• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Gold Vs Population?

DeletedUser26579

I just started reading some analysis for the game, and people keep rating housing by how much gold it generates. This confused me greatly because I feel like there is nothing to spend gold on. I frequently infiltrate, and then negotiate because, why not? It's not like I need the gold for anything else.

I see the purpose of housing as generating population and ignore gold. Yet, one analysis went so far as trying to compare gold/population and trying to maximize that! Now, if I assume that the people writing these articles aren't idiots (because I'm pretty sure they're not), then is there some use of gold that I'm missing?

Yes, you spend gold on construction and tech, but the limiting factor is going to be supplies or goods. If I build more supply buildings, I need more population, so I build houses, which gives me gold, so gold production continues to outstrip supply production.

I feel like there must be something that I don't understand. What am I missing?

DeletedUser26154

I see the purpose of housing as generating population and ignore gold.
Hello Ekarat. You need gold and lots of it. Let me list some more reasons.

1. Buying buildings.
2. Buying Forge Points.
3. Paying for Goods production.
4. Paying for expansions.
5. Paying for technology research.

Coins are actually more important than supplies for one reason: You can buy forge points with Coins.
Get your houses Ekarat, and get the ones with 8 or 24 hour cycle times.
Thank you.

DeletedUser26579

Hello Ekarat. You need gold and lots of it. Let me list some more reasons.

1. Buying buildings.
2. Buying Forge Points.
3. Paying for Goods production.
4. Paying for expansions.
5. Paying for technology research.

Coins are actually more important than supplies for one reason: You can buy forge points with Coins.
Get your houses Ekarat, and get the ones with 8 or 24 hour cycle times.
Thank you.

So, for 1,3,&5, I generally need more supplies than gold. For 4, it doesn't happen often enough to be significant. For 2, I am more limited by goods and progress in the single-player campaign map than forge points.

I suppose what I am missing out on is buying forge points (which I only do when a quest/event requires me to do and not even where there is an alternative). I suppose that once this accursed event finally ends (it can't end soon enough for me), I can catch up on the solo campaign map and then finally buy some forge points, once they become useful. I'm just averse to doing that when the cost of future points permanently goes up.

I do think there are different progress bars in this game, and if they get out of whack, then the experience is very different. I think I am at a place where gold is just never useful and I always have way more than I need.

DeletedUser26154

Get coins and supplies. You need both.
Get the Lighthouse of Alexandria and St Marks Basilica Great buildings to receive a bonus to each.
I'm not going to argue you on this...

d65372d0b27d48b316c9404815580350.png

You can take my advise or leave it.
Thank you and enjoy your game.

Algona

I suppose what I am missing out on is buying forge points (which I only do when a quest/event requires me to do and not even where there is an alternative). I suppose that once this accursed event finally ends (it can't end soon enough for me), I can catch up on the solo campaign map and then finally buy some forge points, once they become useful. I'm just averse to doing that when the cost of future points permanently goes up.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. I don't think I've ever been in a game state where FPs were not useful, more like desperately wanted. Even if I'm static on the tech tree there are always GBs that want attention.

Buying FPs to snipe a GB has been decisive for me, allowing me to hoard my inventory FPs. Controlled buying FPs with excess coins to invest in tech painlessly advances my game state.

I used to worry about the increasing cost of FPs. Control is the key, as long as I continue to accumulate coins faster then I spend them there will be no problem. I'm at 35k now, but I profit a megacoin a day and have around 175 meg.

DeletedUser26579

Get coins and supplies. You need both.
Get the Lighthouse of Alexandria and St Marks Basilica Great buildings to receive a bonus to each.
I'm not going to argue you on this...

View attachment 1940

You can take my advise or leave it.
Thank you and enjoy your game.

To be fair, your advice was to generate more gold when the question I had was what to do with way too much gold. I responded with a more explicit explanation of why I have too much gold and I'm not sure what to spend it on.

Also, I'm trying very hard not to advance to the next age until the event is over, though that requires a lot of supply.

Yes, my game really is in a bizarrely unbalanced state, and I'm trying to figure out what a normal game looks like.

Finally, there is a difference between asking questions and asking for advice. Generic advice is unlikely to be useful to me, since my game is in an odd state, so normal advice may not apply. Answers to my questions might give me information that will allow me to advise myself.

DeletedUser26154

Yes, my game really is in a bizarrely unbalanced state, and I'm trying to figure out what a normal game looks like.
It took me four months to balance my city. I know how it feels.
Save what ever excess you have, because you will need it.
If you have a massive pile of coins and you must spend...
Buy Forge Points, then contribute them to a GB so you get the rewards and reimbursed.
Then you hold those FP packs for when you need them.
I'm sorry for not being clear, I misunderstood your question.
I wish you good luck.

DeletedUser9433

So, for 1,3,&5, I generally need more supplies than gold. For 4, it doesn't happen often enough to be significant. For 2, I am more limited by goods and progress in the single-player campaign map than forge points.

I do think there are different progress bars in this game, and if they get out of whack, then the experience is very different. I think I am at a place where gold is just never useful and I always have way more than I need.
I have 1.7 billion in gold and generate several million more every day, still I have 8 gold producing houses in my city so as to generate more. I do the repeating quests quests several times per day which takes 800K in gold per quest so, more gold for me please.I have enough gold to buy about 6000 FP's (just an estimate but close) si I say "more gold for me please".

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13838

Trillion?? I have 1.7 billion. That's like 0.1% of what you have. I knew I was a small fry but never realized how small.

I have about a third as much in supplies but there's nothing to use them on.

DeletedUser9433

Trillion?? I have 1.7 billion. That's like 0.1% of what you have. I knew I was a small fry but never realized how small.

I have about a third as much in supplies but there's nothing to use them on.
Oops, got my T's and B's mixed up ;p; 1.7G to be precise, nice catch. Fixed my post, thanks.

DeletedUser26579

So, what I am hearing is that gold is indeed useless, since you all have so much of it.

DeletedUser15042

It also depends on the age you are in. In lower ages, gold can be a limiting factor. In the upper ages, gold is still a premium. I have a city where each forge point costs me 200K. It gets expensive to buy FPs.

Algona

So, what I am hearing is that gold is indeed useless, since you all have so much of it.

No, what you are hearing is exactly what you want to hear. Three players more experienced then you told you what you can do with excess coins. Instead of realizing that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how to play the game and trying to correct that, it's easier for you to shrug off what those players are telling you.

DeletedUser8420

I rarely have enough gold. Gold is needed because although expansions may be rare they are VERY EXPENSIVE, my expansions cost over 2,000,000 coins with each more expensive the last and FPs cost over 300,000 coins (going up each time). Again, FPs bought and then used on GBs so you can build a supply of them in inventory is crucial.

I personally favor 8hr and 4 hr coin collections because each adds up more then the 24 hr ones.

DeletedUser13838

I have 1.7 billion coins because I earn 10 million per day and the only thing I can buy with them is forge points. I want forge points and buy some every day but I don't want to spend endless hours clicking buttons to buy as many as I can. I have about a third as much supplies (maybe a quarter) because I don't collect nearly as much but there is absolutely nothing to spend them on.

DeletedUser26579

I rarely have enough gold. Gold is needed because although expansions may be rare they are VERY EXPENSIVE, my expansions cost over 2,000,000 coins with each more expensive the last and FPs cost over 300,000 coins (going up each time). Again, FPs bought and then used on GBs so you can build a supply of them in inventory is crucial.

I personally favor 8hr and 4 hr coin collections because each adds up more then the 24 hr ones.

I guess that is a good point. My next expansion costs 40% of my gold, which is a good chunk, and once I unlock another, that should use up at least 80% of my gold combined. That is significant. I just haven't paid attention to the costs, since I always had enough money so far.

FPs, though, cost only 0.6% of my total gold. Once again, I usually wait until events to buy them. I just got my first GB (Haga Sophia), and I'm in the Colonial Age. When I was blocked on goods, I was doing a new swap as soon as someone took my old one. Now, I have the blueprints for 3 others. Colosseum seems to have low stats. I don't have the goods for another. But I might build the Statue of Zeus, since I am behind on the military campaign. (I took outdated advice and used only archers, but I lagged because archers were nerfed a long time ago.) Still, if you're not funneling money to GBs, then you zoom ahead in the ages, which gives you more efficient regular buildings, which means you'd have to sink even more FPs into GBs to make them worthwhile. It feels like the right thing to do is to focus on 1-2 GBs at a time and not build everything right away.

DeletedUser13838

If you want supplies then you should try to get LOA since that boosts supplies and provides goods. I'd also suggest Zeus and COA for military and Hagia and CDM for military and fps. Once you have GBs you will never have enough fps. Don't bother with the colosseum.

The trap of advancing in ages quickly is that you'll wind up in more advanced neighborhoods where it'll be harder to get the earlier GBs if you don't have them and your hoodmates will tend to have a more developed military than you.

DeletedUser25166

Ekarat,
I hope someone plunders you relentlessly until you quit. You seem to want to argue/dispute just for the sake of it.

DeletedUser26579

Ekarat,
I hope someone plunders you relentlessly until you quit. You seem to want to argue/dispute just for the sake of it.

That's incredibly rude!

I do have a valid point -- I've always had enough gold to the point where I stop noticing it, but I'm reading about people trying to maximize gold rather than population, so I'd like to know why. Plus, having lots of gold does not prove that gold is valuable -- quite the opposite.

However, one or two people in here have made valid points, and I've tried to acknowledge those.

DeletedUser26579

If you want supplies then you should try to get LOA since that boosts supplies and provides goods. I'd also suggest Zeus and COA for military and Hagia and CDM for military and fps. Once you have GBs you will never have enough fps. Don't bother with the colosseum.

The trap of advancing in ages quickly is that you'll wind up in more advanced neighborhoods where it'll be harder to get the earlier GBs if you don't have them and your hoodmates will tend to have a more developed military than you.

That's exactly the trap I'm in. I just caught up in upgrading my military (except for siege weapons).

I have Haga Sophia as my first GB. Zeus is next, though I don't have the blueprints to just build whatever GB I want.