• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Forum Changes Discussion thread

LeCron

FOE Team
Community Manager
Hello there,

Use this thread to address any concerns or give any feedback on this matter. You can read about it here.

Please: be constructive. :)

Kranyar the Mysterious

Other than hiring new/more moderators there isn't really anything else to discuss since you gave us zero details. Any other details to share? If not, this will probably just turn into another endless speculation feedback loop thread like the rest.

As to moderating, I think Agent has been doing a great job at removing my posts, though I can imagine he gets a bit burnt out moderating the forums in general, so maybe more help is welcome, though I can't imagine anyone wanting to take on the role. It is a thankless job made much harder by Inno's lack of transparency to the community about pretty much everything.

If anything is ever to change here, it needs to start with Inno's (lack of) communication with the community beyond just posting announcements. Other games do it, Inno could too if they actually desired.

UBERhelp1

I'm open to changes! I hope they're good. It's just that we have no idea what those changes are. Personally I hope a little rework of the ideas section is coming. It's the first place many players head to when they join, and iirc threads used to eb much more open to discussion and would get moved to another area of the forum to be discussed if they violated a suggestion rule rather than being immediately closed.

Just because a person did something wrong, or because they weren't knowledgeable about something, isn't a reason to close a thread. My two cents.

Kranyar the Mysterious

I'm open to changes! I hope they're good. It's just that we have no idea what those changes are. Personally I hope a little rework of the ideas section is coming. It's the first place many players head to when they join, and iirc threads used to eb much more open to discussion and would get moved to another area of the forum to be discussed if they violated a suggestion rule rather than being immediately closed.

Just because a person did something wrong, or because they weren't knowledgeable about something, isn't a reason to close a thread. My two cents.
Well, since the Ideas thread was closed for a rework a half a month ago according to this thread, I'd say that likely has something to do with it, but who knows, maybe they are totally unrelated.

MollisVox

I'm hoping that the new moderators will be instructed to interact in a more positve and friendly way with the community that bothers to come to these forums. I would imagine anyone looking to get started here could look at the tone of a lot of moderation posts already here and be put off.

mellofax

FOE Team
Co-Community Manager
Thanks for your thoughts people, as was pointed out we have already begun the process of overhauling the suggestion area. This will be done after the existing ideas have been voted on by the community and we will give more information afterward along with a new guide on submitting suggestions.

We do hope to make some positive changes with regard to the way we moderate new posts and replies, though of course we do expect the forum rules to be followed at all times - this will not change. As and when we have more information we will of course be happy to share this with you all :)

Pericles the Lion

Thanks for your thoughts people, as was pointed out we have already begun the process of overhauling the suggestion area. This will be done after the existing ideas have been voted on by the community and we will give more information afterward along with a new guide on submitting suggestions.

We do hope to make some positive changes with regard to the way we moderate new posts and replies, though of course we do expect the forum rules to be followed at all times - this will not change. As and when we have more information we will of course be happy to share this with you all :)
On the subject of Forum Rules, I'd suggest that INNO make an effort to make the rules consistent across all servers. Topics that are freely discussed on Beta (e.g. FoeHelper, FoElite) have been banned from this Forum. Also, how about consistent application of the rules (e.g. some days it's okay to go off topic and some days off-topic posts get deleted) Or, how about simply making post deletion a last resort?

iPenguinPat

1) The change in mods is long overdue and much appreciated by the community. Definitely looking forward to where this goes. Juber has been amazing for the Beta forums. Hopefully, the new staff for the US forums are just as successful at building the community.
2) This post from a forum mod and including multiple former/current staff is really on point: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/a-new-day.24784/ This forum has routinely been more about being rude to others and arguing rather than constructive discussion. Enforcement of rules that require players to be respectful of each other would be much appreciated.
3) Consistency with rule enforcement is much needed. For the majority of time that I've used this forum, there have been some members that routinely break rules and reported their posts yield no action while other members were routinely targeted and moderated for posts that weren't even clearly breaking rules.

<removed spoiler>

4) Separate Mod posts from player posts. It has been mentioned that the mods are volunteers, but they also play the game. Multiple times this has led to confusion about if the comments made were coming as an "official representative of inno" or as a "player" just sharing their 2 cents. This makes interacting with mods difficult. The two roles should be clearly separated so that players can have an open discussion without risking disrespecting mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kranyar the Mysterious

Separate Mod posts from player posts. It has been mentioned that the mods are volunteers, but they also play the game. Multiple times this has led to confusion about if the comments made were coming as an "official representative of inno" or as a "player" just sharing their 2 cents. This makes interacting with mods difficult. The two roles should be clearly separated so that players can have an open discussion without risking disrespecting mods.
I've always felt that Mods should be provided with a Forum Mod account for their use in their official capacity, separate from their player account. No mixing the two up if you don't know the two accounts are the same person in different capacities. I will say though that if a mod's player account is reported, it should be automatically flagged so a different mod makes a decision about the issue.

mellofax

FOE Team
Co-Community Manager
1) The change in mods is long overdue and much appreciated by the community. Definitely looking forward to where this goes. Juber has been amazing for the Beta forums. Hopefully, the new staff for the US forums are just as successful at building the community.
2) This post from a forum mod and including multiple former/current staff is really on point: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/a-new-day.24784/ This forum has routinely been more about being rude to others and arguing rather than constructive discussion. Enforcement of rules that require players to be respectful of each other would be much appreciated.
3) Consistency with rule enforcement is much needed. For the majority of time that I've used this forum, there have been some members that routinely break rules and reported their posts yield no action while other members were routinely targeted and moderated for posts that weren't even clearly breaking rules.

<removed spoiler>

4) Separate Mod posts from player posts. It has been mentioned that the mods are volunteers, but they also play the game. Multiple times this has led to confusion about if the comments made were coming as an "official representative of inno" or as a "player" just sharing their 2 cents. This makes interacting with mods difficult. The two roles should be clearly separated so that players can have an open discussion without risking disrespecting mods.

Thanks for your feedback. I have removed your spoiler however. If you want to link an existing thread then you can do so, but please do not use screenshots of threads - just link them. Content in a screenshot can be misleading, manipulated etc. Thanks for helping us help you moving forward and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Agent327

Thanks for your feedback. I have removed your spoiler however. If you want to link an existing thread then you can do so, but please do not use screenshots of threads - just link them. Content in a screenshot can be misleading, manipulated etc. Thanks for helping us help you moving forward and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You did not remove anything. Screenshot is still there. All you did was making it directly visible by removing the spoiler.

LeCron

FOE Team
Community Manager
Hey guys, good morning.

Please behave. I asked you to be constructive here, so I don't think it's healthy for anyone to start a bad discussion, to point any fingers or start inflammatory speeches here.

If you want to talk to each other in an off-topic way, please use PMs and keep this thread clean and productive.

Thank you.