• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fighting barbarians

DeletedUser27096

Hello all!

I just reached EMA in my new world and on the map, there is a province that uses all barbarians to fight. Not only do barbarians smell bad, they seem to be difficult to defeat. Do any of the more senior players have any advice on strategies and tactics to use when fighting barbarians? Or is it smarter just to negotiate rather than try to fight them?

Thanks!

DeletedUser25273

The Barbarians in the mountains are part of a bonus line, and are intended to be very difficult to beat. You can continue the main part of the continent and come back here a bit later if you want. One thing that makes them hard to defeat is that each one you kill makes the others stronger, so you really want to wound them all first, and only then start to kill them. You also really want a substantial boost to help overcome them, and maybe even the next eras troops if you want to wait that long. Negotiating is an option, but the price is higher than other areas.

At the end of the bonus area is a Monastery which adds a 25% boost (if I remember right) to your defensive army, useful, but not outstanding.

spnnr

ty for advice Richie, tbh didnt think about the wounding first and after being slaughtered a few times seemed negotiations might be the way to go.

DeletedUser27096

The Barbarians in the mountains are part of a bonus line, and are intended to be very difficult to beat. You can continue the main part of the continent and come back here a bit later if you want. One thing that makes them hard to defeat is that each one you kill makes the others stronger, so you really want to wound them all first, and only then start to kill them. You also really want a substantial boost to help overcome them, and maybe even the next eras troops if you want to wait that long. Negotiating is an option, but the price is higher than other areas.

At the end of the bonus area is a Monastery which adds a 25% boost (if I remember right) to your defensive army, useful, but not outstanding.
That's interesting about the monastery bc I negotiated with the barbarians in my other world (D) and never got a monastery. Are barbarians only in EMA or are they also in later ages?

DeletedUser25273

The monastery is at the very end of the bonus quest line, after you defeat the whole regions. If you have totally finished it and collected all the quests, you should have received it.

I don't remember 'Barbarians' themselves later, but there are other bonus areas using the same ability (for later age units), one is in Industrial. I don't remember it in the LMA bonus area, but I might have missed it.

Praetorius

A little trick I had when deal with barbarians was massing artillery. Namely catapults. Use the first round to hurt each one of them then pick them off starting with the ones closest. This strategy doesn't work quite as well the more slingers you're dealing with, but if there's 2 or fewer slingers catapults still work fine. In cases of larger numbers of slingers than axemen use mass fast units instead. Spend the first turn waiting for them to get close then hit each one of them and cripple their damage.