• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Forge Bowl 2020

• Thread starter DeletedUser25252
  • Start date

UBERhelp1

Nice! The only thing for me is what DS to go for... not entirely sure yet. Should I get another Colossus, or should I go for Sentinel Outposts? Hmm...

RazorbackPirate

For me, it will be the Colossus first. Overall per tile value is much better. I also think the added attack boost will pair well with the Treasury. I plan to use the Diamond coach when I do, so RNG willing, once I have one completed, I'll then go for Sentinels and SO upgrades. For me, they're a much better filler than anything else, but I can't see myself dedicating space to them. It would be nice however, to replace a few VTs in the odd spots I have them.

Jern2017

I can't wait for this event! The main building is amazing and I'll try to get as many Sentinel Outposts as possible.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Sentinel Outpost is great for well developed cities.

Newer cities (especially lower aged ones) may find the Tactician's Tower to be better suited as a 1x1 filler, since it gives attack bonus to your city defenders and may help keep away plunders (who usually hate taking damage). The Tactician's Tower isn't available in the upcoming event however, so go get them Sentinel Outposts!

DeletedUser29726

Sentinel Outpost is great for well developed cities.

Newer cities (especially lower aged ones) may find the Tactician's Tower to be better suited as a 1x1 filler, since it gives attack bonus to your city defenders and may help keep away plunders (who usually hate taking damage). The Tactician's Tower isn't available in the upcoming event however, so go get them Sentinel Outposts!

Tactician's Tower was available amongst the beta daily specials so is likely to be available. But encouraging new players to waste specials and then space on defensive structures is just cruel. Very few people attack. And the space you'd need to dedicate to thwart those few who do is so not worth it (they're usually among the better developed players). Just collect on time or even let the plunderer take 1 building (which will generally take less space than the needed defensive structures to stop them).

I'd recommend Colossus as the chase special for a typical newer city (as they'd be in need of the FP, and the attack boost would be more likely to still be of value to them).

For a decently developed combat city I'd go for the sentinel outposts. Attack boost is nigh-worthless past a point and there's a good chance you've made it to that point with GBs and past event buildings such as the asylum. (The same will hold for defense to attacking army at some threshold but you've not had an opportunity beyond GBs to improve that so far). They're also by far the best 1x1 in the game so you may as well have some of them for filler (Watchfires/Tacticians = worthless, Victory Tower = marginal, Pod Home = situational)

Kranyar the Mysterious

Tactician's Tower was available amongst the beta daily specials so is likely to be available. But encouraging new players to waste specials and then space on defensive structures is just cruel. Very few people attack. And the space you'd need to dedicate to thwart those few who do is so not worth it (they're usually among the better developed players). Just collect on time or even let the plunderer take 1 building (which will generally take less space than the needed defensive structures to stop them).

I'd recommend Colossus as the chase special for a typical newer city (as they'd be in need of the FP, and the attack boost would be more likely to still be of value to them).

For a decently developed combat city I'd go for the sentinel outposts. Attack boost is nigh-worthless past a point and there's a good chance you've made it to that point with GBs and past event buildings such as the asylum. (The same will hold for defense to attacking army at some threshold but you've not had an opportunity beyond GBs to improve that so far). They're also by far the best 1x1 in the game so you may as well have some of them for filler (Watchfires/Tacticians = worthless, Victory Tower = marginal, Pod Home = situational)
Oh, I agree not to chase it. I missed that it was a daily special somehow, so if it is on live, no, I agree with you 100% about going for the Colossus.

In my HMA city I've noticed a huge decrease in the number of attacks I get after someone hits me the first time, since I've put up some Tactician's Towers. I am #5 in my hood and get attacked at least 10 times a week on average. I haven't gotten any repeat attacks since I put them up. People hate attacking cities that fight back. Most of the people who attack me have very little boost themselves, and while defense doesn't stop them, killing their troops before they kill mine does.

Last edited:

mamboking053

Would high-attrition GbG battles validate having massive attack and defense boosts, or does attrition go up so high, so fast, at a certain point that it won't make much of a difference?

DeletedUser29726

Would high-attrition GbG battles validate having massive attack and defense boosts, or does attrition go up so high, so fast, at a certain point that it won't make much of a difference?

It's complicated ;) You will in general probably be best served stacking attack boost if your goal is to fight at the highest attrition possible (without relying on cheesing fights mechanically). However yes, the rate attrition goes up does get crazy (and is what I refer to as more attack boost being nigh-worthless; It'll take a lot of attack boost for a couple more encounters before you have to pick and choose what fights you can win or restart a bajillion times until you get insane crit/AR Targeting luck). Also you'd be better served negotiating if your goal was to get the most done before you're attritioned out.

However you will be able to auto longer if you have moderately high attack AND high defense rather than just focusing on attack without necessarily losing much in terms of the hardest fight you can beat. Certain units will also get disproportionate benefit from being made tanky (Force Field amplifies your work getting to the 1 damage minimum feasibly, Contact! gets you extra retaliations before you lose a unit). I'll be addressing this in another guide post later tonight (the damage calculator was a foundation for this).

Emberguard

On Beta someone found attrition goes to 12,000% / 60 goods @ 150 attrition and that’s the cap.

And yes that was with multiple players reaching close to or over that. But they were all SAM players with like, 700% attack boost. I don’t know how much of an effect the added defence on attacking army boost will give, but I’ll be going for it anyway.

Haven’t got anything better to put there due to not needing medals and everything I want in my city is plunderproof or not worth bothering protecting

better to test it out in the age you’re in and then decide whether it made a difference

Vger

I have to ask: was this paragraph just translated word for word from the original German?:

This year we have brought you a brand new feature to the Forge Bowl: Coaches! Now it's possible to add a coach by clicking in the '+' button in the top left corner. Upon opening the coaches' clipboard, you'll be able to select a coach who suits better to your current tactics. There are four free-coaches, and depending on your choice, you will have different advantages to make progress for a touchdown. There's also a premium coach that provides all these advantages combined. After activating it, your coach will available for 24 hours, however, he will have a cooldown timer to be used again (except for the coaches 1 & 5).

That is some rather convoluted English American. Announcements are usually translated better than that.

The reason I ask: I'm confused about the coach cool-down thing. Especially that last sentence:

After activating it, your coach will available for 24 hours, however, he will have a cooldown timer to be used again (except for the coaches 1 & 5).
You can switch the coach anytime, but doing so will add a cooldown of 24 hours to the previous coach
HUH? People didn't get Reindeer. You think they will get this?

I got Reindeer, I'm not sure I got this one.

I think what is being said here is that I can fire one coach and hire a new one, and get the benefits of the new coach right away. But I would have to wait 24 hours before I could hire back the old coach.

But I could also *reasonably* interpret this as when I fire a coach to hire a new one, I'm stuck with the old coach for 24 hours before the new one can join the team.

Clear as muddy Reindeer to me!!!

( I know there are lots of beta, folks here that will be more than happy to jump in and explain this to me. DON'T!!! I'll figure it out. I'm not posting this because I need someone to explain to me how the coach cooldown thing works. I'll figure it out. It's the reindeer people I worry about..."It was clearly explained in the announcement" isn't going to work this time.)

DeletedUser29726

The reindeer people shouldn't complain too hard this time. You interpreted it correctly in the simplest manner possible. And the indications in game when a coach is on cooldown (seeing as reindeer people won't have read the announcements anyways) is quite clear.

What the reindeer people will have problems with is hiring the "wrong" coach (i.e. not the +1 yd coach) AND choosing the "wrong" plays (i.e. not the shortest ones) (one or the other might be fine, both most certainly is not if you're trying to complete the grand prize without diamonds), and then exclaiming the event was impossible.

UBERhelp1

The reindeer people shouldn't complain too hard this time. You interpreted it correctly in the simplest manner possible. And the indications in game when a coach is on cooldown (seeing as reindeer people won't have read the announcements anyways) is quite clear.

What the reindeer people will have problems with is hiring the "wrong" coach (i.e. not the +1 yd coach) AND choosing the "wrong" plays (i.e. not the shortest ones) (one or the other might be fine, both most certainly is not if you're trying to complete the grand prize without diamonds), and then exclaiming the event was impossible.
No, the reindeer people will have problems with not being able to get the diamond coach for free and for the entire event.

Vger

The reindeer people shouldn't complain too hard this time. You interpreted it correctly in the simplest manner possible.
Um....I gave 2 diametrically opposed interpretations of what the announcement says. How can you say I interpreted it correctly?

DeletedUser29726

On Beta someone found attrition goes to 12,000% / 60 goods @ 150 attrition and that’s the cap.

And yes that was with multiple players reaching close to or over that. But they were all SAM players with like, 700% attack boost. I don’t know how much of an effect the added defence on attacking army boost will give, but I’ll be going for it anyway.

Haven’t got anything better to put there due to not needing medals and everything I want in my city is plunderproof or not worth bothering protecting

better to test it out in the age you’re in and then decide whether it made a difference

It's still all cherry-picked battles that high up. 700% attack boost may as well be zero at that level. Defense boost also won't make an impact.

Mars has an above average number of mechanically exploitable units as well an extra crit-like effect that make it prone to giving them opportunities to take screenshots of winning against ridiculous boost.

Steel Wardens and Space Marines take a long while to get in range and rocket troops or turturrets can splash many of them for 1 minimum damagex5, two rounds of fire before they can fire - killing most of them.
It's got a flyer with good range and many fights are smaller because of it - if you can avoid 4 artillery by the flying ability then 8 flyers with great crit/AR targetting luck can potentially kill the other 4 units fast enough. LLQ specified he had over 40% crit chance from his orangery iirc.

DeletedUser29726

Um....I gave 2 diametrically opposed interpretations of what the announcement says. How can you say I interpreted it correctly?

The first simple interpretation:

I think what is being said here is that I can fire one coach and hire a new one, and get the benefits of the new coach right away. But I would have to wait 24 hours before I could hire back the old coach.

Is exactly correct and it'd take some contortions to try and interpret it the other way you suggested.

Vger

Is exactly correct and it'd take some contortions to try and interpret it the other way you suggested.
Contortions like...Once I get the last reindeer I won't have to pay any diamonds for the whole sleigh full of prizes? Mah...nobody would ever think that.