• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

FOE Stories

UBERhelp1

So... basically just if you have a true story about the game that you did, someone else did, or whatever, that you want to share put it here. I'll go first with one of my stories.

While I was in IA on one of my worlds, I was plundering everyone I possibly could. I came across one person who had a really bad defense, and I crushed it easily (I believe the army was a few BA units and 4-5 rogues). I was in a good mood, so I messaged them to tell them that their defense could use some work. We struck up a conversation about army/fighting strategies and since then have become really good in-game friends. Now I am in HMA (farming RQs) and he is in CA. We are still in touch and trade info back and forth. Also, if one of us gets a rare GB, we offer each other spots on it, just to be nice. And actually something interesting... I recently learned he is of an age group that I normally don't associate with too much and it helped me realize that games really bring us together.

So... yeah. That's my story, if you have any others feel free to post them here.

DeletedUser38090

So on the first day of K I sent messages to around 300-350 people in the 1M points range so I could get an active friends list and a bunch of PE friends so I could get easy CF and Traz BPs. I added one person who for that moment was just like most other people looking for friend invites. A few hours after I unlocked Smithery, I stumbled upon her guild, aided everyone, and left. She then sent a message asking "Why did you leave the guild?", and I said I'm just looking for BPs and a substantial amount of coins, and no hard feelings. She said her guild was very nice and I should stop by once the week cooldown was over, and she offered to help out with anything.

Fast forward ~16 hours of hardcore guild hopping around 9,000 people, I got a full set of BPs for the SMB, which at the time I was really excited in building because I was following Dulahan's arc rush guide to a T. I told that friend that I somehow got a full set of BPs for the SMB, and asked how she could help me out even though I was still in the middle of the Bronze Age tech tree and can't donate to her GBs to have a goods for FP swap. She was extremely generous and gave me a full set of SMB goods for free, no strings attached, and she even told me she went out of her way to trade to get those goods.

Then, about a week later, I reached Iron Age, and I asked her if I could get some PE goods with FPs, and I joined her guild so there wouldn't be FPs wasted in the transaction. So I asked to get a bunch of machine parts so I could do a 1:1 swap for other PE goods. Apparently she didn't have a big stockpile for machine parts, and had to do unfair trades for them, so when I did 1:1 for machine parts and explosives, she asked if I was a conman. To compensate for the hassle that I've made, I donated around 90 FP so her observatory could be leveled instantly. Right now, I'm enjoying the guild so far, but I'll have to leave possibly in a month or so since the guild only does GE lvl 4 every other week, so once my town can do GE lvl 4 every week, I'll have to depart ways and find a guild that does it every week.

Super Catanian

In a group thread, the person that started it was looking for goods, but was having trouble starting the trades. Me and someone else I didn't know helped out. We were literally cheering him on. Once he was able to post the trade in the message, we all started celebrating. I'm not kidding. I sent a message saying "Free beer at the tavern!", for which someone there I was already friends with actually visited mine. We posted alcoholic emojis on the chat (beer, cocktails, etc.) The OP said "Drinks are on me", then proceeded to send me a PM with a beer emoji, saying it was for me. LQTMS.
Made a few friends later on, after which I was able to get all the prints for an Obs. Had a lot of fun that day (or those days). Would definitely do that again.

DeletedUser8428

when I first started playing FOE, I was one of those who holler loud and long about "fair" and "bullies" and I was incredibly PO'd about getting plundered. If I'd have had a nuclear bomb, I would have used it on anyone who came near me. I was whining on the forum one day and an upper level player took pity on me. He was never unkind, but he was not soft. He told me I was acting like a child, that this was a GAME and I would never be able to enjoy it until I could treat it as a game. He hammered at me (turns out we were on the same world and he messaged me every day). He wore me down. And FINALLY I started asking questions ... like my favorite - "If I can't prevent attack, how do I prevent plunder"? Rissen's kindness and patience saved the game for me. He helped me see that this is a game with no relation to RL. That learning to evaluate and make choices in the game was good practice for life and that I could have fun being the underdog. And so my 5 rules for FOE are:

1. This is a game. If you can't find a way to enjoy it, STOP PLAYING

2. Stop whining about "poor me". ASK QUESTIONS. FOE has a rich history and many players would love to provide you with valuable insight about how you want to play, how to make the most out of what you have, and how to participate.

3. Send friend invites to 2 kinds of people in your hood - those at the top (many will answer your questions about how to improve your offense/defense if you ask nicely) and those at the bottom (who may know less than you and will appreciate your interest).

4. If someone constantly breaks your defenses and plunders - ask them if you can be target practice in exchange for no plunder. SERIOUSLY. I've done this 3 times since I first started in 2013. The plunderer can see what troops you have .. Let him tell you how he wants you to set up your defense. He'll get a chance to experiment with his own troops - can he beat your lower level troops with a 9% boost if he uses heavy and ranged? What about if he switches to something else? In the process I made 2 friends that I played alongside for several years.

5. REPEAT #1

DeletedUser31540

I log in, I attack the hood, i plunder, i log off

I log in, i sort through hate mail, i attack the hood, i plunder, i log off

This has been the FoE story ive been writing daily for almost 2 years now ... over 30,000 battles now with almost all of it coming at the expense of my hood ! haha - this along with some rampant camping and GB leveling to boot !

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38090

FOE has a rich history
Part of me just wonders how different the strategy was back then. I've looked around threads years ago and RQing was barely a thing in those days, and everybody had goods buildings.

UBERhelp1

One of my favorites, this is really unspecific, but whenever a whole lot of your friends are in the global chat and everyone is talking and having a good time. It is hilarious what comes up sometimes. We once had to explain what an eggplant represented to some people.

Super Catanian

Part of me just wonders how different the strategy was back then. I've looked around threads years ago and RQing was barely a thing in those days, and everybody had goods buildings.
You're right. RQs were not nearly well known.
It was just plain and simple; solve the quests while progressing in the tech tree and in the C-Map; stock up on goods, train a large number of troops, repeat.

DeletedUser

So I guess my FoE story in response to this is that I fairly recently started a new city. After a few days I realized that I didn't have any goods. (I had planned on guild hopping a lot, but found I didn't have the time.) I had become so reliant on GBs and event/special buildings in my older cities for goods that I had forgotten that I would need to "grow my own" until I had those other buildings. Now I have several Wishing Wells in that city, as well as a ToB, so the goods buildings are gone, but it was kind of funny when I realized that I had momentarily forgotten about one of the basic building blocks of a new city.

Super Catanian

Fought a manual battle where it was my 1 colorguard and 7 rogues against 8 colorguards. I turned up the volume and at one point is is a field of just colorguards smacking each other and flags waving. Greatest fight ever.
That must have been hilarious!!
Who won, though?

Super Catanian

The guy with the last colorguard standing ;)
4efcda6185e98de15c8def9e6bf39a55--indian-meme-rage-faces.jpg

No duh, Sherlock

Super Catanian

I have one that happened earlier today.

So I was in a group chat with a bunch of earlier players, who, as you may be able to guess, are still somewhat new to the game. The thread was mostly for trades and all that stuff.

Eventually someone complains about "harassment" (she was just getting plundered a lot), so after reminding that plundering is a part of the game. I offered a bunch of advice about all kinds of aspects in the game, such as GE, getting GBs, how the Guild Treasury works and how to find a good guild, dealing with population and goods, battles; that kind of stuff. Everyone else there seemed really interested. I must have conversed for at least 2 hours of answering questions and all that.

During this whole exchange, while discussing GBs, I revealed to them the greatest unwritten law of FoE, "Never donate the last FP to a GB that produces resources". I also revealed to them the secret of double-dipping.
They really appreciated everything. At the end, I felt like this...
images

That was fun. Will do again.

Mostly I am just glad that I was able to prevent at least 3 players from accidentally levelling off a GB.

DeletedUser32328

Yeah, like the time I wasn't paying attention and attacked with eight rogues....... ;)
Did you autobattle like I did?
Though mine was actually with 7 rogues. Didn't quite drag that regular troop on there.