1. Changelog 1.161

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.161 will take place on Wed, Sept 18, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Fountain of Youth Shrink Kit

Discussion in 'Closed / Archived' started by 1Maven, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Maven

1Maven New Member

Proposal
    Fountain of Youth Shrink Kit (upgrade) that functions the same as the existing Wishing Well Shrink Kit (upgrade).

Current System (if applicable)
    Only Wishing Well Shrink Kit (upgrade) exists. There is no equivalent for Fountain of Youth an identical building, except Fountain of Youth received from Guild Expedition.

Details
    It is inconsistent to have one and not the other. There should be a way to upgrade the Fountain of Youth like the Wishing Well.

ALTERNATIVE 1: existing Wishing Well Shrink Kit should also work on Fountain of Youth. Possibly renamed to reflect this new feature.

ALTERNATIVE 2: Functionally differentiate Fountain of Youth Shrink Kit by making resulting upgrade 2x3 instead of 3x2.

Abuse Prevention
    No avenues for abuse that open with this proposal that do not already exist with existing Wishing Well Shrink Kit (upgrade).

Visual Aids
    none.

Conclusion
    Fountain of Youth should not be less valuable than Wishing Well. Without the ability to upgrade.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. RazorbackPirate

RazorbackPirate Well-Known Member

I can understand this on the surface, but whether or not this is truly needed, for me, has to do with how prevalent the WW shrink kit becomes. If they don't show up outside of events, remain special, then I don't see the need to have one for the Fountain of Youth. However, If they start to show up in DC, are easily won and become commonplace, like a One-Up or Renovation Kit, then yes. FoY should have one too.

I would not support having the WW shrink Kit also work on a FoY turning it into a Little Wishing Well. FoY was created to be unique for GE, it should remain unique after shrinking.

So, this proposal gets a maybe from me. It's too soon to tell.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Titris Thrawns likes this.
  3. wolfhoundtoo

wolfhoundtoo Well-Known Member

I believe Inno excluded the fountain of youth on purpose not as some kind of oversite on their part. The fountain of youths you have up to 64 chances a week to win that as a prize. By keeping it to the Wishing Well players then have motivation to try and win wishing wells since they can now fit the in a smaller space.

4. Agent327

Agent327 Well-Known Member

We just had our first shrink kit. Should we now propose shrink kits for every building?

Stupid and premature.

5. Salsuero

Salsuero Well-Known Member

They are not identical. One is called a Wishing Well. The other is called a Fountain of Youth. The artwork is different. They are won in very different ways. One is much rarer than the other. You would choose to cheapen the value of the shrink kit... a brand new, just released concept... to Inno because you think that, since they are functionally identical, they should be given equal treatment. They already aren't given equal treatment since the Fountain of Youth is very easy to win by playing GE on a regular basis. Complete level 4 regularly and you'll soon be swimming in them. I have 16 of them vs. 6 of the Wishing Well, and that's even with the Fountain of Youth having been a part of the game for somewhere around only half the time I've been playing it AND with the Wishing Well originally being a GE reward before the introduction of the Fountain of Youth. And, in fact, with the Fountain of Youth's introduction, I've stopped trying to win Wishing Wells because I don't need them. Now look what that shortsightedness has potentially cost me... and that's how it should be. They quite literally just made Wishing Wells valuable and worth having again after making them essentially redundant upon releasing the Fountain of Youth. I vote emphatically NO!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    heybo, KungQu and Jern2017 like this.
  6. KungQu

KungQu Well-Known Member

No

Salsuero likes this.
  7. freshmeboy

freshmeboy Well-Known Member

NO vote here...INNO just increased the value of the WWs by 33%..probably in an effort to keep their status as a valuable prize. Perhaps they realized the FoY cheapened that value and this is their balancing act. My crystal ball sees more shrink kit proposals in the future.....

8. RazorbackPirate

RazorbackPirate Well-Known Member

Mine too.

upload_2018-7-8_19-18-44.jpeg

Signs point to yes.

9. Bbarrat

Bbarrat New Member

I vote strongly yes for this one but I think it should be a 2x3 instead of 3x2 like the wishing well. That’ll keep them different from each other

jf2k, Titris Thrawns and THEKYLe like this.
  10. 1Seeker

1Seeker New Member

Yes! Like Bbarrat's idea, too.

11. Volodya

Volodya Well-Known Member

I vote no. Useful innovations like store buildings and reno/one-up kits were originally hard to come by, but now they give them out like candy. I have more of all of them than I'll ever use. It'd be nice to see something in the game remain genuinely rare and desirable. This proposal if implemented would presumably make shrink kits twice as common just on its face, but it wouldn't even stop there. The next "it's only logical!!" demand would be to make the fountain shrink kits available as GE prizes since after all that's where the fountains themselves come from. Next thing you know people would be demanding "better" GE prizes instead of the "junk" fountain shrink kits cluttering up their inventory.

On second thought, change my no vote to nonono.

Salsuero, Titris Thrawns and KungQu like this.
  12. Titris Thrawns

Titris Thrawns Well-Known Member

What they said, except my unique snowflake structure has me leaning a little on the yes side of the maybe fence.

I also like second @Bbarrat 's idea of " 2x3 instead of 3x2" in conjunction with Razor's idea of separate upgrades (depending on availability and while supplies last, see your local retailer for details). Maximum Unique FLAVOR!

13. BruteForceAttack

BruteForceAttack Well-Known Member

+1. It should have worked on both in the first place.

14. tazzmaniac666

tazzmaniac666 Active Member

This proposal doesn't do anything to increase the frequency of shrink kits. That's INNO's decision.

I'd support the proposal if it is update to be a single shrink kit that works on WWs or FOYs but maintains their uniqueness like @Bbarrat suggested.

Titris Thrawns likes this.
  15. Salsuero

The Shrink Kit made the Wishing Well significant again after rendering it practically uninteresting and nearly pointless to spend effort in obtaining when they released the Fountain of Youth, given how easy it was enabled to be acquired compared to Wishing Wells. It made wanting and thus trying to obtain Wishing Wells relevant again to both the players and Inno's bottom line. Making the Shrink Kit apply to the Fountain of Youth completely undoes this. It's a stupid idea if you actually want the Wishing Wells to be special again. If you just support watering everything down, then I can see why you'd support this proposal.

Obtaining Shrink Kits is special by itself, but only as special as being able to apply them to something. I have tons of Fountains of Youth, so getting more Shrink Kits would become immediately valuable to me. But with them only applying to Wishing Wells, having them means nothing until I actually obtain the very special building they apply to (as opposed to the very easily-obtained one).

It also gives the long-term players who spent time, effort, and in some cases money, something special for the Wishing Wells they earned/bought before they were made very unspecial with the release of the Fountain of Youth. You can't say I'm biased in their favor either, because I'm not one of them. I just don't see that as a negative either. I haven't been playing as long as they have... and I see no reason why I should automatically have everything they have gifted to me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    KungQu, Graviton and icarusethan like this.
  16. Orius Maximus

Orius Maximus Well-Known Member

This.

The GE buildings (not counting the decos which are pretty good for decos, but annoyingly common) tend to have disadvantages compared to the originals they're based on:
    • Ritual Flames are 2x1 compared to the Watchfire with the same defense bonus of 2 Watchfires. This makes them harder to place in unused spaces in the city.
    • Sacred Sky Watches have a 3x2 footprint compared to the SoK's 2x2. This makes them 50% bigger and harder to place with a rectangular footprint rather than a square.
    • The Terrace Farm is 5x6 compared to the Bazaar's 5x4, making it 50% bigger. And while it does have that hefty 5 FP or 10 goods production, it's the biggest special building in the game and requires more workers than the Bazaar.
    These disadvantages are something of a balancing factor given how many of these buildings can be picked up on a weekly basis. The potential of a WW to be reduced in size by 33% gives it an advantage over the FoY.

Stephen Longshanks and Graviton like this.
  17. tazzmaniac666

I understand your point but I've only been playing for a year so I don't have a history of WWs being special. With the frequency of events, WWs are pretty easy to obtain. In my main city, I picked up 6 WWs in the summer event even though my focus was on getting Sunken Treasures. As it is now, there is no reason to choose a FOY over a WW. As I said earlier, I'd only support this proposal the different orientation for the FOY (2x3 vs 3x2). The game has plenty of buildings that are the same but just have different orientations. So the proposal is in-line with that aspect of the game.

I do like the idea of uniqueness though. Maybe Inno should start offering more enhancement upgrades for buildings but with different enhancements. Maybe the FOY upgrade doesn't change the size but produces 100 diamonds instead of 50 for WW (Inno probably wouldn't go for that). The enhancements would probably become very desirable and add some variability.

18. wolfhoundtoo

wolfhoundtoo Well-Known Member

Wishing wells aren't that easy to obtain in the sheer numbers that a player who is running a 'farming' world desires. if you only want a few in your city sure then you won't have that much of a problem obtaining a few if you are around for a few events. For those that want to diamond farm heavily then the advantage of a WW is now that it can be 'shrunk' if you've obtained the shrink kits. Your premise that there is no reason to place a fountain rather than a wishing well presumes that you have all the wishing wells you want (and 6 isn't much for a farmer) and that you have all of the shrink kits that you want. There is nothing lost or gain by placing a fountain over a wishing well if you don't have the shrink kit. The fountains main advantage is the sheer number of them you will acquire after a decent time spent doing GE with a Temple of Relics.

The shrink kit doesn't make the fountain worth less to most players...….but only to those players that spent a fair bit of diamonds to obtain wishing wells and shrink kits. It's clearly meant to be a boost for those type of players to spend money on the game.

Titris Thrawns and Salsuero like this.
  19. tazzmaniac666

Didn't say 6 WWs was a lot for a farmer but I was focused on Sunken Treasure. If my focus was on WWs, I probably could have gotten a dozen or so. In my main city and its inventory, I'm actually even with about 15 each of WWs and FOYs and I've been doing GE4 routinely since December. I'd be happy to be able to shrink my FOYs to get some city space back but I'm fine with it as is too.

20. Salsuero

Right. You don't have a dozen or so because you weren't focused on them in favor of something else. But if you were needing them, considering the newly-added benefit of them having come up with something that could make them 2/3 the original size, you might have focused on them... and lost out on the something else. You chose the something else. And the fact remains, you could do so because it's actually easy to win Fountains of Youth and not easy to win Wishing Wells UNLESS you focus on winning them during events, which means you won't be focused on winning all those something elses. Fountains of Youth made it so you can focus on something else during events. But now with the Shrink Kit, it makes people consider a different focus that they wouldn't have had to based on the fact the Wishing Wells were rendered irrelevant by the release of the duplicative Fountain of Youth. I was able to add two more Wishing Wells to my town because of space savings gained by the Shrink Kit. But I had to win those additional Wishing Wells to gain that benefit... something I had stopped doing due to having 18 Fountains of Youth in my inventory. Had I been able to use those Shrink Kits on those, I wouldn't have had to win the Wishing Wells... and could've focused on something else. That would have meant that winning Wishing Wells would've basically been pointless for me (and many others) -- as they have been until the Shrink Kit. I feel like they "killed" the Wishing Well on accident and didn't really think about it until after the fact. I feel this is absolutely a valid and even smart way to bring Wishing Wells back to life. Leave the Fountains of Youth as-is. If you wanna build 'em, they're plentiful, but you gotta make room. Wishing Wells are harder to get, but you can make use of more of them if you can also get the Shrink Kits. That's a fair trade-off in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.