• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Get your first two great buildings in less than a month

DeletedUser31392

I started two cities at once. One following this guide as exactly as possible, another building a well rounded city as I normally would. (Well rounded meaning 2 of each goods building I had a boost for, some military, some supply buildings, some houses, etc...) All buildings serviced by roads. I did guild-hop, because that early on, it is hard to be effective in GE or GvG, and Guild Hopping can set you up for success down the road. I did not rely on 24-hour recurring supply quests. I did not build a SoZ in either city, so I'm not exactly sure which city COULD have gotten two GBs first. However, my well rounded city ended up with the LOA and TOB two days before the one using this method (13 days for well-rounded, 15 days for this method). I kept the experiment up for a month. My 'well-rounded' city had far more supplies, comparable goods*, comparable coins. The big difference- I had way, way more FPs in my inventory in my 'well-rounded' city, because I pushed it to the Iron Age and started contributing to Great Buildings for rewards. (We are talking over 300 FPs stored up compared to just the 50 or so I earned from quests.)

So, the method worked. Effectiveness would vary based on playing style.

*Regarding the comparable goods- the city using the method outlined in the guide had far more Bronze Age goods. The goods were also much more 'even', requiring less trading. My well-rounded city had more Iron Age goods, and less Bronze Age goods. The goods tended to be more lopsided, favoring the ones I had supply buildings for. Overall total goods were about the same, with my method being slightly less. But if I were to trade the IA goods down, since the rate would be 2:1, I would have ended up with more.

Interesting result. A question about it though. You said that in the experiment city that you used Guild hopping early on. How long did you continue to do so, and did you keep it equal/greater than/less than the Glarg/Algona method? I could see how this could skew results if the IA city used this method more than the BA city. The BA city method relies on using the 24hr productions in conjunction with Guild Hopping all day long. If you were to take the take out of your day to focus more on the IA city and guild hopping then yes you would likely receive better results than if you spent the majority of the day doing so in the BA city, while only collecting from buildings and Aiding all 3 lists once/day in the IA city.

Curious to know, for future experiments of my own. I myself started a second city a week after I started one with the Glarg/Algona method. In it I will be keeping to 1 guild, keeping all buildings connected (when possible), and using 24 hr productions for RQs, while having 1 of each Good Deposit building. Not focusing on GBs at all though. Its more of an experiment to see what happens when I focus on doing the techs in each line to get me to the next age, ending when I reach the end of HMA with the goal to determine exactly when the 2nd RQ questgiver shows up (since there is substantial knowledge of when and why it can disappear and how to retrieve it back, or avoid losing it altogether advancing too far in the IndA map)

My fps for that city will only go to tech tree, so any bps I recieve will be from completeing RQs as I go from Coin collecting, Aiding 3 lists once/day, and 24hr supply productions. I will store all fp packs and will only trade goods around when necessary to complete a tech. Will post results comparing both cities when I reach that stage in City 2.

DeletedUser

But what matters in the strategy I'm after is this: the only available recurring quest I can do with the Shoemaker is the 'Collect 15,000 Supplies'.
What?!? There is a recurring quest for the Shoemaker, also. It is, "Produce 2 Excellent Boots". So you could do exactly the same number of recurring quests with the Shoemaker as you can with the Tannery. I know this for a fact, because one of my cities is in EMA and I utilize both.

DeletedUser31392

What?!? There is a recurring quest for the Shoemaker, also. It is, "Produce 2 Excellent Boots". So you could do exactly the same number of recurring quests with the Shoemaker as you can with the Tannery. I know this for a fact, because one of my cities is in EMA and I utilize both.

I had overlooked him stating that! I'm not 100% positive, but I think you might be able to squeeze out 1-2 more 24hr RQs a day using Tanneries vs Shoemakers, but its too early and I already have a headache from doing calculations in a different thread (the new GB OoD) without first finishing my coffee.

Anyone else feel like crunching the numbers?

DeletedUser

I had overlooked him stating that! I'm not 100% positive, but I think you might be able to squeeze out 1-2 more 24hr RQs a day using Tanneries vs Shoemakers, but its too early and I already have a headache from doing calculations in a different thread (the new GB OoD) without first finishing my coffee.

Anyone else feel like crunching the numbers?
Why would you get more? They're the same size. I only still have Tanneries because I'm too lazy to replace them right now. :D

DeletedUser31592

Interesting result. A question about it though. You said that in the experiment city that you used Guild hopping early on. How long did you continue to do so, and did you keep it equal/greater than/less than the Glarg/Algona method? I could see how this could skew results if the IA city used this method more than the BA city. The BA city method relies on using the 24hr productions in conjunction with Guild Hopping all day long. If you were to take the take out of your day to focus more on the IA city and guild hopping then yes you would likely receive better results than if you spent the majority of the day doing so in the BA city, while only collecting from buildings and Aiding all 3 lists once/day in the IA city.

Curious to know, for future experiments of my own. I myself started a second city a week after I started one with the Glarg/Algona method. In it I will be keeping to 1 guild, keeping all buildings connected (when possible), and using 24 hr productions for RQs, while having 1 of each Good Deposit building. Not focusing on GBs at all though. Its more of an experiment to see what happens when I focus on doing the techs in each line to get me to the next age, ending when I reach the end of HMA with the goal to determine exactly when the 2nd RQ questgiver shows up (since there is substantial knowledge of when and why it can disappear and how to retrieve it back, or avoid losing it altogether advancing too far in the IndA map)

My fps for that city will only go to tech tree, so any bps I recieve will be from completeing RQs as I go from Coin collecting, Aiding 3 lists once/day, and 24hr supply productions. I will store all fp packs and will only trade goods around when necessary to complete a tech. Will post results comparing both cities when I reach that stage in City 2.
I tried to keep the guild hopping as even as possible. I'd go on to set productions and I'd hop about 5 guilds each time. Since I have a life and a job, and I was trying with two cities, I only went after guilds with 50+ members. With the one, I stuck more to 8-Productions versus 24-Hour Productions. So I hopped about 5 guilds every 8 hours in both cities. Since I stuck to 50+ member guilds, they were kept pretty close.

DeletedUser27848

JCera, when you did Guild Hopping did you target the Ages you needed blueprints for?

I did. It was tedious as hell, but by I manually aided every time, to target the specific age I wanted blueprints for..

DeletedUser27848

Longshanks is exactly correct, there is a recurring quest for the Shoemaker.

But to replace 30 Tanneries with Shoemakers is costly.
Shoemaker costs $10,769 requires 77 people.
Tannery costs $6,942 requires 54 people.

The advantage is the smaller population requirement, of the Tannery. It means you can build more Tanneries, complete more recurring quests.
And the $ cost advantage is obvious as well.

So yes, I could replace the Tanneries with Shoemakers... but I won't.

Algona

I did not rely on 24-hour recurring supply quests. I

Hmmm. i think that otherwise almost everything makes sense, but i don't understand why you chose to forego 10+ RQs a day,

You ran for a month so missed out on 300-500 RQs. That's a LOT of treasure. 100K+ Coins and Supplies: a lot more UBQs.. 1500+ Gopds. 150+ FPs.

Mind if I ask why?

Last edited:

DeletedUser31592

Hmmm. i think that otherwise almost everything makes sense, but i don't understand why you chose to forego 10+ RQs a day,

You ran for a month so missed out on 300-500 RQs. That's a LOT of treasure. 100K+ Coins and Supplies: a lot more UBQs.. 1500+ Gopds. 150+ FPs.

Mind if I ask why?
Because I find the strategy asinine. As I said, I was running the second city as I run my main, basically. Just smaller and an earlier age. I USE recurring quests. I just don't set my city up to run on them. (My main has been parked in PME for a while and I rotate through a few RQs every day, but I do not have my city set up for them. I go about my business and collect from them when I can. I can get the coin and FP quests the quickest, so those two are always open. I do a few UBQs on the way around, then set it back to what it was.)
Not only do I find it asinine on a personal level, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense in Iron Age. A butcher takes up quite a bit of space. The LoA gives a supply boost for 40 collections. You can't fit 40 butchers in the city. You are wasting the collection bonus. By putting them on 8 hour productions, I'm maximizing the effectiveness of the LoA. In the recurring quest city, my coin/supply ratio was so far off. In my well-rounded city, they were almost even. I felt I lost all of my supplies running the UBQs when I was trying to do the recurring quests.

I went flipping through my phone for some screenshots. It wasn't the last day- I'm not sure what day it was exactly, but it was close to the end.
City following this strategy- 450K coins, 35 K supplies. Well rounded city- 460K coins, 400K supplies.

Like I said, goods were comparable because I was producing them in the one city. My way also had way more FPs stored up because I pushed ahead to the Iron Age ASAP so I could contribute to GBs, which earned me far more FPs than RQing.

Now, in HMA or CA where you can squeeze in a ton 3x2 production buildings, RQing is probably the way to go. You will have enough buildings to utilize the LoA, too. Iron Age with the giant butcher? Not in my opinion. 8-hour is much better.

DeletedUser27848

I did my last collection of Jewelry, sold the 2 Jewelers, replaced with 2 BeeKeepers.

Another step forward.

DeletedUser31592

Iron Age? How long did yous spend in BA?
Longer in the one I followed this guide's method I can't remember exactly, but I stayed in BA at least 15 days. I had both my GBs up before I leveled up.
In the 'my method' city, I pushed for Iron Age immediately to contribute to GBs. Which is why I had hundreds of FPs in my inventory, aside from what I spent on my GBs.

DeletedUser31592

Thanks. And you didn't do 2 Helmets RQs in BA?
I did. I went back to my initial post to clarify.

In the guide city, I did the helmet RQs. I stayed in BA for at least two weeks- I know I had both GBs before I leveled up. I couldn't take the helmet RQs and the full FP bank any longer.

In the other city, I stuck with them only long enough to get diamonds. I pretty much had the goal to get diamonds out of the helmet quest, the UBQ, the coin quest, the FP quest, and the supply quest. Once I got those, I went on to IA to start contributing to GBs. If done strategically, that is where the real payouts are, to me. For my playing style, anyway. FPs are everything. Guild hopping allows you access to many GBs. Plus the medals add up really quickly in those first few weeks.

Algona

Thanks for clearing that up.

And I completely understand this:

I couldn't take the helmet RQs and the full FP bank any longer.

I lasted 14 days Guild Hopping and 2 Helmet-ing. I kinda wished I could have stayed 2 more weeks. I figured out a few months later that the BPs from Guild Hopping were worth a lot of FPs and time. But 50 RQs a day was a little too much of a good thing. Top of the hat to those HQS folk who manage that day after day for months on end.

I built Zeus on my second day, so I was dumping Bar FPs into it. Otherwise it would have been painful to just watch those Bar FPs disappear.

DeletedUser31592

Thanks for clearing that up.

And I completely understand this:

I lasted 14 days Guild Hopping and 2 Helmet-ing. I kinda wished I could have stayed 2 more weeks. I figured out a few months later that the BPs from Guild Hopping were worth a lot of FPs and time. But 50 RQs a day was a little too much of a good thing. Top of the hat to those HQS folk who manage that day after day for months on end.

I built Zeus on my second day, so I was dumping Bar FPs into it. Otherwise it would have been painful to just watch those Bar FPs disappear.

Those few days where I had to look at the full FP bar were very painful. Once I got the ToB up, I calmed down, lol. But the helmet RQs still had me going crazy. I can see some benefits to RQing for a week or two in each (early) age (CA and lower). But for my sanity, I could never do it all the time. I play the game for fun and clicking abort a bazillion times isn't fun for me!

DeletedUser31392

Those few days where I had to look at the full FP bar were very painful. Once I got the ToB up, I calmed down, lol. But the helmet RQs still had me going crazy. I can see some benefits to RQing for a week or two in each (early) age (CA and lower). But for my sanity, I could never do it all the time. I play the game for fun and clicking abort a bazillion times isn't fun for me!

Something you can do with those bar fps is find someone that will post trades in increments of 1 for you. They post 8 and you can finish the fp RQ and not have your bar full all the time.

I had a guy come to me a few days ago in my HMA city asking me to do this very thing and I knew exactly what he was up to. Oh and he said people thought he was crazy for doing so :eek: If your plan is to stay BA for as long as possible I would think it more crazy to keep fps on the bar.

And even if you can't find a player to trade with there's always small trades on the market to you those bar fps on til you can get your first GB down.

Always a workaround for things;)

And thank you for clarifying the post from before as well. Personally for me to test the two different playstyles I would have skipped doing the guild hopping on the one city and only focused on the city from this guide. The time spent on the 5 or so Guilds from the normal city could have been used in the guide city to show slightly more accurate results. 5 Guilds @50+ would be about 3-4 more RQs done each time you logged in to it adding up to 9-12 more/day, if it was every 8 hours to coincide with dcollecting productions from the normal city.

@Algona you mention about how the HQS folk can manage it for weeks/months on end. To answer I see the end goal in mind with all that I am profiting from it. Just doing the 4 different RQs about 80 times/day supplies me with enough fp packs to use for swaps so that I can post on any swap I want to without fear of wondering where my next fps come from (and I save the 10's up, only using them at a 3/4:1 rate compared to 5's, or for larger personal fp swaps), plus I gain enough medals right now between swaps and RQs to gain a victory expansion about every 2 weeks, depending on how many cheap 4th/5th spot on the handful of 40+ level Arcs (and other GBs) on my friend list. Then there's the goods. I've been trading up to get LMA and CA goods and slowly working on IndA goods. I can also clear out the guild market for any trade from HMA on down and can assist guildmates with LMA/CA/IndA trades if they need them fast.

It is tedious and very niche for those that can stand the grind, but I've always loved doing that in games so it really doesn't bother me to keep chugging away at it.

2 days ago I bought Inno goods which cleared out my 10fp stash, and now I Im back over 150 with more rolling in each day, all just from RQs. And my city is getting big enough now I'm beginning to place my larger special FP buildings, though I do think I'm getting to a point I won't be able to exand outwards near as fast as before, until I go hunting for Arc bps again to start pushing that higher than 10 (but I have other GBs that need attention before I start climbing that mountain)