• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Get your first two great buildings in less than a month

Algona

The "it" is the entirety of camping in the BA.

Glarg was my first mentor,and while he taught ma lot about how to play the game, more importantly he helped me crystallize my attitude and philosophy about the game and the forum.

BW, while i had nothing to do with him creating his original idea about staying in BA to get GBs, I am one of the posters who asked Glarg to formalize it and write this Guide.

So yeah, I have an understanding of the "entirety" of Glarging Heh, i even coined the term Glarging.

----------

You took this quote way out of context:

Trying to explain it to a n00b? I can't write that, I don't have any experience with extended camping in BA, and I don't have the theoretical knowledge to predict how to do it, nor has anyone shared details and techniques of extended BA camping.

We were discussing how to complete an Event while in BA. Think about it. Write a Guide that will get n00bs through all Events each different in play and Quests? .

----------

Guild hopping/jumping is actually secondary to learning/understanding RQ looping.

From then on it's about acquiring the BPs for the GB(s) that the player desires

Which you can only get by Guild Hopping. Secondary to farming RQs? It's half the reason to stay in BA after getting your two BA GBs. RQ farming for Resources is more efficient in BA and Guild Hopping for advanced Era BPs supports more RQs when done in BA.

Your choice on what you do with your city, but I don't think dismissing either of those two is a good idea, they work so y well together. You only get half the pie if you're not doing both.

I know you are doing both, but the first of those two quotes sounds like you are dismissing Guild Hopping wjicj is a bad thing to do in this Guide.

----------

As is explained in Cosmic Ravens article on HQS, Heavy Questing Strategy.

Yeah. Who is the first person other then CR to post in that Guide?

----------

And, that's part of what is needed to be known. How many supply buildings are needed for each age for RQ looping to be a true benefit?

Great question, but I can't answer that. I don't do RQs in any city except at the start of a new Era to farm the Diamonds. I find it tedious, gave it up years ago as a methid for Resource production.

My most recent startup is nothing but military, designed to fight GE and GBG. The rest of my city is crammed with Goods and FP producing SBs. The treasures form those SBs and fighting GE 64 and GBG dwarfs the production I could get from using the space for HQS.

BUT! You may find differently. I'd like to hear the results of what you are doing.

Last edited:

Orb of 0

guide to extended BA camping
That is a great title.
I use the screen keyboard. This fact tends to enhance my ability for miscommunication. Plus... The wireless and my Kindle are enemies, hence many of my replies are dumped into the underbelly of the internet...

I am not questioning your knowledge on any aspect of FOE... The two comments that you linked above, reminded me that it was you who I've been following, not Glarg... I stop Glarging with the construction of Zeus...
You already wrote The Guild to Extended BA Camping... You cover a lot of territory in your comments... As far as I know, it's a guide within a guide.
IMO... It needs to be copied into it's own guide.

My post for Day 29 doesn't belong here. It belongs in the comment section of your guild. That is what I was doing... The Algonian Method of city foundation building/construction. And, I didn't know it was the The Algonian Method of city foundation building/construction when I was doing it because I forgot that it was you I was following... It's only logical that it should be named after you... And, I do realize that it's a bit premature in naming it The Algonian Method of city foundation building/construction seeing as how you don't have a guide...
Orb

unless you do have a separate guide somewhere... do you?

Algona

I appreciate like hell the sentiment, but Glarg is the genius here. I just took it one step further. I can;t claim any ownership to a system that wouldn't exist if Glarg had not come up with and published his technique.

This Guide is a 4 year work in progress because the game keeps changing. Call it my way of partially paying back my debt to Glarg for helping me.

I think stories of what happens next belong in this thread. It's what I and others have done. It helps folks trying this out for the first time see solid results. Stories can also expose weaknesses that may not show up for a long time. More importantly each story leaves a hint, a clue, an idea of how to improve Glarging.

That's important! After all,we're still working on this :D

Last edited:

Orb of 0

I think stories of what happens next belong in this thread. It's what I and others have done. It helps folks trying this out for the first time see solid results. Stories can also expose weaknesses that may not show up for a long time. More importantly each story leaves a hint, a clue, an idea of how to improve Glarging.
Okay... :) I consider myself a noob. I started this game days before the Halloween event started... and yes, I can be quite obtuse... and, although I disagree with you on the issue of a separate guide, it is up to you not others...
I point as many players to this guide as I can because I consider Glarging to be the best method for starting a new city. I've screamed through the tech trees of the ages and ended up in HMA with only the Oracle. With this method... My current EMA city, I won't need a BP until the Colonial Age. I have constructed Zeus, LoA, Traz, CF, CdM, and the Capitol. The CoA will be constructed by the end of this week. A strong foundation is what is needed more than anything else in this game.

Next issue... I read your statement about Events being difficult in the BA, and I thought,:oops:...
"Wait a second here... I'm in the BA and doing the Event. I'm not having any problems. And, I did the last Event in BA, and I have MY level 8 bridge..." in the city we've been talking about :D...
Well, I finally got to the dailies, and when I checked on forgeofempires.fandom.com today to see what quest is next....... :eek: "Complete the first level of GE or Defeat this VERY LARGE army." ... Hahaha, is this Guy ever wrong?"
Can it be done? Yes, at a heavy price from what I recall. But then, whatever I recall now is always in question. ;)
Orb

Algona

Of course Glarging is the best fast start Guide. Of course it's also the only fast start Guide.

The sad part is that it is tough to catch new players and get them to try it.

Got any ideas on how to do that?

s this Guy ever wrong?

All the time.

One of the things I seem to be doing a lot lately is looking back over 5 years on this forum and in game and seeing parallels and cycles in the game.

Maundering if you will.

The cycle(?) here is that when i first started Events were kinda tough. No alternative Quests, Scout a Province, Acquire a Province, Research a Technology were in every Event. Uphill, both ways!

INNO spent a couple years refining Events. They stopped Historical Events got rid of the bad 3 Quests, started giving alternates, and simplified a lot of aspects of the Events.

But this last year there have been a few indications that Events are getting tougher. Harder to complete without Diamonds, harder Quests (from a BA perspective), ever more complex minigames.

Throw in the fighting in BA is tough. If you don't conserve CMap it eventually becomes impossible.

A cycle? A parallel? Coincidence? Intentional by INNO or just sloopy design? I dunno.

[/maundering]

Lady Gato

First I want to thank @Glarg and @Algona for creating and continuing to add to this thread. I am one of those Noobs that you are writing for. I just started the game but almost ALMOST had finished (I thought) with BA when I ran across this guide. I mean I just have 2 FP to pay to finish research for paths (which is the last research I have in BA). I had been battling away with provinces and was halfway thru Paruuch when I found this guide & discovered that I need to stop. I only have 1 GB (which I haven't even leveled up to a one yet) and just a few BP for Babel and one BP for Zeus (these I gained during the Archaeology Event). I aborted several of the optional quests and found that I hadn't lost out on the RC - so I am just trying to see what I need to do to get my supplies up. I have 4 out of 5 military units - will be adding another warrior barracks tomorrow. I have not built a Thrower Camp - is that wrong? Should I have a Thrower Camp but not a slinger camp? I have several blacksmiths but no where near the 30 that Algona stated he had. Should I keep building these or should I get rid of the blacksmiths and build another pottery and 5 fruit farms? I am pretty much out of space so I would be tearing some stuff down. And what about guild hopping? I am in Tuulech - I cannot see on the global/global ranking/guilds list of guilds where it states which guilds have the auto join. On ForgeDB when you look at each guild it states whether the guild is auto join or invitation. Is this information only available on FOE site when you are not already part of a guild? Whew! I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with my Noob questions.

DreadfulCadillac

First I want to thank @Glarg and @Algona for creating and continuing to add to this thread. I am one of those Noobs that you are writing for. I just started the game but almost ALMOST had finished (I thought) with BA when I ran across this guide. I mean I just have 2 FP to pay to finish research for paths (which is the last research I have in BA). I had been battling away with provinces and was halfway thru Paruuch when I found this guide & discovered that I need to stop. I only have 1 GB (which I haven't even leveled up to a one yet) and just a few BP for Babel and one BP for Zeus (these I gained during the Archaeology Event). I aborted several of the optional quests and found that I hadn't lost out on the RC - so I am just trying to see what I need to do to get my supplies up. I have 4 out of 5 military units - will be adding another warrior barracks tomorrow. I have not built a Thrower Camp - is that wrong? Should I have a Thrower Camp but not a slinger camp? I have several blacksmiths but no where near the 30 that Algona stated he had. Should I keep building these or should I get rid of the blacksmiths and build another pottery and 5 fruit farms? I am pretty much out of space so I would be tearing some stuff down. And what about guild hopping? I am in Tuulech - I cannot see on the global/global ranking/guilds list of guilds where it states which guilds have the auto join. On ForgeDB when you look at each guild it states whether the guild is auto join or invitation. Is this information only available on FOE site when you are not already part of a guild? Whew! I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with my Noob questions.
luckily, you can research those paths.
because you dont advance in era until you FINISH a technology of the next era. So unless paths is a iron era tech(im not sure) your good to go.

BruteForceAttack

Now that you have stopped the map, what do you do with all the military barracks? I'd get rid of the barracks and put more blacksmiths. As long as you have unlocked smithery you should be able to see join guild option.

Maybe try and post pic of your city and tech tree.

Lady Gato

Since I am a Noob - if I get rid of my barracks what do I use for attacking if I get an attack recurring quest? And what do I use for attacking/defense when I enter into IA? Oh I forgot to mention that I am in a two person guild - again I was almost finished with BA when I found the glarging guide. And please note that my set up of the city is a little unorganized compared to a lot of people's cities. LOL

BAbefore.jpgTechBAbefore.jpg
MOD EDIT: Too large image(s), spoiler tags added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

Since I am a Noob - if I get rid of my barracks what do I use for attacking if I get an attack recurring quest? And what do I use for attacking/defense when I enter into IA? Oh I forgot to mention that I am in a two person guild - again I was almost finished with BA when I found the glarging guide. And please note that my set up of the city is a little unorganized compared to a lot of people's cities. LOL

I'm giving advice, feel free to disregard or ask questions, the advice I give is based on the concept that you want to stay in BA to stockpile Resources and acquire and level Zeus and or Babel and get BPs for other GBs.

There are no RQs for attacking. There is a set of RQs you can do recruiting troops You'll only want one Speathrower and two slinger camps for that. Aek if you want to do this and need directions on how to do it. You won;t do any more fighting until you get into IA, and when you do go into IA you will wantto use IA Barracks to proide troops. Therfore you don;t need any other BA barracks.

Generic city advice. Place further Expansion in a sqaure or rectangular pattern to the left and down, Avoid tentacles and strings of Expansions.

Minimize roads, the easiest technique is called a comb pattern. Put your TH in the upper right corner. Run a road to the left from the TH to the left edge of the city, distance 2, 3, or 4 riles from the top top edge I prefer 3 personally, that road is the 'handle' of the comb. Place a road running from the TH to the bottom of the of the city, 2, 3, or 4 tiles , away from the right side of the city. Then place parallel roads 4,5,6 spaces apart from the comb handle road to the bottom of the city, these are the 'teeth' of the comb. Then fit buildings into the comb pattern such that a building touches one road only except at handle teeth intersections.

More generic advice, when you do decide to move into IA I recommend finding a large Guild that works with and teachs low Era players.

Assuming you want to stay in BA, you need to start grinding two different techniques, RQs and Guild Hopping.

Most efficient way to Grind RQs is do one set (1 spearthrower, 2 Slinfer Barracks) to do that troop recruiting RQ and the rest of your city pairs of Vlacksmiths to do the 2 Helmet RQ. with just enough Housing to support the Blacksmiths and Barracks.

Since the majority of Coins and Suplies will come from RQs and Guild Hopping, you won't need Culture Buildings or Decos, Happiness is unimportant.

If you go back to the two posts I linked in post 321 at the top of the page you will get detailed inof on how nest to manage Guild Hopping and farming RQs.

Post any questions, someone will be along to give advice eventually. I apologize for any errors in this post, I'm under the gun today.

Good luck!

Lady Gato

I'm giving advice, feel free to disregard or ask questions, the advice I give is based on the concept that you want to stay in BA to stockpile Resources and acquire and level Zeus and or Babel and get BPs for other GBs.

There are no RQs for attacking. There is a set of RQs you can do recruiting troops You'll only want one Speathrower and two slinger camps for that. Aek if you want to do this and need directions on how to do it. You won;t do any more fighting until you get into IA, and when you do go into IA you will wantto use IA Barracks to proide troops. Therfore you don;t need any other BA barracks.

Generic city advice. Place further Expansion in a sqaure or rectangular pattern to the left and down, Avoid tentacles and strings of Expansions.

Minimize roads, the easiest technique is called a comb pattern. Put your TH in the upper right corner. Run a road to the left from the TH to the left edge of the city, distance 2, 3, or 4 riles from the top top edge I prefer 3 personally, that road is the 'handle' of the comb. Place a road running from the TH to the bottom of the of the city, 2, 3, or 4 tiles , away from the right side of the city. Then place parallel roads 4,5,6 spaces apart from the comb handle road to the bottom of the city, these are the 'teeth' of the comb. Then fit buildings into the comb pattern such that a building touches one road only except at handle teeth intersections.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Here's my first attempt of rearranging my city. I haven't deleted anything yet, just rearranged. I don't think I've quite got it (the best arrangement) - but I will keep working on it. I will be deleting my warrior barracks, my horseman barracks and adding a 2nd slinger barracks. I will be deleting the decorations, the memorials, and the stone circle? Will I also be deleting the tavern? What about my pottery, my vineyard, my lumbermill, my stone mason, and my marble mason? If so I am assuming that the BA goods you say to store up in your other posts are obtained by trading? But what will I be trading if I have no goods to trade with? (Told you I was a Noob).

Again thank you and the others who have helped me understand (or begin to understand) this game.

BAafter.JPG

Algona

Looks great! You'll find the basic comb technique will suit you well for a long time. it makes organizing upgrading, and remodeling your city a lot easier.

As for the rest of my advice, follow it only if you are going to grind Quild Hopping and farming Helmet and Soldier RQs for at least a week or two if not longer.

Yes, you get rid of everything but Housing, Blcksmiths, and the 3 Barracks, and the Oracle. Since you will be selfleveling your Oracle until you get other GBs, it may provide enough Happiness, but don't worry if it doesn't, you don't need it.

Doing the RQs pays off in Coins, Supplies, Goods, Diamonds (nce per each different RQ), Medals, BPs, and FPs. The FPs go to into your Inventory as 5 FP packs, leave them there, do not spend them, your daily 24 FPs is more then enough for now.

You should be able to do enough RQs per day to make plenty of Goods. Say 50 - 75 per day.

Be forewarned, it's going to be a boring 2+ weeks. Unless you are the kind of person that enjoys farming RQs in which case you'll be in hog heaven doing more RQs in BA then you will until you get to HMA.

If you go back to the two posts I linked in post 321 at the top of the page you will get detailed info on how nest to manage Guild Hopping and farming RQs.

Any questions?

----------

my vineyard, my lumbermill, my stone mason, and my marble mason

I wanted to address this separately. Until you reach Modern Era, you'll get access to 2 Boosted Goods sources from the CMap for each Era. You'll only want to build Goods Buildings that are boosted, they produce 5x as many Goods as unboosted. Look for a green checkmark in the Goods Building description in the build menu, the game will warn you if you try ot build unboosted Goods Buildings.

Lady Gato

Looks great! You'll find the basic comb technique will suit you well for a long time. it makes organizing upgrading, and remodeling your city a lot easier.

[snip]

Doing the RQs pays off in Coins, Supplies, Goods, Diamonds (nce per each different RQ), Medals, BPs, and FPs. The FPs go to into your Inventory as 5 FP packs, leave them there, do not spend them, your daily 24 FPs is more then enough for now.

[snip]

If you go back to the two posts I linked in post 321 at the top of the page you will get detailed info on how nest to manage Guild Hopping and farming RQs.

Any questions?

----------

I wanted to address this separately. Until you reach Modern Era, you'll get access to 2 Boosted Goods sources from the CMap for each Era. You'll only want to build Goods Buildings that are boosted, they produce 5x as many Goods as unboosted. Look for a green checkmark in the Goods Building description in the build menu, the game will warn you if you try ot build unboosted Goods Buildings.

Yes Unfortunately I have used some diamonds I gained during a previous RQ and FP I gained also -- I know now not to use the FP from RQ but to store them- but go ahead and use the daily FPs. The diamonds I used was for a land expansion. I keep re-reading the posts you made specifically about Guild hopping and RQ, I have been busy rearranging and tear down/rebuilding so I am sure I will have more questions once I begin. I plan on spending at least one week testing this strategy then may continue for another week or so if I can "take" it. As to your last suggestion, I did have some goods buildings that I built in spite of the "do you really want to do this" warning - I have since demolished those as well and I added secondary goods buildings related to my deposits so I can have more to trade for the other goods items for BA.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice.

Algona

Unfortunately

Unfortunate is a strong word. There's very little in this game that can't be fixed with knowledge, patience, and effort.

The diamonds I used was for a land expansion.

That's no mistake, that's good play. .Expansions are the very best use for Diamonds.

I have since demolished those as well and I added secondary goods buildings related to my deposits so I can have more to trade for the other goods items for BA.

Fair enough. I think you get a lot more bang for the buck with Blacksmiths between space and pop then Goods Buildings, but the difference can't be that large.

One note that needs some emphasis. Stock up a lot of BA Goods before moving to IA.

Traditional wisdom was that you could go into Iron Age, make IA Goods and trade them down for BA Goods.

GBG changed that. IA players need a lot of BA Goods for GBG negotiating and that has really shrunk the supply of BA Goods in the market.

I don't know how that will affect your trading strategy, I'm looking forward to hearing about it from you.

UBERhelp1

LOL good to know

How many of BA goods? I've seen some say 100 each of BA goods; others say 250 each.
I would say a lot. Depends how long you plan on staying in IA and whether you prefer fighting or negotiating. If you negotiate, you'll need more. Also, don't forget the costs of technology in terms of goods. I always like to have enough previous era goods on hand so that when I want to advance, I can.

Lady Gato

I would say a lot. Depends how long you plan on staying in IA and whether you prefer fighting or negotiating. If you negotiate, you'll need more. Also, don't forget the costs of technology in terms of goods. I always like to have enough previous era goods on hand so that when I want to advance, I can.
Makes sense. Thanks :)