• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Great Building Block

• Thread starter DeletedUser17543
  • Start date

Jern2017

I absolutely agree with you, @Algona. Perhaps Python has a different definition of what a snipe is.

In some guilds with less advanced members I was a member of, players seemed to think they got sniped when another player donated three or four times more than the reward for that spot was. Something like this happened yesterday in my Diamond farm world. A guildmate posted their Arc in the guild thread saying that the 4th spot was open, then added "never mind, it got sniped" a couple of minutes later. I took a look at it - the reward for 4th was 15 FP. The "sniper" donated over 70 FPs.

Vger

There are no effective ways to prevent sniping.
Sure there is. Lock the spot. 100% fool proof.

The only reason 'sniping' exists is because folk make bad bids. No bad bids, no 'sniping.'

How to make your Guild 'sniper' proof? Teach your Guildies not to make bad bids.
Can't agree with 100% fool proof. Maybe 99% fool proof?

When a GB is in the sweet spot, it can be sniped the instant it's unlocked. There is no 100% fool proof solution to that. The only thing you can do is reduce the amount of time between the unlock and the spots being filled the way you want them filled. The couple times my arc got sniped were because that window was opened just a little bit too long. Shrug...add more FP and move along.

But, yeah...the 99% of snipes I find are the bad bid (or over-prime) variety. Easily preventable. Just not 100%.

Algona

When a GB is in the sweet spot, it can be sniped the instant it's unlocked. There is no 100% fool proof solution to that. The only thing you can do is reduce the amount of time between the unlock and the spots being filled the way you want them filled. The couple times my arc got sniped were because that window was opened just a little bit too long. Shrug...add more FP and move along.

Weeellll, now, I can't rightly agree to that. 'Snipin'g is when someone gets beat out of a position *. Nobody got beat, just the owner not getting what they think is their due.

The game itself demonstrates the baselessness and futility of that desire.

*I got a 100% rigorous definition of what I actually consider sniping,it's what I teach my apprentices. Seems though that folk don;t want to accept that definition because it basically means those folk who think their GBs deserve 1.9 are engaging in wishful thinking. Folk don't seem to like that.

OTOH, none of my apprentices ever kvetch about getting 'sniped' either.

Last edited:

Vger

Weeellll, now, I can't rightly agree to that. 'Snipin'g is when someone gets beat out of a position *. Nobody got beat, just the owner not getting what they think is their due.

The game itself demonstrates the baselessness and futility of that desire.

*I got a 100% rigorous definition of what I actually consider sniping,it's what I teach my apprentices. Seems though that folk don;t want to accept that definition because it basically means those folk who think their GBs deserve 1.9 are engaging in wishful thinking. Folk don't seem to like that.

OTOH, none of apprentices ever kvetch about getting 'sniped' either.
Well, I guess you are entitled to your definition of Snipin'g. I never really liked the term to begin with, kind of stolen from EBay, and lost a bit in the translation.

But,it is the term most players use when they are planning on a 1.9 contribution, and get less. Some kvetch about it. I don't. I don't think kvetch is the right reaction. Like I said, shrug your shoulders, add FPs and move on.

Since you don't like (what I think is) the commonly used definition of 'Snipin'g, is there are different word people should use? What word should I use to communicate the fact that a hoodie locked a spot on my GB for less than the 1.9 rate? What word should I use in the 1.9 to indicate that a spot has been locked on anthers GB for less than 1.9.

I do think it is awesome when I catch a hoodie that does 1.9, but I can lock the spot for less than that.
Maybe we should call it Awesomed?

GuildChat: Can anyone take 1 and 2 on my Arc in 1.9 before it gets Awesomed?
1.9: Vger Arc 2 1 ( P1 Awesomed).

Naw, that doesn't sound right. What word do your apprentices use?

Algona

What word do your apprentices use?

Bastard. Oh, wait, you mean for 'sniping'. I though you were asking what term they use for me.

I don;t care what word others use. I understand it, I also understand that because they can't define it there will invariably be disagreement. Like calling not getting the 1.9 you want on your GB getting 's'niped'.

I prefer 'getting beat' or 'bad bidding' to describe the guy who puts on some FP only to get passed up by someone. Embrace the reality, I got beat because I made a bad bid.

'Sniper' gives a target (see what I did there?) to which to assign blame. This is a big part of the problem in fixing folks attitude and teaching them how to avoid such. As you know from this forum folk much prefer blaming others instead of admitting fault.

Dunno that I ever even though about a term for not getting your 1.9 wish, I don;t do 1.9. Yeah, it costs me FP occasionally, but since my overall FP strategy is pretty profitable, I don;t care if I lose a few hundred or thousand FP.

Call it sniping if you want, but seems like another case of trying to blame others for an unrealistoc expectation.

----------

BTW: just for fun here's my definition of sniping. i created this so I could have an objective definition I could use when adjudicating Guildie disputes:

Sniping: When a player overbids an existing mistake in bidding that can be resolved by either underbidding or overbidding such that both players still maintain the two Reward positions except their individual places are reversed.

The ramifications are interesting and illuminating.

Vger

Call it sniping if you want...
For lack of a better term, yes, I will call it that.

... seems like another case of trying to blame others for an unrealistoc expectation.
It can be. I've had a couple players I've sniped demand there 1.9 entitlement. Kinda funny to see.

There *IS* a reasonable expectation when you put a GB on a 1.9 thread that you will get the 1.9. I plan my GB leveling around that "reasonable expectation".
It is not at all an "unrealistoc expectation". It is also not at all a gimme, or, good grief, an entitlement. Maybe players get spoiled because they do get the 1.9 so often, they can't deal with being sniped?

Triopoly Champion

It can be. I've had a couple players I've sniped demand there 1.9 entitlement. Kinda funny to see.

There *IS* a reasonable expectation when you put a GB on a 1.9 thread that you will get the 1.9. I plan my GB leveling around that "reasonable expectation".
It is not at all an "unrealistoc expectation". It is also not at all a gimme, or, good grief, an entitlement. Maybe players get spoiled because they do get the 1.9 so often, they can't deal with being sniped?
The players can only demand the 1.9 amount from the guildies because that's usually where the thread locates, not from the neighbors.

If someone demands the 1.9 amount from the neighbors, it's clearly the abuse of power, then the neighbor should attack and plunder his/her city.