• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

First Time Expeditioner, What AMAZING Luck I have!

• Thread starter DeletedUser37249
  • Start date

DeletedUser37249

So far I've made it about a quarter-way through difficulty 3.

I've spent almost my entire reserve of diamonds, units, and goods I have to get here, but it's been worth it. Every time I've gotten to the major battle/negotiation I've gotten the RAREST reward! 0.0000002 cents worth of diamonds!

What AMAZING luck I have! It's just quite ironic that only in these circumstances do I get the "rarest" reward, because for daily challenges and other expedition rewards I tend to get the most common item.

I'm so lucky! Who needs blueprints or forge points!

Pretty soon I'll be able to buy a single blueprint!

Emberguard

Congrats.... But a bit of advice here, don't use diamonds until you've built up your army attack GBs unless it's to get the last BP. And when you do, use them sparingly

You're not meant to complete GE first try.

Guild hop if you have to for speeding up BPs from aiding. Aid all your neighbours, friends and guildmates as often as you can.

If you're staying with your guild ask to swap into someone's Zeus so you can get BPs when it Lvls up.

The beginning of Lvl 3 is a great achievement for first try, but it's near the end of lvl 3 and throughout Lvl 4 where the main diamond rewards lay.

Most important of all: any and all games with a premium currency are never meant to be played primarily with the premium currency. You should always figure out how far you can get without premium before looking at what the premium would do for you as premium won't last long if spent recklessly. This will give you a better understanding of the game so you can decide where best to utilize premium when you buy or obtain it

Last edited:

DeletedUser37249

Thanks for the advice

I assumed everybody uses diamonds in the complex negotiations. Is that not the case? That's how I blew through my diamonds, and it's why I'm not happy with the trash reward of 25 diamonds as opposed to multiple blueprints or rare buildings.

I'm only in EMA and difficulty level 3 battles are out of the question for me at the moment, especially when they have 2 full armies.

But then again if I wait until I get to a later age, they'll have better units then as well, right? Is the only option simply Zeus, CdM, etc and/or negotiations?

DeletedUser36316

I complete GE level 4 on 2 worlds, and level 3 on 2 more. The first 2 pretty much only by negotiating. I spend diamonds occasionally, but overall I earn more diamonds from GE than I use. In general I do not advise using diamonds unless it's a very difficult negotiation and you are 100% sure to get the correct answer next round. Otherwise just give up and do the encounter again - the goods are less valuable than diamonds. The tavern boost extra turn is very useful for negotiating GE. Just make sure you wait until you have 8 attempts before you activate it. With it you should be able to complete most negotiations up to end of level 3 without having to spend diamonds.

But if you intend to fight at all, whether in GE, PvP/GvG or the continent map, the attack boosting great buildings are an absolute must. I am only in HMA myself, but from what I hear from more experienced players, in higher ages you will start running into attack/defense bonuses that will be very difficult to beat without those GBs, so you should try to level them to at least 10 as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

I assumed everybody uses diamonds in the complex negotiations. Is that not the case? That's how I blew through my diamonds, and it's why I'm not happy with the trash reward of 25 diamonds as opposed to multiple blueprints or rare buildings.

I only use diamonds for negotiations after
(1) I've activated the tavern boost for a 4th turn (I'd focus on fully upgrading your tavern before using the silver for anything that's not an event requirement)
(2) I know the answer is within 20 diamonds. Anything more and I'd rather quit the negotiation and start again. If I'm running low on goods then I'm not going to get much further in the GE anyway and it'd be worth leaving it there for the week unless I'm specifically on the encounter that's got a reasonable diamond reward (and can afford the diamond loss if I don't receive diamonds).
(3) I can't get any further fighting
(4) I would be more hesitant to use diamonds prior to lvl 3 unless I'm really confident I can beat at the very least the end of lvl 3 no problems, preferably lvl 4. Simply because once I'm at lvl 3 I know looking at the clock whether or not I'll be completing the GE far enough to recoup those diamonds. If it's any earlier then that then I risk not getting my investment back unless I can continue without spending any more until I reach lvl 4. Which if I'm spending too early would indicate I'd struggle to do so as I'd only be negotiating if troops failed.

Amount of Goods needed for negotiations: 200 of each current good if you want to break even for one weeks GE negotiating lvls 2-4. That's 10 goods buildings minimum. You'll also need stock of the previous age.

Fighting GBs
In EMA I have a lvl 6 Zeus and a lvl 10 CDM. That gets me to the beginning of Lvl 4 by fighting with only 2 or so negotiations if I can't quite get through certain combinations. I do use rogues with Heavies, but prior to that I was using normal troops and was losing just as much as when I switched over to rogues. The main difference is now I use a Alcatraz to generate my troops as much as any troop building.

Now the CDM is a Late Middle Age GB, two ages above yours. SO I would focus on getting a Zeus and Cathedral of Aachen up to lvl 10 unless you want to get advanced GBs (in which case use FPs to buy the goods from another player for building the GB, and make sure it's someone you trust will be honest. Someone inside your guild will be safer then outside your guild)

But then again if I wait until I get to a later age, they'll have better units then as well, right? Is the only option simply Zeus, CdM, etc and/or negotiations?
Yes. The further ahead in age you are, the better troops GE will present. If you wish to advance a age wait until GE starts, then unlock the tech in the new age. You can dump the FPs ready to unlock prior, just as long as you don't click the unlock button. The difficulty of GE is set when it starts. So this will give you one week to go through the new tech far enough to unlock current age troops while still fighting previous age troops. Of course all the rewards will still be previous age until the next week, but the difficulty will be what you're expecting while you prepare for something harder

My Industrial Age city has a lvl 9 Zeus, lvl 8 CDM and a lvl 2 CoA. I'm able to complete part way through lvl 2 just fighting with ordinary troops and only using rogues if I'm particularly short on something (no alcatraz, and 2 rogue hideouts, used to be 1 until a week or two ago). This is with 11% attack boost from event buildings as well. It'll be interesting to see how that changes once I get CoA up to match the other GBs, but even 3% attack boost can be enough to get through an additional encounter on auto battle.

Last edited:

DeletedUser35195

I assumed everybody uses diamonds in the complex negotiations. Is that not the case?

Tavern boost all the way! I HATE using diamonds for an extra turn, and thankfully I make enough goods I can negotiate 2-4 without it hurting at all.

That 4th turn to negotiate is worth 1500 tavern silver, 100%.

DeletedUser40495

Thanks for the advice

I'm only in EMA and difficulty level 3 battles are out of the question for me at the moment, especially when they have 2 full armies.

Only use diamonds in a very hard negotiation and if you know for sure that you can solve the negotiation on the next turn - or don’t use them at all.

DeletedUser39989

I made so many mistakes when 1st starting out. Two big mistakes I made in GE...
1. I didn’t know about the tavern extra turn option. Duh..enough said.
2. I spent all my diamonds for an extra tries on negotiating. Better off spending on expansions only. Duh again.
Sharing my mistakes to help newer players learn.