• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Fix Medals Proposal

• Thread starter DeletedUser31540
  • Start date

DeletedUser31540

The Medal System in forge of empires is broken and in need of an overhaul

Now i like how there are good ways and bad ways of getting various things done in this game but when it comes to medals the bad ways are so abysmal that it makes me question the design

So lets go over how one can earn medals:

First the good way:
Build an arc + contribute to GBs... the higher level and higher age and higher placement (1-5) the better

The bad ways constitute everything else:
-Winning PvP towers
-Victory towers
-GB collection
-production buildings
-GE / incidents / random rewards

Basically i believe there should be a way for players with no arc and who seldomly contribute to GBs to earn enough medals to finish the medal expansions (albeit at a much slower pace than the arc player)

I propose a x20 increase to all forms of medal earning other than GB rewards - and or Arc should stop providing medal bonus

To clarify - i like when FoE gives us different options of varying effectiveness yet all having some merit ... the medal system we have in place is not that

Instead its, hey you want medals? Well we will offer you 10 ways of earning them but only 1 way actually works

The game would be better if this aspect was in better balance

Last edited by a moderator:

Triopoly Champion

The real problem is that the players can build The Arc in the Iron Age as long as the higher era players are willing to offer the FE goods, then you don't need to do much of other things, just keep leveling that Arc up to 80, then start to power leveling other fp producing GBs. 1 only way to win this entire game.

Then why not just start everyone with The Arc in the mud(instead of Oracle of Delphi) if that's the only correct way to win. The Arc is no less important than the Town Hall currently. With a level 80 Arc in the Iron Age, you can easily fly through all the ages up to the Future Era if 50,000 fps are in the inventory.

Also I believe there should be at least 1 unique feature for every world, such as:

"No Plundering" in 1 world,
Be able to use diamonds to change the continent deposit bonus in another world,
Only allow to build GBs from your age or below in 1 world,
Place the initial 16x16 space to the lower-left corner instead of the default upper-right corner in 1 world.

Just reached the EMA region of my continent map in a minor world, but I already don't want to play it because I know it'll take the exact same strategy as my former Mount Killmore world to win. Although I have only 919 medals, but I just have to conquer that EMA province, then start to trade those for The Arc goods, Traz goods, Inno Tower goods, and so on -
Forge of Empires - Alabaster Continent Deposit.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser32824

I have 5million medals and all expansions in one world. In my wishing well world I've probably gained like 1000 medals in about 3 months of just farting around and doing the odd daily quest. Could definitely use more expansions on that world, but the thought of leveling another arc to 80 is daunting!

Algona

An aside on the Arc bogeyman here. Yes. Arc makes acquiring Medals Expanions ridiculously easier. How much time and effort did you spend getting that Arc, leveling it, and getting all the Medals Expansions? Weeks? Months? Years?

Then think about all the folk who are not as good as you are at utilizing Arc.

Maybe it issn't that easy after all?

----------

You forgot farming RQs.

I'm not sure how much Settlements pay out for other Eras, but I get 8000 Medals per completed Settlement, call it 500 Medals per day.

GE is wildly variable but not insignificant. CE GE pays out up to 7800(?) Medals per week. PvP is a lot harder to score a lot, but there is 6000+ Nedals per week in CE. Scoring a couple thousand is not difficult.

In my experimental world I'm in CE, working on my 200K Medal Expansion. Note I don't try hard on PvP Towers and I only do a half dozen RQs per day. Between RQs, GE, PvP, and Settlements I'm earning 12K+ Medals per week from those sources. I have no idea what else I'm getting from whatever random Event Buildings and Incidents are adding to the mix, we'll discount that.

Sure, leveling my Arc (good ol' Arc, warps everything it touches) is more then double that, but adding 25% to my weely totals is not insignificant.

----------

I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to try and get 2 Medals Expansions per Era.

In CE that means I should be working towards my 95K and 105K Medals Expansions. Before any GB Contribution Medals Rewards, I'm earning enough Medals to get those 2 Expansions in 16 weeks.

Is that an unreasonable amount of time for someone who doesn't apply maximum effort towards all available non GB Rewards methods?

----------

The game would be better if this aspect was in better balance

Why?

I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely confused on why Medals Expansions should be easier to get. Expansions, the most valuable resource in the game. Medal Expansions, the only Expansions not tied to Era. Wouldn't making Medals Expansions easier to get make low Era camping even more attractive? Are more low Era campers good for the game?

----------

I am curious about lower Eras as well as the Heavy Questers. How fast do you produce non-GB Rewards Medals? How does that amount compare to whatever the commensurate Medals Expanisons are for your Era?

Triopoly Champion

In CE that means I should be working towards my 95K and 105K Medals Expansions. Before any GB Contribution Medals Rewards, I'm earning enough Medals to get those 2 Expansions in 16 weeks.
I already unlocked both 95k and 105k medals expansions in my Mount Killmore Colonial city and my Arc is only at level 20, the part of game unbalance cause lots of Arc sniping while guild hopping, for the medal rewards, of course.

Emberguard

The Arc is no less important than the Town Hall currently. With a level 80 Arc in the Iron Age, you can easily fly through all the ages up to the Future Era if 50,000 fps are in the inventory.
You don't need 50,000 FPs to go through the tech tree. 28,143 is needed total to get to the end of Oceanic Future.

If you've completed Iron Age and only going to the start of Future era you need: 15,221 FPs

Snarko

I am curious about lower Eras as well as the Heavy Questers. How fast do you produce non-GB Rewards Medals? How does that amount compare to whatever the commensurate Medals Expanisons are for your Era?
Questing is the second best way to get medals in lower eras, after Arc boosted GB spots. I don't remember how many medal expansions I unlocked while in HMA with CF at level 5 but I do remember being on my way to catch up in medals to people in ME, PE and similar.
Then I built an Arc and suddenly quests produced tiny amounts of medals in comparison.

Emberguard

The bad ways constitute everything else:
-Winning PvP towers
-Victory towers
-GB collection
-production buildings
-GE / incidents / random rewards

Those ways are perfectly fine. It's meant to scale up through multiple methods relative to your progress in the game. Saying the Arc being a effective medal producer should bring everything else up is ridiculous when being a Future Era building is supposed to bring it above everything that comes before it. It'd be like saying because Himeji produces 200k supplies at lvl 10 that the Oracle of Delphi should as well.

The further along the tech tree you go the easier the medal expansions become from those very methods you've listed because the amounts increase greatly even without the Arc. I'm in modern era without a Arc and placed half of all medal expansions. It's not really a problem as that's proportionate to how far in the game I am.

Now once you get to Future era and beyond, then you might have an argument. But that doesn't mean everything needs a x20 increase prior to Future era. It could simply work the same way as unrefined goods. Reach a specific era and get double (or triple?) the medals from all sources excluding GB contribution rewards

Last edited:

Graviton

Saying the Arc being a effective medal producer should bring everything else up is ridiculous ...

^This.

I'm starting to see @Stephen Longshanks' point about the Arc warping the game. It's at least warping some thinking. Why restrict this argument to medals? The same logic applies to bumping up the FP production of everything else too.

Basically i believe there should be a way for players with no arc and who seldomly contribute to GBs to earn enough medals to finish the medal expansions ...

Why? Players who don't contribute to GBs to earn enough medals likely have no interest in getting expansions (nor levelling GBs) any faster.

It's also been mentioned over the years that one big aspect of this game is space management, which this proposal would make easier, in that you'd get your medal expansions earlier and with less effort.

Emberguard said:
Now once you get to Future era and beyond, then you might have an argument. But that doesn't mean everything needs a x20 increase prior to Future era. It could simply work the same way as unrefined goods. Reach a specific era and get double (or triple?) the medals from all sources excluding GB contribution rewards

I could go for something like that.

DeletedUser31540

@everyone who replied - thanks you all brought up some valid points

I really liked the idea of doubling or tripling non gb medal output upon reaching a certain age (modern maybe)

Part of my problem i think is my lack of knowledge beyond LMA - all i see are terrible new players producing 1 medal per hour from their magnus opus (i plundered 20 fp producing buildings last night and only got medals LoL)

To be fair i too remember producing medals with my rosarium when i first got it .... that phase lasted about two weeks until i realized how terrible of a decision this was ... i suppose these players will also eventually figure that out for themselves and move onto more productive means of medal acquisition

@Algona - you bring up a great point that making medals easier to get will further incentivize camping - Im not sure whether or not camping is good for the game but since ive been playing heavy camping has appeared to grow in popularity

All in all i am back tracking mostly on my stance (other than the point above) but i do think arc players get expansions too quickly and non arc players don’t really have a shot at unlocking all expansions

I guess the wonky medal system is just here to stay and is Just another part of what makes FoE a unique (+questionably designed game)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38090

I am curious about lower Eras as well as the Heavy Questers. How fast do you produce non-GB Rewards Medals?
Back when I was doing slinger RQs on J, I managed to get the 10, 50, and 200 medal expansions in Bronze in under a week of starting that town, which is eh, okay but not super great. Locking 5th on high-level GBs is definitely better for getting more medals.