• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

FoE Idiom (and Proverbs?) Creator

KingJMobile

Welcome to the FoE Idiom (and Proverbs?) Creator.

To cut to the chase, everyone posts an idiom with words/expressions related to FoE, and underneath, state the definition of the idiom and give an example of their idiom being used in any context preferably in italics just because it looks nice. Here are three examples I have created:

"To fight without siege camps" – to complete a (usually arduous) task without support from others.
John fought without siege camps last night; he spent the entire day cleaning his bedroom.

"To lose your town hall" – to lose your mind; act foolishly.
Jane lost her town hall when John couldn't come home for dinner.

"To snipe/a snipe in the Colosseum" – to put a lot of effort into a useless/unsuccessful action.
John completely sniped the Colosseum when his bedroom hangings collapsed.
It was a total snipe in the Colosseum when Jane made John dinner last night.

By the way, some idioms may be interpreted differently, so you can comment to alter the idiom phrase itself or correct some definitions if you feel like it's not entirely spot-on.

Rules:
  1. Related to FoE please (I mean if it's not related to FoE, it's gonna be pretty dead ngl)
  2. On that note, you can rewrite some real-life idioms and replace their words to make them FoE related
  3. No profanity (unless it actually makes it sound better)
  4. No abuse to other players (except Inno )
  5. One idiom per post and you can also comment on other people's idioms on the same post. No spamming, please.
Waiting to hear all your bright ideas.

PJS299

Well, I guess I'll start.

"Building an Arc"
Starting a very successful and helpful thin that takes a lot of time.
John started building an Arc last night when he decided to make his own small business.
(If you don't understand, the Arc takes a while to get leveled, but once it is leveled it is a uhh, great great building.)

KingJMobile

Nice @PJS299 . I guess you’ve built the Arc on this thread lol.

“To be on high attrition” – to be tired out and become or less productive (of a person) or less effective (of a machine).
John was on high attrition after the first week of his business.

Sledgie

"Don't be an Adam" - referring to a player who has been through many guilds, left destruction in his wake, and now wanders T-world alone and friendless, angry at everyone.

PJS299

"Clearing the tavern"
Doing something to make a lot of money, for example, taking the money out of the cash register.
"John cleared the tavern last night when he figured out how much money he could get back from his tax refunds!"
(does that make sense...?)

KingJMobile

"Clearing the tavern"
Doing something to make a lot of money, for example, taking the money out of the cash register.
"John cleared the tavern last night when he figured out how much money he could get back from his tax refunds!"
(does that make sense...?)
It does (sort of). I doubt clearing the tavern really gets you much further anyway tho lol. Unless they improve what good stuff you should actually spend your silver on.

KingJMobile

It wasn't the best sentence example thing...
Still a good try though.

I’ve got one which I actually used on another player:
“Hide like a Hover Tank” – to be always hiding in plain view from other people.

John and Jane were playing hide and seek.
“Come out come out wherever you are,” said John. “You can’t hide like a Hover Tank forever.”
Jane was standing 3 metres in front of John. John could barely even see her, looking absolutely dumbfounded.
Jane giggled so hard she fell into a bush and John found her.

(Okay this is probably a weird example but I hope you get the idea).

KingJMobile

“To fight more than you can win” [GBG related origin] – remake of the original idiom “to bite more than you can chew”, where you do something that is too difficult for you.
John definitely fought more than he could win when he tried to fix his curtains last night.

PJS299

Finding Incidents
To find something small that gives you a reward?
John found an incident last night when he got out of his court case because he found a miswording in the documents!

The North Wind

¨Oh, How the guild games go¨ - Another form of ¨It is what it is¨. Usually referred in a past sense

Johnathon sat on a hill near cambridge lane, he stared out into the sunset, fading off into his mind to reminiscence about the old days.
One thought in particular urked him. In his youth, his friends started a company, It was based upon carbohydrates. John wanted no part in this, although years later it became very successful.

John had nothing going for him now in the current times. A part of him wishes he could go back in time, and join his friends in the carb biz.
John sat for a while, then sighed. He decided, that this is what he chose in life, he should deal with this.

¨ Oh, how the guild games go¨ He softly muttered

*I got a bit carried away...
**Didn´t realize people above also used a character by john for there idioms, I guess john is the poster boy for idioms

KingJMobile

@The North Wind You might have inspired me...

"Just another sixer in the dealer" – an interjection used to say that life is pretty dull and underwhelming because you've experienced bad luck.
[Reference to having six useless items in the Antiques Dealer]

Soon after, it began to rain outside as he was heading home. That night, Jane asked him about his short walk to ease his mind off work.

"Just another sixer in the dealer," he replied. "At least I still have some sort of life."

That night, he rested calmly in bed, logged on to FoE on his iPad, and found out he had missed two days of the Wildlife Event and still had homework left. Well, life's a real tosser sometimes.