, and you have even exploded the obviously-lucrative events to where lots of people are simply tired of them -- let's call it "event fatigue". Why ruin FoE for so many of your players out of pure greed? Ads simply have no place in a game like this one.

Portia the Benevolent

I love this game but the amount of pointless horrible additions — the ads, that as someone says you can’t even open your tavern to your table— is just too much. Let’s not forget the stupid event hub! And the relentless events that just suck up time with ridiculously impossible odds. Now the nerfing of scamps. What I keep seeing is Inno does not listen to what people want. PenguinPat said he saw a long time ago that the game was coming to its end and all I can say is my guild is rampant with people who will be leaving the game. This is not idle talk. The messing up of scamps is the final straw. I simply don’t understand who is making these idiotic decisions. I’m already scoping out new games.

P C C

I would prefer to be able to abort the special quest to watch an ad instead of having it take space in my quests list, especially as I'm having an issue I've seen mentioned previously: When going through RQs I sometimes have to close the quest window and reopen it to get all the quests to show.

I also had the same issue described above where aid all on my friends hung showing one friend left to aid and I had to close and reopen it

Emberguard

Pay to win, now monetizing game on mobile, how long until ads begin appearing in browser based games, will a small diamond purchase on mobile get rid of ads?
Thing is they could only bring it to desktop if the Ads provider has Ads available for Desktop

I know a completely different company that uses Ads and has the Browser with the Ads feature visible, but there’s never any Ads available for browser no matter how often I check despite it being available for mobile on the exact same account.

Browser Ads either don’t exist at all for that type of provider, or if they do then in much shorter supply that would make it unreliable.

Ary Time Shifter

I would prefer to be able to abort the special quest to watch an ad instead of having it take space in my quests list, especially as I'm having an issue I've seen mentioned previously: When going through RQs I sometimes have to close the quest window and reopen it to get all the quests to show.

I also had the same issue described above where aid all on my friends hung showing one friend left to aid and I had to close and reopen it
This. Yes. I forgot about this ad feature in the breakdown I did. We totally should be allowed to abort it, at least temporarily.

Sharmon the Impaler

Anytime you access a variable outside of the routine you're in, a delay is introduced. Notice the way that when you get diamonds as a reward there is that 1 second delay then the reward pops up ? This is because diamonds are in the financial routines and is more protected that the other in game resources. Ads are polled and not in line and will do close to the same thing.

UP ONLINE

I thought we where just talking about the

Mobile Video Ads & rewords

UP ONLINE

I tried it on my iPhone APP nothing did not see anything new.
Did not stay on it too long phone was getting hot
just to see if i could watch it and if i could get a reword lol

Last edited:

Jinks5k

Thing is they could only bring it to desktop if the Ads provider has Ads available for Desktop

I know a completely different company that uses Ads and has the Browser with the Ads feature visible, but there’s never any Ads available for browser no matter how often I check despite it being available for mobile on the exact same account.

Browser Ads either don’t exist at all for that type of provider, or if they do then in much shorter supply that would make it unreliable.
there are ads all over the internet on browser, that's what they do track useage and target advertising, facebook and google for example. The ads on mobile are paying for cloud gaming so the phones can run more technologically demanding games and apps.

Emberguard

there are ads all over the internet on browser, that's what they do track useage and target advertising, facebook and google for example.
Yes, but are the browser ads on websites coming from the same pool as the ads for gaining rewards? Watching ads for rewards are often presented in a different format from the normal browser ads.

Terrible decision to bring in ADs to the game. If you are attempting to make players leave, attract less players overall, and lose all momentum you've retained so far with this game then continue with implementing ADs.

The main problem is ADs bring nothing positive into the game. As a game creator if you add any addition into a game after its been released it should only be a positive one. Ads only cause negative aspects to all the players, if your looking to retain the same amount of $$ from potential ADs then you need to start looking at what really makes a player spend money on this game.

Here's some great ideas to promote players to spend more $$$:

1) Be involved with the community, as you have been - if not more
2) Add in a new creative event(s): Limited time event, or a re-occurring Buy-in Event where you have to spend diamonds to enter, or Mini-events that cost diamonds and don't last long, or a Large annual event
3) Continue on increasing player competitiveness overall - GBG additions & improvements have been great for this
4) Add New features in the game backed by diamonds, you can use the community to voice opinions or hold a voting process before implementing
5) Rewarding guilds that have high ranking, a ladder based system ? Not sure on which rewards but depending on the rewards, it could really increase overall competitiveness of players, in turn promoting spending and/or purchasing diamonds
6) Limited-number rare profile Avatars (Ex:"only 200 of this specific avatar can purchased") Or a purchase-only profile avatar selection? ( basically make it more desirable for the players to get them or spend $$ for them)
7) Add in more incentives to purchase limited diamond packages, EX: "Buy this amount of diamonds and get this rare profile avatar, or Buy this amount and get an atk/def boost for a limited time.. etc etc."

Boiled down into 1 sentence... FOCUS ON HOW TO PROMOTE PLAYERS TO SPEND MORE $$$, do not bring ADs into the game.

Hate the ads. Ad free was one of the things I enjoyed about this game. The ads are one of the reasons I almost never play mobile and online games. Ive purchased diamonds in the past, and may again. If you want me to spend money in this game, make it worthwhile. Forge plus is too expensive for what it provides and the multiplying ads just suck up space and (if you hit one accidentally) time. Time is the thing I don’t have much of, so hitting an ad by accident is incredibly annoying. There is nothing on offer that is worth watching an ad. Period.

Cyrus the Adequate

Just to clarify for mobile users, the announcement says that:
"The other important point to note is that not all players will experience Ads. Indeed, players that have purchased regular in-game items since establishing their account, will not encounter Ads."
I just went to one of my cities on mobile and was able to use the Aid All button without viewing an ad, because I have purchased a few things (understatement alert) since I started playing. My advice would be to buy the cheapest item/package that Inno offers and your ads should go away.
The announcement may have said this (bolded), but it is not true.

I have purchased diamonds, yet I am still seeing the ads. This is why I asked the question in the other thread:

What is the diamond purchase threshhold for turning off the ads, and what is the timeline for them to re-start?

If you're not willing to share something basic to incentivize the purchases, you will lose paying players. I have already stopped using the mobile app; if the ads appear on the browser version without clear guidance, I'm out.