• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Gold Vs Population?

DeletedUser26579

There's a lot of randomness to the blueprints. I got very unlucky in my early game and did not have a complete set until Colonial Era, when I suddenly got 4 (Hagia, Colosseum, Notre Dame, and Zeus). Not being on the forums, I thought this was normal.

I have been contributing to 3-4 LoAs and have been manually m/p'ing Iron Age buildings, and I still can't get that last BP for LoA. In the meantime, I got a complete set of CdM by random, so I'm going with that instead for now. I'm still contributing to multiple LoAs and doing manual m/p, but I'm going to just go ahead and build CdM as soon as I finish getting all the goods.

I built Hagia because it was the first complete set I got, and I had the goods lying around. It generates FPs, so I obviously like that, though I currently have way more happiness than I need. (I keep getting quests to raise it -- including main story quests, so I can't skip it.)

I have Hagia and Zeus to around level 4 each (I'm doing a day-of-week group and occasionally participate in 2 different neverending FP swaps). CdM is next -- the bonuses look amazing!

In other news, I did enter the Industrial Age, since I already had all the Colonial Age techs. I wanted to get the upgraded bonuses before I cashed in on my stars, and between that and the better GE rewards (and a pair of renovation kits I got), I've found it incredibly rewarding.

I think I'm always going to be a bit eager to bump up an age, and despite the cautions of doing so, I'm still going to keep progressing, but perhaps I can do it in a more balanced way?

Oddly, the main limit on my catching up in military is the time it takes to scout, but that's partially because I'm going back and finishing off the two bonus areas and filling in missed spots.

I am grateful for being in a really wonderful guild -- we were #2 in GE in the American League, so there's a lot of support for people who want to do GE, and we have a lot of active fair trading. I've also been trying to support other guild members in return.

DeletedUser25166

Your that guy that rushes Tech tree and then complains when plundered

DeletedUser26579

Your that guy that rushes Tech tree and then complains when plundered

I have never complained about being plundered. The only time I was plundered badly was when it was the event daily, and then I only lost about 10-20 goods and ~6 or so medals. Honestly, I think the damage from being plundered is more to ego than anything else -- I didn't lose all that much.

Oddly, I didn't exactly choose the rush the tech tree so much as get unlucky with BPs, and I thought it was normal since I didn't read the forums.

Also, it's "you're that guy" not "your that guy".

DeletedUser8420

You have to be a little careful copying the top players. Many of the top-ranked people have a Colosseum in their city. I presume it is mainly for the points, even though it is considered the worst GB. So, just because they have a Col, doesn't mean I should build one as soon as possible.

As stated I looked at theirs to get an idea, read up on building stats...points benefits etc then decided. I got rid of my coliseum long ago.

DeletedUser27848

I am finding the discussion in this thread very helpful, as I learn the ropes of this game.

My strategy has been slowly evolving, but what I am focusing on now, is accumulating the needed BP's to complete the BA, IA and EMA Great Bldgs.
I have finally realized the importance of acquiring BP's through forge point contributions to other players. For quite a while, I've been 'spinning my wheels', trying to collect BP's by aiding people. But that's way too random, plus I'm getting very few each day that route.

I'm sitting EMA, trying to level GB's: in my 5 cities, I have Lighthouse of Alexandria in all 5; Zeus in 4 of 5; Cathedral of Aachen in 1; Tower of Babel in 2. I'm chipping FP's into each of my GB's, while also throwing FP's towards other players.

I am going to try to collect all the BP's and 'break ground' on construction of: Statue of Zeus, Tower of Babel, Lighthouse of Alexandria, Sophia Hagia and Cathedral of Aachen, in all 5, before proceeding into the HMA.

Is this strategy sound? Is it necessary to stay where I'm at, and get all those GB's off the ground, before advancing?

Feedback appreciated. :)

Imp...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10415

How does age affect plundering?

Age influences what sort of neighbors you're going to have. When you're in Early Middle Ages, for example, your neighbors' cities are generally of your city's age, with some the age below and some the age above, and maybe even a few two ages above or below. If one is racing through the tech tree instead of taking a more balanced approach that involves gaining and leveling up Great Buildings, the newbie in particular can find themselves up against neighbors with considerable attack bonuses due to GBs, and who have a thirst for plunder. Which is not to say that this won't happen anyway, but at least if one also has considerable attack bonuses due to GBs, they've got a shot at presenting a deterrent.

Algona

My strategy has been slowly evolving, but what I am focusing on now, is accumulating the needed BP's to complete the BA, IA and EMA Great Bldgs.

Friends don;t let friends build Colosseum or Notre Dame. I note they are not on your list of target GBs but want to emphasize the point.

I'm chipping FP's into each of my GB's, while also throwing FP's towards other players.

Noooooo! Stop! NEVER* contribute FPs to your own GBs. You can't get any rewards for contributing to your own, you can get rewards for contributing to other players GBs. Your guild should have swap chains, you can make daily or one time swap dealss with players, there are specific GBs to target amongst guildies, friends, and hoodies.

Otherwise Imperiatus, very good stuff.

*Yes, there is one general exception to this rule. Please don't spill the beans, let the newer players try to figure it out.

DeletedUser27848

Friends don;t let friends build Colosseum or Notre Dame. I note they are not on your list of target GBs but want to emphasize the point.

Noooooo! Stop! NEVER* contribute FPs to your own GBs. You can't get any rewards for contributing to your own, you can get rewards for contributing to other players GBs. Your guild should have swap chains, you can make daily or one time swap dealss with players, there are specific GBs to target amongst guildies, friends, and hoodies.

Otherwise Imperiatus, very good stuff.

*Yes, there is one general exception to this rule. Please don't spill the beans, let the newer players try to figure it out.

* Hmmm.... o_O

Ouch! Thanks for the advice about the forge point use. Cripes I've dumped tons into my own stuff! :oops:
To be quite honest I was confused as to the right way to go about that. But having said that, there's many other players GB's I've put FP's into, and see the owner of said GB, has massively contributed to that same GB??

I will have to figure out a forge swap system... not too sure about that?? I've seen the guildies chatting about their GB's but don't know how to get in on the action.

Anytime I ever try to send a message to anybody I never seem to get replies (or more likely I don't know the workings of the chat thing yet...)

As to the first point, Glarg/Cassaundrea advice was ditto on the Colosseum so I sold it (which was painful as I lost everything I had sunk into it).
I've also read many tips to avoid Notre Dame.

It's not like I thought that ^ up, just taking the advice of the experienced players!

Thnx brother! :)

Imp...

DeletedUser25273

There is an alternate strategy that does involve putting points on your own GB. If you put a LOT of points on your own GB, and never put it on the swap threads, then when it is say 75% of level, you announce it to Guild/Neighbors/Friends, and people will donate FP to it (not just swap, free donations) to get rewards. This does need the building to be good enough to get reasonable rewards.

You can get close to this sort of frenzy if you get a single person in a swap to put a lot of points, but 1st place is normally the spot with enough rewards to attack the hords to donate. (But you also are likely to get a reasonable reward for the GB you put a lot on in exchange).

Self raising and inviting likely gets you more FP in 'reward' than swapping FP, but doesn't get you much of a chance at medals of BPs.

DeletedUser10415

Noooooo! Stop! NEVER* contribute FPs to your own GBs.

I've put the majority of the forge points into all the GBs in my nine secondary cities. When the sum of FP awards is equal to the amount of FP remaining, then I announce, sometimes to friends but mostly to global chat. My circumstances in these cities are unique however, as I have most of the blueprints I'll ever need already and my priority is wishing wells rather than advancement. I could swap FP with someone, but I'm not interested in commitments in these secondary cities where I spend very little time.

In my primary city, I do 300 FP per week with a swap partner. As most newbies have just the one city, then yes - engaging in swaps is the way to go. Starting out perhaps with 10 per day until a trusted swap partner can be found, and then getting into higher weekly amounts that both parties can manage.

Algona

I will have to figure out a forge swap system... not too sure about that?? I've seen the guildies chatting about their GB's but don't know how to get in on the action.

There is no 'right' way to play the game. Play however you enjoy! I can't stress that enough!

Insread, I'm talking about efficiency and return on FPs. Simple example: If I put 10 FP per day to my Aachen, in 6 days I have a level 2 Aachen. If a partner and I donate 10 FP per day to each other's Aachen in 6 days I have a level 2 Aachen and get a reward of 10 FPs(they go into Inventory) 8 medals, and an unneeded Aachen BP.

Slightly more complex example. I have Babel built, and need Zeus BPs. I put 10 FP per day to my Babel, in 6 days I have a level 2 Babel and have made no progress towards Zeus. I partner with someone who has a Zeus, put10 FP per day into their Zeus, they put 10 FP FP per say into my Babel . In 6 days I have level 2 Babel, 10 Inventory FPs, 7 medals, and a much needed Zeus BP.

These are simple examples, as the GB levels grow and more players get involved the complexity quickly escalates. As do the rewards and the fun! There are all kinds of techniques, deals, and strategies involved.

Have a talk with your guild leadership. They should be able to help you find players willing to do a daily FP swap and any guild wide FP swap chains and any other FP groups.

Self raising and inviting likely gets you more FP in 'reward' than swapping FP, but doesn't get you much of a chance at medals of BPs.

nomad richie, I don't understand the reasons or rewards behind this technique. Can you go into more detail?

DeletedUser26579

nomad richie, I don't understand the reasons or rewards behind this technique. Can you go into more detail?

I think I see how this would work. Say I need 200 FP for a GB level. So, I go and swap 200 FP with other people, who level my GB for me.

Instead, say I contribute 150 FP to my own building and tell people that rewards are available. They now have an incentive to donate FPs to my building. If they donate all 50 FP to get the rewards, then I've only spent 150 FP this way to level my building, when I would have spent 200 FP for swaps. However, now I don't get any rewards.

I strongly suspect that the loss of rewards roughly cancels out the fact that I spent fewer FPs total. One system might be slightly better than the other (contributing to another GB also gets you medals and BPs), but the net FPs should be more or less the same either way.

DeletedUser27848

Well you're gonna laugh but I didn't know people have been messaging me. There's no prompt to say I got a message and whenever I'd open the message thing, I'd see messages but have no idea who they are for.

I'm used to people addressing me, "Hey Imp" (or Butthead...) and then whatever the message is...

But almost nobody does that so I'm like Joe Pesci... "Are you talkin' to me!?"

DeletedUser25273

As an example, if I swap with someone to level a GB, typically I will put about 1/2 the FP needed to level the building (and the rest done is often done on swap thread, or sometimes I put more) and get the top reward prize on the GB. If I put a bit more than that on my own building, and announce it, it is likely going to get reasonably filled by people looking for rewards, getting me a lot more FP as a 'reward' (it technically isn't a 'game reward', but it is something free to me), but I won't get any BPs or Medals from it.

Concrete example. Level 4 Chateau, takes 340 FP to level. Swapping with someone, normally I would put 170 FP on, and get 35 FP, 293 Medals, and 2 BPs, then on swap threads do the other 170 FP, so 340 FP spent, for 35 FP, 293 Medals, 2 BP (net 305 FP spent) We can do a bit better if the partner is willing to go past the 50% mark and put it to 300, someone will 'donate' 20 FP to get second place, getting the 20 back for free medal and BPs, and then 20 more added via swap threads, so 320 FP spent for 35 FP reward (285 net FP spent). If I donate 270 FP to my own GB and announce, someone is apt to put 35 on to lock 1st and get 'Free' Medals and BPs, someone else puts 18 for 2nd (with 20 FP), likely someone willing to put 8 for 3rd (5 FP + 73 medals and a BP), and the rest filled with people willing to spend a few FP for the BPs. Thus I spent less FP than in the swap cases (but didn't get the medals or BPs, but often the BPs aren't that important as you are donating on buildings you already have). I might have even been able to get away a bit cheaper, as there are likely people willing to 40-45 FP on for first, costing a few FP for the medals and BPs.

DeletedUser27184

And do remember that with the Arc, the rewards for donations get bigger, and therefore you have more incentive to donate FP to another player.

DeletedUser13838

And do remember that with the Arc, the rewards for donations get bigger, and therefore you have more incentive to donate FP to another player.
This is true for all GBs since the higher level the GB the larger the fp rewards as a percentage of the total needed to level the building. Using the arc as an example, level 5 costs 400 fp and returns a total of 85 or 21.25%. Level 15 costs 1,098 fps and returns 310 or 28.23%. A level 50 Arc returns over 50% of the fps contributed and that's without the Arc bonus.