• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Gold Vs Population?

DeletedUser14197

I used to think I had all the gold I would ever need and than I started buying fps. I would recommend getting the marks early and buying fps from the very beginning with any extra gold you have so that you can raise your great buildings faster and start reaping the rewards from having them. You may at one point have more than you want to spend fps on. By than, you will have played long enough that you may know more what you want. I actually ran out of gold when I was a newer player. I was doing gvg and building all these barraks and than I built a number of churches and I actually ran out and didn't infiltrate a number of my battles cause I simply didn't have the coins. I also aided everyone I could to get that pittance. Now, if I was low like that I would have done recurring quests (back then I didn't know about them) and the treasure chest, and GE. It is a lot easier to get coins in a hurry now than it was back than.

I didn't get a marks until I was a much higher age as I never bought fps. If I had to do over again, I would have gotten it as soon as I got the blueprints and goods to raise it.

DeletedUser25273

My understanding is with 1 Artillery and 6 Light, the rogue will turn light 6/7ths of the time and Artillery 1/7th of the time (it choses a random UNIT, not unit type).

One thing to watch out for, there are several different AIs in different parts of the game. The PvP/GvG/GE AI will choose to target Rogues first, on the continent, it will often focus on the non-rogues, so you need to adjust your strategies based on where you are fighting.

DeletedUser13838

Thank you. That pretty much answers my questions. (The only question I have left is if you have 1 artillery, 6 light, and 1 rogue, is it 50-50 what the rogue turns into, or 6-to-1 light-to-artillery? However, that's a more academic question than practical.)

I've been slowly discovering the same things via trial-and-error, but it's good to hear explicitly. I've been approaching your second solution (hold rogues back a bit) since I like using ranged, though I immediately discovered the risk of using artillery and rogues together. What I did was use 4 light units, 2 ranged, and 2 rogues. I advance the light units slightly into the forest to wait for the fast units. The fast units attack my rangers in the forest, and the rangers whack the fast units back for more damage than they take. Then my units get to finish off the fast ones. If a rogue turns into ranged, it can fall back. Keep in mind, I didn't have 8 light + rogue units to send in, but I made do without casualties.

Also, the AI seems to really like to attack rogues first. I can't tell if it's just coincidence, but they like to pick on my rogues after they transform too.

Anyway, thank you for answering my questions.
My experience is that the chances of a rogue turning into a particular unit depends on how many of those units you have relative to the others. This can cause some issues if you have 1 A and 1 B and 6 rogues. You might think you'll wind up with 4 of each but it seems that the 1st rogue is 50-50 A or B and then 2-1 of whichever it turns into and so on so you have a very good chance of having all or nearly all your rogues turn into A or B instead. That's why in general I don't mix troop types. Anyway that's just my experience. I don't think there's anything official on it.

In general, the continent AI will go after regular units first but the AI in the other battlegrouns (pvp GE GVG) the AI goes after rogues 1st.

DeletedUser27848

I like this thread because it allowed me to evaluate the approach I have taken.

I am EMA in 5 Worlds: East Nagach, Fel Dranghyr, Jaims, Noarsil and Odhrorvar. (I've been playing since November?? Long enough to ignore the stupid Balloon event).

Balancing Gold, Goods & Produce along with Military. Tricky.

What I have chosen to do is deliberately slow the Tech Tree Progress, while trying to build some Great Buildings instead. Been pouring all my FP's into GB's (mine and other players).

I went this way largely cuz early on, I was getting my a$$ handed to me. So I decided to gain the advantages of the GB's before proceeding too much beyond the EMA's.

After reading this, I think I will continue along the strategy I am on.

Question though: I focused on Lighthouse of Alexandria and Statue of Zeus, as the two starting GB's and Cathedral of Aachen I decided I wanted asap. I managed to get these two GB's in 4 of my 5 cities, but in one I built the Colosseum, as I had all the goods and BP's.

I'm reading where the Hagia Sophia is recommended over the Col. Is this due to the production of FP's vs Medals?

They are both huge: 6x7 vs 7x6. The Colosseum at least for now offers Medals that I can use toward expansions.

Yes? No?

What?

BruteForceAttack

if you have """"extra"""" space you can build Colosseum, but don't put any fps on it. Colosseum and Notre Dame are worst gbs in the early era's.

Get St' Marks instead of col or nd. you will thank me later.

DeletedUser10415

What I have chosen to do is deliberately slow the Tech Tree Progress, while trying to build some Great Buildings instead. Been pouring all my FP's into GB's (mine and other players).

I went this way largely cuz early on, I was getting my a$$ handed to me. So I decided to gain the advantages of the GB's before proceeding too much beyond the EMA's.

After reading this, I think I will continue along the strategy I am on.

It works for me.

Question though: I focused on Lighthouse of Alexandria and Statue of Zeus, as the two starting GB's and Cathedral of Aachen I decided I wanted asap. I managed to get these two GB's in 4 of my 5 cities, but in one I built the Colosseum, as I had all the goods and BP's.

I'm reading where the Hagia Sophia is recommended over the Col. Is this due to the production of FP's vs Medals?

They are both huge: 6x7 vs 7x6. The Colosseum at least for now offers Medals that I can use toward expansions.

Yes? No?

What?

The Colosseum is crap. It's happiness output is really substandard and it's medal output too. Besides which, medals are easy to come by these days - Be it from events, or event buildings.

I'm a big fan of Hagia Sophia, and have built it in 9 out of my 10 cities, and will be building it soon in the 10th. As happiness GBs go, it doesn't lose it's effectiveness compared to cultural buildings until Future Era (or maybe Tomorrow), but that's a long way from EMA. Also yes - it produces forge points - the single most valuable resource in the game.

DeletedUser27848

It works for me.

The Colosseum is crap. It's happiness output is really substandard and it's medal output too. Besides which, medals are easy to come by these days - Be it from events, or event buildings.

I'm a big fan of Hagia Sophia, and have built it in 9 out of my 10 cities, and will be building it soon in the 10th. As happiness GBs go, it doesn't lose it's effectiveness compared to cultural buildings until Future Era (or maybe Tomorrow), but that's a long way from EMA. Also yes - it produces forge points - the single most valuable resource in the game.

K, point taken. But I think I'm a ways away from being able to build Hagia Sophia yet...

Thnx!

DeletedUser27848

FWIW, I checked each of my cities and I am a long way from being able to build anything except Tower of Babel or the Colosseum. I have the BP's and goods to build those in a few cities.

Is Babel ok? I kinda thought it was also underwhelming??

wolfhoundtoo

Babel isn't the greatest of GBs but it's decent. If you get it up a few levels it will produce a fair bit of unrefined goods for you when you are in the more advanced eras/age.

DeletedUser10415

Babel is a 4x4 goods building that cannot be plundered, and also will produce goods you're not boosted in. And also supports some population. I love it, and have it in all 10 of my cities.

All GBs are underwhelming at level 1.

DeletedUser27848

Yes that seems to one of the first to go in most cities.
Well it's not like I wanted to do that, but one thing I've figured out, is when multiple people (who know what they are talking about), are all telling you the same thing, best thing is to heed that advice.
And now people will put FP's into my ToA instead.

DeletedUser8420

Yes, when I first started out I visited several of the higher level cities to see what they were designed like, what they felt was worthwhile and made decisions based on those. Now I not only have matched but, actually surpassed those individuals.

I always suggest to newer players to get some of the multi-million point players on their friends list. I make a concerted effort to return any and all help given... even if it costs extra fps or coins....they helped me when I needed it and now it time to return the favor or even pass forward a bit.

DeletedUser27848

^ Yes, I have been 'sucking up' to as many powerful players as I can! Lol.

After selling the Colosseum, I was able to replace it with the Tower of Babel, as the Great Glarg suggested, in 3 of my 5 cities.

In the other two, there's nothing certain as to which GB's may be next. Blueprints!!

DeletedUser26579

Yes, when I first started out I visited several of the higher level cities to see what they were designed like, what they felt was worthwhile and made decisions based on those. Now I not only have matched but, actually surpassed those individuals.

I always suggest to newer players to get some of the multi-million point players on their friends list. I make a concerted effort to return any and all help given... even if it costs extra fps or coins....they helped me when I needed it and now it time to return the favor or even pass forward a bit.

You have to be a little careful copying the top players. Many of the top-ranked people have a Colosseum in their city. I presume it is mainly for the points, even though it is considered the worst GB. So, just because they have a Col, doesn't mean I should build one as soon as possible.

DeletedUser26154

Hello Ekarat.

Many of the top-ranked people have a Colosseum in their city.

When I took at look at my server's [Rugnir] top 10,

rugnir top ten.png

Only one had a Colosseum.
None had Notre Dame.
They all had a ton of SoKs, Watchfires, military buildings for boosts, Wishing wells, Rogue Hideouts and HoFs.
Generally speaking you don't want some G.B.s because for the space, other buildings are better.

my global rank.png

Can you imagine winning 43,635 fights?