• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

FoE through the ages

Captain Christian

In light of this birthday contest we are supposed to be having, I thought I'd check and see if there is anybody around who was playing when it first came out. In what ways was it different?

Algona

In light of this birthday contest we are supposed to be having, I thought I'd check and see if there is anybody around who was playing when it first came out. In what ways was it different?

I'm only five years into my reign of terror so can't answer the question. But I know what can, the forums themselves.

Go back to the very last page of the different subforums and work forward, then as now folk post about what is important to them.

Sadly, a few years back some mod who is no longer with us got it into their head to reorganize threads and deleted and moved a lot of threads.

I consider that a crime against the history of the game and the community.

Please, anybody doing this, restrain yourselves from necroing old threads or posting about how kewl they are.

Necroes are annoying as hell. Anybody interested in forum archaeology will already know the most interesting and fun threads.

Have fun.

The Lady Redneck

I was not here right from the start, but there was only PvP when I first started. No GvG or any other form of warfare. Only 4 (I think) main Events a year. No AID button you had to visit each persons city to polivate them. Guilds were all (or seemed to be all) at full membership that meant a lot of time spent doing Hood, FL and guild. Hoods were not age specific so you always had the top 5 or so members of your hood who were High Age. (by high age I mean Colonial and Indy) LOL. No GBs that put goods into guild treasury for you. You HAD to give the specific amount of goods for the age you were in from your own goods and there was a thread where you had to say when you did. If you did not do so you got booted. Guild founders and leaders all seemed to be old time war gamers so after GvG started they ran guilds like they were front line FMJ military bases. When they said jump you did not stop to ask how high. You stayed in the age you were told and you farmed what you were told. you build the troop barracks you were told to but could not fight, only use them (with permission) for SA or DA. And only the top echelons of the guild actually did the fighting. BUT the good ones had the experience and took the time to teach and train newbies. Some guilds even tried to insist that you could not have anyone on your friends list if they were in a guild you were enemies with in GvG neither were you to aid anyone in your hood that were in those guilds. BUT The good guilds were great and many of them are still top guilds and they really were fun to be a part of. And I still base my approach to the game by what I learned back then.

One thing that has not changed is that the idiot bullyboy guilds are still blaming the ordinary guild members stupidity, lack of loyalty and INNO for the shortcomings of their bully boy mentality. Plundering was alive and well back then. When a new Age was launched there were those who wailed about the game losing its way as the GBs, troops etc useless.

Early on I did have to take a break from the game due to my husband having to change jobs and we moved to an area where there was no real internet available. So I deleted my 2 cities and cancelled my account thinking I would not be back. but was back by the time they launched the aid button and OBS. By then they were introducing more Events and such. The game focus did (It seems to me) start to change after the main designer died, But from my time in the game I would say if you expect FoE to continue as is and never change. Find another game to play. FoE will continue to evolve. Some of the changes we may not like, Some we will, but accept that change as the norm. And learn how to use it to suit your changing cities and gameplay.

Last edited: