• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] FoE Calc For MS Excel

Merciana

CR - Thank you for all your (and your guildmate's) time and effort in putting this together. I believe this will be most helpful in my continued game play, especially the GB Swoop Calculator! I'm constantly trying to determine the best time to post my FP contributions to secure that all too elusive BP, and have been disappointed several times by being "swooped" by another player (perhaps they too are using your calculators).

Have 2 questions:

In the directions, there were several references to "enter some value" (i.e. Topic filter Tech Tree: Status; #2 empty field, 3rd paragraph, 2nd sentence [see I DID read the directions : ) ]); does that mean I can enter any character in that cell? Are the formulas just set to look for any random character to make its calculation?

Finally, on the Tech Tree there are entries for the Diamond Expansions...how would I know if I have completed 1 or 2 of them? Example, rows 53 and 54 are both Diamond expansion at a cost of 200 D's, if I look at my build menu it shows a diamond expansion is available for a cost of 200 D's, how would I know if this was the first one (i.e. row 53) or the second one (i.e. row 54)?

Thanks again for your effort!

DeletedUser23444

In the directions, there were several references to "enter some value" (i.e. Topic filter Tech Tree: Status; #2 empty field, 3rd paragraph, 2nd sentence [see I DID read the directions : ) ]); does that mean I can enter any character in that cell? Are the formulas just set to look for any random character to make its calculation?

That sentence is referring to the cells on the Resources worksheet below each time period, which we use to tell the Resources Worksheet to include that specific time period in a resource projection or not. Yes those cells work with "any character".

• Empty cell = do not include a time period
  • Any character = include a time period
The same empty/any character logic is used in Deposit (D) column next to each good, where you note if you own that deposit or not. I like to practice defensive coding, which is where a programmer bounds checks for all different types of input in a cell or field and plans formulae accordingly to handle it. I personally use a lower case "x" in such fields but if you want to use smiley faces or any other character you desire, the formula is still going to work. The logic is programmed for "empty" or "not empty". And in case you are wondering a space is considered "not empty".

Finally, on the Tech Tree there are entries for the Diamond Expansions...how would I know if I have completed 1 or 2 of them? Example, rows 53 and 54 are both Diamond expansion at a cost of 200 D's, if I look at my build menu it shows a diamond expansion is available for a cost of 200 D's, how would I know if this was the first one (i.e. row 53) or the second one (i.e. row 54)?

Well, if you started playing FoE and had access to FoE Calc all along, then you would just mark "done" in the Status column on the Tech Tree worksheet any time that you completed anything, which could be: unlocking a technology, purchasing a Victory Expansion with medals, or purchasing a Diamond Expansion. Myself, I always kept track of how many expansions I had purchased before I developed FoE Calc.

In your specific case, since your next Diamond Expansion still costs 200Ds this means that you could not have purchased 2 Diamond Expansion at 200Ds, because the game only has 2 Diamond Expansions that cost 200Ds and your next one still costs 200 Ds. So at most, you have only purchased 1 Diamond Expansion. You should be able to remember if you purchased a Diamond Expansion or not.

The next two Diamond Expansions both cost 400 Ds. So the first time (in the game) that you see a Diamond Expansion price increase, you know for certain where along that list of expansions you are. You need to get into the habit of recording all of your in-game progress on the Tech Tree worksheet in a timely manner.

DeletedUser31521

I just want to come to Cosmic Raven's defense, because I don't think he should have to come to his own.

Easy mistake to make. After all, you did post in the FoE Forum under "Community" and "Guides". :rolleyes:

That wasn't meant to be snarky? I mean, c'mon, it was complete with an eye roll emoji at the end. Perhaps Elrinder and I are off on our interpretation, but you may want to consider how your posts will be read if you don't want them to be referred to as snarky (again only assuming here, sorry, but another post denying the snarkiness of the comment led me to believe this). I think it is possible many people will read the post as snarky, whether that was the intention or not. (BTW, I don't think snarky means inappropriate, I thought it was snarky in a funny way and enjoyed it. :) I was just confused by claiming it wasn't snarky.)

If this was posted in the wrong place, I might argue that the categories are what is at fault. I think this was the best place for it (even if it isn't a community project--more below), but let me know if there would have been a more appropriate forum/subforum. (I am genuinely asking here, I want to post some math about the likelihood of getting complete sets of BPs and don't know where to put it.)

However, I think the real issue is that this is in fact a community project and our definition of community project might be a bit off. Is a community project built by one person to accommodate the community? Or is a community project built by the community to accommodate the community?

Basically, I am just trying to say what Elrinder said so much more concisely. When someone puts forth a lot of effort and gives you an initial version (a great jumping off point) and makes a disclaimer that he isn't prepared to do more work, specifically in the form of converting to another format… perhaps instead of the next post telling him that until he remakes it from scratch it is only useful to some "which is the antithesis of any community project", we should start/attempt the conversion ourselves or encourage the community to make it more useful for the community. Would we rather not have something like this posted at all?

I am glad to have this here, port or no port. I also believe it makes it much more likely that a non-excel version will be made (seems more likely than it coming from nowhere). I am not planning on diving into this at the moment, but will keep it in mind for later and really like the idea. If I do jump in, there is a good chance I will try to port some of the basic functionality to Google Sheets (we'll see how that goes!), not because I dislike Excel, but I work on a few different devices and Sheets is easier/possible to access from all of them.

Anyway, thanks Cosmic Raven!

(And sorry for the debate, if you guys disagree with me I actually would like to discuss. Maybe there is a more appropriate place than usurping Cosmic Raven's thread?)

DeletedUser

I just want to come to Cosmic Raven's defense, because I don't think he should have to come to his own.

That wasn't meant to be snarky? I mean, c'mon, it was complete with an eye roll emoji at the end. Perhaps Elrinder and I are off on our interpretation, but you may want to consider how your posts will be read if you don't want them to be referred to as snarky (again only assuming here, sorry, but another post denying the snarkiness of the comment led me to believe this). I think it is possible many people will read the post as snarky, whether that was the intention or not. (BTW, I don't think snarky means inappropriate, I thought it was snarky in a funny way and enjoyed it. :) I was just confused by claiming it wasn't snarky.)

If this was posted in the wrong place, I might argue that the categories are what is at fault. I think this was the best place for it (even if it isn't a community project--more below), but let me know if there would have been a more appropriate forum/subforum. (I am genuinely asking here, I want to post some math about the likelihood of getting complete sets of BPs and don't know where to put it.)

However, I think the real issue is that this is in fact a community project and our definition of community project might be a bit off. Is a community project built by one person to accommodate the community? Or is a community project built by the community to accommodate the community?

Basically, I am just trying to say what Elrinder said so much more concisely. When someone puts forth a lot of effort and gives you an initial version (a great jumping off point) and makes a disclaimer that he isn't prepared to do more work, specifically in the form of converting to another format… perhaps instead of the next post telling him that until he remakes it from scratch it is only useful to some "which is the antithesis of any community project", we should start/attempt the conversion ourselves or encourage the community to make it more useful for the community. Would we rather not have something like this posted at all?

I am glad to have this here, port or no port. I also believe it makes it much more likely that a non-excel version will be made (seems more likely than it coming from nowhere). I am not planning on diving into this at the moment, but will keep it in mind for later and really like the idea. If I do jump in, there is a good chance I will try to port some of the basic functionality to Google Sheets (we'll see how that goes!), not because I dislike Excel, but I work on a few different devices and Sheets is easier/possible to access from all of them.

Anyway, thanks Cosmic Raven!

(And sorry for the debate, if you guys disagree with me I actually would like to discuss. Maybe there is a more appropriate place than usurping Cosmic Raven's thread?)
Wow! I believe this is called Necroing, isn't it? Reviving a long dead thread. I had to go back and refresh my memory of what I said 6 months ago. And I don't really care if you think I was snarky both times, that's fine with me. Cosmic Raven was very full of himself and had no patience with anyone that disagreed with him, or suggested he do things differently. And I don't think you can consider this CR's thread anymore, since he's been MIA since shortly after he started it.:rolleyes:

DeletedUser31521

Haha, not sure what constitutes the exact time frame for necroing, probably different for different forums, but feel it is pretty safe to call it such at 5 and half months. :) Sorry, just read it and felt pretty passionate (as I'm sure you could tell) about what I felt was a rude response to CR. But, I am new, so definitely fair to say I don't have the full picture of the whole story yet.

DeletedUser

Haha, not sure what constitutes the exact time frame for necroing, probably different for different forums, but feel it is pretty safe to call it such at 5 and half months. :) Sorry, just read it and felt pretty passionate (as I'm sure you could tell) about what I felt was a rude response to CR. But, I am new, so definitely fair to say I don't have the full picture of the whole story yet.
It could certainly be construed as rude, and that might well have been my intention. By the time of this thread, he and I had already had a few..."exchanges", shall we say? I had no use for his arrogance, and his response to Dursland's post was rude and uncalled for, besides being a denial of plain facts. So, my first post was not worded with the utmost respect. And my other post "denying" that the first one was snarky was more like "you think that was snarky, how's this?"

DeletedUser31521

It could certainly be construed as rude, and that might well have been my intention. By the time of this thread, he and I had already had a few..."exchanges", shall we say? I had no use for his arrogance, and his response to Dursland's post was rude and uncalled for, besides being a denial of plain facts. So, my first post was not worded with the utmost respect. And my other post "denying" that the first one was snarky was more like "you think that was snarky, how's this?"

Totally fair.

DeletedUser32702

Thanks for all the work that you have done. I am not that familiar with Excel. Is there a way to select the rows where the status is blank and there is a specific resource in any of the 3 resource columns. The idea is to figure out how much I will need of that resource in the future. It will help a lot in structuring my trades.

Thanks

DeletedUser31440

Thanks for all the work that you have done. I am not that familiar with Excel. Is there a way to select the rows where the status is blank and there is a specific resource in any of the 3 resource columns. The idea is to figure out how much I will need of that resource in the future. It will help a lot in structuring my trades.

Thanks

The person who wrote the excel program left the game and forums months ago, you're on your own for anything that you want to do with it.

DeletedUser32702

I asked a friend and he told me a way to do it.
the following is the set up and has to be done only once
  1. Unprotect the sheet. This is done on the Review tab
  2. Right click on cell U1 and select Format cells
  3. On the window that opens up go to the protection tab
  4. Remove the check mark from the Locked box and click OK
  5. On cell U2 enter the following formula
    =OR(L96=$U$1,N96=$U$1,P96=$U$1,R96=$U$1)=TRUE
  6. Copy the formula to the rest of the U cells except for U1
  7. On Cell V1 enter the following formula
    =SUBTOTAL(9,V2:V374)
  8. On Cell V2 enter the following formula
    =IF(L2=$U$1,M2,0)+IF(N2=$U$1,O2,0)+IF(P2=$U$1,Q2,0)+IF(R2=$U$1,S2,0)
  9. Copy the formula to the rest of the V cells except for V1
  10. Protect the sheet
to use it, enter the resource name in cell U1. Has to be spelled exactly like it is entered in the other cells (first letter is a capital). Then use filter arrow on the U column and select only TRUE and the on the Status column column select only blank. V1 contains the total amount of the visible rows where the resource matches U1.

Kind of clunky but it works.

Added a total in cell V1.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35326

Help!!!! I play the game on an iMac. I have the latest excel. I just want to calculate some goods from Oceanic straight to EMA's. Without having to go through the one like the Germans put out where you have to go through every age to get to the IA or EMA. Does anyone have a Calculator that will do that? Thank you... Or how to put it in CR's spreadsheet. That is all i want to do LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35326

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I want to take an Oceanic goods say 30 of them. And see how many EMA goods I could get for each item. That's all I want to do. I have excel and this spreadsheet. Have no clue where to enter what I just explained. Anyone know how to do it? Thanks.

DeletedUser26965

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I want to take an Oceanic goods say 30 of them. And see how many EMA goods I could get for each item. That's all I want to do. I have excel and this spreadsheet. Have no clue where to enter what I just explained. Anyone know how to do it? Thanks.
I'm a total noob at excel stuff and bad at math but I get some of the general stuff and just make a simple equation like this(this is for trading down at 1:2);
1111.gif
Then drag the corner of the cell up to the rest
2222.gif
Then you can just enter any amount into the OF cell hit enter and the rest will calculate. Not really the best way to do it but quick and simple.

DeletedUser35326

I'm a total noob at excel stuff and bad at math but I get some of the general stuff and just make a simple equation like this(this is for trading down at 1:2);
Then drag the corner of the cell up to the rest
Then you can just enter any amount into the OF cell hit enter and the rest will calculate. Not really the best way to do it but quick and simple.
Hey my friend. Looks great, is that the same sheet, or can you send me the link? ragnartheviking

DeletedUser26965

Hey my friend. Looks great, is that the same sheet, or can you send me the link? ragnartheviking
That's just something I did real quick in Google Sheets. If you have any spreadsheet program just do this;

in the first cell enter any number
in the cell below it enter =A1*2
then click and drag the corner of the second cell down the rest of the cells and it will keep doubling it

DeletedUser33419

Is there a latest version of the spreadsheet available, or is it only available on the first post?

DeletedUser32702

I have not made any changes to the spread sheet because I decided not to move to a new age for a while.