• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the New World - Dilmun

Sledgie

And Arcs are up less than 48 hours after world open. I'm still at least 12 hours away from researching Architecture. A little ridiculous how pay-to-win this has gotten. It was bad before but it's only gotten worse with the castle system and fp offers.
Took a couple of weeks on Carthage because Brute basically skipped FE and we had to wait for someone else to get to FE for Arc to drop

xivarmy

Took a couple of weeks on Carthage because Brute basically skipped FE and we had to wait for someone else to get to FE for Arc to drop
Carthage was still only 3 or 4 days iirc despite his efforts at first to be only-arc.

I'm a little surprised it's the same guild again doing the rush though - they're still active on Carthage. Or at least were up til the new world opening.

Bian Mian

My 6th city. I had to try to be once at the start
one day. Reached to stop on the first iron age quest. Got my fruit farm, my marble mine, 100 friends.

Check the city of the number one.
WHAT???
A castle so... huge! A forest of high tech GBs. A dozen of WW. That pirate hideout high leveled. And more and more.
Does that even make sense?

In a day, get what gonna take me a year of very intensive gameplay.

Menwhile he's gonna dispatch arc goods to his guild members and more.

So from today, i lost a piece of my motivation. Can't compete besides some very local challenge between friendly players.

The game is so unfair now if you don't pay.

xivarmy

My 6th city. I had to try to be once at the start
one day. Reached to stop on the first iron age quest. Got my fruit farm, my marble mine, 100 friends.

Check the city of the number one.
WHAT???
A castle so... huge! A forest of high tech GBs. A dozen of WW. That pirate hideout high leveled. And more and more.
Does that even make sense?

In a day, get what gonna take me a year of very intensive gameplay.

Menwhile he's gonna dispatch arc goods to his guild members and more.

So from today, i lost a piece of my motivation. Can't compete besides some very local challenge between friendly players.

The game is so unfair now if you don't pay.

There'll be more competition than that.

- No you can't catch #1 anytime soon.
- No you should not pretend to be interested in anything but the creative contests for the new world (which are primarily "how many diamonds will inno refund BRUTE?" ;))

But we're talking about like 2-3 guilds with such players here. Out of what will soon be hundreds of guilds. Pick your niche you want to compete in and get setup efficiently.

- If you want the early arc, you'll be able to buy sets off players. If not now, then soon.
- If you want to advance ages (if your ranking # is what you care about, this is the primary objective - just planting an arc may look good now but there's way more points in higher ages and buying goods and levelling an arc will slow you down), arc is not strictly necessary, and many that are dropping them now won't be wielding them efficiently for some time anyways. Focus on your engines to generate FP & goods. There's like 30 people in VF+ a year later on carthage I think. You can meet that pace without spending I believe (with hyper-efficient play).
- If you want to be a GBG powerhouse you have a few options: (1: high age units with hovers in PE or turturrets in industrial will enable you to fight to way higher attrition than most; 2: age-camping Arc & CF-wielding negotiator - iron age is the cheapest age to get a "perpetual motion machine" going (now limited by abort-count) - but LMA or TE are also good choices to aim for and can have lower abort counts per completion). A year from now (based on carthage), platinum will still mostly have guilds that have to ration their treasury spending (and even some of the diamond guilds). A guild that has a higher total attrition ceiling is more important to playing on your own terms than arcs still. And there'll only be like 2-3 diamond groups (it takes time to inflate the guild count and the rankings). GBG is actually pretty fun still on Carthage.

That said, I understand the discouragement. I've certainly shared in that feeling before. I chose my goals for the new world expecting this might happen even if I hoped it wouldn't be quite so fast.

I'll be making a blitz towards being one of those VF+ players in Dilmun a year from now, while building the world as an expeditioning diamond mine (I'm interested in the journey, not in making another world totally focused on power)

Bian Mian

Some years ago i played games where you could compete against players investing money. Mostly instead of money i invested time. A lot.
That seems impossible now in FoE.
So of course there is still a lot to explore but only like a tourist, not really like someone who can compete.
It's not only that you will never be near the top, it's that you have to beg your bps by advertsing yourself in the leading guilds, and that to reach some intermediate level far away from the ones who put the money and the quality of your play will be of so low interest.
That's so a sad discovery i made after investing like half year of playing intensively. Big frustration.

You ll just be a good tourist, nothing more.

So besides the obvious move to jump out of train, what can i consider?
Just try to reach as quick as possible higher ages, giving up any leadership in anything and be just happy to discover some more game mechanisms in the higher ages?
Not sure i ll keep enough motivation all the way. Or maybe i ll play FoE like a simcity, nevermind if takes me an infinite time to a mediocre but beautiful result.

Last edited:

DevaCat

Instead of dealing with systemic gaming issues we are given a new world (carrot) to extract yet more money from players to support an aging game. I get why invested players will dismiss any commentary contrary to their game view, that’s okay. If you’re still having fun go for it. But for some this is just yet another play to wring the last bit of profit out of an old cow. Something actually new in content or mechanics could actually spur spending on the game, but seems obvious the decision has been made to recycle what’s been done before.

Sledgie

Instead of dealing with systemic gaming issues we are given a new world (carrot) to extract yet more money from players to support an aging game. I get why invested players will dismiss any commentary contrary to their game view, that’s okay. If you’re still having fun go for it. But for some this is just yet another play to wring the last bit of profit out of an old cow. Something actually new in content or mechanics could actually spur spending on the game, but seems obvious the decision has been made to recycle what’s been done before.
I'd be willing to pay an early-access fee for a world on a separate server where buying diamonds wasn't unlocked until a year after world creation. At that point the access fee would be disabled. It would make for interesting dynamics if everyone had to start on the same footing.

Emberguard

I'd be willing to pay an early-access fee for a world on a separate server where buying diamonds wasn't unlocked until a year after world creation. At that point the access fee would be disabled. It would make for interesting dynamics if everyone had to start on the same footing.
As long as the world has its own separate diamond count. So you start with 250 for that world and can only gain more via playing

Otherwise disabling diamond buying wouldn’t do anything if you can just buy from another world instead

xivarmy

I'm afraid an access fee would make it a ghost town. F2P players are needed to keep the player volume up.

Even so, it would be a different experience - though I'm not sure what kind of access fee they could charge that I'd be willing to give it a go and yet have it be worth it for them to start a world without the usual diamond-extravaganza.

FluffyPhoenix

Another world existing almost solely to milk big spenders.

I want a unique world to play in. Give me one without GBs, one without events, or one without diamonds. Make something challenging and different. I want to see a world where people have to be more concerned about population or happiness because they don't have a massive cherry garden producing tens of thousands of happiness. I want a world where money isn't a factor and only our work (and some luck) get us further so we don't have day-1 Arcs.

Pericles the Lion

Another world existing almost solely to milk big spenders.

I want a unique world to play in. Give me one without GBs, one without events, or one without diamonds. Make something challenging and different. I want to see a world where people have to be more concerned about population or happiness because they don't have a massive cherry garden producing tens of thousands of happiness. I want a world where money isn't a factor and only our work (and some luck) get us further so we don't have day-1 Arcs.
Unless competing against players is important, what you want is available on every world now.

The Lady Redneck

So you want a company to cut off its means of generating income for an entire year. What would you consider an appropriate access fee should be to compensate the company for this loss of revenue?

Sharmon the Impaler

The would be a direct pay to play with no Diamond intermediary expense to shield Inno from consumer protection laws. This will never happen. As soon as you promise a service you must deliver on this service. As of right now they only have to make a data entry into your game account to meet this requirement.

Sledgie

As long as the world has its own separate diamond count. So you start with 250 for that world and can only gain more via playing

Otherwise disabling diamond buying wouldn’t do anything if you can just buy from another world instead
That's why they would need to create a new server where diamonds are not shared between worlds. Pretty much everything besides the access fee and diamond buying moratorium would be copy//paste from existing worlds in this scenario.

Sledgie

The would be a direct pay to play with no Diamond intermediary expense to shield Inno from consumer protection laws. This will never happen. As soon as you promise a service you must deliver on this service. As of right now they only have to make a data entry into your game account to meet this requirement.
This makes no sense. The "service" would be access to the world according to the advertised parameters of that world. Not sure why Inno would run afoul of consumer protection laws with a model like this.

xivarmy

Unless competing against players is important, what you want is available on every world now.
Even if you don't think you're competing with other players, how others play influences what's available to you. The kind of trades available, the amount of sniping going on, etc.

Furthermore if you wind up proud of how you did under the conditions, you might want bragging rights - while if it's self-imposed conditions, many will just go "but why?" ; or point out that leaving an avenue of play you used open cheapened the challenge. Or question whether you really did it at all (i.e. if you decide to show off a trek to Space Age using only build-menu buildings, noone can check after the fact that that's what you really did; or that you didn't just delete them after the fact).

It's not often a challenge condition gets enough of a community like tinytown did that you have people to share your accomplishment with.

Sledgie

So you want a company to cut off its means of generating income for an entire year. What would you consider an appropriate access fee should be to compensate the company for this loss of revenue?
It would take a bit of market research to determine the appropriate threshold. The access fee needs to be accessible to the average spender, but not so low that Inno is losing money.

xivarmy

It would take a bit of market research to determine the appropriate threshold. The access fee needs to be accessible to the average spender, but not so low that Inno is losing money.
One could say that should also be the price point for FoEplus. And yet that wound up way above what an average spender would consider for a monthly subscription of some rather minor perks.

They don't price anything for an average spender.