• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feudal Japan Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

Super Catanian

I'm doing fine without the guide thanks. I'm a little surprised so many need it. Its not that hard.
Well, it's always a good idea to optimize your strategy. Most of those views are probably mine, since I am constantly analyzing it and finding small mistakes here and there, to the point where @UBERhelp1 said that I was practically his editor (hence the small signature change).

ODragon

Well, it's always a good idea to optimize your strategy. Most of those views are probably mine, since I am constantly analyzing it and finding small mistakes here and there, to the point where @UBERhelp1 said that I was practically his editor (hence the small signature change).

Maybe I will change my mind later but so far, I disagree with his initial premise that we should produce soy to buy expansions. My goal is to open the Merchant before my first expansion is bought.

I start with 4 huts + 2 Soy, after 4x4 or 2x8 collections (depending on when I start playing), I then remove 1 soy and go more huts, just for coins so I can keep making soy.

UBERhelp1

Maybe I will change my mind later but so far, I disagree with his initial premise that we should produce soy to buy expansions. My goal is to open the Merchant before my first expansion is bought.
Thanks for bringing that up, actually. I meant that you can buy expansions if you need them because of bad impediment placement. I just updated that section to make it a little clearer. :)

I start with 4 huts + 2 Soy, after 4x4 or 2x8 collections (depending on when I start playing), I then remove 1 soy and go more huts, just for coins so I can keep making soy.
I plan on adding a screenshot of that start layout soon, but I forgot when I started my most recent settlement, so it will be a bit.

ODragon

Thanks for bringing that up, actually. I meant that you can buy expansions if you need them because of bad impediment placement. I just updated that section to make it a little clearer. :)

Even with very bad impediments (my first two runs), I ran one soy until I got the market open. It only adds 8 hours essentially.

DeletedUser30312

I think having a standard strategy for the beginning and end of a settlement helps to do things efficiently. The middle part is where the most variables are, such as impediments and research costs and are harder to plan.

DeletedUser35550

The goods requirement are getting out of hand - 165 instruments to open the Dojo and 90 to open the Zen Garden - come on guys - even with the merchant I will time out and it's the first run through the Japan settlement- at least make it actually obtainable

Last edited by a moderator:

ODragon

The goods requirement are getting out of hand - 165 instruments to open the Dojo and 90 to open the Zen Garden - come on guys - even with the merchant I will time out and it's the first run through the Japan settlement- at least make it actually obtainable

This just means all the earlier stuff will be easier to obtain so you can open instrument shop early. What's the actual problem? Neither of those buildings really hold up the game.

DeletedUser40061

for me like any other event before this one, goes so slowly..unlike lucky people like super catanian. he knows how to do it and efficiently. iam only playing this event on one of my cities, the rest reverted back to VC

Vger

I will collect the last of the goods in the AM to finish my first Japan settlement. I ended up with a really odd city shape because impediments. It was 5 expansions wide by 2 deep. And not even a rectangle, more like a rhombus. Not optimal at all. Like @Orius Maximus I bought the expansion behind the Embassy early on without noticing the little impediment hidden behind it.

I also haven't read the guide yet, wanted to just wing it. So, I made a bunch of mistakes, and will still finish with about 3.5 days left on the clock. The merchant helped. A LOT. Seemed to have just the right things to trade at just the right time.

I only got 2 4X's, but both were on 8 hr. productions exactly when I most needed those goods.

Enjoyed this one a lot more than Vikings. There is a lot more room for error here. The merchant is awesome. Saved me many hours on productions. Could have finished sooner with the last offer from the merchant, but the cookies where already in the oven so I didn't see any need to buy more at a bake sale.

LOVED the art work. And the sound effects (which I don't usually even notice). Loved the variety of diplomacy buildings. So much better than ripping up pavement to build totems so you can tear them all down in an hour.

It probably isn't too big of a leap to take the merchant concept and apply it to fighting, since fight or negotiate is a common choice in FOE. Hope to see that in a future settlement.

TL;DR version: 2 thumbs up. More like this, please.

DeletedUser35550

This just means all the earlier stuff will be easier to obtain so you can open instrument shop early. What's the actual problem? Neither of those buildings really hold up the game.
when you have to come up with over 200 to unlock the last 2 items - I have 3 instrument shops and still will take 4 days

ODragon

when you have to come up with over 200 to unlock the last 2 items - I have 3 instrument shops and still will take 4 days

So put out a 4th and say a prayer for helpful merchant. I'm saying, its annoying but doable. Same way having over 100 of something to open anything is annoying.

Vger

they nerfed it ... AGAIN
What was nerfed?

It takes 895 goods to complete, right? Or has that number changed? Was it lower on beta? Was it lower on prod at some point?

The RNG will certainly change the distribution of what goods you need when. Personally, I would rather have the RNG demand a lot of end game goods rather than early game goods. You have more real estate and more coin production then. Should be easier.

DeletedUser40618

I’m on my 4th run already. The first 2 took a week and the 3rd took just over 6 days. Once the bonus goods really start kicking in, I expect it to take even less time to complete. The first 2 runs had 1-2 bonus goods at the end but the 3rd gave me bonus goods at least 5 times spread throughout the run. I’m at a 7.5% bonus chance now.

I’m using less expansions than I would with the Vikings because the buildings in Feudal Japan are more efficient. With 7 expansions added I can have 7 goods buildings going even with rocks blocking my preferred set up. Having a lower diplomacy requirement for the end and less advancements to unlock really help to speed it up too.

UBERhelp1

I also haven't read the guide yet, wanted to just wing it. So, I made a bunch of mistakes, and will still finish with about 3.5 days left on the clock. The merchant helped. A LOT. Seemed to have just the right things to trade at just the right time.
Honestly, probably the best strategy you can do, lol. Winging it helps you find what works best for you and ultimately will help you build more skill with the settlements.

Also, on my current settlement, I need nothing but soy and armor, and I have only gotten paintings and instruments from the merchant for the last 2-3 days. :confused:

ODragon

Also, on my current settlement, I need nothing but soy and armor, and I have only gotten paintings and instruments from the merchant for the last 2-3 days. :confused:
Enough to buy a bonus expansion? Or far enough along, you can set it so you can leave then and just negotiate 20 of the 40 good you nees for the last quest. It does work, I did it last go around.

UBERhelp1

Enough to buy a bonus expansion? Or far enough along, you can set it so you can leave then and just negotiate 20 of the 40 good you nees for the last quest. It does work, I did it last go around.
Sadly, I have only gotten the goods for *just* less than more expansions. And I'm on the second-to-last tech. So..... idk. I just put down some more armorers today. But it's the merchant that could really be useful right now. A few good offers of armor and soy would save me a lot of time.