• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for Update 1.61

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser4770

We would like to hear what you have to say about Update 1.61. Please place your thoughts and comments here.

Thank you!
Your Forge of Empires Team

DeletedUser

Excited to see the message feature come to smartphones, however I have one potential issue with this:
We only have a single Inbox that serves as both - you can see a list of all your conversations with other players in there. Also all the separate conversations with specific players have been merged together

Just to clarify the also part- if you have 4 different threads with individuals they will all appear in the same window now?

If that's the case that could become very confusing. I have a lot of FP trade partners.. how will I know whom I sending the message to? Does this merge mean the messages arent private but now small group messages?

EDIT 10/7:
I see individual messages are not merged together, which is good. But their individual avatars are gone. After the 1st day of 1.61, the new system makes it very hard to navigate to the messages I need.
I want to log on and play Forge of Empires, and quickly go through a few messages with ease. I dont want to play 20 minutes of the 'inbox sorting and leaving conversations' (because that game isnt fun at all). Between my 4 inboxs on average there's 125 pages, whereas yesterday i had 3-10. There needs to be a better way.

My suggestions is: go back to the old way for now, and get immediately to the drawing board for a solution, at least for browser version. I think a foldered inbox with tabs at the top (recent/new, guild-wide, individual) would help. And when someone leaves a conversation, that message can contain the new info while remaining organized by date of last reply, the fact that it behaves like a new message (to top) needs to be fixed.

Also a potential bug, I left a guild on us9 right around the patch time and am still getting messages from them, as in brand new posts time-stamped after my departure.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanstrod

Despite multiple requests on Beta to provide a Delete feature, it appears that request has been ignored and players must use the Leave function if they want to delete a message. This has caused tremendous havoc and issues in our Beta guild and will be a disaster in production. Why do you have a beta site if the feedback is ignored?

DeletedUser8152

Despite multiple requests on Beta to provide a Delete feature, it appears that request has been ignored and players must use the Leave function if they want to delete a message. This has caused tremendous havoc and issues in our Beta guild and will be a disaster in production. Why do you have a beta site if the feedback is ignored?

What is the problem with the Leave feature? I haven't played with it on beta, it sounds from the announcement like it's pretty much the same as delete...

DeletedUser9184

Excited to see the message feature come to smartphones, however I have one potential issue with this:

Just to clarify the also part- if you have 4 different threads with individuals they will all appear in the same window now?

If that's the case that could become very confusing. I have a lot of FP trade partners.. how will I know whom I sending the message to? Does this merge mean the messages arent private but now small group messages?

I would like this matter cleared up, perhaps a short video or screenshot of that specific feature would make more sense than the description.
All messages concerning one person will be merged. For example, if I'm messaging Bob about our FP trades, then need to tell him something about my GB, the conversation will be merged together. (If I need to tell Joe about something, it will not be merged with Bob, it will still be separate :)) The problem that arises from this is that there is no way of putting a subject with on private messages now as sometimes you want to separate your chats from leadership talks ;)

What is the problem with the Leave feature? I haven't played with it on beta, it sounds from the announcement like it's pretty much the same as delete...
Leave is a permanent deletion. Currently, deleting a message is more like archiving it (and it'll show up again once someone replies to the conversation). If you leave a message, you will never see anymore replies to the message again. One of the thing people on beta wanted was to be able to do both, but that's not the main problem that everyone complained about: the big problem is that leaving a conversation notifies others the exact same way replying to a message works, so leaving an old conversation will not only notify everyone who hasn't left the conversation, it will also bring that message to the top, not being able to know that the message consist of nothing new.

DeletedUser8152

Leave is a permanent deletion. Currently, deleting a message is more like archiving it (and it'll show up again once someone replies to the conversation). If you leave a message, you will never see anymore replies to the message again. People on beta want to be able to do both, but that's not the main problem: the big problem is that leaving a conversation notifies others the exact same way replying to a message works, so leaving an old conversation will not only notify everyone who hasn't left the conversation, it will also bring that message to the top, not being able to know that the message consist of nothing new.
Thanks... the first issue doesn't seem so bad to me, but I can see how the second would be annoying.

vanstrod

ByeOrDie's explanation of the issue is excellent. Without a Delete function the only way to delete a message is to Leave it which spams the entire guild with the message you left the conversation. We had to set a policy in our guild never to leave a message (i.e. Don't delete messages). As a result our mailbox has a LOT of pages.

DeletedUser10076

Please do not bring this message system without fixing the issues brought up in beta...

So who wants to talk about reset time?

DeletedUser2355

omg, I can't believe that after all the feedback (19 pages) from users on BETA explaining how the new messaging system is not adequate and to a certain extant ineffectual Inno is plowing on and bringing it to the live servers anyway.

https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...hangelog-1-60-Part-2-The-New-Messaging-System

Where is the delete button that everyone is asking for. Prepare yourselves for pages upon pages of "left the conversation".

As for the "group info" list, this is where I hope to see those who are on and those who have left. Just dropping those who have left from the list is not going to really be very much help. It would make it necessary to audit the list every time a message is sent to ensure that the whole guild is receiving it.

Come on Inno ! Do any of you actually play the game? Have you ever run a guild?

1-Add a delete option. Removes message from your inbox but will come back if anything new is added. Much like it works now. This helps to manage our mail. Button should be right on the preview pane. Not hidden three clicks away.
2-Remove announcement of players leaving the convo from message dialog and place it in the "Group info" list area.
3-Fix contrast. Messages background is way too bright and text is barely visible.
4-Make messaging available to any player from any screen, except from battles of course.
5-I see that adding or removing players from a group message is already in the works. This should be limited to the creator of the message or the guild leader/s. Allowing for addition of new members or removal of players who have left the guild etc.
6-With this new system, trying to create a second 1:1 message is impossible. Click on mail box for any one player will take you to an existing convo. This is good and bad. There are times that a separate convo is necessary. Maybe adding a secondary and even a third sub convo would help.

These are just some of the issues, # 1 & # 2 being the most pressing imo

DeletedUser11609

Apparently 25 pages is the minimum for Inno to pay attention, beta didn't quite make it.

Inno after all the rage and anger over your band-aid fix to GvG, you step right up and do it again?
This is a half-finished fix to finally get messaging to mobile, which has been badly needed, but putting it out in such a manner isn't very impressive.

amg777

Not being a beta tester, I'll take a wait & see approach for the most part. One thing I would ask now. In my guilds we have neverending fp threads that can reach into the 100s of replies but you only need to see the most recent post. Looks like for such threads, the oldest (i.e. first) post will be on top and you will have to scroll down through all the others to see the newest post. Am I reading this right?

DeletedUser1771

The general feeling in our guild is that its the same messaging as was in beta....huge impending disaster....

DeletedUser9184

Not being a beta tester, I'll take a wait & see approach for the most part. One thing I would ask now. In my guilds we have neverending fp threads that can reach into the 100s of replies but you only need to see the most recent post. Looks like for such threads, the oldest (i.e. first) post will be on top and you will have to scroll down through all the others to see the newest post. Am I reading this right?
The first unread post should show up when you enter it, so if you haven't viewed the message for 100 replies, that's when you have to scroll all the way down (though clicking at the end of the scroll bar should do that like any website.

DeletedUser2355

Should be ok, it's just that the messages will be descending Oldest first, most recent at the bottom but messages do open to the last post. The main issue is that unless Inno has corrected this there will be interspersed in and between your messages. Mary has left the convo, Joe has left the convo etc etc. Very annoying.

iamtheemperor

I find it hilarious that this steaming pile of dung, which is supposedly cross-platform, has not been available for testing on the mobile version of beta. Wasn't mobile the reason for this in the first place?

DeletedUser17462

Are we ever going to see global/hood/guild chat added to mobile as well?

DeletedUser18087

ByeOrDie's explanation of the issue is excellent. Without a Delete function the only way to delete a message is to Leave it which spams the entire guild with the message you left the conversation. We had to set a policy in our guild never to leave a message (i.e. Don't delete messages). As a result our mailbox has a LOT of pages.

Our guild took a different approach - they took away all guild wide messaging capabilities. Interesting solution.

DeletedUser8944

I would like to see a delete thread and the leave thread together just to clear clutter in my mail but I think I may like the new system mostly because I can check it on my phone now

DeletedUser17555

I love almost everything about this update! The merging and lack of subject might be mildly annoying, but it will make for less messages in my mailbox. I love that the number will show up! As for the leave option, I love that it's finally available, I can't tell you how many people have complained about getting messages still from my guild when someone uses an old thread and they left the guild a week ago. I also love that I won't have to redo ALL of the guild's main messages because a new person has joined or someone has left. Can we remove someone from a thread? I hope?