• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fighting in HMA with EMA units?

MOAGLEE

I'm finding it really hard to fight my way through the HMA continent map with EMA units. I only have a small attack boost (6% Zeus + the occasional spare attacker boosts, tavern etc.). I usually lose, and when I do win it's just barely, with serious losses.

I wonder if there's something I need to correct in my strategy or if HMA units are really that overpowered compared to EMA ones. From the stats I assumed the latter, but I've read people complaining about the HMA crossbowman not being much of an improvement over the archer (!), so I'm confused.

Last edited:

Aethelcatt VIII

I'm finding it really hard to fight my way through the HMA continent map with EMA units. I only have a small attack boost (6% Zeus + the occasional spare attacker boosts, tavern etc.). I usually lose, and when I do win it's just barely, with serious losses.

I wonder if there's something I need to correct in my strategy or if HMA units are really that overpowered compared to EMA ones. From the stats I assumed the latter, but I've read people complaining about the HMA crossbowman not being much of an improvement over the archer (!), so I'm confused.
Well, I'd say units from any era would be quite overpowering compared to those of the previous era, so you'll definitely need more than a 6% boost from your Zeus to be able to compete against the HMA units effectively. For example, the HMA heavy infantry has attack and defense ratings of 16 and 26, and that's 33% and 44% over those of your EMA armored infantry, respectively. So to even the playing field somewhat you'll probably want to get your Zeus up to Level 10. Even then it won't be a completely level playing field, but we can certainly outsmart the AI that controls the defense.

I don't think the EMA units are bad at all. I'm in HMA, but I still fight with my "leftover" EMA units from time to time to participate in the "tower" tournament of that era. The one unit that I don't have any more and really wish I had is the mounted archer. I really miss their combination of speed and range!

Last edited:

Ironrooster

I find that having A/D boosts of about 100% (or more) makes fighting up 1 level fairly easy without too much loss.
Watch out for defensive boosts. Since the higher level units have a higher base value, A/D boosts have more of an effect.

Aethelcatt VIII

I find that having A/D boosts of about 100% (or more) makes fighting up 1 level fairly easy without too much loss.
Watch out for defensive boosts. Since the higher level units have a higher base value, A/D boosts have more of an effect.
Yep...with A/D boosts of about 100% I feel quite comfortable taking on opponents on the continental map that are two ages up.