• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Goods: A case AGAINST Dresden and Royal Albert Hall

Trobb de Grobb

Goods: A case AGAINST Dresden and Royal Albert Hall

by Trobb de Grobb (Xyr) {as of 8 Aug 17}

BLUF (i.e. executive summary): The combination of ToB, LoA and SMB uses the same space as a Dresden plus a RAH but produces more goods, is much more space efficient and costs drastically less FP per good.

Unless you’re a diamond player, you’re probably like me and always looking for more efficient use of space. If you have easy access to more expansions and space isn’t an issue for you then the best strategy is to build all the goods producing Great Buildings (GB) and level them all fairly evenly to maximize the good produced per FP cost.

However, if you have limited space you have to pick and choose which GBs to build and should maximize your benefit per space and per FP spent. The common wisdom is latter age buildings are better than earlier age buildings…with goods production that just isn’t the case.

Let’s compare a combination of ToB, LoA, and SMB (TLS) with a combination of Dresden and RAH (DR). The TLS combination takes 68 spaces and the DR combination takes 67 spaces…so close I’m considering them as having the same space requirement. When at level 10, TLS produces 59 goods at a total FP cost of 8,310 and DR produces 44 goods at level 10 for a FP cost of 7,490. This means that TLS produces goods at a cost of 141 FP per good but DR costs 170 FP per good! Clearly the combination of TLS is greatly more efficient!

Let’s consider this a different way. At level ten, DR produces 44 goods for a cost of 7,480 FP. A TLS with levels of 10, 4, 5 respectively produce the same 44 goods with the same space requirement for only 3,520 FP! … less than half the FP cost!!!

The other considerations are the other productions of the GBs. The level 10 TLS produces 1,140 population, +145% supply, and +250% coin. The level 10 DR produces +200% supply and 4,900 happiness. To me, the secondary production of the TLS is more desirable. Happiness can be gained from other GBs and specialty event buildings as a by product and for me the extra +55% supply doesn’t impact my play. The +250% coin means a lot more FPs and the extra population is very efficient in the first half of the game. Also, the +250% coin from the SMB is the only GB to provide that coin boost to offset the loss of coins from using population GBs. The clear winner for the secondary production is the TLS combination.

TL:DR (or summary): If you have tons of available space get all the goods GBs and level them evenly to get the most effect from your FPs. Otherwise, the combination of ToB + LoA + SMB is the most space and FP efficient.

I look forward to your replies.

DeletedUser28670

Supplies come in higher demand later and such you want RaH and LoA. This is from a 100 percent Math view, while it is true in a math sense..... I don't think it actually applies in FoE. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I would (and do) choose to build all 5 of these GBs. Never a question of which is better, if they're beneficial I build them. :D

DeletedUser26120

I think I'll move this to forge hall for discussion as it's not really a guide, but a suggestion.

DeletedUser27849

I believe for each player it is up to their playing style as if they are a farmer then they want all the GB's that produce goods. Plus, you are not taking into account once you get to Modern ERA you are going to want as much producing goods as possible. You are also not taking into account that as you progress in ERA and plan it out correctly have the LOA and RAH means less production buildings you will need which means less coin/supplies and space even spent. Pair the LoA and RAH with the Dynamic Tower you just might not have to lay down production buildings which means saving on population which means less houses (unless you have the Inno), which means more space is open. So all in all using the GB's paired with others can open space in a different way.

Trobb de Grobb

I agree and stated if you have the room, the best strategy is to build all the goods GB and level them fairly evenly for the most efficient use of FPs.

My post is for the player who has limited space. Also, I posted to show that later GBs are NOT always the best and most efficient. When it comes to goods, the earlier GBs are significantly more efficient in terms of space and FP per good produced!

Deepdiver6, I agree that removing the need for production buildings and their population frees up even more space. I like the TLS combination with The Capitol and Habitat. The Capitol and Habitat provide the population, supply, and coins and the LoA and SMB provide the supply and coin boost. This greatly reduces the need for houses and production buildings. The supply need per day changes if you rush through the ages. If you rush through the ages then your need for supplies per day is much greater than if you stop in each age to level up your GBs.

DeletedUser

What about having Inno and Habitat instead? I think the only big issue would be keeping your happiness above 120%. I try to keep mine there without anything polished so I never worry about it. What would be the best way/combo o do this with just GB's?
Alcatraz and Hagia go a long way towards this target.

DeletedUser13838

Those are big GBs (112 spaces total). Both at level 25 combine to give around 28k happiness. When polished, a premium cultural from OF (30 spaces) or AF (36) gives more happiness. I wouldn't build and level those GBs because of their happiness but because they give 23 units and 15 fps per day.

DeletedUser

Those are big GBs (112 spaces total). Both at level 25 combine to give around 28k happiness. When polished, a premium cultural from OF (30 spaces) or AF (36) gives more happiness. I wouldn't build and level those GBs because of their happiness but because they give 23 units and 15 fps per day.
Who ever said they built them for the Happiness alone? Certainly not me. I take all boosts/bonuses of GBs into account when I decide to build them. A premium cultural from any era gives no FP and no troops, so why would you even compare them to these 2 GBs?

ITown

I'm not sure anybody even disagrees with the original premise: if you're a new player and only in HMA, dresden and RAH are not needed.

However if you're in the progressive era it is definitely worth building all 5. Because it's not an either-or situation. You can have all 5. And they're all superior to ordinary buildings.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure anybody even disagrees with the original premise: if you're a new player and only in HMA, dresden and RAH are not needed.

However if you're in the progressive era it is definitely worth building all 5. Because it's not an either-or situation. You can have all 5. And they're all superior to ordinary buildings.
I would agree with that assessment. I don't know that anyone has consciously considered building the Dresden and RAH instead of rather than in addition to the other 3.

Algona

Interesting analysis. Well written, thought provoking. I look forward to more posts from you.

I ran all 5 in ProgE. My Guildies loved me because combined with 3 MP and 2 Exp factories I was ablt ro provide the goods for Reaz avery 2 weeks,

Now in CE a new generation of Guildies love me for being able to provide Traz Goods again, COmbined with 15 WWs, I average 220 Goods per day.

25 Traz 10 Chateau and counting.

DeletedUser26154

Unless you’re a diamond player, you’re probably like me and always looking for more efficient use of space.

We The Payers squeeze every millimeter of efficiency we can from our floor plans.
That's why we buy Diamonds.
The Premium Cultural and Supply buildings open up all sorts of extra land.

The other considerations are the other productions of the GBs

Dresden and Royal Albert Hall both give Unrefined Goods.
You'll need as many G.B.s that give Unrefined Goods as you can get.
That alone makes both worth keeping.
Add Royal Albert Hall's Supply Boost, and there's another reason to keep it.

You should have both these buildings in order to have smooth future progression.
No way around it.

TL:DR (or summary)

images.jpg

Now which one of the three Middle Ages are you in again?

DeletedUser26120

Unless you’re a diamond player, you’re probably like me and always looking for more efficient use of space.
I'd like to note that a one-time payment of $80 during a 40% bonus sale is enough to buy you about 16-18 extra expansions from BA to PME if you spend it on nothing else.

That doesn't necessarily make you a "diamond player". If you did $80 twice (at 40%+) in the whole game you'd probably have all the bonus expansions.

DeletedUser27849

Not necessarily, depending on how you go about building your city, if players will chase the higher age ERA GB's while they are in lower ages in the long run it can give them more advantages.

DeletedUser

I would rather have the Traz and FOD, the Hagia is waste of space for what little you get.
And I'd rather have the Traz, Dresden and Hagia...and I do. In my 2 main cities. Hagia is not a waste of space to many of us, that is strictly your personal opinion.