• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Forgepoints Efficient Use

spnnr

I understand that the use of ingame resources (coins, fps, supplies, goods etc) is determined largely by the players playing style . However, I was pondering how to improve the efficiency in fps use meaning more bang for buck. I see a lot of players (quite rightly) use the metric of fps generation per square to determine whether to build a building or not. That seems to be very supply driven. What about the other end end - what do you do with the fps to ensure a decent return on investment?

Some players stockpile their fps to race through tech / buy future goods etc. Others tend to have a lot more fps floating about with sniping gbs etc. Still others even level their own gbs ! I was told early on both on the wise heads on here and the wizened ones ingame that this is a poor use of fps - and I believe this to be self evident.

So to maximize fps efficiency should I be converting more of my stockpile (hypothetically) into competing for reward positions in gbs or maybe donate to 1 high level gb instead of a scatter-gun approach to sniping? Or just save them for later ages?

Freshmeboy

I actually find a mix of these tactics works best...One Gb that I self level..It's for when I have zero time and many collections to do; this way my hourlies have a home as well as windfalls of fps.....this is also my Sniper GB for the guild, friends or hood. I snipe daily in the hood and friends list using my city produced fps to increase my inventory. I increase my inventory for one reason. To use the fps in swaps and claim first place. I can pick and choose my GBs for maximum rewards. Making a profit on my snipes is not the goal- the goal is to take points I MUST use and make them into fps I can use whenever I wish...even if I must snipe at a loss. Which was every damn day until I built my arc....

wolfhoundtoo

Actually self leveling can be rather rewarding with the right guild mates and friends list. It doesn't take that much coordination you just need to know when to stop versus the rewards and post it or message the person you want to take it. You only gain forge points on swaps if you win one of the top 5 positions which isn't always possible.

While I admit self leveling isn't the greatest strategy it's rare that anything in FOE is outright 'bad' in all situations.

As for the general plan on 'sniping' that would depend on many factors including your online time, the players you are donating too, the competition, the ARC levels of all the players and whether or not the GB owner is going to be cooperating with you or someone else.

If you have the time look for a Great Building that's relatively close to leveling that you might be able to lock for cheap and take those and whatever rewards you get from them. The rest you'll have to judge each GB separately as you figure out your competition. If you spend the time checking GBs regularly you should stumble across a few good deals.

DeletedUser27184

So to maximize fps efficiency should I be converting more of my stockpile (hypothetically) into competing for reward positions in gbs or maybe donate to 1 high level gb instead of a scatter-gun approach to sniping? Or just save them for later ages?
As a general rule - A FP in the stockpiles is doing nothing. A FP invested to advance a GB advance your play (through snipe, swap or any method). You should always use your FP in an active play in order to get better city.
That being said, you need a bank of FP for your daily activities. So you should always have enough FP not to get stuck and lose a snipe/swap that you need.
There will be a lot of situations in the game that you will need to hold a larger bank, but you need reasons to hold FP in the bank and not use it.

spnnr

To use the fps in swaps and claim first place. I can pick and choose my GBs for maximum rewards. Making a profit on my snipes is not the goal- the goal is to take points I MUST use and make them into fps I can use whenever I wish...even if I must snipe at a loss. Which was every damn day until I built my arc....

This point is something that I didnt formally consider - converting daily fps into stored fps

Actually self leveling can be rather rewarding with the right guild mates and friends list. It doesn't take that much coordination you just need to know when to stop versus the rewards and post it or message the person you want to take it. You only gain forge points on swaps if you win one of the top 5 positions which isn't always possible.

While I admit self leveling isn't the greatest strategy it's rare that anything in FOE is outright 'bad' in all situations.

That might be tough mate given that there is the tendency to have snipers and the odd person who jjust dumps fps into a gb without considering the owner.

I particularly appreciate your point about guild fps swaps rewards which also has the drawback of favoring the bigger players in a guild -a problem I am yet to resolve in every guild I have been in -as I tend to favor player development.

As a general rule - A FP in the stockpiles is doing nothing. A FP invested to advance a GB advance your play (through snipe, swap or any method). You should always use your FP in an active play in order to get better city.
That being said, you need a bank of FP for your daily activities. So you should always have enough FP not to get stuck and lose a snipe/swap that you need.
There will be a lot of situations in the game that you will need to hold a larger bank, but you need reasons to hold FP in the bank and not use it.

Great advice as usual Jobu -I suspect as you go up in age /era your bank of fps should be greater right?

DeletedUser27184

Great advice as usual Jobu -I suspect as you go up in age /era your bank of fps should be greater right?
Thank you.

The bank is based on your daily usage of FP and how constant it is (the variance is important). Swaps in a guild are the most constant. As you get into the high level Arc, more and more snipes get into your usage, and the variance of usage become greater.

Here follows a few possible examples:
* If you, on average, snipe and swap for a 100 FP per day within a guild, I would advise 400 FP's stored.
* If you, on average, snipe and swap for a 500 FP per day within a guild with some high level Arc snipes, I would advise for 2500 FP bank.
* If you snipe a lot, for 5000 a day, with many snipes, you may want up to 30-50K FP in your bank as the variance is very high.

It's not depended on your tech or age, its based on your usage of FP. The bank allow you to snipe/swap when you need it, and not be limited by the times of your FP generation methods. For example a lot of FP is generated from reward+Arc enhancing. Those can come fast or slow. If they come slow, you will have less FP generated for a few days, and you will need to use the bank, in order to continue to invest into other GB's and not get stuck.
You want to put into the bank the minimum possible FP's, since you want to use the FP's. But you need to bank in order not to lose possible rewards from swaps and snipes.

Note - You may need smaller or bigger banks then in the examples, based on your personal play style. Those are just very broad guide lines and you must adjust it to your city.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31592

This point is something that I didnt formally consider - converting daily fps into stored fps

I do this all the time.

In X, I'm saving to pay for Arc goods. They are steep- generally 1:1, so you need over 1800 :eek:

Yesterday, I had so many FPs in my bar- collected my daily stuff (TF, HS, SoKs, etc...) which is roughly 35, then completed my DC- 30, opened Challenger's Chest- 50, then went through the GE Level 4. When all was said and done, I had 208 FPs. This guild doesn't have a swap above 30 FPs. So, after I took every single swap, I still had 128 FPs. So, I had to go through and try to invest them. I started looking for break-evens or profits, but I also wrote down a few opportunities that would allow me to secure a spot for a small loss. That was if I had some left after taking all the break evens or better, I knew what to go back to, but thankfully I didn't have to go back to them. I was able to use them all to lock spots, most for profit, too. But I'm happy if I can just break even since it builds my bank. Out of my 208 FPs, I was able to secure spots to bank 145 of them. Plus if I get rewards from the 80 I put on the swap threads, I will be able to bank even more of that 208. All in all, I was pleased.

spnnr

Nice case studies brethren as it from your experiences it seems that sniping/ swaps should be a fundamental principle of fps management.
As an extension to my question :

Is there a way to help lower age members get rewards-bps in particular within a guild composed of high level players? I encourage all players to participate in swaps to allow them to use it as sinks for fps instead on tech research. The problem is the higher level players do the same..

While I encourage them ( its not my guild btw) to look at gbs outside the guild -I cant help but feel I am missing something..

DeletedUser31592

Lower aged players need to look for Oracles. Especially in IA and the Middle Ages. They give a better pay out.

spnnr

Really Jcera? tbh I havent considered oracle of much importance especially after the arc debacle.

Should they be doing fps guild swaps or organize fps swap clubs between themselves?

Freshmeboy

Lower age players in high level guilds will never compete with their mates unless they buy, buy, buy. Better to follow my advice and snipe at a small loss or even every point they can in the hood and friends list.....Once a bank is built they can focus on one GB at a time in the swaps..The one that comes up when they collect

DeletedUser27184

Lower age players in high level guilds will never compete with their mates unless they buy, buy, buy. Better to follow my advice and snipe at a small loss or even every point they can in the hood and friends list.....Once a bank is built they can focus on one GB at a time in the swaps..The one that comes up when they collect
There are ways to minimize the pain.
You need to know who the big players are. Where they invest usually and at what rate. And work around them.
For example, usually they will go for 1st/2nd places - aim and try to grab the 3rd/4th prizes. As long as you get a good ratio of reward versus investment, you are winning. You dont need to win against the big players so let them have the 1st reward, you need to win versus your own level of competition over the 2nd/3rd and 4th place.
Also, a lot of the time they have tendency to invest into the big levels - high arcs and such. Try to target the smaller levels over the bigger ones.

DeletedUser31592

Really Jcera? tbh I havent considered oracle of much importance especially after the arc debacle.

Should they be doing fps guild swaps or organize fps swap clubs between themselves?

The payout isn't as good as it was pre-Oracle-gate, but it is still a better return than other early age GBs- Zeus, ToB, LoA, etc...

Plus- an Oracle indicates a new player. Most of them don't know about swaps and don't know there are rewards for contributing to GBs. They self level. So it is easy to get reward spots. Typically low-level Oracles, so we are talking about a gain of 1-20 FPs on each, but they add up. I had opened a world in C right before the Oracle was released- I was still in IA but had apparently progressed too far to qualify for the questline. I have enough BPs to plant one and level it to at least 20. I've never taken a loss. Some break-evens, yes, but no losses. As I said, it isn't big numbers but it adds up. ;)
In 3 months, using a brand new city, I've amassed 1300 FPs in storage, all ready to trade for FE and PE goods as soon as I get some more CF BPs and the last elusive Arc BP that has been toying with me for weeks.

Woody*

Nice case studies brethren as it from your experiences it seems that sniping/ swaps should be a fundamental principle of fps management.
As an extension to my question :

Is there a way to help lower age members get rewards-bps in particular within a guild composed of high level players? I encourage all players to participate in swaps to allow them to use it as sinks for fps instead on tech research. The problem is the higher level players do the same..

While I encourage them ( its not my guild btw) to look at gbs outside the guild -I cant help but feel I am missing something..

Yes. In my guild on Parkog, when a newer member needs blueprints to a particular GB, we set them up for cheap reward spots by having level 80 Arc owners lock spots 1-3, and then have the newer member lock spot 5 (and sometimes 4 also) for either 1fp each, or sometimes at least asking for break-even on the FP reward for those spots. Since many of our GBs are above level 50, these spots generate a lot of BPs (and medals, too).

DeletedUser31440

Lower aged players need to look for Oracles. Especially in IA and the Middle Ages. They give a better pay out.

IA city with or without an Arc can clean house by sniping Oracles. My city on E is IA with a low level Arc and about 70% of my snipes are on Oracles, they may not be big money snipes but they are great return rate snipes, especially since so many newer players self level the Oracle for a few levels before they come to their senses.

spnnr

Thanks for the information lads and lasses , I think the question has been answered fully with the best way to manage fps efficiency is a mixed approach (sniping/saving/fps swaps even self leveling based on circumstances) based on the player style and future plans.

The question evolved into some ways to help smaller players gets bps /fps etc. I am especially appreciative of the answers provided as I inhabit lower level guilds and of note is the role the oracle can play , fresh's sniping, Jobu's niche approach to fps investing and the real life gaming experience Cliare and Ozyman shared.

Thanks a lot :)