• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Forum Etiquette

RaveWolf

I've been holding back and biting my tongue for a long time now, just can't hold back anymore...
I am going to be honest and up-front... I do not know if this is the correct section to post this, If not then may a Moderator kindly advise!!

Preface:
Firstly: I am not going to mention names, nor am I going to add links to anything specific.
Secondly: I am probably going to get a lot of backlash or ridiculed, most definitely from those I am not going to mention. So throw everything you have, because this is for ALL members that get bullied on this forum. I am probably going to receive comments like, "You're just looking attention", "Cry me a River",... etc... I don't care, this is not for me.
Lastly: I am going to be as *clean* as I possibly can, but know that what I say below is a lot *harsher* than what is being displayed.

Why this post:
There are a handful of members on this forum that are just absolute *nasty*. you have absolutely no respect for anyone, and I am going to be totally honest... I truly wish you could be removed or banned from commenting on any post!!

The Forum:
Definition / Meaning: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
- It's NOT a Fight Club!!'

Members (Old and New):
Members come here to learn and to ask questions... That is what the forum is for. They do not come here to be ridiculed or ripped apart for asking a question for not knowing something... Just because they have been playing for 3, 4 or 5yrs... does not mean that they understand EVERY SINGLE part of the game. I saw one comment saying that the person had done initial training, so they "must" know how it works... REALLY... How disgusting of you!!! Maybe they simply hadn't played that part of the game, but only now decided to do so. Funny enough that is what was the final straw for me, as that is the same reason I looked it up after 3yrs of playing and all I saw was a full on verbal attack to a simple question...

Why are you Bullies on these forums??? To help? or do you just come here to get some kind of kick out of attacking everyone???
Seriously, Moderators need to step up against these Forum Bullies.

SO WHAT if a member has been playing for a couple of years,
(Not everyone plays every part of the game)

SO WHAT
if they haven't gone through all the rules,
(Some people are new to the forum and may have simply not seen the rules. Just send them the link and request that they read it first)

SO WHAT
if they have done the training,
(Just because someone has done the training a year or 2 back or even a few months back, does not mean that they remember it all)

SO WHAT
if it's already on the DNSL,
(Simply direct them to the DNSL with a link to it)

SO WHAT
if they have a Guild, Friends or Chat to ask,
(Not everyone is willing to help, and those that are available at the time may not know themselves. Also, that is what the forums are for)

SO WHAT if it's a stupid question,
(Just because the answer is simple and obvious to you, does not mean that it's the same for them)

SO WHAT if they "Should" know,
(This is relative and a stupid statement in any argument)

SO WHAT if they don't follow the Guidelines,
(Not everyone knows, or is even aware of the Guidelines. Have you ever read the EULA on any of the applications that you have installed?
SO WHAT if they don't follow the correct process,
(Simply direct them to the Process method with a link to it - It's that simple. No backlash necessary!!)
SO WHAT if they don't follow the correct format.
(Again Simply direct them to the Format thread with a link to it)
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the people that come on to these forums do so for a genuine reason and not to troll the threads, but I'm 100% certain that they do not come here to be verbally abused.

Get off your high horses...
If you want to assist people then please by all means do so, in a respectful manner.
We are here to guide each other, Simple!!

PLEASE!! ENOUGH with verbal abuse and unnecessary attacks on ALL Members and their respective questions!!
Keep the fighting on the Games battlefields and NOT within the Forums!!

Thank you, and Forge On!!

Last edited:

DeletedUser31440

You should remove your blurb about the mods and forum bullies, could be construed as mod bashing.

RaveWolf

You should remove your blurb about the mods and forum bullies, could be construed as mod bashing.

It's not Mod bashing at all!! The Mods are doing as they're instructed, and have a process to follow, but their hands are also tied and they are limited to the amount of control they have, and they also can't maintain each and every thread... They're individuals like you and me, without any ties to the company itself.

DeletedUser31440

It's not Mod bashing at all!! The Mods are doing as they're instructed, and have a process to follow, but their hands are also tied and they are limited to the amount of control they have, and they also can't maintain each and every thread... They're individuals like you and me, without any ties to the company itself.

Just because you don't view it as mod bashing doesn't make any difference. If they do they will close the thread, just giving you a heads up.

DeletedUser31440

Seriously, Moderators need to step up against these Forum Bullies.

Looks like mod bashing instead of bully bashing to me, but what do I know, I just get accused of the same thing almost weekly.

DeletedUser31440

I'm really not surprised that you were one of the first to comment!!

And I'm not surprised that you're trying to turn this away from me just trying to help you not get your thread closed.

DeletedUser31440

Your just turning into what it's no to take the attention away from bullies like yourself!!

Yeah, that's why I didn't just report the post to try and get it taken down since it's such a threat to my continued existence on these forums.

Edit: Spelling

DeletedUser

The problem with your whole premise is that most of the solutions you propose are already being done. Almost every unformatted proposal is answered with a link to the proposal guidelines. @Agent327 even lays out the entire process they should follow to do it right. Honest questions usually get helpful answers. All this happens initially. Then, about 75-80% of the time, those responses are met with either personal attacks or a disrespectful discounting of the wisdom of the answer. So, tell us what your solution to that is.

RaveWolf

Doesn't that make you a Bully?
It was a "Tongue in Cheek" reply!!

Yeah, that's why I didn't just report the post to try and get it taken down since it's such a threat to my continued existence on these forums.

Edit: Spelling
I did that for a reason!! YOU'RE just proving my point!!

The problem with your whole premise is that most of the solutions you propose are already being done. Almost every unformatted proposal is answered with a link to the proposal guidelines. @Agent327 even lays out the entire process they should follow to do it right. Honest questions usually get helpful answers. All this happens initially. Then, about 75-80% of the time, those responses are met with either personal attacks or a disrespectful discounting of the wisdom of the answer. So, tell us what your solution to that is.
I can agree to some of what you're saying, but from my own observation, the majority are first met with attacks and insults before any actual advise is given.

DeletedUser29726

This reads as a rant more than a guide. Probably should be moved to forge hall.

If people would actually read it a guide on civility on the forum isn't a terrible idea ;) But the right people either wouldn't read it or would ignore it.

DeletedUser36705

Thanks for your post Ravewolf, I agree with you, and think it certainly takes more courage to put this out there than it does to troll relentlessly or be hypercritical of a new player. Kudos, you deserve respect.

DeletedUser

I can agree to some of what you're saying, but from my own observation, the majority are first met with attacks and insults before any actual advise is given.
And I respectfully disagree. Countless times I have given reasoned responses to proposals only to be insulted and attacked. I have given relevant and informed responses to questions only to be attacked simply because the answer wasn't convenient for the questioner. Yes, there are some frequent posters that immediately resort to demeaning replies, but overall they are in the minority.

DeletedUser36705

@Agent327 even lays out the entire process they should follow to do it right. Honest questions usually get helpful answers. All this happens initially. Then, about 75-80% of the time, those responses are met with either personal attacks or a disrespectful discounting of the wisdom of the answer.

You can't be serious about this Stephen, virtually the way it always goes is agent says something mean and snarky and provokes the poster. I'll agree that the OPs don't always handle it well, but if you think that they are getting a warm or helpful reception from him (and others), I'd encourage you to re-examine that thought.

Edit: By the way Stephen, i'm not accusing you of being one of those folks, I am just arguing with you because you are one of the only people worth arguing with :)

Last edited by a moderator: