• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Going from EMA to HMA and eventually FE

Aethelcatt VIII

I'm finding HMA to be an era well worth lingering around for a while, and I've been doing that since last summer. For one thing, the HMA military units are quite effective against anything I run into around here--all the way up to Industrial Age units. (Oh the sight of a knight charging up to a field gun or a breech loader and destroying the whole battery with one swift and powerful strike of the sword! Or a heavily armored infantry man taking multiple hits from a howitzer and still able to march all the way in for some hand-to-hand combat! :p)

With thousands of these medieval-tough troops in my army and plenty of goods to negotiate with, I'm finding HMA to be a very comfortable place to be--maybe a little too comfortable, as with every passing day I'm losing a bit more of the drive to move on in the progress of human society. Forget about renaissance, reformation and scientific revolution...Plantagenet and Valois forever!

Ebeondi Asi

I jumped five Eras in less than a half hour. (to Future from Progressive) and could still do the GE level 4 (in the new level .. on autobattle ... with ease.
Glad i did it.
I just moved to Venus.
Skipped Tomorrow, and Virtual Future too.

Johnny B. Goode

My general age up requirements are these...
Can You fight through GE 64 weekly without boosts?
Are You normally ranked in the top ten when You switch hoods?
If so, then when the next gbg season starts.... Age Up!
That seems to be the common thinking, but my criteria is based more on goods and attacking army att/def boosts, with secondary consideration given to GB levels and the general state of event/special buildings. I also look at whether I have enough kits to bring the necessary number of event/special buildings into the new age/era. I kind of feel that GE64 is less of a thing since GBG came along. And I don't get the ranking thing at all. Plundering is rarely an issue unless a city hasn't developed properly, and ranking by itself means nothing. I mean, I do get that it can be an indicator of your relative standing in that era on that world, but only in the vaguest of terms.

Ebeondi Asi

In most terms, GE is not as important as it used to be. However for gauging whether to move up Era, it is still a good indicator you're ready. Finishing GE4 with ease, autobattling is a great test of if your attack boost is sufficient to do OK fighting in the next Era. (In most Eras, the boost you have seems to not do quite as well as it did in your previous Era. Once you boost is rather high 1500 etc.. , this seems to fade. )
If you cannot manage GE4 autobattle, you really will have problems moving up to the next Era.
This is if you battle. If you only Negotiate, then GE4 is not going to be a good indicator.

Rank is also a reasonable (if not perfect) indicator of are you ready. If you are regularly in the top three of your Hood, you have sat too long in your current Era.
If you're in the bottom third, you really are pushing it to move up... I like to be in the top fifteen at least to move up. Then you likely will be in the top half in your new Era. (Because so many players are rushing up the Eras. !!!)
So rank on Hood is a bit vague. but you can form a reasonable idea if you are in the bottom not to move up..

I I also save up all the regular* next Era Goods by trading up. needed for Research. And I try to save in packets all the FPs in advance. Trading up slows a player down. and gives great start in the new Era. Rather than struggling to finish Research, I am done quickly with it.
*It is not possible to get any Special Goods in advance.

One other idea I have used is borrowing Goods from Guild top players. I borrowed 3K of each of the next era starting with Arctic Goods, then paid those back borrowing the Era after that, and paying those back to get the next. It is such a good idea I would highly recommend it to Guilds with steady long time players.
I have used the 3K Venus I borrowed, and will undoubtedly pay them back to get SAJM.
Eventually when in the top Era I will refund he 3K each SAJM to my Guild leader in that World. It is a real help.

Last edited:

Sharmon the Impaler

I I also save up all the regular* next Era Goods by trading up. needed for Research. And I try to save in packets all the FPs in advance. Trading up slows a player down. and gives great start in the new Era. Rather than struggling to finish Research, I am done quickly with it.
*It is not possible to get any Special Goods in advance.

One other idea I have used is borrowing Goods from Guild top players. I borrowed 3K of each of the next era starting with Arctic Goods, then paid those back borrowing the Era after that, and paying those back to get the next. It is such a good idea I would highly recommend it to Guilds with steady long time players.
I have used the 3K Venus I borrowed, and will undoubtedly pay them back to get SAJM.
Eventually when in the top Era I will refund he 3K each SAJM to my Guild leader in that World. It is a real help.

Which doesn't work if you are always in the last era , another reason to slow down. SAJM was a goods killer to start in. Very high goods needed for GB and ditto for opening up the best combat unit which is at the very end. They have choked off the Topo and Advanced DNA supply as well. Everyone I speak with has these too shorted and even the treasury is low Topo by 65%. compared all the rest.

DevaCat

Generally speaking just being able to fight through all of GE4 should be enough to indicate readiness to move up. Doing it autobattle would be better but if you can’t , it just means working more on your boosts - which you can do in the next age.

I see hood ranking as a general proxy for city strength and development and agree with EA that people in the bottom third would be making life hard for themselves if they were to age up at that point. I aim for being in top 5-10; that usually places me at worst somewhere around 15 after an age up. Attacks and plundering are still a thing (although that seems to taper off somewhat after Colonial or Indy) and can be greatly reduced simply by being in the upper hood ranks (along with effective city management of course).

Before aging up I want to have on hand all the resources I will need for all tech research for that age so that I get a fast start (and get myself back up in the top 10 lol). Before aging up I like to ensure I will have a stock of each type of current age goods remaining after covering the next age’s tech requirements - that number will change with the ages. In PE for example I will want much more on hand vs EMA. Someone with more recent EMA experience should opine, but about 500-1000 of each good remaining after next age tech needs are covered should be ballpark.

Don’t forget about what JBG mentioned - one-up and reno kits! You want to be snagging those at every opportunity!:)

DevaCat

Which doesn't work if you are always in the last era , another reason to slow down. SAJM was a goods killer to start in. Very high goods needed for GB and ditto for opening up the best combat unit which is at the very end. They have choked off the Topo and Advanced DNA supply as well. Everyone I speak with has these too shorted and even the treasury is low Topo by 65%. compared all the rest.
I’ve been following that issue, and it’s interesting, but the Op is asking about EMA to FE. What you mentioned is good to know, but maybe not so immediately helpful for her?

What might be more helpful (not aimed at you Sharmon) is some input on how people handle the ME change in goods to the refined/unrefined thing and whether/how that changes the aging up decision. I haven’t yet experienced that myself so I’m not the one to advise. I’d like to know; Im sure Grace would too. Anyone?

Sharmon the Impaler

I’ve been following that issue, and it’s interesting, but the Op is asking about EMA to FE. What you mentioned is good to know, but maybe not so immediately helpful for her?

What might be more helpful (not aimed at you Sharmon) is some input on how people handle the ME change in goods to the refined/unrefined thing and whether/how that changes the aging up decision. I haven’t yet experienced that myself so I’m not the one to advise. I’d like to know; Im sure Grace would too. Anyone?

Update any goods buildings very carefully , older goods become very valuable when you are the only source of them. Event buildings clobber tree goods in the numbers produced and having a source of a particular eras goods can get you out of a tight spot sometimes. (Store buildings)

Johnny B. Goode

That used to be an issue back before power creep got so bad. That's why my criteria about using Kits to update event/special buildings is relevant. Modern Era is also when most goods producing GBs start becoming more of a liability than a benefit, although it is nice to be in Contemporary Era and have those producing Traz/Chateau goods. From Bronze to Progressive you can rely on goods producing GBs to work with event/special buildings to supply all your current goods needs, but moving up to Modern Era you need to have enough event/special buildings that produce goods if you want to be able to forgo regular goods buildings.

If you do use regular goods buildings from Modern Era on up, it is much simpler and surer to keep the goods producing GBs, which double their amount of goods produced and switch to the necessary unrefined goods.
I also save up all the regular* next Era Goods by trading up. needed for Research. And I try to save in packets all the FPs in advance. Trading up slows a player down. and gives great start in the new Era. Rather than struggling to finish Research, I am done quickly with it.
Using goods producing GBs (from Bronze to Progressive) and event/special buildings that produce goods completely eliminates the problem of goods for research. The only era I've had trouble with is SAM, but that's because I had gutted that city at one point so I didn't have the necessary supply of event/special buildings. (It's a long story.)

Johnny B. Goode

Update any goods buildings very carefully , older goods become very valuable when you are the only source of them. Event buildings clobber tree goods in the numbers produced and having a source of a particular eras goods can get you out of a tight spot sometimes. (Store buildings)
And this is why I always mention having enough kits to update those event/special buildings that you deem necessary.

Pericles the Lion

With ARC at 80+ and CF at 58+ goods will be plentiful if a player contributes to 1.9s and does the "spend x forge points" RQs. I levelled up both my ARC and CF when I was in EMA and haven't had a goods building since. The "refined versus unrefined" thing has never been an issue and I'm in OF now.

DevaCat

With ARC at 80+ and CF at 58+ goods will be plentiful if a player contributes to 1.9s and does the "spend x forge points" RQs. I levelled up both my ARC and CF when I was in EMA and haven't had a goods building since. The "refined versus unrefined" thing has never been an issue and I'm in OF now.
Good to hear. Arc/CF is what I’ve done in my cities; I haven’t relied on tech tree goods buildings since EMA either. Between that pair and event/special buildings looks like the ME goods production transition is no longer that big of a deal.

Johnny B. Goode

Johnny mentioned "kits" but I don't know what he means--help please.
Reno kits or 1 up kits.
No he was talking about update /selection kits for special buildings.
He said update, not upgrade.
Snake Queen is right, I was talking about Reno Kits and/or One Up Kits. I just get tired of typing all that out every time, especially given my obsession with using full, correctly spelled words. :)

Gypsy Grace

I have a level 5 Abandoned Asylum in storage. It was placed in my EMA city at level 1 and then stored when I placed my level 10 Fiore. (I need more land!) I have one upgrade kit for the Asylum. If I place the level 5 building in my city after I age up, will it then be HMA? If not, will the upgrade kit bring it to HMA?

spartacus2.0

I have a level 5 Abandoned Asylum in storage. It was placed in my EMA city at level 1 and then stored when I placed my level 10 Fiore. (I need more land!) I have one upgrade kit for the Asylum. If I place the level 5 building in my city after I age up, will it then be HMA? If not, will the upgrade kit bring it to HMA?
The uprgrade kit will, but if you place the level 5 it won't