• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Goods buildings Strategy?

Lankybrit

Hi,

I'm interested in what you guys suggest as you move through the ages? Do you replace Goods Buildings from the previous era with the ones for the new era, or do you keep them going? I'm thinking of having 2 era times 2 buildings up and then replacing ones for two eras ago once I unlock from the next era + 1. Does that seem like a good strategy? I'm assume you build 1 of each for each one you have a boost on.

DeletedUser

Strategies for goods buildings vary wildly among players. And with event buildings and Recurring Quests providing so many goods nowadays, many players forgo having goods buildings at all at some point. I have an Iron Age city where I still haven't built any Iron Age goods buildings and long ago deleted my Bronze Age ones. And all I have right now for goods production is a Tower of Babel and a level 9 Charcoal Express Winter Train, supplemented by a few Recurring Quests each day. And in most of my advanced cities (2 CE, 1 FE 1 OFE) I have not had goods buildings at all in a long, long time.

Lankybrit

Thanks. I'm a new player though, so I don't have special buildings that can provide goods (except for the new Treasury). I'd be interested in hearing other views too.

DeletedUser

Thanks. I'm a new player though, so I don't have special buildings that can provide goods (except for the new Treasury). I'd be interested in hearing other views too.
For players that do use goods buildings, the experienced ones will generally either only use current, boosted buildings, or they will use the strategy you outlined of using current and previous age only. If there is room, however, having multiples instead of just one of each is a better strategy. At least in my opinion. (I'll shut up now and let others weigh in if they wish to add anything.)

RazorbackPirate

Yes. Keeping 2 ages of boosted goods buildings is a good idea. Keep in mind that when you trade down at 1 for 2, every good you make doubles in number. Think of it also as a time savings. 5 EMA goods, which take 4 hours to produce becomes 10 IA goods, and 8 hour production run had they been produced in IA buildings. Those 10 IA goods traded down to BA, becomes 20 goods, a 24 hour production.

Your first goal should be to produce an excess of the 2 boosted goods from the last 2 ages. If you have the pop, build 2 of each boosted current age building and one of the previous age. Then when you have enough goods, trade them around at 1:1 until you have 50 of each current age good. Then trade down 5ea. of all 5 current age goods for 10 ea. of all 5 previous age goods.

5 Cloth for 10 Marble
5 Cloth for 10 Lumber
5 Cloth for 10 Dye
5 Cloth for 10 Stone
5 Cloth for 10 Wine

5 Ebony for 10 Marble
5 Ebony for 10 ... You get the idea.

This will make your trades accessible to the maximum number of players, a little something, something, for everyone. If you only trade your 2 boosted goods for everything else, your trades are only good to those few players who need those two goods and have two of the other three in abundance.

Put up a whole bunch of trades and let them sit for others to take. When they do get taken, put up some more. Just keep building your totals, trying to keep the number of all 5 goods in each age about equal.

Put up a little something something, for everyone and be the store everyone else shops at.

DeletedUser40704

Hi,

I'm interested in what you guys suggest as you move through the ages? Do you replace Goods Buildings from the previous era with the ones for the new era, or do you keep them going? I'm thinking of having 2 era times 2 buildings up and then replacing ones for two eras ago once I unlock from the next era + 1. Does that seem like a good strategy? I'm assume you build 1 of each for each one you have a boost on.
I have no goods buildings and have not had any since PE. I get all my goods from event specials and rewards buildings like terraced farms. That way I do not need 2 lane roads, unrefined goods and the hassle of changing them out every age. If you fight through GE, you will gain goods instead of bleeding them. Also, finishing GE every week gives me the One-Ups and Reno kits needed to upgrade goods producing specials.

DeletedUser40704

I have no goods buildings and have not had any since PE. I get all my goods from event specials and rewards buildings like terraced farms. That way I do not need 2 lane roads, unrefined goods and the hassle of changing them out every age. If you fight through GE, you will gain goods instead of bleeding them. Also, finishing GE every week gives me the One-Ups and Reno kits needed to upgrade goods producing specials. After I accumulate 5 to 7 thousand of each good, it is time to move to the next age.

Lankybrit

Thanks everyone. I love the idea of getting 50 of everything before moving on. I'm still fighting with the tech tree needing lots of old era goods atm.

RazorbackPirate

Thanks everyone. I love the idea of getting 50 of everything before moving on. I'm still fighting with the tech tree needing lots of old era goods atm.
Not before moving on, before you start trading for the other stuff. You'll need BA goods for the next 3 ages, more each age. You should not think about moving out of IA until you have 100 of each IA good in inventory and 200-250 of each BA good. By EMA you'll want 500 of each, HMA even more, participate in GBG, DC and GE and you'll need more, more more.

Stop doing tech and you'll stop fighting with the tech tree. There's no glory in moving forward poverty stricken. That's a recipe for failure.

Kranyar the Mysterious

You should not think about moving out of IA until you have 100 of each IA good in inventory and 200-250 of each BA good.
Even that seems like way over rushing things.

Iron Age is a great age to stay in for a little while, even if you don't plan to camp. Compared to Iron Age, EMA just plain sucks. HMA is much better, but you still have to deal with those pesky mounted archers while fighting.

I always recommend staying in Iron Age until you at least get a Zeus built and leveled a little.

Algona

Argggh. There used to be a thread on this forum that showed how many of each Goods of each of each type of each Era were needed for the tech tree.

Someplace in the official wiki?

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

Appreciated SL, but the deleted thread in the Guides section had the totals needed for each Good for each Era. Incredibly convenient to know exactly how many Goods were needed for tech and planning appropriately.

DeletedUser

Appreciated SL, but the deleted thread in the Guides section had the totals needed for each Good for each Era. Incredibly convenient to know exactly how many Goods were needed for tech and planning appropriately.
You have given me my project for today.