• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Forum Etiquette

DeletedUser

Maybe. But you wouldn't be speaking for everyone anyway.

It's still relevant since it's also about what a person is agreeing with. If we are talking about abusive or disrespectful posts, go back to them. Do they have any likes? Well...if an abusive person is well liked, and he has a lot of likes...what does this mean? There are plenty of people who say abusive people are not abusive...in their opinion. Meryl Streep defended Harvey Weinstein before going on to advance the feminist movement. Applause, lol.

I'm just saying these things are very subjective. Better to base your idea of the person on the person standing before you rather than the medals and stripes.
This is just more nonsense unless you can show someone who has a high ratio of likes AND is mostly abusive or disrespectful.

DeletedUser36326

The quote I was responding to said we...

So if that were true, that we all like every single post of every other one of us, then it is a mathematical fact that our likes to post ratio would be noticeably higher than it is.

If you take it literally for every post I guess.

But it was just a suggestion on my part so I don't know it as fact either.

DeletedUser36326

This is just more nonsense unless you can show someone who has a high ratio of likes AND is mostly abusive or disrespectful.

I think we've strayed a bit. My original point is that a person's opinion of someone- whether they have anything worth contributing to a conversation or not or whether they are worth listening to- should not be based on likes, not that likes are proof of bad people. I just mentioned that as one of the ways a person can receive likes.

I'll leave it at that.

DeletedUser36326

@cynicalsuicide how does one spite via a like??? :confused:

Perhaps not so much spite as mean-spirited, but if people are arguing or whatever and a person throws in a snide comment or some such, a person will sometimes like the comment as a way of striking. (often the snide is mixed in with the argument, but sometimes it’s pure snide...and it will be liked) Or they may like a comment when they have nothing to do with the argument simply because they see someone else “going in” on something they don’t like.

DeletedUser33179

There will always be rude people, you need to learn how to put these things in proper perspective.

... Nothing you can do but educate yourself. Some voices aren't worth being offended by

What the heck??

No voice is worth being offended by.

No one should be given a free-pass or excused for acting rude because the have a bunch of likes. That's the point of most of this discussion. Bringing "likes" into the mix is unhelpful & inaccurate.

DeletedUser32389

What the heck??

No voice is worth being offended by.

No one should be given a free-pass or excused for acting rude because the have a bunch of likes. That's the point of most of this discussion. Bringing "likes" into the mix is unhelpful & inaccurate.

You've completely missed the point.
The reason you missed the point is simple : You wont find someone with a lot of likes being consistently rude.
You can look around and prove me wrong I'm sure, but give it a try!

Nobody's getting a free pass because of likes, quite the opposite. I'm just showing you how to identify useful posters.
Everyone loves to talk about how they feel, or what they think, SHOW ME PROOF!

Show me a poster with more likes than posts trolling. I'll wait

DeletedUser32389

Bringing "likes" into the mix is unhelpful & inaccurate
Prove it. I've already proven my point. You guys may not agree, but nobody has offered any sustance for their argument.

A little challenge if I may: Find some examples of someone that has a high likes to post ratio being REALLY rude.

My proof (in case you forgot)
There will always be rude people, you need to learn how to put these things in proper perspective.
So lets find perspective shall we? First we'll click on a player at random, we'll use the last post on this thread.
sw8TyX4.png

Take note of the number of messages, and compare that to the number of likes received. 1,100 messages to 1676 likes.
This is a person you can communicate with.

Lets do another one, we'll use @Algona this time because he's one of the longest standing members (with @Stephen Longshanks )
aSRCT66.png

Starting to see a pattern...
How about these?
SpkKZlW.png

1o1rPAS.png

Note that Algona has been around YEARS longer than Agent, but only has 3k posts. Agent has been here less than a year, chimes in on everything, and is only helpful (or maybe funny) around 40% of the time. (which is actually proof he's not a true troll, just a poor communicator)

Nothing you can do but educate yourself. Some voices aren't worth being offended by

You brought them in. You are the one that needs to prove it.
So ironic that you keep chiming in. You're nature and your numbers are my proof! YOU ARE THE PROOF!!
I see you sad man, I don't even want imagine the pathetic state of your life. Men like you are too proud to seek the help you need, but I hope to God you see the light.

Get therapy, work it out. Life is too short to be miserable

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31440

Prove it. I've already proven my point. You guys may not agree, but nobody has offered any sustance for their argument.

You've got a flawed argument. The truly rude messages that you are asking for generally get deleted by the mods. Going through my post history should show plenty of aggressively rude comments, only problem is they've all been deleted or edited by mods. There are plenty of moderately rude ones, but nothing that I would consider over the top F you's to other posters though and I definitely have made more than a few of thsoe type of posts.

Edit: The only person with a higher like to post ratio than me is @Graviton with about half the total number of posts that I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaveWolf

Review of the OP's posting history shows that the OP is quick to escalate disagreements, habitually misuses the term bully to besmirch people they disagree with or don;t play as well as, and frequently insults people while quite often ignoring the contents of postings.
Please do pull out these post, as you seem to have a collection of them available somewhere, while I compile the ones where I have been polite and friendly and lets do a percentage comparison!?
Oh! and please provide a timeline for fair comparison.

quick to escalate disagreements
I like a GOOD debate, it's healthy and helps one learn, If I don't understand or get something, I will keep asking and giving my point of view until someone can set me straight if I am indeed wrong or until I can clearly understand which you can clearly see by my past posts. Please feel free to browse, my profile is not blocked, because I have nothing to hide.

No-one is perfect, and I'll be the first to state that I am far from it.
Clearly stated before your post.

In other words, the OP's history is a much stronger case for how not to be a nice poster.
Again, please share!, but do compare all of them to clearly state your fact.

Thanks for the good debate, I'm also learning a lot from this. Some of it off the thread and even from my own approach.
Clearly you never read everything.

Let me ask you what is objectively stated in that post? What is the OP asking for?
Respect!! All round!! MYSELF INCLUDED!!

As I have clearly stated, I am far from perfect... In fact, I even stated that I have learned a lot here AND on other posts. I have made my share of mistakes. Please Clearly show or state where I said or even implied that I was Perfect or without fault. I am very curious to see that post, and will give myself one hell of a reprimand. This post is directed to me too, not just everyone else... Hell, that would be arrogant.

I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I say... There are things that people don't agree with, and there are things that those same people do agree with. I may have challenged them on their reasoning, but only for clarity or perspective. What must I or anyone do if they don't understand? Must they just accept your word on what you say. Did you or anyone else go threw life without Questions!?

...but if you want to ignore the positivity of this post and the future of this forum, simply because I make mistakes and willing to admit it, and you're too proud, then that's your prerogative. I put it out there, and you can do with it what you will.
As you and everyone else here is entitled to their opinion, so am I, or is there a sign somewhere that states I or others should not be here???

I'll be damned if I will take advice on forum etiquette from someone who can post replies like the majority of those the OP posted in this thread and other places.
So regardless if the post is a just one or not, or has any good in it, you're simply going to ignore it because why... because I challenge ones reasoning or because you are now offended by a little tit-for-tat???

Agent327

Well, when you compare it to some of the terms being thrown around, it's pretty darned mild.

So the new Longshanks still is rude against others but now only in a mild way?

Boy are you a hypocrite!

Profile Page Follow Ignore

Don't think I asked you, but I do know you like to butt in on everything, so congratulations. You posted my stats.

At least one thing is sure. I do not get any fake likes.

DeletedUser31440

@RaveWolf I would consider this a good example of you escalating an arguement for no reason. I also have no doubt that you don't view it in the same light though. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/help-i-am-being-plundered.13247/page-22

This is what I see when I read that thread, at least the portion that you're involved in:

You: I understand plundering is a thing, and I understand that it isn't going to change, but it's just not fair! There should be some trap system or way for me not to get plundered.
Others: You rushed up the ages and now you are paying for it.
You: That's ridiculous.
Algona: A wolf wannabee lamb races into the wolf pack's den and is shocked when the real wolves tear them to shreads.
You: WTF!!! Why do you have to attack me? Can't I just ask a question?
Algona: I didn't, I'm just stating a fact. You're the one cursing at me.
You: This forum is horrible.

Problem here isn't that anyone was attacking you, you just didn't like their answers so you went straight to saying that they were attacking you. Most of your interactions that I've seen have played out this way.

RaveWolf

@RaveWolf I would consider this a good example of you escalating an arguement for no reason. I also have no doubt that you don't view it in the same light though. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/help-i-am-being-plundered.13247/page-22

This is what I see when I read that thread, at least the portion that you're involved in:

You: I understand plundering is a thing, and I understand that it isn't going to change, but it's just not fair! There should be some trap system or way for me not to get plundered.
Others: You rushed up the ages and now you are paying for it.
You: That's ridiculous.
Algona: A wolf wannabee lamb races into the wolf pack's den and is shocked when the real wolves tear them to shreads.
You: WTF!!! Why do you have to attack me? Can't I just ask a question?
Algona: I didn't, I'm just stating a fact. You're the one cursing at me.

Problem here isn't that anyone was attacking you, you just didn't like their answers so you went straight to saying that they were attacking you. Most of your interactions that I've seen have played out this way.

Please show a link to this... I cannot find it. Thx.

Thank you for sharing, it's much appreciated... I invite all to read that post in it's entirety for full clarity, again... I clearly admitted my faults and realized (learned) from feedback where I had gone wrong. Most of all this shared post perfectly shows the premise as to why this thread is so important.

DeletedUser31440

Please show a link to this... I cannot find it. Thx.

Post #438:
Again, I appologise that I'm not Perfect, and I appologise for being on this Forum where I clearly am unwelcome and do not belong.

I read that as you saying this forum is horrible.

DeletedUser31440

This is how I view all of this topic. People don't like being told that their ideas are bad, people don't like being told that the position they are in is due to their own errors, and people when confronted with those tend to get defensive and lash out at the people telling them those things. They aren't being attacked, they aren't being treated unfairly, they just don't have the ability to look at the situation from another perspective other than their own. Nothing is going to change that no matter how nice it would be. The point of the forum isn't to hold hands and sing Kumbaya, it's to talk about the game and figure out what you can do better and what you are doing wrong. If everyone is afraid of hurting someone else's feelings nothing is going to happen of any substance. No one likes to be on the receiving end of the abrasiveness, but that doesn't mean you don't need to hear what is being said.