• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Forum Etiquette

RaveWolf

And I respectfully disagree. Countless times I have given reasoned responses to proposals only to be insulted and attacked. I have given relevant and informed responses to questions only to be attacked simply because the answer wasn't convenient for the questioner. Yes, there are some frequent posters that immediately resort to demeaning replies, but overall they are in the minority.

I have observed members being on the attack or defense within there initial question a few times myself, and I am by no means disputing the fact that they too are in the wrong sometimes from the get-go.

I have not read every thread there is to read and can't honestly agree nor disagree with your views. I can't speak for all the threads you've seen, and can only comment on my own observations, and this is based on that.

Thank you for the respectful debate. I truly appreciate and respect good debates, it's how we get things resolved.

DeletedUser

You can't be serious about this Stephen, virtually the way it always goes is agent says something mean and snarky and provokes the poster.
Yes, @Agent327 does engage in more than his share of snark (full disclosure: me, too), but when a proposal isn't in proper format, he posts this actually very helpful list:

Steps of a Proposal

1. Go to the Proposals section
  2. Check the Do Not Suggest List
  3. If your proposal is not on the DNSL check the Frequently Proposed Ideas and do a forum Search to see if it’s already been suggested
  4. If you can’t find a similar proposal then Properly Format your proposal
  5. Submit Proposal
  6. Wait at least two weeks
  7. If multiple people support your Proposal you can at this point Submit it for Nomination
  8. At this point “moderators will review it and decide if a poll will be created or if it needs further discussion first”
  9. If successful your Proposal will be Submitted for Vote
  10. If successful it should be Submitted to Inno
  11. For various reasons a Proposal may end up in the Closed/Archived section, if that happens they state “...try re working the text and create a new proposal thread for it.”
  12. If a Proposal goes through to Inno I’m not exactly sure what happens at that point
  13. Never add a Poll to your own Proposal
  14. If you get slushpuppy responses try to ignore it

Unfortunately, 90% of proposers who didn't initially use the proper format will go on to refuse to even try to edit/correct their proposal to the proper format. Many of them get indignant about it and even engage in personal attacks. And this has been going on for months, if not years. So you tell me, how long would you stay respectful to newbies that act like that?

RaveWolf

Literally, from my very first question on this forum, I have felt unwelcome here, and for the most part too scared to even ask anything because guaranteed there is gonna be backlash for not knowing something!! I have tried to take each one with a pinch of salt... but what I saw today, a few hours ago (an old post), was basically something I wanted to find out about myself even though I've been playing since July 2015, and there is nothing out there (that I've seen) that actually gives a definitive answer, and the response I saw on that thread just tore me apart and just felt really crap for the way he was treated, and that's what got me to let it out.

Judging from the agression that is dripping into your posts I seriously doubt that.

Funny that you are doing now what you are trying to address.
What aggression, I'm simply stating the facts!!
I little tongue in cheek is not by any means an attack!!

RaveWolf

proposers who didn't initially use the proper format will go on to refuse to even try to edit/correct their proposal to the proper format. Many of them get indignant about it and even engage in personal attacks. And this has been going on for months, if not years.
This I can agree with. It has happened many times.

So you tell me, how long would you stay respectful to newbies that act like that?
The issue that I see, is that it creates a ripple effect, and those that have been around for a while start to generalize and then assume by default that ALL New Members are the same, so the regulars immediately go on the attack.
If it's a repeat offender, then by ALL means set them straight and give them hell, but if it's a new person, give them a break and some breathing space. Welcome them and guide them around the realm. Don't take all previous frustrations from past events out on them.

DeletedUser36705

Unfortunately, 90% of proposers who didn't initially use the proper format will go on to refuse to even try to edit/correct their proposal to the proper format. Many of them get indignant about it and even engage in personal attacks. And this has been going on for months, if not years. So you tell me, how long would you stay respectful to newbies that act like that?

This has been going on since the popularization of the internet. Being disrespectful under the cloak of anonymity is not endemic to the FoE forums. I'm not saying that I would stay respectful if someone is attacking me. But It is also plain to see that some are on here every day to try to provoke those attacks. The culture of this forum is made up the members that post regularly, they set the general tone of what goes on here. You can't really be surprised that someone who has been here a day may not take the most civil approach, however, I am confounded by those who come here day after day to try to provoke new posters, who are for the most part earnest, at least until they get attacked and rejected.

Literally, from my very first question on this forum, I have felt unwelcome here, and for the most part too scared to even ask anything because guaranteed there is gonna be backlash for not knowing something!!

This is the end result of this culture. I am in complete agreement. This hostility toward new posters does not prevent other new posters from coming forward with poorly written or thought out proposals/questions, it only serves to discourage those who read the forum regularly from coming forward with their own Ideas.

DeletedUser36624

As a complete and total n00b to both the game and the forums (just passed my 100-day FoEversary, champagne is on me), I can say that I have never been criticized for being a n00b.

Graviton

The issue that I see, is that it creates a ripple effect, and those that have been around for a while start to generalize and then assume by default that ALL New Members are the same, so the regulars immediately go on the attack.

I believe this is the biggest issue. Bad Proposal/Smart-Alecky New Poster Fatigue. We've seen it so much we come to anticipate it and either come out of the gate utterly dismissive or guns blazing.

If it's a repeat offender, then by ALL means set them straight and give them hell, but if it's a new person, give them a break and some breathing space. Welcome them and guide them around the realm. Don't take all previous frustrations from past events out on them.

I agree with this 100%, I've stated similar sentiments before. I am certainly not blameless in this whole thing, I flung my share of caca for awhile, but I have been trying to be a better poster.

DeletedUser32389

Bad Proposal/Smart-Alecky New Poster Fatigue. We've seen it so much we come to anticipate it and either come out of the gate utterly dismissive or guns blazing
I agree. It's good to remember that literally none of this matters. That what you post here most likely matters to you more than anyone that reads it. This is an obscure game forum, not the UN. People need to be nicer to each other in general, but you personally (whomever you are) need to let it go. A little snark never killed anyone right? Toughen up buttercup :mad:
however, I am confounded by those who come here day after day to try to provoke new posters
Are you really though? You haven't met these people IRL? Just imagine for a second that your life is so shallow and unfulfilling that you come here (not facebook where you'll be outed) to harp on people like you own the place, with smug, self righteous comments and arrogant delusions of infallibility. I've seen their sad and lonely existences, and I can smell it on the message boards. Sometimes it makes me angry for a moment, but it quickly turns to sadness. I see connections between this kind of behavior and our current political climate. Take a lack of compassion, throw in a meagre education, mix it with a little hateful rhetoric and some xenophobia and you've got a rally! I don't know about you, but at my age, I've realized that nothing is getting done that way.

Emberguard

Literally, from my very first question on this forum, I have felt unwelcome here, and for the most part too scared to even ask anything because guaranteed there is gonna be backlash for not knowing something!!
dragonhug.gif

Emberguard

So you tell me, how long would you stay respectful to newbies that act like that?
Well, I'd hope as long as it takes. Newbies are just that - new. Tell me one instance in which retaliation has helped at all? I have yet to see it work. I have only seen it make things worse. Of course I'm not referring to rules enforcement or justice. But rather the relations between each user in response to anything said. This goes for every side involved

With your question I can't help but think of this verse:
Matthew 18:21-22 said:
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?”

22 And Jesus said unto him, “I say not unto thee, until seven times, but until seventy times seven.

Last edited:

DeletedUser36624

I figured I could find specific examples of some of what RaveWolf has been talking about by going back and looking at the threads he has been involved with, and yeah, there are problems. Posts calling others unethical or ankle biting Chihuahuas just for having a different opinion. Come on people, you can be better than that.

plinker2

Ravewolf, we really want all to feel welcome here You will find there is just a very few that always seem to be "poking" at new posters. You will soon find out who they are, if not already. Some of these are being referred to as "toxic" by others. I have even have given some warning points or their conduct.
On my part, as well as the majority of posters that do mean well, I bid you welcome. If bad comes to worse on someone's part, just click the report button and let one of us know. Once again, WELCOME to the forums!

RaveWolf

You are stating your facts and everything is done with a lot of exclamation marks.

That aggression!!!!!!

An exclamation point is a form of punctuation that is used to add emphasis or express strong emotion (especially excitement).

Agent327

Ravewolf, we really want all to feel welcome here You will find there is just a very few that always seem to be "poking" at new posters. You will soon find out who they are, if not already. Some of these are being referred to as "toxic" by others. I have even have given some warning points or their conduct.
On my part, as well as the majority of posters that do mean well, I bid you welcome. If bad comes to worse on someone's part, just click the report button and let one of us know. Once again, WELCOME to the forums!

You did notice that he has been on the forums for more than 4 years?

What magical potion did you swallow? ;)

ODragon

Yes, @Agent327 does engage in more than his share of snark (full disclosure: me, too), but when a proposal isn't in proper format, he posts this actually very helpful list:

Steps of a Proposal

Honestly, while it might be an attempt at helpfulness, it comes off more to me as Mod Impersonation (something mentioned as not allowed in the guideline rules) and a way to up ones post count. Let the mods sort it out. Maybe a specific mod who handles only the proposal section.