• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Finished Cultural Settlements

Algona

I posted earlier today some thoughts about finished Settlements and want to see if anyone else has any interest.

Now bear with me, it's an idea that's been buzzing around the back of my head for months and I have not been able to nail it down. This thread is more to guage interest and brainstorming and clarifying then a serious idea to change the game. If something seems to resonate with the community it can be formally Proposed later. If not, I can live with it.

Some folk, namely RP and a few others I've seen like to leave their Settlements as thriving communities. This strikes me as really neat, but aside from personal aesthetics and the sense of completing the job, there is no in game reason to do so.

I dunno about you, but my Settlements are a big pile of dooky when I finish. I'm surprised the Viklings haven't declared war on me for leaving their village looking like a disorganized salvage yard converted to a modern sculpture more then a functioning village.

I think there could be some more to Settlements rather then just a completed aspect of the game. We are tying to Forge Empires, why not somehow include Cultural Settlements as an aspect of that? Give finished Settlements an ongoing purpose in the game after we get Ygg and Emissaries? Some in game reason to leave a well designed Village as our legacy?

Does this make sense to any of you? Does it strike you as something you might enjoy if the ongoing presence of thriving Culural Settlements gave some tangible in game benefit or reward and made sense?

Could this be fun?

I suspect there are technical difficulties or changes that would be needed, any speculation on that?

What could the ongoing benefit / reward be? I've got a couple trivial ideas here, but I want to see what others suggest.

i do think that whatever benefits rewards come with Settlements scale according to he number of iterations completed and the number and variety of functioning buildings.

Anyway, bat it around, I look forward to your thoughts.

Falconwing

I made mine 'pretty' for a while before leaving if I had spare time, now they look like a forest of old oaks and a few scattered buildings. I've haven't finished a Mead Hall since the first time, now I start it, collect quest, and sell.
I think the Ygg Tree, Emissaries, and Rune Stones are reward enough. I can't fathom why we'd get more rewards just for leaving them 'pretty'.

DeletedUser37581

I think what bugs me is that the ending is so worthless (and I think that applies to both the previous final quest and the current final quest). I would have preferred to have each settlement take longer, but have a few additional quests at the end that would almost require the building of Clan House, Old Willow and Mead Hall. I don't mean build and delete, but build to completion in order to accomplish a goal.

For instance, maybe a quest that requires 1500 or even 1800 diplomacy - something unreasonable to accomplish with only Clan Totems. And maybe a quest to produce a lot copper. I don't know, but something where you almost have to build those last three buildings in order to have sufficient population/diplomacy to accomplish the quest. Not goods though - goods were needed to unlock the buildings.

DeletedUser

Leaving a functioning, prosperous settlement would make for a great ally. How about a support pool bonus boost? Or crowns?
Nice thought. Question: Would this be a one time shot of support pool or Guild Power Points (crowns)? Or an ongoing trickle? And would there have to be maintenance of the Viking Settlement to continue the trickle? How would that work with having to do repeated Viking Settlements? Could these one time or ongoing benefits only be available after the 15th Settlement is completed, and all 15 left fully functional?

This is an incredibly interesting concept, @Algona, and I appreciate you bringing this up. Even if nothing comes of it, friendly speculative discussions like this are really what the Forum should be like.

Nice thought. Question: Would this be a one time shot of support pool or Guild Power Points (crowns)? Or an ongoing trickle? And would there have to be maintenance of the Viking Settlement to continue the trickle? How would that work with having to do repeated Viking Settlements? Could these one time or ongoing benefits only be available after the 15th Settlement is completed, and all 15 left fully functional?

I would like to see an ongoing trickle. It can increase slightly with each settlement you complete this way, up to 15. No maintenance required. Just a daily collection.

Freshmeboy

I'm with you here on this..I always leave them desolate and without active buildings. OK, what about finished settlements giving you aid when being attacked in pvp..? The attacker would not know they were in hiding of course but it would be a surprise, more towr points and perhaps some defeats... You would need to help them after the battle, spend diamonds or have to solve quests to get them rolling and ready for the next attack....If not pvp then the continental map as a second wave...Might be cool to be down to your last troop when out of the sea rolls the Viking horde.."Hammer of the gods, we drive our ships to new lands...to fight the horde, sing and cry..Valhalla I am coming..."

Emberguard

The attacker would not know they were in hiding of course but it would be a surprise, more towr points and perhaps some defeats... You would need to help them after the battle, spend diamonds or have to solve quests to get them rolling and ready for the next attack

just a thought. Perhaps at the end of each finished settlement the buildings present at the time of collecting the rewards could determine whatever it is the added benefit or extra content could be.

Would be difficult to do much for the first 15 settlements without players complaining about unfairness. But perhaps something could be done for after a certain amount of settlements have been completed that goes beyond rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Another question is if we did work on hypothetically doing concept designs on what we'd like Vikings to do for after a settlement is done - would be we looking for it to be reward based or just something more to do based?

UBERhelp1

The problem is, what makes a settlement functional? Depending on that answer, they could still be set up in a rushed format that covers all the bases but still doesn't truly function.

Also, I would like to see some sort of trickle of Runestone Fragments, as I mentioned in another thread. I feel that would really tie in the emissary portion, every time they visit (monthly?) they bring gifts of fragments? But their settlements have to be functional to have those? Idk.

And, how would already completed settlements be dealt with?

I really like this idea :)

Agent327

I would not be interested. Actually I am glad when I can drop it never to return to it again. It is a tedious task and a boring repetition. Knowing there will be others just like this like the Egyptian and Japanese settlements in the future is even more reason to drop it like a brick.

What doesn't help either is that the Mars colony also is something like a settlement and it seems it is a path taken for the future ages on Mars. So now I am playing two extra games outside the game and I get bombarded with event after event. So no thank you. I am dropping Vikings and Mars as soon as I can.

DeletedUser

I would not be interested. Actually I am glad when I can drop it never to return to it again. It is a tedious task and a boring repetition. Knowing there will be others just like this like the Egyptian and Japanese settlements in the future is even more reason to drop it like a brick.

What doesn't help either is that the Mars colony also is something like a settlement and it seems it is a path taken for the future ages on Mars. So now I am playing two extra games outside the game and I get bombarded with event after event. So no thank you. I am dropping Vikings and Mars as soon as I can.
Even though I don't feel this way, I totally understand. One thing I've learned over the years playing this game is that there are wildly different attitudes towards the various aspects of this game, and another player isn't wrong simply because their perspective on game features doesn't match mine. Thanks for sharing a different viewpoint, Agent.

DeletedUser30312

Yeah, I just want to drop it when I'm done too. Part of it's bad timing by Inno, I wanted to cut back a bit on the game when they first rolled this out and it definitely conflicted with that. And we've just gone through a second big overhaul of the feature and I don't feel like relearning aspects of it again.

I mean I suppose we could have something like a score where the later buildings are worth more and possibly take into account how many expansion were unlocked and how much time was left on the clock when finished, but that would probably make me dislike things even more, especially since it would make the most irritating aspects of Settlement even worse.

DeletedUser40477

I feel like the change in the last quest addressed the "functional" issue to some extent.

I agree that in the last iteration of the quest my final settlement did resemble a "pile of dooky" with rows of clan totems and 4 unconnected production buildings as stick and bricks. I couldn't get out of their faster and happy to delete the fugly mess that I had created.

Now however with the new final quest you need to produce coins and 4 actual goods. Doesn't that make the final settlement "functional" at least?

Pretty is entirely different scenario. FOE moved away from that a long time ago unfortunately, as it's challenging to have a attractive city in the game that is also efficient. Decorations are considered poor form by some as they remove necessary motivations. I'd love to make a settlement that's both attractive and functional, however I feel that would lead to fixed positions of buildings. Like pre-built pads that needed to be unlocked.

The part of settlements I actually do enjoy is working around the impediments, and how each settlement is completely and utterly different from the last settlement. It's a spacial puzzle I enjoy.